Documents required for Retirement Extension

Nice one Faz, way to go. Ta for post.

The difference between your experience and mine is probably down to many things; your attitude and the attitude/moood of the I O's you saw being high on the list.

If I don't concentrate on "being all nice and smiley" I can be guilty of adopting the incorrect facial expression for a second or two.

I worked in maths and physics back in the day, and grew to love immutable laws and repeatable events; a couple of things that can be in short supply in rural Thai Imm offices!

I visited the Korat imm office yesterday, and found it to be business as usual!

Person A, who I spoke to on the phone last week, had told me to get a 7 day extension.

On entering the office, I was spoken to by females B and C who were sat by a desk near the entrance door. One of them asked me what I wanted, I said enquiry about visa extension. She asked for my passport, and I told her about phone conversation with A and the 7 day thing. I was given a TM7, and the other new form about overstay/not working etc, and told to wait for my number to be called.

My number called, went to counter and passed forms etc and passport pages copy to female D. She took one look and said "no 7 day extension to visa for retirement". At that point I could feel confusion, disappointment, anger and a sense defeat building inside me, so waved my Thai girlfriend forward. Rapid conversation; I could hear "60 days" and "90 days" being said; much looking at my passport, visas, bank book and calender ensued.

I sat still and quiet, trying to find my happy place.

Female D then got up and entered a cubicle in the inner sanctum.

Three or four minutes later D exited cubicle, with female E. Females B,C and D all wore a sort of white shirt top with bits of badge and gold stuff on them; but E was in full uniform of a brown skirt and blouse.

D and E were now actually SMILING, which I'd not seen before. E was apparently the senior Imm Officer on duty that day.

D said to my bird that E had said that I would be granted a 365 temp extension of stay (retirement) on production of up to date stamped bank book and accompanying bank letter.

I asked, via my bird, about the 60-90 day thing; and the reply came back from E that she had decided to award me the extension:

AT HER DISCRETION !!

I nearly laughed out loud at that; lottery or Imm office ??

No mention or acknowledgement of the law, just E doing her thing !!

I made sure my bird got the names of D and E, who were still smiling when we left. Made me feel slightly uneasy.

After all, they had managed to get rid of me; and actually done nothing.

Today we went to my bank to get the letter etc, only to be told the manager was the only employee able (??) to sign said letter for Immigration; and he was out all day. We try the bank again tomorrow morning, and if we get said letter will then go directly to Imm Korat again and try to get the job done this week; you know, before too many things change or short term memories expire.

God only knows what A,B,C,D and/or E will come up with the next time I/we see them; only one way to find out.

My current 90 days expires 28th this month, so still got some wriggle room.

Congrats again Faz, 12 months of easy now; enjoy.

I'll post again soon on my outcome.

• Like 1

bentarm44, on 17 Jul 2014 - 15:28, said:

Nice one Faz, way to go. Ta for post.

The difference between your experience and mine is probably down to many things; your attitude and the attitude/moood of the I O's you saw being high on the list.

If I don't concentrate on "being all nice and smiley" I can be guilty of adopting the incorrect facial expression for a second or two.

I worked in maths and physics back in the day, and grew to love immutable laws and repeatable events; a couple of things that can be in short supply in rural Thai Imm offices!

I visited the Korat imm office yesterday, and found it to be business as usual!

Person A, who I spoke to on the phone last week, had told me to get a 7 day extension.

On entering the office, I was spoken to by females B and C who were sat by a desk near the entrance door. One of them asked me what I wanted, I said enquiry about visa extension. She asked for my passport, and I told her about phone conversation with A and the 7 day thing. I was given a TM7, and the other new form about overstay/not working etc, and told to wait for my number to be called.

My number called, went to counter and passed forms etc and passport pages copy to female D. She took one look and said "no 7 day extension to visa for retirement". At that point I could feel confusion, disappointment, anger and a sense defeat building inside me, so waved my Thai girlfriend forward. Rapid conversation; I could hear "60 days" and "90 days" being said; much looking at my passport, visas, bank book and calender ensued.

I sat still and quiet, trying to find my happy place.

Female D then got up and entered a cubicle in the inner sanctum.

Three or four minutes later D exited cubicle, with female E. Females B,C and D all wore a sort of white shirt top with bits of badge and gold stuff on them; but E was in full uniform of a brown skirt and blouse.

D and E were now actually SMILING, which I'd not seen before. E was apparently the senior Imm Officer on duty that day.

D said to my bird that E had said that I would be granted a 365 temp extension of stay (retirement) on production of up to date stamped bank book and accompanying bank letter.

I asked, via my bird, about the 60-90 day thing; and the reply came back from E that she had decided to award me the extension:

AT HER DISCRETION !!

I nearly laughed out loud at that; lottery or Imm office ??

No mention or acknowledgement of the law, just E doing her thing !!

I made sure my bird got the names of D and E, who were still smiling when we left. Made me feel slightly uneasy.

After all, they had managed to get rid of me; and actually done nothing.

Today we went to my bank to get the letter etc, only to be told the manager was the only employee able (??) to sign said letter for Immigration; and he was out all day. We try the bank again tomorrow morning, and if we get said letter will then go directly to Imm Korat again and try to get the job done this week; you know, before too many things change or short term memories expire.

God only knows what A,B,C,D and/or E will come up with the next time I/we see them; only one way to find out.

My current 90 days expires 28th this month, so still got some wriggle room.

Congrats again Faz, 12 months of easy now; enjoy.

I'll post again soon on my outcome.

Ha,ha. Good news bentarm44.

Whatever the conversation between your g/f, A,B,C,D & E, it's obvious they realised you were correct, but by way of saying she decided to grant your extension of stay, saves any apology and face on their part.

My Visa expired the same as yours, maybe we shared the same flight into Thailand? Small world.

Get the letter from your Bank and update your Passbook so the amounts tally. Amnat accept letters and Passbook dated from the previous day, some Imm Offices insist on the same date of application. If possible get them done first thing in the morning then visit Korat to be sure.

All said and done, even with the correct documentation an IO can use his power of discretion to refuse, based on your attitude.

Just as any business can refuse to sell you goods if you have a bad attitude.

Plan ahead and don't leave everything until the last minute. Leave time to correct your own errors or mistakes. We're all human.

Let me know the outcome.

GeorgeKi, on 17 Jul 2014 - 06:19, said:

A couple of questions related to documentation for my first Extension of Stay for retirement. (I will be applying in Bangkok BTW)

i. I currently have a non-immigrant 'B' multi-entry, can I use this non-immigrant 'B' visa or do I somehow have to change it to a non-immigrant 'O' ?

ii. It is my first application am I correct in thinking my B800k needs to have been in the bank for 60 days rather than 90 days.

iii. Once I get my next 90 day entry stamp when is the earliest I can apply for the Extension - after 45 days or 60 days? (I ask as I have a v ill relative outside Thailand & timing is important to me)

Thanks.

1. I'll stand to be corrected but I'm sure you can change your non imm B Visa into an extension of stay based on retirement.

As far as I'm aware it is only a Tourist Visa that must be converted to a non imm o first in order to get an extension of stay.

2. 60 days for the first extension, but if you've read the other posts here about the problems at Immigration, why not get your 800K in the bank asap.

No discrepancies then, your funds will have been in for 90 days at the end of your next 90 day entry stamp.

3. Once your funds have been seasoned in your bank for 60 days minimum. (90 days for subsequent extensions of stay)

• Like 1

GeorgeKi, on 17 Jul 2014 - 06:19, said:

A couple of questions related to documentation for my first Extension of Stay for retirement. (I will be applying in Bangkok BTW)

i. I currently have a non-immigrant 'B' multi-entry, can I use this non-immigrant 'B' visa or do I somehow have to change it to a non-immigrant 'O' ?

ii. It is my first application am I correct in thinking my B800k needs to have been in the bank for 60 days rather than 90 days.

iii. Once I get my next 90 day entry stamp when is the earliest I can apply for the Extension - after 45 days or 60 days? (I ask as I have a v ill relative outside Thailand & timing is important to me)

Thanks.

1. I'll stand to be corrected but I'm sure you can change your non imm B Visa into an extension of stay based on retirement.

As far as I'm aware it is only a Tourist Visa that must be converted to a non imm o first in order to get an extension of stay.

2. 60 days for the first extension, but if you've read the other posts here about the problems at Immigration, why not get your 800K in the bank asap.

No discrepancies then, your funds will have been in for 90 days at the end of your next 90 day entry stamp.

3. Once your funds have been seasoned in your bank for 60 days minimum. (90 days for subsequent extensions of stay)

Many thanks for your reply. Regarding my third point - my concern was whether Immigration required you to apply for the Extension towards the end of my 90 day stamp i.e after say 45 days or 60 days when only 30 days was still left?

ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:54, said:ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:54, said:
Faz, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:34, said:Faz, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:34, said:
ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:

You don't need a your own tambien ban. You will need a rental agreement with a signed copy of the owners tambien ban and ID card attached.

You will not need a medical certificate unless that is a Amnat requirement.

If using the 800k baht in the bank option you will just need the letter from bank copies of bank book to prove the money has been in the bank for 60 days.

You will need a income letter from your embassy proving 65k income baht if using that option.

You will not need both unless using the combination of money in the bank and income option.

The remainder of your list looks to be correct.

You should only need one completed TM7 form with one set of documents attached.

@ubonjoe,

I'm using the 800K in the Bank method, so just a letter from the Bank and my Bank Book which I'll get the day before.

It's seasoned for the required 60 days now for my first application.

I have my Rental Agreement and copies of the owners Tabian Ban and her ID card.

Amnat need 2 copies of everything because they are a sub branch of Korat. They keep a copy and send one to Korat.

They do extensions based on Retirement on the spot, but extensions based on Marriage have to be first sent to Korat for approval, then collected 10 days later from Amnat.

That's a pain in the butt!

For the record I'm single, but the fly's are hovering. New kid on the block and news travels fast.

Now I know how a goldfish feels.

Since you are not applying based upon marriage you will only need one set of copies and TM7.

For marriage they keep one set and send the other to immigration region 4 headquarters in Korat for approval.

You were correct Joe, they only required one set of copies.

Surprisingly they weren't interested in my rental agreement and returned the copy, but the Medical certificate was a must at Amnat.

Edited by Faz

JamesHawkins, on 07 Jul 2014 - 22:01, said:

I did my initial extension last year in Amnat and a medical certificate was required. Also needed to pay tax and affix tax stamps to rental agreement. Can be done in another part of the Provincial Bldg... Something like 40 baht on 3500 baht rental. Make sure you have property owners sign copies of their ID cards an tabien Book.

Never needed to pay any tax or get stamps. In fact they didn't want to see the Rental Agreement and returned the copy. Copies of the owners signed Tabian Ban and ID card seemed to be sufficient, but they did want her contact number which they added to the bottom of the ID copy.

Hi Faz, I did the bank stuff today; got it right there eventually.

Imm korat again tomorrow, fingers crossed.

There is one other thing though...............

You mentioned that;

My Visa expired the same as yours, maybe we shared the same flight into Thailand?

In your post #11, you said you arrived Thailand 27 April.

I arrived 1 May, and got admitted for 90 days; until 29 July.

Am I missing something here?

I hope for a "happy ending" post tomorrow.

Returned to imm korat on wedneday, with g/f. Whilst re-doing one old form, we were approached by E from last time.

She personally checked my docs and whisked them away.

I didn't even get a chance to take a number!

Pass port returned after about 30 mins with 1 year extension freshly stamped in.

Which was nice.

My first 90 day report day is on a sunday, think I'd better go on the preceding friday then.

• Like 1

bentarm44, on 25 Jul 2014 - 20:29, said:

Returned to imm korat on wedneday, with g/f. Whilst re-doing one old form, we were approached by E from last time.

She personally checked my docs and whisked them away.

I didn't even get a chance to take a number!

Pass port returned after about 30 mins with 1 year extension freshly stamped in.

Which was nice.

My first 90 day report day is on a sunday, think I'd better go on the preceding friday then.

Happy Days!

Apologises. I arrived 27th April.

Lite Beer, on 25 Jul 2014 - 20:31, said:

You can go up to 15 days before and 7 days after.

Thanks for the reminder LB.

If one goes to Immigration earlier than the 90 day report is due, do you lose days?

i.e. My next report is due on 13th Oct. If I went a week earlier (say 7th) would my next report be due 90 days from the date of my visit, or from 13th Oct.

Just a couple of notes concerning my first Non-O (obtained at Nonthaburi Immigration).

I updated the bank book on the same day, but had forgotten to make a transaction on that day before I updated the book. (I had to run to the bank again.)

The bank letter was eight days old. They said it was only good for seven. (But they let it slide.)

Seasoning of the 800K for the first application was not required.

They forgot to ask me for the residency papers from my landlord, so they called me on my mobile later in the day. They said to bring them in when I applied for my extension. I hear that at Chaeng Wattana, they don't ask for this.

Anyway, I got it. It was actually a pleasant day and the area around there is pretty (rice fields).

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

This is a long thread, so I am checking on what is currently correct-

I will need

1. Passport (1 signed copy or 2?)

2. Do I need to copy the Non-Immigrant Visa in my passport?

3. Departure Card TM.6

4. Letter from my Thai Bank stating my 800 K has been with them for at least (2) or (2) months for the first time?

5. Bank book-

Will I need a copy of the page showing 800K, or just the bank book?

6. I live in a house that I rent.

I need a copy of my rental agreement.

7. What do I need to show, in regard to my landlord?

8. (3) 4×5 cm photos, with full face taken.

9. A TM 7 document- I get this at Imm. the day I apply?

Ok? Incomplete? Too much?

TIA!!

Hi all,

This is a long thread, so I am checking on what is currently correct-

I will need

1. Passport (1 signed copy or 2?)

2. Do I need to copy the Non-Immigrant Visa in my passport?

3. Departure Card TM.6

4. Letter from my Thai Bank stating my 800 K has been with them for at least (2) or (2) months for the first time?

5. Bank book-

Will I need a copy of the page showing 800K, or just the bank book?

6. I live in a house that I rent.

I need a copy of my rental agreement.

7. What do I need to show, in regard to my landlord?

8. (3) 4×5 cm photos, with full face taken.

9. A TM 7 document- I get this at Imm. the day I apply?

Ok? Incomplete? Too much?

TIA!!

1/2 One signed copy of passport photo page, visa used for entry, and entry/permit to stay stamp. Some offices may want a copy of any page that has visa for here or an entry.

3. Yes

4/5 Letter from bank confirming balance of at least 800k baht. signed copies of updated bank book showing that funds have been in the bank for at least 60 days (first extension) on the date you apply.

6/7. Rental agreement with singed copies of the owners house book and ID card attached.

8. One 4 cm X 6 cm photo attached to the TM7 form.

9. Download and print TM7 form and print 2 sided. PDF http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf or MS word doc http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

You can fill out and print the document one but some programs will not accept the format or at least mess it up.

All copies must be signed.