Surname Change (passport)

Lakdee

Hello all,

I have some questions for my Thai wife. We have been legally married in Swiss almost 3 yrs. We are going to Thailand this year and we have planned that we will register our marriage in Thai law also because we must make our baby's Thai passport in BKK ( I have got lot of advices about making Thai passport for my kid from this site previously, thanks for all again).

My question is her now Passport is in her Thai surname and we 've bought her ticket in her Thai surname. I would like to know whether there is any problem( if surname changed ) will make any problem of airticket when we get off from BKK?

If she makes change on her surname to use mine, she needs to make new passport or just change surname on current passport? Can we just use old passport without changing surname? Anyone know the cost ?

Thanks for all advices in advance. Any information that might be useful for us, please kindly advise also.

Best regards,

Lakdee

Hello all,

I have some questions for my Thai wife. We have been legally married in Swiss almost 3 yrs. We are going to Thailand this year and we have planned that we will register our marriage in Thai law also because we must make our baby's Thai passport in BKK ( I have got lot of advices about making Thai passport for my kid from this site previously, thanks for all again).

My question is her now Passport is in her Thai surname and we 've bought her ticket in her Thai surname. I would like to know whether there is any problem( if surname changed ) will make any problem of airticket when we get off from BKK?

If she makes change on her surname to use mine, she needs to make new passport or just change surname on current passport? Can we just use old passport without changing surname? Anyone know the cost ?

Thanks for all advices in advance. Any information that might be useful for us, please kindly advise also.

Best regards,

Lakdee

Lakdee

My Thai girlfriend changed her surname - she retained the original passport with a stamp on page three showing the change of name - we've had no problems in and out of Bangkok/LHR

Johnb

Hello all,

Best regards,

Lakdee

Lakdee

My Thai girlfriend changed her surname - she retained the original passport with a stamp on page three showing the change of name - we've had no problems in and out of Bangkok/LHR

Johnb

Thanks for Johnb and George. I will tell my wife about this.

Can you tell me the cost of changing surname? If it is similar to making new passport, maybe we 'd better make new passport.. :o

Best regards,

Lakdee

Sorry dont know cost but wasnt a lot :o

All the best

Johnb

Thanks for replies from Johnb and Branco.

Last question, what document we need to take with if she needs to change her surname? Her ID card (with my surname) only is enough?

All she have to do is bringing along the marriage certificate, Tabien Ban and ID to the district office ( Amphur ) for change of name, the district office will issued her a certificate with the new surname. With all these documents, she can make a new ID card right away in the district office and thereafter she can apply a new passport at foreign ministry at cheang wattana road.

My wife did the name changed in one day excluding collection on her new passport.

Hello all,

I have been married for nearly 20 years. My wife has kept her Thai identity papers, inlcuding passport, in her maiden name the entire time. We have never had any problem with traveling as she has official US documents using our family's surname also, The only headache we ever had was at a neighboring Thai consulate where the consulate-general was this Bangkok dragon lady who was not happy with the situation and refused to extend my wife's Thai passport. We had no problems sending the passport down to Los Angeles for the extension.

The only problem I am aware of is that a Thai woman, with a farang surname on her ID card can have difficulties buying land - the Land Office often (from hearsay I must admit) states that she cannot buy new land - same as a farang

When my wife changed her name and applied for a new Thai passport in her new name, it was a real hassle. Her sense was that, on the whole, the low-level Thai government employees with whom she dealt weren't interested in being particularly helpful to a Thai woman who had taken a 'foreign' name.

The first step is that she has to change her name on her Thai ID and get a new ID issued. Until that is done, a new passport is a nonstarter. That is done by the district office where you reside, which has nothing to do with passports. After the district office issues a new ID, then you will have the separate pleasure of dealing with the passport office at the Foreign Ministry.

The most difficult problem we had was that we, too, had a foreign marriage certificate, which made things much more complicated. Not only did it have to be translated (a certified translation by an authorized translator only, please), but my embassy had to certify it as valid.

Naturally, no embassy is in the business of certifying documents as valid, so that was a bit of a problem. We finally fixed it by having an affidavit written in which I said the certificate was valid and the embassy notarized the affidavit to attest my signature was valid. That went through. The gold seal and the ribbon seemed to work even if the contents of the affidavit were nonsense.

Anyway, it can be done, you wife can get a new passport and ID in her married name, but prepare yourself for a potentially difficult and annoying process. Different people have different experiences, of course, and it seems rather to be the luck of the draw.

The only problem I am aware of is that a Thai woman, with a farang surname on her ID card can have difficulties buying land - the Land Office often (from hearsay I must admit) states that she cannot buy new land - same as a farang

I wonder how long this urban myth will continue to be brought up. :o I cannot recall a single instance being mentioned here in the past couple of years were this has happened. My own experience with 3 different land offices is there is no problem.

TH

I wonder how long this urban myth will continue to be brought up. :D I cannot recall a single instance being mentioned here in the past couple of years were this has happened. My own experience with 3 different land offices is there is no problem.

TH

The law's only changed since March 1999. :o The myth should go on for about another 10 years. :D

I have some questions for my Thai wife. We have been legally married in Swiss almost 3 yrs. We are going to Thailand this year and we have planned that we will register our marriage in Thai law

Best regards,

Lakdee

You are not just legally married in Switzerland, but in most countries in the world. :o

When you say you are going to register the Marriage in Thai Law I presume you mean just changing id and tabien bahn as this is all that's required. You cannot register the marriage at Amphur, as you are already married under Swiss Law which is recognised by Thailand.

The rest regarding translations, etc. is as OldAsiaHand states.

I have some questions for my Thai wife. We have been legally married in Swiss almost 3 yrs. We are going to Thailand this year and we have planned that we will register our marriage in Thai law

Best regards,

Lakdee

You are not just legally married in Switzerland, but in most countries in the world. :o

When you say you are going to register the Marriage in Thai Law I presume you mean just changing id and tabien bahn as this is all that's required. You cannot register the marriage at Amphur, as you are already married under Swiss Law which is recognised by Thailand.

Hello all again,

Thanks for all comments.

Actually, we are not so much interested in changing name in passport. But the most important thing that we would like to do is to make our marriage registered in THAILAND. As I have found some difficulty to make THAI passport for my baby in Swiss, so I would like to make in THAILAND. And marraige certificate is a must for making passport for baby. That's the main reason.

Besides , as we must get marriage certificate in THAILAND so we have little discussed on passport topic. I myself have no problem and don't think it is important to change surname of passport. But my wife said if we coudl make things done at same time, that might be good. She means we must go make passport for kid, so she can change her surname on passport also.

However, I hope & wish that our case would be more smoother than OldAsiaHand . Thanks for OldAsiaHand to share your experience.

Thanks so much for all replies again

best regards,

lakdee

Best regards,

Lakdee

Hello all again,

Thanks for all comments.

Actually, we are not so much interested in changing name in passport. But the most important thing that we would like to do is to make our marriage registered in THAILAND. As I have found some difficulty to make THAI passport for my baby in Swiss, so I would like to make in THAILAND. And marraige certificate is a must for making passport for baby. That's the main reason.

Besides , as we must get marriage certificate in THAILAND so we have little discussed on passport topic. I myself have no problem and don't think it is important to change surname of passport. But my wife said if we coudl make things done at same time, that might be good. She means we must go make passport for kid, so she can change her surname on passport also.

However, I hope & wish that our case would be more smoother than OldAsiaHand . Thanks for OldAsiaHand to share your experience.

Thanks so much for all replies again

best regards,

lakdee

You cannot get a Thai marriage certificate as you are already married.( never come across a case of bigamy with your own wife :D ) Unless you go to the Amphur and get divorced first. :D You need to confirm to the Embassy and the Thai Authorities you are divorced in order to get married. As said previously, just need the authenticated translation. This is the Marriage Certificate in Thailand.

Hello all again,

Thanks for all information & replies.

I made a call to Thai Embassy in Swiss as I used to make marriage certificate translated to Thai already early of this year and this paper is verified (legalized) by Consulat Général Royal de Thaïlande - Genève. I just would like to cross check what I must do when I arrive TH- They said, just bring that paper and go to Ampur and then my wife can change surname on Tabien Ban, ID card, and use new ID card to process on Passport.. Because Consulat Général Royal de Thaïlande - Genève act as Thai Embassy and that mean it act as Government also.. Sound easy???

However, I sent email to Swiss embassy in BKK to make one more crosschek, they replied and said that the above paper seems OK but it must be legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok before doing other process..

So now... I am little confused.. which one I should follow.. Anyone has suggestions ?? Maybe I need to ask Ampur when I am in BKK to finalize ... :o

Thanks all again..

Best regards,

Lakdee

Lakdee,

I recall your case about the Thai embassy not issuing a Thai passport for your daughter.

However, I do believe that you have a Thai birth certificate for your daughter, is that correct?

As others have said, you can not re-marry here. You are already married. Additionally, it will be impossible for you to try. As a foreigner, before you marry in thailand, you need to get a letter from the embassy saying you are free to marry. You, Lakdee, are not free to marry however as you already are!!!

See this link for the process:

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/for_marry.html

I can confirm that foreign marriage certificates are fully recognised here. Me (thai) and my wife (New Zealand) have an Australian marriage certificate which has been fully recoginised by immigration an the Ampur where my wife and I registered our daughter on the house registration.

Additionally, there is no need for your wife to change her name. If it is already on the birth certificate as her maiden name, then I'd actually leave it like that.

As for the passport registratoin, the instructions are here at this site in Thai:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/458.php

Go about half way down. As your wife will tell you when you read this, changing the name for you baby's passport will only make more work for her in terms of running around, as well as increase the documentaton requirements for the passport.

One thing that I would do before getting the pasport however, is registering your child on the Tabieen Baan where her mother is. Having your name in the house book is very very useful for a lot of things. As well, in doing so, she will get issued an ID number which will then be put into the passport.

Hello Samran,

Thanks for your reply and information. I have added my reply and also ask you a questions. Please kindly advise.

Lakdee,

I recall your case about the Thai embassy not issuing a Thai passport for your daughter.

However, I do believe that you have a Thai birth certificate for your daughter, is that correct?

Yes , I have got Thai birth Certificate for my daughter on hand now. it was issued by Thai embassy here.

As others have said, you can not re-marry here. You are already married. Additionally, it will be impossible for you to try. As a foreigner, before you marry in thailand, you need to get a letter from the embassy saying you are free to marry. You, Lakdee, are not free to marry however as you already are!!!

See this link for the process:

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/for_marry.html

I can confirm that foreign marriage certificates are fully recognised here. Me (thai) and my wife (New Zealand) have an Australian marriage certificate which has been fully recoginised by immigration an the Ampur where my wife and I registered our daughter on the house registration.

Can you tell me whether your Marriage Certificate need to be legalized by Foreign Department or not?

Additionally, there is no need for your wife to change her name. If it is already on the birth certificate as her maiden name, then I'd actually leave it like that.

As for the passport registratoin, the instructions are here at this site in Thai:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/458.php

Thanks for the link, I will tell my wife to read for me..

Go about half way down. As your wife will tell you when you read this, changing the name for you baby's passport will only make more work for her in terms of running around, as well as increase the documentaton requirements for the passport.

One thing that I would do before getting the pasport however, is registering your child on the Tabieen Baan where her mother is. Having your name in the house book is very very useful for a lot of things. As well, in doing so, she will get issued an ID number which will then be put into the passport.

Yes I will do so. I think my daughter should get her Thai passport as soon as possible..One question, can I have my name on Tabieen Ban also, even i live mainly in Swiss now?? Please kindly give me more details how to do..

Thanks in advance...

Best regards,

Lakdee

Yes , I have got Thai birth Certificate for my daughter on hand now. it was issued by Thai embassy here.

Thats good. You'll definetly need the Thai BC for the passport application.

Can you tell me whether your Marriage Certificate need to be legalized by Foreign Department or not?

In our case we didn't need to. In any case, I don't think foreign issued documents can be legalised by the foreign affairs department. They can only verify the authenticity of Thai documents translated into English. The Birth certificate says who the parents are anyway.

Yes I will do so. I think my daughter should get her Thai passport as soon as possible..One question, can I have my name on Tabieen Ban also, even i live mainly in Swiss now?? Please kindly give me more details how to do..

Your daughter, and her mother, with the BC, your wifes ID etc etc, should go to the amphur where she is registered to get put on the tabieen baan. The head of the house hold will have to go down to allow a new entry into the house book.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to be put on the tabieen baan. It is for Thai's and Permanent residents only.

One question I have....what is the reason that the Thai embassy in Bern uses to refuse the passport. It is quite unusual for them to refuse a request, as all other Thai embassies are able to process passport applications.

Thats good. You'll definetly need the Thai BC for the passport application.

In our case we didn't need to. In any case, I don't think foreign issued documents can be legalised by the foreign affairs department. They can only verify the authenticity of Thai documents translated into English. The Birth certificate says who the parents are anyway.

Your daughter, and her mother, with the BC, your wifes ID etc etc, should go to the amphur where she is registered to get put on the tabieen baan. The head of the house hold will have to go down to allow a new entry into the house book.

Unfortunately, you are not eligible to be put on the tabieen baan. It is for Thai's and Permanent residents only.

One question I have....what is the reason that the Thai embassy in Bern uses to refuse the passport. It is quite unusual for them to refuse a request, as all other Thai embassies are able to process passport applications.

Hello Samran,

Thanks for reply ..

The reason that they don't want to make passport in Swiss for my daughter is she is too young. They said that they will make passport for kid whos is over 7 yrs old, kid must be able to sit and look into camera by himself. Also they have got new system/machine to make passport..etc.... I used to claim about what website stated to them also. they said the website was not uptodate. The reason seems weird to me, but I have no choice and just accepted.

Thanks again for all, I will tell my wife and fix what we have to do step by step to get things done.. :o

Best regards,

lakdee