Two die in oil tank explosion in Chonburi province

webfact

a man died because he was never taught properly. there might be a wife and children. but a number of arrogant Farangs have nothing to contribute except the usual arrogant bitching.

bah.gif

nice one.

please describe how the Farangs can contribute to this article more productively. The Farangs on here know a thing or two and perhaps the Thai's can learn a little, as this incident describes this company should be a first learning experience. Although no amount of learning will bring back the men, and as you say the kid's father or husband to the grieving wife.

How come you don't mention the arrogance of the owner of the transport company who had an unsafe worksite - do you think he was Farang or Thai?

a man died because he was never taught properly. there might be a wife and children. but a number of arrogant Farangs have nothing to contribute except the usual arrogant bitching.

bah.gif

Naam,

I can't speak for others, but I feel " anger." Of course my thoughts go out to their families, but things like this really p*ss me off to be honest ! I accept some stupidity - such as motorbikes coming at me on the highway on the wrong side of the road, but that is independent stupidity. People who are welding Oil Tankers must be working for someone, presumably a company that has been awarded the task of repairing this vessel on the grounds that this contractor has sufficient knowledge and skill to do the job. There are 2 x issues here. 1.) The company that asked for the Oil Tanker to be repaired - knowing what has been inside it and knowing what hazard are associated with carrying a fuel. 2.) The company then that has agreed to do the job - that should know about the hazards of using welding equipment in different environments.

This simply should not happen and would not happen in many parts of the world, or if qualified people were involved. It's really sad that lives are lost in such circumstances.

if qualified people were involved

the problem is you can't bake qualified people or order them from ebay. my anger is directed at those who blame or call the poor ignorant bugger who died stupid.

Sorry, but you have to be pretty stupid to be welding inside a tank with fuel in it. The guy has probably ridden a motorbike and maybe joined the dots that there are little explosions in the bike's engine. Stupid also is the guy that asked him to do it if he knew that the welder was not the right guy. Many other stupid people involved.

There are many stupid things that go on in this country, and my own country for that matter. But a lot more here. Stupidity is taking shortcuts on stuff like this.

Naam,

I can't speak for others, but I feel " anger." Of course my thoughts go out to their families, but things like this really p*ss me off to be honest ! I accept some stupidity - such as motorbikes coming at me on the highway on the wrong side of the road, but that is independent stupidity. People who are welding Oil Tankers must be working for someone, presumably a company that has been awarded the task of repairing this vessel on the grounds that this contractor has sufficient knowledge and skill to do the job. There are 2 x issues here. 1.) The company that asked for the Oil Tanker to be repaired - knowing what has been inside it and knowing what hazard are associated with carrying a fuel. 2.) The company then that has agreed to do the job - that should know about the hazards of using welding equipment in different environments.

This simply should not happen and would not happen in many parts of the world, or if qualified people were involved. It's really sad that lives are lost in such circumstances.

Welding on tanks and them going bang has happened in every country in world, please don't infer it wouldnt happen in certain countries, yes it would and has

Of course it has happened before in many countries, but there is now a much wider understanding of these types of hazards. Accidents such as this, with relatively simple risk assessment, can and should be avoided. There will always be accidents where it's " new territory, " but this is hardly new territory - is it !
You were the one who said it would not happen in many parts of the world....I challenged that and say it would, does and will continue to happen even with risk assessment, HAZID and all the other fancy HES processes that get thrown about

As to your "new territory" comment, mankind has been on the sea's for thousands of years, yet ferries and cruise ships capsize and people are killed, man has been producing oil and gas for over a 100 years in the western world, but rigs catch fire, refineries still explode even to this day even with all HES processes in place

Whoa, slow down guys.

If you were actually reading to understand then you would realize the two of you have the same concerns.

Plenty of topics you can be enemies on but with this one you're on the same team ;-)

Edited by ClutchClark

Two men died because of negligence on the part of the company they worked for. Nothing more. Corporate health and saftey needs to something that the good general should tackle.

Not that i am defending any employer's/companies but I am curious why you say that ?

The sentiment your showing is one of the reasons we why people get hurt because they expect someone else to keep them safe

For anyone who is or has worked in construction/heavy engineering etc, factories etc, they will be aware of the job hazard analysis that needs to be done before a job, and people are made to sign on the line that they understand and have read this.....

Its supposed to make things safer ?..... In reality what is for is to shift liability from the company to the worker if there is an accident later on, as this becomes a legal document

This company liability thing is at the core of all corporate HES programmes, not the good of the worker

Don't get me wrong, I am all for safety etc and my remarks may sound cynical, but I am giving you the reality after spending nearly the last 30 years working all over the world

The point being look after yourself and don't rely on someone else.

• Like 1

If this kind od accident is allowed to happen time and again here in Thailand, it will not be too long before half the country is blown off the face of the earth.

Stupidy / greed ,+ chemicals and petroleum based products, + Map Ta Phut = REALLY big bang potentially