Organiser of Veera event to be summoned: NCPO

webfact

SUMMONS
Organiser of Veera event to be summoned: NCPO

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Council for Peace and Order will summon the organiser of "Veera, A Free Spirit,'' for questioning on suspicion that the event was a political gathering, as these are banned at this time, NCPO spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said yesterday.

Winthai said the organiser of the event, held yesterday, had not asked the NCPO for permission and the person would be summoned to explain the nature of the function.

General Boonlert Kaewprasit, chaired the event yesterday at the Nang Lerng Horse Stable, to welcome home activist Veera Somkwamkid, who was released from a Cambodian prison after serving a three-and-a-half year term on a charge of espionage.

Boonlert, leader of the Pitak Siam (Protect Thailand) group, led a rally to oust the Yingluck government in 2012. The rally ended shortly after a violent crackdown by security officials.

Veera thanked NCPO chief Prayuth Chan-ocha for helping to free him, saying he would approach the Army chief to thank him in person.

Veera said he would reveal all that happened to him when the time was right. He had been asked not to make any political comment about his release at this stage for fear it might adversely affect bilateral relations and national reform and reconciliation moves initiated by the NCPO.

But he said he felt both the Abhisit and Yingluck governments were not sincere in helping to get him released.

He said he only got to meet a Cambodian official once - when Cambodian Information Minister Khieu Kanharith accompanied former Foreign Minister Kasit Piromya to visit him at Prey Sar prison on February 4, 2011. But Khieu didn't say anything and just listened to what Kasit said. "I would say I was not given much convenience while in prison,'' he said.

About 100 people joined the event to praise Veera's "heroic act" and boost his morale. Guests were entertained with a musical show and food. People who attended included General Preecha Iam-suwan, leader of the People's Army against the Thaksin Regime and, former appointed Senator Prasarn Marukpitak.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Organiser-of-Veera-event-to-be-summoned-NCPO-30237874.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-07

Just the fact that this guy has been released and the General personally stepped to secure this yellow shirt guy pretty much confirms what many of the opposition are thinking but are not allowed to speak out and say it.

• Like 2

Just the fact that this guy has been released and the General personally stepped to secure this yellow shirt guy pretty much confirms what many of the opposition are thinking but are not allowed to speak out and say it.

My goodness, this is certainly a great illustration of what censorship does.

Actually, Hun Sen stepped in to arrange the release of 20-some Cambodians held in Thai jails as illegal migrants. He stepped in because the opposition party in Cambodia is laying in to him over the whole issue and he is on his back foot. He saw a way to gain some points back from the opposition, and Veera was the cat's paw. The Cambodians are home from jail and Hun Sen and his party are claiming credit, and all they gave up was one Thai. The general, again, was outwitted, this time by a Cambodian politician.

Some Thai newspapers are printing this true story, but most are like the above - feebly and meekly taking dictation from the NCPO executives like the good stenographers most of them currently are.

Mandatory trivia: Since the Khmer Rouge victory in 1975, Cambodia has never had a military coup.

• Like 2

Just for those red spec supporters who think the martial law is only being imposed against the red shirts.

And how about the Royal Thai Turf Club. Will they be shut down for knowingly hosting the event , or is the summoning of the organisers, who will be told that they are "naughty boys and girls" just a "look we are neutral" propaganda exercise.

Thai hypocrisy. The world knows it.

Good job there are clairvoyants like you to tell us all what we should know.

Hun Set hypocrisy too.

Poor old Thaksin the honest, all this hypocrisy around him sad.png

Edited by Baerboxer

Just for those red spec supporters who think the martial law is only being imposed against the red shirts.

And how about the Royal Thai Turf Club. Will they be shut down for knowingly hosting the event , or is the summoning of the organisers, who will be told that they are "naughty boys and girls" just a "look we are neutral" propaganda exercise.

Has any other venue been closed down so far?

How times change. You suggest that Hun Sen didn't release him before as Thaksin didn't want him released. Maybe Hun Sen has decided Thaksin is past his sell by date.

• Like 1

Oh wanda.. are you still applying to become a red spin doctor. I am sure you will do a great job.

Unable to refute the facts, a personal attack is necessary. That's your thinking? Old habits die hard. Shows what a difficult, probably impossible job the General has.

For Thailand that 1 guy was worth far more then 20 illigal immigrants.

This is insightful analysis - query. Or just stating the obvious - query. "Faced with a deal he couldn't turn down, the General didn't turn it down." Well, yes. That's what I said, pretty much, although I assumed a certain amount of baseline comprehension ability by readers here and you didn't.

But since it matters so very, very much to you, what's your feeling on this: Why do you suppose the junta regime is not just silent about this obvious and known prisoner exchange, but actively denying it to the busybody snoops who think the Thai public have the right to know things that clearly would not bring them Happiness?

Oh trivia from me.. there was no military coup but there was a coup with many deaths. The military coups here in Thailand have no deaths.. I wonder what one I prefer.. Labels dont mean much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_clashes_in_Cambodia

*edit* you must not be a good chess player either thinking all pieces have the same value.

If you can refute any facts in this or any other post, please do so. I, too, would learn something. But your bullying won't work, this I can say truthfully. What I wrote was, and remains, factually correct.

If one absolutely must search for something nice to say about the junta regime, mine would be that the military have put paid to the mojo of the blustering, swaggering and attempted intimidation by the highly over-committed sycophants of various political factions — here on ThaiVisa for its bullyboy keyboard warriors, just as in real life in the public parks, on the streets and inside the system. Thank you, General, for that. Were I you, which of course I'm not, I'd try more of what the General says, and less of what you've got pent up from six months of delightful frolics on the Bangkok streets.

Listen guys, Veera might be a bit of an idiot but he does love Thailand. He has been well and truly punished for his stupid deeds. However his friends threw a wee party to welcome him home. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Lets hope him and his friends can now help Thailand to move forward. Thailand needs everyone shoulder to the wheel...

Listen guys, Veera might be a bit of an idiot but he does love Thailand. He has been well and truly punished for his stupid deeds. However his friends threw a wee party to welcome him home. Nothing wrong with that in my book. Lets hope him and his friends can now help Thailand to move forward. Thailand needs everyone shoulder to the wheel...

I think Veera is a zit but I still agree with all that you wrote. Thailand needs *all* kinds including the Veeras.

I disagree with your post's focus on this one man and therefore the exclusion of so many others. Not only Veera was "invited" for some "readjustment" but so was his host. And so were thousands of other people from different specific circumstances. So I hope by "everyone" you mean, literally "everyone". I hope that he and his friends and those who are not his friends are included.

And of course you put yourself in total disagreement with the General. Well, I'm with you on that part.

Actually, Hun Sen stepped in to arrange the release of 20-some Cambodians held in Thai jails as illegal migrants. He stepped in because the opposition party in Cambodia is laying in to him over the whole issue and he is on his back foot. He saw a way to gain some points back from the opposition, and Veera was the cat's paw. The Cambodians are home from jail and Hun Sen and his party are claiming credit, and all they gave up was one Thai. The general, again, was outwitted, this time by a Cambodian politician.

Some Thai newspapers are printing this true story, but most are like the above - feebly and meekly taking dictation from the NCPO executives like the good stenographers most of them currently are.

Mandatory trivia: Since the Khmer Rouge victory in 1975, Cambodia has never had a military coup.

More Wanda4 fantasy !

The General was not outwitted by anyone, he was probably glad to rid the country of 20 Cambodians.

If you want a good example of someone being outwitted, ask Thaksin how his amnesty farce is going, the one that was supposed to be put through in the middle of the night ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz clap2.gif

How was martial law imposed here?

From the OP it sounds like the martial law might have been broken, and that there's an inquiry into this matter

Doesn't say anything regarding consequences or enforcement.

Finding it hard to believe that no one in the General's council or staff had no idea about this, considering the venue

and some of the participants. Finding it even harder to believe those in attendance where so thick as to not see

this a a potential issue, after the coup announcement pertaining to Suthep's gatherings. By the way, other than a

the announcements were any steps actually taken against Suthep & Co. after their little party?

More Wanda4 fantasy !

The General was not outwitted by anyone, he was probably glad to rid the country of 20 Cambodians.

If you want a good example of someone being outwitted, ask Thaksin how his amnesty farce is going, the one that was supposed to be put through in the middle of the night ! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Are your posts incomplete without personal attacks? Good grief.

An attack on how this is "fantasy" - all you're doing is adopting the tactics of the Official Thai Visa Intimidators — ridicule and attacks and bluster without a single attempt to address the subject. If it's a "fantasy" then show where it is wrong.

Weirdly, though, you then accept what I wrote, by validating the exchange of 20 (actually 20-plus) Cambodians the General didn't want. So which is it? The brilliant General DID participate in this exchange? Or there was no exchange at all and the General had nothing to do with it?

Fantasy or fact? See, it's just that for your version to have legs, you must explain why the junta is denying that the General got rid of 20 Cambodians. I already explained that; you didn't. The junta says it didn't happen, that the General had nothing to do with it. Glad to see you reject their lies, but why are they doing that, claiming the General wasn't involved, if the General's plan was brilliant — as you claim?

I have no idea what this story has to do with Thaksin, but yes, Thaksin was outwitted and still is. And others as well. And the sell-price of gold fell 50 baht this afternoon. And?

To me, that just shows you are trying to change the subject of the post and OP in the shouting-down and hectoring style made famous by the OTVI, because they don't like the facts. Am I wrong about that? Where is the room for Thaksin's ridiculous amnesty push in this story? Why not just discuss the OP and the thread it has developed?

But back on subject, do you not think the growing list of people who have outwitted the General is interesting at all? The lottery tigers? The NBTC? Cambodia? Not at all interesting?

Edited by wandasloan

Seems like you are putting quite a spin on the story. The General Outwitted? Rather a silly comment given that the no-name Cambodians were exchanged for a rather prominent Thai.

The US, Israel and other countries often do a similar type of exchange. Yes, there is the usual opposition crying over spilt milk type of faux outrage, but it happens.

Correction to 'Mandatory Trivia':

Hun Sen used the military in 1997 to take power from Prince Ranarridh - a classic coup.

Hun Sen used the military in 1997 to take power from Prince Ranarridh - a classic coup.

Thank you for being the first to attack my post in a way that moves the discussion forward. I hope other posters will respond to that or to my original post. I'd like to see the backs of the Official Thai Visa Intimidators soonest. Obviously I don't agree with your post, but I already said why.

Concerning the above: What I said was that the Cambodian military had never staged a coup. I would add the (North) Vietnamese army and the (communist) Chinese army to that list, because they, too, could have seized power from horribly run and mismanaged and murderous governments 10,000 times worse than any government in Thai history - but they never did.

Hun Sen certainly used the army. So did Pol Pot. But no Cambodian army since 1975 has seized power from any government of any sort.

Seems like you are putting quite a spin on the story. The General Outwitted? Rather a silly comment given that the no-name Cambodians were exchanged for a rather prominent Thai.

The US, Israel and other countries often do a similar type of exchange. Yes, there is the usual opposition crying over spilt milk type of faux outrage, but it happens.

Veera, a prominent Thai? You got to be joking. Maybe to you. No one heard of Veera until he pop up at the border and got arrested for espionage. In his PAD active days, he was a small fry. Perhaps he wanted to gain quick notoriety by accompanying a much more prominent Dem MP Panich to the border. He is so prominent that only about 100 people turned out at his welcome gathering. Now he is infamous, certainly not prominent. He is just another ex-jail bird.

Thank you for being the first to attack my post in a way that moves the discussion forward. I hope other posters will respond to that or to my original post. I'd like to see the backs of the Official Thai Visa Intimidators soonest. Obviously I don't agree with your post, but I already said why.

Concerning the above: What I said was that the Cambodian military had never staged a coup. I would add the (North) Vietnamese army and the (communist) Chinese army to that list, because they, too, could have seized power from horribly run and mismanaged and murderous governments 10,000 times worse than any government in Thai history - but they never did.

Hun Sen certainly used the army. So did Pol Pot. But no Cambodian army since 1975 has seized power from any government of any sort.

Now you're shifting the goalposts. Here's your original comment:

Since the Khmer Rouge victory in 1975, Cambodia has never had a military coup.

Well it did - two actually. The one by Hun Sen & the military and the Vietnamese take over from Pol Pot's mob. OK the second one was more of an invasion, but it satisfies the 'military' and 'coup' definitions.

BTW the north Vietnamese army (Ho Chi Min's) did overturn a corrupt and murderous 'government' backed by the US - at great cost.

Veera, a prominent Thai? You got to be joking. Maybe to you. No one heard of Veera until he pop up at the border and got arrested for espionage. In his PAD active days, he was a small fry. Perhaps he wanted to gain quick notoriety by accompanying a much more prominent Dem MP Panich to the border. He is so prominent that only about 100 people turned out at his welcome gathering. Now he is infamous, certainly not prominent. He is just another ex-jail bird.

Yes Eric I know that your sympathies don't allow you to view what is plainly in the spotlight.

Veera may have been a virtual unknown before his arrest in Cambodia but ever since then he became a well-known pawn in Thai-Cambodian relations. Even Yingluck's mob tried to get him released.

He is now very well-known (i.e. prominent) and the number who turned out to welcome him is hardly surprising in the current clamp-down on political activities - affecting both sides which the Op reinforces.

Your post is just sour grapes.

Number of individuals summoned or arrested by affiliation = 511 summoned, 181 Arrested

Related to UDD / PTP = 373

Related to PDRC / Democrat Party = 48

Academics / Press / Activists = 158

http://ilaw.or.th/node/3146

Yes Eric I know that your sympathies don't allow you to view what is plainly in the spotlight.

Veera may have been a virtual unknown before his arrest in Cambodia but ever since then he became a well-known pawn in Thai-Cambodian relations. Even Yingluck's mob tried to get him released.

He is now very well-known (i.e. prominent) and the number who turned out to welcome him is hardly surprising in the current clamp-down on political activities - affecting both sides which the Op reinforces.

100 people wow. 5000 turned up apparently to welcome Suthep home, but this to was not an illegal gathering.....

It was not an illegal gathering because as we all know Suthep has them over the barrel with much evidence of collusion and no doubt many promises of cushy positions to boot.

Now you're shifting the goalposts. Here's your original comment:

Since the Khmer Rouge victory in 1975, Cambodia has never had a military coup.

Well it did - two actually. The one by Hun Sen & the military and the Vietnamese take over from Pol Pot's mob. OK the second one was more of an invasion, but it satisfies the 'military' and 'coup' definitions.

BTW the north Vietnamese army (Ho Chi Min's) did overturn a corrupt and murderous 'government' backed by the US - at great cost.

No I didn't change it and won't. A "military coup" is when the military takes over the country from a non-military (or stretch it - military from military; that has happened in Thailand). But a coup precisely means the military took over the country.

That has not happened in Cambodia, ever, since 1975. The military has killed lots of Cambodians, but has never staged a coup, which is a military takeover.

Similarly the (North) Vietnamese army never took over their government and thus has never staged a coup. There are lots of ways to phrase what they did, but they one thing they did NOT do is stage a military coup.

Oh, Veera was VERY well known for many political reasons long before his 2010 arrest. For one thing, that was his second border arrest. He was not a prominent figure on the Sondhi Lim stage, just a leader of an allied group, but he was extremely well known as a "border obsessive" - a bit of a loon in the eyes of many, but a very prime and important figure in the whole temple kerfuffle for many years.

"Boonlert, leader of the Pitak Siam (Protect Thailand) group, led a rally to oust the Yingluck government in 2012. "

I remember that debacle. Didn't he call it off after a couple of hours because of the rain or something. (His supporters got lost?)

I thought he quit after he became a laughing stock due to the sheer ineptitude of his leadership.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Boonlert, leader of the Pitak Siam (Protect Thailand) group, led a rally to oust the Yingluck government in 2012. "

I remember that debacle. Didn't he call it off after a couple of hours because of the rain or something. (His supporters got lost?)

I thought he quit after he became a laughing stock due to the sheer ineptitude of his leadership.

Roughly correct except it was when he burst into tears when a few of his more militant street soldiers got tear-gassed, and he ordered the whole protest shut down in horror at the violence. A total debacle. "Laughing stock" hardly captures the moment.