No Right

I parked my Toyota on the road outside a shop today. The elderly owner came out abusing me and said that i could not park there shouting "You have no right, to park in front of my shop" I told him that it is a public road and then pointed to the registration sticker on the windscreen, which means that i am entitled to drive the car on Thai roads, also to my Thai driving licence. Something that many driving Thais do not have. He shouted you have no right , you are falang visitor. I do live here. Anyhow just to shut him up i moved

No sure if it is a thai law or not but the Thais get quite serious about parking in front of people's business

It wasn't that moody thai man that sells his small bottles of gasoline by any chance in bohput

If it is any consolation he does it to everyone

Even me I just wanted to use the ATM machine for about 1 minute

I nearly bought a bottle of gas of him and threw it in his face

Fortunately the selfish man loses in the end as he is probably the last person along with a lot of other people that I would buy gas off in the island

Probably worried he is going to lose a million baht of gas in 2 minutes

Sad old man

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Some businesses need that space in front... not that it is a legal/moral right. Public access ways are frequently rented, illegally, by vendors and other business owners. Sometimes from the police or local thuggery unit.

For example, selling small quantities of bottled gas requires a space for customer service....continuously. Perhaps they cannot put up a sign preventing non-customer parking, but have somehow monopolized that. There are stores that will not care...and then the borderline merchandisers, that do.

If you did have a small outdoor cafe, that catered to short term customer service, you would not want me parking a ford ranger directly in front.

If I need to park, I acknowledge the shop owner (if he is present and looking hard) and try to infer that I need only a few minutes. They usually nod, but sometimes wave me off

Cannot apply what works back home here in Thailand

Edited by slipperylobster

Some businesses need that space in front... not that it is a legal/moral right. Public access ways are frequently rented, illegally, by vendors and other business owners. Sometimes from the police or local thuggery unit.

For example, selling small quantities of bottled gas requires a space for customer service....continuously. Perhaps they cannot put up a sign preventing non-customer parking, but have somehow monopolized that. There are stores that will not care...and then the borderline merchandisers, that do.

On touristic Samui the main reason is that the shop or restaurant can't be seen from the other side of the street, like on Chaweng. And, if you park at ~10:00, the space in front of the shop is for their motorbikes to rent.

Best way to handle that, just tell it's only for a few minutes or avoid these places at all and park in the back somewhere.

• Like 1

Just find a spot where the taxis park, apparently you can park there all day.

Chuckle - tried this on the road outside Tesco in Chaweng - was waved on by a taxi driver who told me - "Taxis only."

R

• Like 2

Please consider that it might be yet another straw on the camels back for the Thai shop owner... Samui used to be a nice peaceful place with lots of room to park... now at times it resembles a London suburb in terms of the challenges faced to park your car. For example... Long time Samui people who have land round airport or other popular place nowaday bark very very loudly at anyone parking on their gaff... including Thai's. Before no problem.

Don't take it so personal Falang

You should have offered (nicely) a parking fee... cos that is the direction we are heading. Sadly.

• Like 1

If you did have a small outdoor cafe, that catered to short term customer service, you would not want me parking a ford ranger directly in front.

If I need to park, I acknowledge the shop owner (if he is present and looking hard) and try to infer that I need only a few minutes. They usually nod, but sometimes wave me off

Cannot apply what works back home here in Thailand

But this business has a front big enough for about 6 cars plus the large gateway next door which rarely gets opened....All barred to falang who have no right . w00t.gif

• Like 1

Please consider that it might be yet another straw on the camels back for the Thai shop owner... Samui used to be a nice peaceful place with lots of room to park... now at times it resembles a London suburb in terms of the challenges faced to park your car. For example... Long time Samui people who have land round airport or other popular place nowaday bark very very loudly at anyone parking on their gaff... including Thai's. Before no problem.

You should have offered (nicely) a parking fee... cos that is the direction we are heading. Sadly.

Just did'nt fancy walking 100 mtrs in the pissing rain at 9 pm. and why should i.

I had the nail in the tyre thing on 2nd Road Pattaya. Cost me a new tyre.

Apparently, one Thai has the habit of working dogshit into your nearside door handles if you park outside his place. LOS indeed !

Never have a problem after I show them my crutch, the walking type. The amount of help I have been offered over the years is truly astounding.

I was asked told to move a few weeks ago when I parked outside a mickey mouse bar in Lamai just long enough for a Sunday lunch. I duly moved as I know how it works here. The place was as empty 90 mins later as it had been when I arrived. I note that nothing was said until I had parked and was 20M away from the car; suggesting a local would probably have been left alone.

(I too had a walking stick and a child with me, not that it made a blind bit of difference!)

Edited by evadgib

Just did'nt fancy walking 100 mtrs in the pissing rain at 9 pm. and why should i.

Cos this aint your manor?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe park in front again and deflate your own tyres so cannot move anyway lol

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Brilliant ! that will teach him a lesson. cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

well u can buy small machines that plug into your cigeratte lighter which inflate your battery. so when you come back just plug it in when tyre if full drive off. i wonder if one was to purchase a bottle of gas for 40 baht he would give you a few minutes.

If you really wanted to be nasty purchase the bottle. take it round the side of the car

empty most of the contence then fill the rest up with piss and give him his gas back for free. tell him he can keep the money. then the next poor person who buys the gas shall have a bad experience. hence putting the greedy git out of business

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not only forang i have seen Thais arguing with other thais over this.

I come from WORLD OF TRAFFIC wardens and yellow lines and wheel clamps, plus heavy fines.

So compared to that then samui is ok at the moment.

Just a hint for business owners if you are starting a new business. Make sure you have a car park or easy parking as if people cannot get to you they won't

I have spent more time in chaweng than ever in the last 10 years due to parking at central before i never went down there because of parking