New dive bans in Andaman sea?

Shurup

I'm planning another trip to Koh Lipe sometimes end of this month. My wife called to book a room and was told that diving around Koh Lipe isn't allowed as corals are dying because divers step on them and break them. Same ol' BS story but how true is this rumor?

I will try to contact one of the dive centers to confirm.

Yes, as far as I know a bullshit story.

However, the national park authority has, besides the these days standard closure of similans and surin national parks, also closed the national park in that area. So she could be referring to that.

Why BS story, I saw enough Dive boats put out the anchor in the middle of the corals. Diver who benefit from PADIs great education and Thailands Dive Centers shortening it even more who step on every second coral because they dive with way too much weight in an 45 degree angle.....

Also I recall from one DC in Koh Lipe that they were very careless, but I can't recall what they did. But it was the reason why I changed.

Beside in Koh Lipe is some commercial diving (with compressor and hose) from the locals to catch fishes in the reefs (and turtles of course). This is of course also diving and surely they won't care much about damage.

Called oceanprodivers was told there's no diving ban, some of the dive sites are closed due to weather and there are some bans of snorkeling trips to some locations for a variety of reasons, so yes the BS story...

Why BS story, I saw enough Dive boats put out the anchor in the middle of the corals. Diver who benefit from PADIs great education and Thailands Dive Centers shortening it even more who step on every second coral because they dive with way too much weight in an 45 degree angle.....

Also I recall from one DC in Koh Lipe that they were very careless, but I can't recall what they did. But it was the reason why I changed.

Beside in Koh Lipe is some commercial diving (with compressor and hose) from the locals to catch fishes in the reefs (and turtles of course). This is of course also diving and surely they won't care much about damage.

Not saying it's not happening, but corals can die for a variety of reasons and broken corals are a small part of them.

Fishing bots break a lot more corals than the dive boats + divers. Actually most of the dive boats I've been on are either: anchor to a buoy which is already attached to something on a seafloor (usually a large boulder), drop the anchor in the sandy area, or stay afloat after letting the divers out.

This rumor is a typical BS story trying to blame falangs for everything.

However, the national park authority has, besides the these days standard closure of similans and surin national parks, also closed the national park in that area. So she could be referring to that.

This is not normal. Have you ever head of them closing Mu Koh Lanta National Park before? When did they announce that? Are they going to let the dive centers that do trips there know this? Is there an online source for this?

This is not normal. Have you ever head of them closing Mu Koh Lanta National Park before? When did they announce that? Are they going to let the dive centers that do trips there know this? Is there an online source for this?

Same happened last year. Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa are off limits.

Not saying it's not happening, but corals can die for a variety of reasons and broken corals are a small part of them.

Fishing bots break a lot more corals than the dive boats + divers. Actually most of the dive boats I've been on are either: anchor to a buoy which is already attached to something on a seafloor (usually a large boulder), drop the anchor in the sandy area, or stay afloat after letting the divers out.

This rumor is a typical BS story trying to blame falangs for everything.

yes the broken coral is anyway a small damage. Not nice but the coral won't care much.

Bigger problems are

suncream if a lot diver on 1 spot every day.

toilets on the boat...they all put it direct in the water

Engine oil

this fishing with poison (not sure if it is done in Thailand)

dynamite fishing (rare in Thailand)

putting the sewer water and waste from the chemical industry direct into the sea (hello Thailand)

While most of the dive centers in Thailand aren't very environment friendly (they only speak about it), they are the smallest problem of all the problems

• Like 1

a week ago I was on Koh Lipe and yes some dive sites are closed.The dive sites between the islands may not be "especially snorkelling" and diving because the park is closed so the coral can recover a bit.This is not something new, but now there is control of the Thai army.The dive sites around the islands are open (and those are the most beautiful dive sites).

Dive centers on Koh lipe :

oeceanprodivers is open

castaway divers is open

Sabye divers is open

Adang sea divers is open

Satun Dive is open

Forra is open

B.K divers close

Koh lipe divers Close

• Like 1

a week ago I was on Koh Lipe and yes some dive sites are closed.The dive sites between the islands may not be "especially snorkelling" and diving because the park is closed so the coral can recover a bit.This is not something new, but now there is control of the Thai army.The dive sites around the islands are open (and those are the most beautiful dive sites).

Dive centers on Koh lipe :

oeceanprodivers is open

castaway divers is open

Sabye divers is open

Adang sea divers is open

Satun Dive is open

Forra is open

B.K divers close

Koh lipe divers Close

Is Koh Lipe and the islands around still a garbage can?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys! Just moved here in Bangkok. Like Shurup, I'm also looking for a dive club in the area, probably one that does night diving and has regular meetups because I'm alone all the time and I'm new here so I would love to be in a company of fun and adventurous people.

Hello guys! Just moved here in Bangkok. Like Shurup, I'm also looking for a dive club in the area, probably one that does night diving and has regular meetups because I'm alone all the time and I'm new here so I would love to be in a company of fun and adventurous people.

Welcome to BKK and to the forum!

To help you out, there's one BKK group that always organize some group trips around Thailand (mostly) and elsewhere in Asia sometimes. I've never attended their trips as I don't live in BKK and their trip dates never lined up with my schedule, but I did chat to the organizer on numerous occasions on this and many other sites.

Regarding night dives - any dive center could put up a night dive trip if they get enough customers.

If you have more questions, post on the forum or you can send me PM.

Welcome to BKK and to the forum!

To help you out, there's one BKK group that always organize some group trips around Thailand (mostly) and elsewhere in Asia sometimes. I've never attended their trips as I don't live in BKK and their trip dates never lined up with my schedule, but I did chat to the organizer on numerous occasions on this and many other sites.

Regarding night dives - any dive center could put up a night dive trip if they get enough customers.

If you have more questions, post on the forum or you can send me PM.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips, of course Shurup. I'm still getting the hang of Bangkok, knowing it more, from the city's shops, buildings, restaurants to its people...and I'm enjoying it :) I will definitely try out all of your recommendations and give you an update once I find a club to join and whenever I scheduled a night dive. Thanks again!