NCPO will 'help interim govt until its job is done'

Lite Beer

NCPO will 'help interim govt until its job is done'
The Nation

30237811-01_big.jpg

About 100 debtors who owe money to loan sharks greet Royal Thai Air Force chief ACM Prajin Juntong, centre, who is a deputy chief in charge of the economy for the National Council for Peace and Order. The debtors went to meet him yesterday

BANGKOK: -- Air Force chief ACM Prajin Juntong said yesterday that the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) would stay after the interim government is appointed to help with its work.

In principle, the National Legislative Assembly, National Reform Council, Cabinet - which will be set up in the second phase of the roadmap - and the NCPO would work together until their jobs have been completed, he said. The deputy NCPO leader added that a provisional charter, which has some 45 Articles, is being reviewed.

Meanwhile, NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha vowed last night to make state enterprises better at serving public interests instead of just focusing on profits and reaping benefits for their board members.

Speaking in his weekly TV show, Prayuth said he realised society was monitoring the numerous board changes at state enterprises that the NCPO had initiated. He admitted that the junta needed to appoint some figures who served previous governments because appointing inexperienced directors might damage state enterprises.

"What matters most is that we must be able to control [their operations] to be in line with rules so they do not seek interests that make themselves and their affiliates rich," he said.

On Thursday, the Thailand Development Research Institute proposed that PTT Plc, of which the Finance Ministry is a key shareholder, should lower its focus on profit so people can benefit from cheaper fuel prices.

Prayuth said the NCPO had set up a so-called "superboard" to oversee state enterprise boards to ensure transparency. He said the "superboard", which he also leads, would ensure state agencies work for public benefit.

"The superboard will improve the system to better divide the ratio of interests for the state, shareholders and the public," he said.

As for the rice scheme, Prayuth said the NCPO had set up some 100 teams of auditors to check stocks and had found that rice worth Bt60 million or Bt70 million was missing.

As for overpriced lottery tickets, he said the NCPO would try to get vendors to sell each ticket for no more than Bt90, while the body would also instruct stalls to sell tickets for Bt80 each.

He said the NCPO would try to stimulate growth to 2 per cent this year after the central bank projected growth of only 1.5 per cent.

The junta will have state-owned banks, such as the Government Savings Bank, the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and SMEs Bank, provide loans for low-income earners. It will hold a roadshow in which NCPO officials and private-sector representatives explain to the international community why the military had to seize power.

Prayuth also thanked Cambodian PM Hun Sen for releasing activist Veera Somkwamkid from a Cambodian prison last Tuesday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-will-help-interim-govt-until-its-job-is-done-30237811.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-05

• Like 1

"What matters most is that we must be able to control [their operations] to be in line with rules so they do not seek interests that make themselves and their affiliates rich," he said."

Amen to that.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 1

8TWv8X5.jpg

Meanwhile, Burma's top Junta master "lavishes praise" on Thailand's military for taking over.

"The Thai military did what needed to be done, , just like we did in 1988", is the quote I read.

Edited by tominbkk

So they're going to be around a long long time!

Not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not. The interim government will be around until election time which is scheduled by the general for Sept-Oct 2015/2558. No one can know more than that but I am sure some Red sympathisers will be offering bets that it may be longer. Personally I cannot see why anyone would doubt the general's intentions to keep that timeframe as he has been straight down the middle so far.

Well, I admire your optimism Deer hunter, but I am sure that they will remain the ultimate authority for the foreseeable future, no matter what form and result any election may take.

Get used to seeing big hugs with Burmese Generals, Thailand will resemble Burma with a tourist industry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

So they're going to be around a long long time!

Not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not. The interim government will be around until election time which is scheduled by the general for Sept-Oct 2015/2558. No one can know more than that but I am sure some Red sympathisers will be offering bets that it may be longer. Personally I cannot see why anyone would doubt the general's intentions to keep that timeframe as he has been straight down the middle so far.

No sarcasm here Deer Hunter until it's job is done and the job is huge and they have only just begun. The rapid and sweeping changes in Phuket alone, show how serious these guys are. Actions that no government could, wanted or even tried to accomplish. Get used to them being around a while.