Trolley accident on sloping escalator

Accident on escalator at Suvarnabhumi Airport

I'm used to using trolleys at Big C where there are long sloping escalators.

After leaving Big C a few times with heavily loaded trolleys we routinely go down the escalator although I'm always worried that if the wheels don't catch properly in the tracks we could have an accident.

In theory the trolley could become a rolling missile that could cause many injuries or worse to the many people usually riding in front of us.

So far nothing has happened apart from the trolley precariously rolling a few inches before stopping.

I always keep a good grip of the trolley just to be safe as I don't trust the mechanics entirely.

After all, this is Thailand where the safety of equipment is not given a high priority in many situations.

Recently after arriving at Suvarnabhumi I loaded up my 3 cases (about 30Kg in total) onto a trolley and exited via customs.

I then headed down to the coffee shop on the lower level near the train station to meet my Thai GF.

I used the sloping elevators to get down there without incident.

After we met and had a coffee we headed back to the sloping elevator to go up to the next level and my GF insisted on pushing the trolley for me (as Thai GF's often do, trying to be helpful).

She was slightly in front of me as we walked onto the escalator.

After about 10 metres the trolley started rolling backwards. My GF could not stop it and it knocked her back and in so doing caught me off balance as well.

We both fell heavily.

I remember turning and falling heavily on my outstretched hands.

My GF's foot became jammed under the trolley as it swung sideways and tipped over and jammed my suitcases against the side of the escalator.

The escalator was still moving as I retrieved my glasses that had slid a few metres further down the track. After I helped my GF to get up I righted the trolley with difficulty and put my bags back on it.

As we reached the top I lost control of it again, the trolley suddenly swung sideways and jammed against the sidewall of the escalator before I had to shove the trolley forcefully off the escalator.

We were in shock, not believing how quickly the accident had suprised us and that we had escaped without more than a few scrapes and bruises. One of my GFs new shoes was ruined.

Afterwards I checked the trolley and found the brake mechanism was barely working and it would roll on unhindered with the slightest pressure on the bar.

I assume the mechanism that should lock onto the rolling pathway had not been working correctly.

The three wheels made it very easy to steer but it was very unstable.

I can only assume this particular trolley needed servicing to correct the brakes.

Next time I will do the trolley pushing myself, but what happens when a small person gets this trolley again and takes it on a sloping escalator?

Has anybody else experienced this problem ?

Maybe you can shed some light on how this accident came about.

I should also note we were both sober at the time.

Yeah, had my trolley moving backwards last time I went upwards, had a hard time controlling the event and will only use elevators. The stupid thing being that the elevator at arrivals floor after customs is not stopping at this level. If you want to go up one level you will need to walk and find an other elevator. Brilliant airport Suwannawhatisit.

• Like 1

The trolleys have brakes which are supposed to prevent them getting away, let go of the handle and they stop.

BUT

I noticed yesterday morning coming out of swampy and up to the parking that even with my fairly light bag the brakes were not holding.

So yes, whilst there was no accident this time it's certainly quite believable that someone could get hurt.

By third-world standards, Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport is still a wondrous marvel. Suggest OP spring for a porter next time - help in this country is cheap and no need to dirty ones' hands with manual labour.

Trolley malfunctions on sloping escalators seem to be quite commonplace. Even in developed nations like Canada and 'Merica.

All aside, did you take the time after the incident to alert maintenance people to the possible defect in the braking system of the trolley? Or did you simply discard the cart, leaving it to perhaps maim a defenseless child in an upcoming sloping escalator incident?

Happens more often than you think....some people ahead of us got hung at the top at the exit and cart jammed luggage everywhere...and guess what...the escalator keeps moving and no one has anywhere to go.

My problem is when in Big C, Tesco or Suvanabumi, the Thais in front of me suddenly stop walking at the end of the sloping escalators, to have a talk or look around.

That makes me start shouting to them, to move otherwise my trolley will hit them.

They usually look at me with the expression, you stupid farang, what are you shouting to us?

One day, I won't say anything and see what happens........

• Like 1

All aside, did you take the time after the incident to alert maintenance people to the possible defect in the braking system of the trolley? Or did you simply discard the cart, leaving it to perhaps maim a defenseless child in an upcoming sloping escalator incident?

Agree. why take the time to cry about it online where it will forever be lost in the internet. Report so there is a chance for positive change.