Thai Immigration Bureau to blacklist all overstayers of more than 90 days

I can't believe there are so many posters on this thread crying about how it's not fair that they won't be able to break the law so easily any longer.

There are rules and regulations for anyone who wants to live in a foreign country. If you currently can't meet the requirements, go home and come back when you can.

Hahaha.... Yes, and there was a loophole that people took advantage of and stayed here and started a life. Same as in buying a house using a business, loophole. Should they close that one too and take all those homes from people who are going against the spirt of the law. Advise them that they need to sell by August 12th or loose it to the bank...You think the people who are loosing this current loophole would be judging you same ??? Be careful what you say ....there are few farang who live a 100% legal life.

• Like 1

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gotta love the posts applauding these new rules.

I wonder if the same people will cheer as well when Immigration imposes further restrictions on marriage/retirement visas.

No problems..........according to most of the applauders they usually have a "an packed suitcase under the bed and thus can leave within the hour should further restrictions appear in the future" thumbsup.gif .

Pretty lenient I think.

If you overstay in the EU/US then chances are you aren't ever going to be allowed back in.

I am so, sick and tired, of hearing this false statement repeated, over and over here about the EU. It is simply not true. Yes, technically you're not supposed to, but in Europe, they REALLY DON'T CARE, even for very long periods of time, and there is no fine. I lived in Berlin for a year and wasn't supposed to. I lived in Paris for 2 years, and wasn't supposed to. And I could name more and more over decades, and even traveled in and out regularly while doing so. And, guess which countries all welcomed me back immediately after. If you are a decent and polite person when you meet an official in the EU, and especially as an American, they JUST DON'T CARE. I'm sorry because I'm sure you will be quite upset to see yourself corrected. But you are wrong here, so please...stop repeating something that isn't accurate, at all.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

I wonder if the same people will cheer as well when Immigration imposes further restrictions on marriage/retirement visas.

No problems..........according to most of the applauders they usually have a "an packed suitcase under the bed and thus can leave within the hour should further restrictions appear in the future" thumbsup.gif .

I just assume them to be very angry and lonely retirees who feel jealous because when younger people started coming to Thailand a few years ago, they realized sadly that their little bahts weren't enough to force young women to sit next to them anymore. Young women suddenly had more options, and...guess which old retirees here didn't make the cut smile.png They miss the 'old days', ha. So now, they sit here on TV, trying to act as if they are 'authority figures' any way they can. Obviously desperate, aren't they?

Edited by John1thru10

I can understand 1-2 days over stay. ...

I think the 90 days is very generous grace period.

Not really a grace: You still have to pay the 500 Baht daily fine wink.png
If I read correctly it is 90 days if you turn yourself in but it does not say if you overstay and the police get you first that it is 90 days.

Your comment demands little response from anyone with an ounce of intellect, but leaving that aside, you clearly have zero responsibility for any spouse or off-spring here. A profile which is synonymous with the free-loading, lawless, irresponsible, jerks that Thailand is trying its hardest to expel! Good luck with your next exit !

And then you got a photo of almost nude go-go girls as avatar, you Mr. Law&Order.

• Like 1

There are so many posts on this thread, breaking forum rules, discussing illegal activity in Thailand I am surprised the topic has not been closed down. I support everyone on here who is against over stayers. However I know its such an emotive subject that there will be posts in support and posts berating what I have just said. Anyone on overstay should be kicked out of Thailand simple as that.

Surrender at your local Immigration Office before your visa is due to run out and pre-pay or pay the fine at the airport.

If you get pulled over on your way out they already know your scenario, or at least that's how I would like to think it would go.

This is aimed at the people who abuse the visa system not the average Joe tourist.

If you got pulled over with a small overstay on the way to the airport or immigration, you'd be marched the nearest ATM to withdraw 20,000 baht.

Anyone even on a single day overstay is in serious danger of extortion under the new rules. The police will probably be setting up checkpoints specifically to look for them so they can extort them.

I just assume them to be very angry and lonely retirees who feel jealous because when younger people started coming to Thailand a few years ago, they realized sadly that their little bahts weren't enough to force young women to sit next to them anymore. Young women suddenly had more options, and...guess which old retirees here didn't make the cut smile.png They miss the 'old days', ha. So now, they sit here on TV, trying to act as if they are 'authority figures' any way they can. Obviously desperate, aren't they?

Many ridiculous comments on this thread, and you are in the running for first place.

• Like 2

I knew a guy who was struggling to pay everything.....4k a month apartment, etc... and he was one of the backpackers who others who constantly complain about. nobody gave him a red cent, and certainly didn't offer solutions. Then, one day, he told me he inherited about 3 million baht and...... well, now he can't stand all those poor, "uneducated" leeches who take handouts and are "destroying this beautiful country"..... but now he can afford to drink a ton and complain non-stop about everything.....

at least he won't have a visa problem for a while.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2012/feb/27/upper-class-people-behave-selfishly

"Privileged people behaved consistently worse than others in a range of situations, with a greater tendency to lie, cheat, take things meant for others, cut up other road users, not stop for pedestrians on crossings, and endorse unethical behaviour, researchers found."

Some of these retirement visa holders think they are now "upper class", "core expats" and those disgusting tourist or ED visa holders receive punishment and crackdowns...

Edited by Timwin

I can't believe there are so many posters on this thread crying about how it's not fair that they won't be able to break the law so easily any longer.

There are rules and regulations for anyone who wants to live in a foreign country. If you currently can't meet the requirements, go home and come back when you can.

I can't believe there are so many guys like you, so desperate to feel as if you are an authority over others. You guys do it all day here, acting as if Thailand's immigration rules somehow place you in positions of authority, when actually, you are an authority of NO ONE. Just like a desperate teacher's pet, really, pretending that if you are put down enough people on TV, that somehow Thailand will respect you for it. It doesn't.

On the contrary, I am aware that I don't have any authority whatsoever. I am an immigrant who follows the regulations put into place by the authority. Sure the visa process is frustrating sometimes (often mindnumbingly so), but I choose to live here and I make it a priority to follow the regulations. And I think everyone else should to.

Edited by up-country_sinclair
  • Like 1

Surrender at your local Immigration Office before your visa is due to run out and pre-pay or pay the fine at the airport.

If you get pulled over on your way out they already know your scenario, or at least that's how I would like to think it would go.

This is aimed at the people who abuse the visa system not the average Joe tourist.

If you got pulled over with a small overstay on the way to the airport or immigration, you'd be marched the nearest ATM to withdraw 20,000 baht.

Anyone even on a single day overstay is in serious danger of extortion under the new rules. The police will probably be setting up checkpoints specifically to look for them so they can extort them.

If it was me specifically your referring to that wouldn't be the case as I would have already been to Immigration and extended my visa before it ran out.

It's not hard to do and doesn't cost much.

• Like 1

UPDATE

Blacklisting proposed for foreigners who overstay in Thailand

BANGKOK: New tougher rules on foreigners overstaying their permits to stay in Phuket are probably on the way, the ThaiVisa.com website reports today (July 7).

Overstayers will be put on a blacklist and barred from the country for a period after they leave.

Thaivisa.com reported that it had seen the proposal detailing the tough new measures for foreigners who overstay in Thailand.

The Phuket News received confirmation today from a source in Immigration Headquarters, who asked not to be named, that a proposal along these lines has been made to the Ministry of Interior, which is expected to approve it “soon”.

ThaiVisa reported that the proposed measures, which will see overstayers of more than 90 days blacklisted, are as follows:

If foreigners “surrender” (usually by presenting themselves at Immigration when leaving the country) they will be barred from returning for a period that will depend on how long they have overstayed. The periods proposed are:

Overstay of more than 90 days: Barred from re-entering the kingdom for one year.

Overstay of more than one year: Barred from re-entering for three years.

Overstay more than three years: Barred from re-entering for five years.

Overstay more than five years: Barred from re-entering for 10 years.

Overstay more than 10 years: Barred for life.

In cases where the foreigner is caught staying in the country illegally:

Overstay of less than a year: Barred for five years.

Overstay of more than a year: Barred for 10 years

Currently those who overstay are fined B500 a day, up to a maximum of B20,000. Some foreigners who are arrested, detained, or deported are also blacklisted, but this is done on a case-by-case basis.

Immigration has recently taken a number of measures to stop foreign nationals abusing the tourist visa system by doing regular ‘Out/In border runs’ in order to stay in Thailand long-term.

It is thought that many of these work in the country illegally.

News first broke of the crackdown on border runners in Thailand in May, with further confirmation the crackdown would be effective from August 12, 2014.

The Phuket News called Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon, who on May 13 confirmed the crackdown, to ask him about the new proposals, but he said that he had been transferred to another post in the Royal Thai Police and could therefore not comment.

He added that no permanent successor at Immigration had yet been appointed.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-07

• Like 2

Depressing to see so many people saying "great to see life getting harder for someone other than me"

What people forget is, there are no good immigration bureaucracies in the world. The western ones mostly suck too. Immigrants are some of the most vulnerable people in the world. Thousands of people fall through the cracks, can't get visas, get separated from their loved ones, etc. because of inflexible bureaucracies.

For a long time one of the attractions of Thailand was that it was easy to come and go. I don't promote overstaying, but if they want to clean up corruption and enforce the law, how about starting with corrupt cops, or hi-so Thais who literally get away with murder? Because foreigners are an easy target that have no rights and no political representation.

If you're cheering on these changes that's what you're supporting -- selective law enforcement that goes after the easy targets.

Who knows where this stops, my concern is that it will continue to a point where living legally in Thailand gets too hard, and then that's one less great place in the world where I can live.

These retirees living smugly on their farms should be next. Confiscate their land and triple the retirement income requirement. Don't let that door you love hit YOUR ass this time. Edited by BudRight
  • Like 1

I can't believe there are so many guys like you, so desperate to feel as if you are an authority over others. You guys do it all day here, acting as if Thailand's immigration rules somehow place you in positions of authority, when actually, you are an authority of NO ONE. Just like a desperate teacher's pet, really, pretending that if you are put down enough people on TV, that somehow Thailand will respect you for it. It doesn't.

On the contrary, I am aware that I don't have any authority whatsoever. I am an immigrant who follows the regulations put into place by the authority. Sure the visa process is frustrating sometimes (often mindnumbingly so), but I choose to live here and I make it a priority to follow the regulations. And I think everyone else should to.

That's fair enough. Sometimes bad things happen to people through no fault of their own which alters their destiny. I have a Norwegian friend who got systematically robbed by hie Thai wife and her family (without his knowledge of course) He arrived in Thailand fairly wealthy and ended up destitute with nowhere to live and on overstay. His so called "friends" abandoned him. Most of us know stories like this so it would be wrong to assume that everybody else doesn't try to do it right (of course there are some that don't, I appreciate that)

• Like 2

Your comment demands little response from anyone with an ounce of intellect, but leaving that aside, you clearly have zero responsibility for any spouse or off-spring here. A profile which is synonymous with the free-loading, lawless, irresponsible, jerks that Thailand is trying its hardest to expel! Good luck with your next exit !

And then you got a photo of almost nude go-go girls as avatar, you Mr. Law&Order.

What visa are you on? You seem to have significant issues regarding a countries right to chose their own requirements on visa regulations, and anyone who disagrees with your victimised stance you attack.

Answer the question young man, it's been asked by a few. Are you a Jack Golf frequent rider?

• Like 2

Exactly. What would happen if they announced that everyone needs to have 1m USD in a bank to qualify for a long term visa? Or that to get a work permit you need to earn 1m USD a year?

Watch how the whining little toads would suddenly change their tune.

The visa system here needs an overhall for sure...but some of the sanctimonious posts on here make me want to vomit.

Guess what, most people would leave. Give it a rest, Thailand is not going to become the next North Korea or Democratic Republic of Shinawatra.

Just received from acsbkk. For US citizens.

Thai Immigration’s Enforcement of Thai Visa Exemption Policy

July 7, 2014

U.S. citizens are reminded that Thailand immigration laws require visitors to remain in the proper visa status. U.S. citizen tourists traveling to Thailand are eligible to enter Thailand without a visa and stay for 30 days under the Thai visa exemption policy if they are able to show an onward/return ticket and possess a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond their date of entry into Thailand.

The Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs has informed us that Thai Immigration will enforce existing foreign entry regulations and step up efforts to prevent abuse of the 30-day visa exemption policy for tourism granted to some foreigners, including U.S. citizens. Thai immigration authorities will review carefully travelers who have received permission to stay for 30 days through the visa exemption policy, and who subsequently seek to reenter Thailand repeatedly for an additional 30 days under the same program. If immigration officials perceive that individuals are entering Thailand to reside for an extended time or indefinitely, rather than seeking entry for tourism, such individuals may be denied re-entry. If so, they will be referred to a Royal Thai Embassy outside of Thailand to apply for a regular Thai visa before seeking to enter Thailand again. The U.S. Embassy and Consulate are not able to intervene with Thai Immigration or the airlines regarding their regulations and policies on behalf of a U.S. citizen who is denied re-entry.

U.S. long-term tourists and business travelers should check with the Royal Thai Embassy about Thailand’s visa requirements. Additional information is available at the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for Thailand at http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/thailand.html.

• Like 1

Well, dont be stupid and overstay. You know the consequences of your actions if you don't follow the rules, it's that simple.

• Like 2

Pretty lenient I think.

If you overstay in the EU/US then chances are you aren't ever going to be allowed back in.

I am so, sick and tired, of hearing this false statement repeated, over and over here about the EU. It is simply not true. Yes, technically you're not supposed to, but in Europe, they REALLY DON'T CARE, even for very long periods of time, and there is no fine. I lived in Berlin for a year and wasn't supposed to. I lived in Paris for 2 years, and wasn't supposed to. And I could name more and more over decades, and even traveled in and out regularly while doing so. And, guess which countries all welcomed me back immediately after. If you are a decent and polite person when you meet an official in the EU, and especially as an American, they JUST DON'T CARE. I'm sorry because I'm sure you will be quite upset to see yourself corrected. But you are wrong here, so please...stop repeating something that isn't accurate, at all.

This is part of the expat mythology - that Thailand has an easy system and everywhere else is difficult. It's total bullshit.

• Like 2

UPDATE

Blacklisting proposed for foreigners who overstay in Thailand

BANGKOK: New tougher rules on foreigners overstaying their permits to stay in Phuket are probably on the way, the ThaiVisa.com website reports today (July 7).

Overstayers will be put on a blacklist and barred from the country for a period after they leave.

Thaivisa.com reported that it had seen the proposal detailing the tough new measures for foreigners who overstay in Thailand.

The Phuket News received confirmation today from a source in Immigration Headquarters, who asked not to be named, that a proposal along these lines has been made to the Ministry of Interior, which is expected to approve it soon.

ThaiVisa reported that the proposed measures, which will see overstayers of more than 90 days blacklisted, are as follows:

If foreigners surrender (usually by presenting themselves at Immigration when leaving the country) they will be barred from returning for a period that will depend on how long they have overstayed. The periods proposed are:

Overstay of more than 90 days: Barred from re-entering the kingdom for one year.

Overstay of more than one year: Barred from re-entering for three years.

Overstay more than three years: Barred from re-entering for five years.

Overstay more than five years: Barred from re-entering for 10 years.

Overstay more than 10 years: Barred for life.

In cases where the foreigner is caught staying in the country illegally:

Overstay of less than a year: Barred for five years.

Overstay of more than a year: Barred for 10 years

Currently those who overstay are fined B500 a day, up to a maximum of B20,000. Some foreigners who are arrested, detained, or deported are also blacklisted, but this is done on a case-by-case basis.

Immigration has recently taken a number of measures to stop foreign nationals abusing the tourist visa system by doing regular Out/In border runs in order to stay in Thailand long-term.

It is thought that many of these work in the country illegally.

News first broke of the crackdown on border runners in Thailand in May, with further confirmation the crackdown would be effective from August 12, 2014.

The Phuket News called Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon, who on May 13 confirmed the crackdown, to ask him about the new proposals, but he said that he had been transferred to another post in the Royal Thai Police and could therefore not comment.

He added that no permanent successor at Immigration had yet been appointed.

tpn.jpg

-- Phuket News 2014-07-07

Probably. Proposed. It is thought. Source is now unavailable for comment. Thaivia should congratulate itself for such fine and intrepid journalism.

Yes...seems to smell a lot like the scaremongering a few years agoon this very website by an affiliate on how they were going to start jailing ovetstayers. Nothing came of that bit of fiction...lets see what happens with this.

The anomaly here is the 5 year ban

(for those that are caught) which is triggered by as little as a one day overstay. As Jing pointed out there are a number of ways in which perfectly innocent individuals could be caught out .

Needs to be a certain amount of flexibility allowed in these cases or at least a genuine appeal process.

Edited by joecoolfrog
  • Like 1

Pretty lenient I think.

This is part of the expat mythology - that Thailand has an easy system and everywhere else is difficult. It's total bullshit.

Really? A US citizen can jump on a plane anytime they want and come to Thailand, Can a Thai do that for the USA? No...Took allot of work and time to get a visa for my wife to the USA. So tell me where the myth is? I have been able to live and work in Thailand for almost 20 years without any real issues. I get my visa easily every year. Granted I have a good company and good job and I know allot of teachers struggle to get visas, but it's not the teachers fault it the Thai company that hires them. This should stop all of that and make it much better for teachers and other people that are working and having a problem getting the paper work to get a visa.

• Like 2