How to approach CM University for a project to help disabled ladies

HughJass

some of you reading this forum may remember last year that I posted here regarding a project to assist two disabled ladies

the topic was called " Two Disabled ladies Requiring Help"

the outcome is posted on this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ben.hare.756/media_set?set=a.1394475570776109.1073741827.100006410378613&type=3

One of the ladies,Yai , is now suffering with an arthritic hip which along with her lifelong dwarfism disability make its very difficult and painful to walk...her sister Noi is still ambient but both of them are now in their late 50s and their mobility is being drastically affected by advancing age coupled with their disability

I am at present raising funds to purchase a mobility scooter for them but after doing some research on prices and designs it seems that they are manufactured to suit an average sized adult hence would not be practical for their needs

I have an idea to approach the Mechanical/Electrical Engineering Dept at Chiang Mai University and see if it would be possible for some degree level students( with help from the course tutor) to design and build a mobility scooter to carry the both of them and to take into account the terrain that may be encountered in the small village where they live

I would like to know if any posters here would know who to approach at CM University?

any thoughts on whether this would be a good idea or not?

does anyone with an engineering background have any advice to give me?

post-155264-0-93090600-1404496445_thumb.

post-155264-0-70489200-1404496505_thumb.

• Like 1

I saw a tiny scooter (3 wheels) tonight when I was walking around the moat. It looked like it was made for a 10 year old, so it might work for you. It is about 200-300 meters west of Chang Pueak gate. If you see the big FORD sign, and the Lotus Tesco a few doors down, it is directly opposite the Lotus Tesco on the inside of the moat.

The scooter has a SALE sign on it, and the shop appears to sell other bikes.

Again, the scooter can be seen on the inside of the moat opposite the Lotus Tesco. PM me if I can be of more help.

Approach the engineering department at the university. They might be willing to take it on as a challenge.

At the University of British Columbia in Vancouver once a year the engineering students take on a challenge for them selves.

One year they suspended a car from the lions gate bridge.

Walk through the back gate of CMU (Suthep Rd). Walk about 150m onto campus. The whole area tot he left is the various engineering schools. Knock on some doors. I saw one of their professors listed on the American Standard (Thailand) website, as a local contact. It actually listed his campus office address.

• Like 1

been having second thoughts about an electric scooter mainly because of

costs....reliability...lack of servicing options in village if it breaks down and price of parts for example replacement batteries

so now after some google time this option has come to light

http://erinmeyers88.blogspot.com/2012/07/modified-motorcycles-for-disabled.html?view=sidebar

I have two addresses for this place

The Association For ChiangMai Physically Handicapped Occupation Promotion

Organisation

186/1 Moo 4, Tambon Su Thep, Amphoe Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50200

and.............. Arcade Bus Station, Kaew Nawarat Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand

I am now giving some thought to the possibility of getting a Yamaha Mio and having it modified there

stripped to the frame and wheels...having two wheels put on the rear..the forks cut down...seating arrangement for the two of them..the most important thing would of course be rigging the throttle so it didn't go above walking pace...the Mio is auto and has an electric start and can be serviced /repaired at the local village m/c shop

I am still raising money for the project at present but some input on my ideas would be most welcome

post-155264-0-86995700-1404996436_thumb.

post-155264-0-82157700-1404996461_thumb.

Remember that charity in the vicinity of 3 Kings Monument, that specialized in specialized wheel chairs....like for persons with Spina Bifida. I think they collected about 10,000 thb per chair. I walked by it a number of times, but I don't know about its legitimacy or if it even still exists. Anyone know what I a talking about?

Have you been able to go look at the scooter I suggested? It's a lot smaller than the modified Mio. Good luck!

we called into the shop yesterday to see it...is being sold as secondhand for 25k baht....have seen them online for 24500 baht...problem with it is its for an adult and the seat height and handlebars are to high so it would need serious modification...also being made in China its reliability and longevity are questionable

post-155264-0-40912200-1405166653.jpg

• Like 1