Documents required for Retirement Extension

I'm currently on a 90 Day single Non-Imm O Visa.

Next week I'll be applying for my first 12 month extension based on Retirement.

I've read previous topics on this subject but a lot seem outdated with what documents Immigration are now requesting.

I current reside in Roi-Et and have to visit the Immigration Office in Amnat Charoen. A 2 hour drive.

The list on the Immigration site is very scant and not detailed.

I live in a rented apartment so I don't have my own Tabian Ban.

I'll be taking the original documents + 2 copies.

From information received from local expats here I'm taking the following documents and copies;

1. Passport Home Page

2. Visa Pages

3. Apartment owners Tabian Ban

4. Apartment owners ID card.

5. Rental Agreement

6. Medical Certificate.

7. Proof of Income/Savings (Bank book)

8. Letter from Bank

9. Passport photos

10. TM6

11. Street Plan

Completed TM7 (2 of) and Fee.

Do I need to submit the Kitchen sink as well, or is my list comprehensive.

• Like 1

You don't need a your own tambien ban. You will need a rental agreement with a signed copy of the owners tambien ban and ID card attached.

You will not need a medical certificate unless that is a Amnat requirement.

If using the 800k baht in the bank option you will just need the letter from bank copies of bank book to prove the money has been in the bank for 60 days.

You will need a income letter from your embassy proving 65k income baht if using that option.

You will not need both unless using the combination of money in the bank and income option.

The remainder of your list looks to be correct.

You should only need one completed TM7 form with one set of documents attached.

wayned, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:14, said:

You will NOT need a medical certificate unless that is a Amnat requirement. OOPS!

Apparently a Medical Certificate is a requirement at Amnat depending on who deals with you. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cost of Medical Certificate is 50 baht. Cost of fuel is 800 baht.

ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:

You don't need a your own tambien ban. You will need a rental agreement with a signed copy of the owners tambien ban and ID card attached.

If using the 800k baht in the bank option you will just need the letter from bank copies of bank book to prove the money has been in the bank for 60 days.

You will need a income letter from your embassy proving 65k income baht if using that option.

You will not need both unless using the combination of money in the bank and income option.

@ubonjoe,

I'm using the 800K in the Bank method, so just a letter from the Bank and my Bank Book which I'll get the day before.

It's seasoned for the required 60 days now for my first application.

I have my Rental Agreement and copies of the owners Tabian Ban and her ID card.

Amnat need 2 copies of everything because they are a sub branch of Korat. They keep a copy and send one to Korat.

They do extensions based on Retirement on the spot, but extensions based on Marriage have to be first sent to Korat for approval, then collected 10 days later from Amnat.

That's a pain in the butt!

For the record I'm single, but the fly's are hovering. New kid on the block and news travels fast.

Now I know how a goldfish feels.

phuketrichard, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:17, said:

Phuket;

never been asked for these things

3. Apartment owners Tabian Ban

4. Apartment owners ID card.

5. Rental Agreement

6. Medical Certificate.

11. Street Plan

From what I've previously read on TV different Immigration offices set their own requirements of what documents you need.

I thought everyone had to show proof of address. i.e. A Tabian ban if a houseowner or married to a Thai houseowner. I rent so can only show the owners Tabian Ban, her ID card and my Rental Agreement.

A Medical Certificate and a street plan are fairly new requirements for Amnat. I believe a few Immigration offices now request a street plan.

I printed of a Google map with a pin to denote my location, then put my address in both English and Thai at the bottom.

ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:

@ubonjoe,

I'm using the 800K in the Bank method, so just a letter from the Bank and my Bank Book which I'll get the day before.

Amnat need 2 copies of everything because they are a sub branch of Korat. They keep a copy and send one to Korat.

They do extensions based on Retirement on the spot, but extensions based on Marriage have to be first sent to Korat for approval, then collected 10 days later from Amnat.

For the record I'm single, but the fly's are hovering. New kid on the block and news travels fast.

Since you are not applying based upon marriage you will only need one set of copies and TM7.

For marriage they keep one set and send the other to immigration region 4 headquarters in Korat for approval.

rak sa_ngop, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:43, said:

In Chaeng Wattana you need your bank passbook updated for the day you apply and a photocopy.

Also you cannot apply more than 45 days before your entry stamp expires (not 45 days before the visa expires).

I learnt this the hard way.

I'll be getting a letter from the bank and updating my bank Passbook the day before I apply.

Because Amnat is a fair distance away they accept these details from the previous day of application.

I know many offices insist on a bank letter and updated passbook dated the same day as the application.

I'm on a 90 day Non-Imm O Visa, so it would be impossible for me to apply more than 45 days before my entry stamp expires, because I have to season my money in the bank for 60 days, which only leaves 30 days on my Visa.

My Visa was issued on 8/4/2014 and I entered Thailand on 27/4/2014. I'm going to Immigration on 15/7/2014.

Useful information though. Thanks.

ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:54, said:
Faz, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:34, said:
ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:ubonjoe, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:11, said:

@ubonjoe,

Since you are not applying based upon marriage you will only need one set of copies and TM7.

For marriage they keep one set and send the other to immigration region 4 headquarters in Korat for approval.

Are you sure? Saves a lot of printing if that's true.

I'm basing my facts on a friend who renewed his retirement extension 6 weeks ago at Amnat. He took one copy of everything but was asked for two as the staff member said they now have to keep one copy and send one to Korat. He had to draw a street plan as well, another new requirement there.

My friend said all the staff are new at Amnat, the experienced hands have been moved on. Maybe their getting confused with Retirement and Marriage extensions.

I've already made 2 copies, but I'll advise you on return if only one copy was required.

You cannot apply for the extension MORE than 45 days before your entry stamp expires.

I wanted to apply early because I was leaving Thailand and would have returned after my non-O expired. However it was more than 45 days before my entry stamp date

Solution was to get a rentry visa and apply for the extension on my return after my non-O visa expired but before the (re) entry stamp expired.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You cannot apply for the extension MORE than 45 days before your entry stamp expires.

I wanted to apply early because I was leaving Thailand and would have returned after my non-O expired. However it was more than 45 days before my entry stamp date

Solution was to get a rentry visa and apply for the extension on my return after my non-O visa expired but before the (re) entry stamp expired.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Something is wrong with your post. A re-entry permit (not visa) gives you no additional time beyond the permit to stay date it is based upon.

Immigration would not issue a re-entry permit with no valid permit to stay.to base it upon.

I did my initial extension last year in Amnat and a medical certificate was required. Also needed to pay tax and affix tax stamps to rental agreement. Can be done in another part of the Provincial Bldg... Something like 40 baht on 3500 baht rental. Make sure you have property owners sign copies of their ID cards an tabien Book.

In Chaeng Wattana you need your bank passbook updated for the day you apply and a photocopy.

Also you cannot apply more than 45 days before your entry stamp expires (not 45 days before the visa expires).

Do CW need a Cert. of Residence or would a 5 year driving Licence (address on back) be good enough?

I have a 90 day report about 1 month before my annual extension and would like to do both in one visit

Edited by Bpuumike

JamesHawkins, on 07 Jul 2014 - 22:01, said:

I did my initial extension last year in Amnat and a medical certificate was required. Also needed to pay tax and affix tax stamps to rental agreement. Can be done in another part of the Provincial Bldg... Something like 40 baht on 3500 baht rental. Make sure you have property owners sign copies of their ID cards an tabien Book.

"Also needed to pay tax and affix tax stamps to rental agreement"

Interesting! Never heard of that before even from local expats who also rent here.

JamesHawkins, on 07 Jul 2014 - 22:01, said:

"Also needed to pay tax and affix tax stamps to rental agreement"

Interesting! Never heard of that before even from local expats who also rent here.

It is truly not a tax it is a registration fee at the Amphoe. They put postage type stamps on the rental agreement.

My wife had to make quick trip to satisfy the inspector when she was reviewing all our documents last year at immigration here. She paid 30 baht for those.

Are you sure? Saves a lot of printing if that's true.

I'm basing my facts on a friend who renewed his retirement extension 6 weeks ago at Amnat. He took one copy of everything but was asked for two as the staff member said they now have to keep one copy and send one to Korat. He had to draw a street plan as well, another new requirement there.

My friend said all the staff are new at Amnat, the experienced hands have been moved on. Maybe their getting confused with Retirement and Marriage extensions.

I've already made 2 copies, but I'll advise you on return if only one copy was required.

At Amnat you are required to supply two copies of everything for a marriage extension as it is considered at Korat. One set of copies for each office.

A retirement extension is approved at Amnat, therefore only one set of copies is required but it's always better to take two 'just in case'.

I have always been required to supply a map for both marriage and retirement extensions and a medical for a retirement extension at Amnat. A few weeks ago the staff there changed so the requirements may slightly differ now at Amnat.

The bottom line is that you are at the discretion of the immigration officer you are dealing with and it's better to go prepared than on hearsay that something is not required. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

rak sa_ngop, on 07 Jul 2014 - 12:43, said:

I'll be getting a letter from the bank and updating my bank Passbook the day before I apply.

Because Amnat is a fair distance away they accept these details from the previous day of application.

I know many offices insist on a bank letter and updated passbook dated the same day as the application.

I'm on a 90 day Non-Imm O Visa, so it would be impossible for me to apply more than 45 days before my entry stamp expires, because I have to season my money in the bank for 60 days, which only leaves 30 days on my Visa.

My Visa was issued on 8/4/2014 and I entered Thailand on 27/4/2014. I'm going to Immigration on 15/7/2014.

Useful information though. Thanks.

I've been round this block with imm korat a couple of times, and today called them again to discover the current view on 60 verses 90 days.

I was told, once again, that they don't recognise 60 days as being acceptable; EVEN FOR A "FIRST" APPLICATION OF EXTENSION OF TEMPORARY STAY. I arrived in Thailand with a single entry NON O Visa (like the OP) on 1st May, and topped my Kas account up to more than 800,000TB the next day; meaning the possibility to extend that visa is now nil. The imm officer told me to attend the office before my current visa expires (29th July, 2 days short of the over 90 days bank balance requirement), and I could apply for a 7 day extension of the existing single entry NON O Visa. This would then give me the extra few days for bank balance to be over 90 days; and then a few more days in which to apply for extension. I was told to bring a Thai national with me to vouch for where I was staying; I didn't ask and was not told about what the cost of the 7 day thing was.

I am forced to use Chok Chai as I live in Korat; I'm not sure if you/your application is going there, or not.

Mabe your face will fit where my doesn't, wouldn't be the first time!

I'm going to go soon to try for the 7 day extension thing; I'd love to know how you get on on the 15th.

@bentarm44

Sorry to hear about your problem. I'm going to Amnat Charoen.

I've heard of a couple of other expats who have had the same problem. I think this is down to the poor, or lack of training with some officers about the Police Regulations.

i.e. Order of the Royal Thai Police Bureau No.777/2551 Clause 2.22

Just Google it.

2.22 In the case of retirement: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) Must be 50 years of age or over. (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria: (a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000. If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

I'll be taking a copy with me, in case I have the same problem. They hate to loose face, so I'll be tactical.

I'm getting the Medical Certificate this evening and I'll get the Letter from the bank post-dated to 15th. I'll update my passbook on the morning I go.

I'll let you know how I went on.

Edited by Faz

I read some link here from Thaivisa and what is needed and there is mention of:

2. Required Documents

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

Is this not required anymore?

I read some link here from Thaivisa and what is needed and there is mention of:

2. Required Documents

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

Is this not required anymore?

That is only required if you are applying for a OA visa for retirement at an embassy or consulate in your home country.

@bentarm44

I've heard of a couple of other expats who have had the same problem. I think this is down to the poor, or lack of training with some officers about the Police Regulations.

Just Google it.

2.22 In the case of retirement: Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

The alien: (1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). (2) Must be 50 years of age or over. (3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or (4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date; or (5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria: (a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000. If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

I'll be taking a copy with me, in case I have the same problem. They hate to loose face, so I'll be tactical.

I'm getting the Medical Certificate this evening and I'll get the Letter from the bank post-dated to 15th. I'll update my passbook on the morning I go.

You so right about the face thing Faz.

The first time I got turned down for the 60 day thing (about 4 years ago), I pointed out (as tactfully as I could, under the circumstances!) the laws of Thailand; and was met with aggression from the immigration officer (mid aged Thai female). She informed me that all matters relating to visas were:

AT THE DISCRETION OF THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER. ................. which is true. Handy that, eh?

She told me she was an imm officer, and I wasn't; to go away and return at a later date (90 days etc) decided by her.

As usual, authority here does not imply knowledge, ability or desire to apply the law; mainly ego, vanity and an opportunity for "perks".

I'm going to Chok Chai next week to suss out this 7 day thing, and mabe ask about the 60 day thing again, sigh.

I think I'll wait and see what happens to you first.

Good luck on tuesday, prob going to be busy in the office then 'cas it will have been shut for 4 days.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

bentarm44, on 11 Jul 2014 - 15:13, said:bentarm44, on 11 Jul 2014 - 15:13, said:
Faz, on 09 Jul 2014 - 18:39, said:Faz, on 09 Jul 2014 - 18:39, said:

@bentarm44

Just Google it.

You so right about the face thing Faz.

The first time I got turned down for the 60 day thing (about 4 years ago), I pointed out (as tactfully as I could, under the circumstances!) the laws of Thailand; and was met with aggression from the immigration officer (mid aged Thai female). She informed me that all matters relating to visas were:

AT THE DISCRETION OF THE IMMIGRATION OFFICER. ................. which is true. Handy that, eh?

She told me she was an imm officer, and I wasn't; to go away and return at a later date (90 days etc) decided by her.

As usual, authority here does not imply knowledge, ability or desire to apply the law; mainly ego, vanity and an opportunity for "perks".

I'm going to Chok Chai next week to suss out this 7 day thing, and mabe ask about the 60 day thing again, sigh.

I think I'll wait and see what happens to you first.

Good luck on tuesday, prob going to be busy in the office then 'cas it will have been shut for 4 days.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Apologises for the late reply bentarm44. A problem delayed my visit to Immigration by a day, but I went to Amnat Charoen today 16/7/2014.

This being my first visit to any Immigration Office, I'll detail my experience.

I presented my completed TM7 Form along with my original documents and one copy of each.

The officer went through my documents and returned my Rental agreement + copy and my Residents Permit + copy, which I had previously obtained from Roi Et Police Station. He said he didn't need these, otherwise everything appeared OK.

After a few minutes I was asked to enter a small office where I was seated. Another officer had the copies of my Landlords ID and Tabian Ban. He asked me to sign both copies and asked if I had her telephone number. I obliged and he noted her number on the copies. The paperwork was handed to a girl who quickly produced a 'Receipt of Notification' which was handed to me. They told me if I had any dealings with any Government office I should produce this notice. It was signed by an Immigration Officer. (It appears to be merely a confirmation of my address in Thailand).

Back to the first desk and IO.................now a small problem. As with your experience the IO counted the number of days in my Bank Passbook and asked if I had any previous Visas prior to my 90 Day Non Imm O. It's a new passport and only had one previous Visa exempt stamp from last October.

'Your funds haven't been in the account for the required 90 days' he said.

Now I can only explain how I handled this situation.

I pointed out that the IO was quite correct with his statement, except for the first application only, which only required my money to be in an account for 60 days.

I explained with the aid of my 90 day Non Imm O Visa and the dates, that it was impossible to enter Thailand on that Visa, open a Bank account, transfer funds and even if I applied on the last day of that Visa my funds would have been in an account for 88 days max .............that's why their was a concession of 60 days for a first application of an extension of stay. I asked the IO to check this with his Superior.

I had a friend accompany me who at this point said 'It's your Order 777/2551 Section 2.22'

The IO spoke to his Superior for 30 seconds, returned, then continued with the process.

I now have a 12 month extension based on Retirement. The process took about 50 minutes to complete.

The point is, as you reported bentarm44, many IO's are not aware of the '60 day' rule for first applications. Or they're trying it on!

It's an awkward situation, you know your right, their wrong. If you upset them by calling them stupid or incompetent, that isn't going to get you anywhere.

My philosophy was to query it in a nice manner, ask them to check and let them feel they've solved the problem.

I suggest on your next visit go armed with a copy of Police Order 777/2551.

If you have the same response, appear puzzled but calm and ask them to explain Section 2.22 of the Order. Let them think they're the one responsible for uncovering the fact and they did you the favour.

In English and Thai.

Police order 777-2551 extension of stay rules EN - T&G.pdf

Police order 777-2551 extension of stay rules TH.pdf

Edited by Faz
  • Like 2

A couple of questions related to documentation for my first Extension of Stay for retirement. (I will be applying in Bangkok BTW)

i. I currently have a non-immigrant 'B' multi-entry, can I use this non-immigrant 'B' visa or do I somehow have to change it to a non-immigrant 'O' ?

ii. It is my first application am I correct in thinking my B800k needs to have been in the bank for 60 days rather than 90 days.

iii. Once I get my next 90 day entry stamp when is the earliest I can apply for the Extension - after 45 days or 60 days? (I ask as I have a v ill relative outside Thailand & timing is important to me)

Thanks.