Traffic Cops running amok in Chiang Mai

spartacusfreethought

Having lived in Chiang Mai for many a year I am accustomed to seeing the traffic cops out 'n about a couple of times a year, usually around the festival periods, stopping the unwary for not having a helmet and making a little tea money. No big deal.

However, in recent weeks there has been a sharp increase in the number of traffic cops in and around Chiang Mai. On a daily basis at 2 or 3 locations, which change regularly, they set up road blocks and pretty much stop most road users for any possible infringement.

One has to ask about the legality of these stops and the methods of intimidation used to extort money from the public. If you're a farang (foreigner) then you will more than likely be stopped. I know this as I get stopped all the time, until I started changing routes. Now they ask for licence, passport, vehicle registration, all sorts of documentation. Should you fail to have anything they demand then you get threatened with a 500 baht fine, (or paying the officer a sly 200 baht). Even when demanding a ticket to pay at a police station, which is only 200 baht any way, they are reluctant to issue one.

Regularly going from one part of town to another on a daily basisit is becoming increasingly annoying. Having had enough of paying these guys money for something or other I finally stood my ground. Asking the officer to provide me with some identification and proof that he was operating legally -under martial law- which he would not do, started a 30 minute stand-off. Wanting me to speak with his superior which I politely refused as again no one would tell me their name or police badge number the situation ended up with me being told to go, without paying any money or getting a ticket.

Since last month the country has been under martial law which by definition means that all civilian laws are suspended. Pointing this fact out to the officer and asking for identification myself to confirm who the individual was only leads me to wonder are all these traffic stops illegal? Or are they in-fact just a revenue generation programme for the traffic police?

It's getting to the point of being ridiculous. So I'll not be paying any more 'tea' money.

• Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well done mate,i admire your stand,and wish u lots of luck,but as i said on a other post,the public servants have relised what such a cash cow is on there roads,whether its being motivated by the coup who noes,but some one is really making hay why they can.

Been riding around on a bike for 5 weeks now, cant go on the moat roads and that 3 road intersection between chang phueak hospital and the stadium without seeing them setup

East side seems to be pretty free of them

• Like 1

And you are quite within your rights not to pay tea money.

However if you are infringing the laws of the road then graciously accept a ticket and pay your dues at the station.

The officer also has the task of preparing a ticket for what is legitimate.

No big melodrama though, so why do you see it as that.

• Like 2

There's been no change in the frequency or number of these checks, it's the same as before, I must drive through two a day every day. And why it is that others get stopped frequently and I never get stopped, remains a mystery.

Nah, there's loads more checkpoints in CM the last two weeks.

There was even one in Mae Rim today, never ever seen one in Mae Rim before.

• Like 1

Imposing martial law doesn't suspend civil law. Martial law in Thailand has the following features:

The military now has powers to detain people without a warrant for up to one week, to seize property, and to search people or property without a court order. It also provides the military with impunity from claims for compensation.

There is no mention of the suspension of civil law especially minor things like traffic laws.

• Like 1

I'm on the roads around town every day. These check points are no more of an imposition than traffic lights, and usually are faster,

If you have the documents that Thailand requires you to have when you drive, there is nothing the police can do other than send you on your way.

No drama. No stress.

If you choose not to have them, and prefer the drama, well... that's your choice to make.

Does this include passports for foreigners?

I may be lucky, but I've not been stopped in Chiang Mai. Nowadays I'm in a car almost all the time and that may be the reason. The cops do give the sticker a glance and look at me, presumably to see if I'm wearing a seat belt, then wave me through.

I have seen farangs wearing helmets getting pulled over, which I never used to see.

• Like 1

I'm on the roads around town every day. These check points are no more of an imposition than traffic lights, and usually are faster,

If you have the documents that Thailand requires you to have when you drive, there is nothing the police can do other than send you on your way.

No drama. No stress.

If you choose not to have them, and prefer the drama, well... that's your choice to make.

I may be lucky, but I've not been stopped in Chiang Mai. Nowadays I'm in a car almost all the time and that may be the reason. The cops do give the sticker a glance and look at me, presumably to see if I'm wearing a seat belt, then wave me through.

I have seen farangs wearing helmets getting pulled over, which I never used to see.

They are checking DLs, foreigners often don't have them.

They don't care about insurance or passport.

• Like 1

No drama. No stress.

I believe Thai law stipulates that we carry our passports at all times. Many countries have this requirement. However, for most things, a signed photocopy seems to pass muster here in Thailand, and is all that I carry, folded up in my wallet. The only places the copy has not been accepted has been the banks or, of course, Immigration. That, along with my Thai driver's license as worked for my ID. But for driving, I keep a photocopy of my bike's green book under the seat just in case that is requested too.

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Gotta laugh at you Chiang Mai Noobs, it has been like this in Bangkok for the last 30 years.

I remember getting stopped at 4 separate mass road blocks going to work one Saturday morning in Bangkok.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 2

No drama. No stress.

I believe Thai law stipulates that we carry our passports at all times. Many countries have this requirement. However, for most things, a signed photocopy seems to pass muster here in Thailand, and is all that I carry, folded up in my wallet. The only places the copy has not been accepted has been the banks or, of course, Immigration. That, along with my Thai driver's license as worked for my ID. But for driving, I keep a photocopy of my bike's green book under the seat just in case that is requested too.

But have the police asked you for your passport at one of the checkpoints?

I only carry my Thai DL, and of course the sticker on the car/bike, and insurance papers. The DL has always been accepted as ID here in Thailand.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

I think some of the police forces lines of revenue have been compromised since martial law so they are ramping up the one line they are sure will work that the army will not interfere with.

Must be a bugger having to stand around in the heat all day to make their tea money! Haha.

It's better than having them resort to real crime. Don't complain.

• Like 1

The problem here is if you think you are getting short shrift, the first thing they do is take (read, "confiscate") your driver's licence. You have no bargaining room if they have your licence and will not give it back.

No drama. No stress.

They are checking DLs, foreigners often don't have them.

They don't care about insurance or passport.

It is my understanding that they will not check every thing. They set up certain things to check for on that day and let the others go. Many is the time I have seen people wearing helmets pulled over while people not wearing them ride rite on by.

• Like 1

No drama. No stress.

But have the police asked you for your passport at one of the checkpoints?

I only carry my Thai DL, and of course the sticker on the car/bike, and insurance papers. The DL has always been accepted as ID here in Thailand.

Yes.

About a year ago, having just returned to Thailand, I was driving on an IDL and a Japanese drivers license as my old Thai license had expired. I was stopped at a check point and when I showed my IDL, the cop asked to see my 'home' driver's license and my passport. The photocopy that I was carrying had the picture page, visa, and entry stamp. He looked at the date of entry more than anything else on the paper. It was at that time that the cop politely told me that Thailand was now enforcing the 6-month rule (or was it a 3-month rule? Japan had the 6-month I'm sure, but I can't remember which he said for Thailand, anyway...) and that I needed to get my Thai driver's license renewed as I wouldn't be able to use the IDL shortly.

I've been stopped half a dozen times since, but never again asked for my passport. Perhaps it's because I always had a valid Thai license shortly after. However, as I said in a previous post, my wife WAS asked to produce her passport at a checkpoint coming back from Nan last week, but probably because she is Asian and the cop wanted to be sure of her nationality even though she had a Thai drivers license too. Considering it all fits on one piece of A4 paper, it's easy enough to have all the documents available if needed. It's not as if we have to carry a special attache case for the stuff.

Edited by FolkGuitar

The military is cracking down on everything. In their move for reforms and stopping corruption. Read the news once and a while. its not hard to figure out why the police are actually out their doing their job now.

have to agree here. it seems a lot of people don't watch or read the Thai news. there are crackdowns in every department; immigration, police, customs, education, the post...

corruption is what was destroying the country. reform is the only hope.

• Like 2

The military is cracking down on everything. In their move for reforms and stopping corruption. Read the news once and a while. its not hard to figure out why the police are actually out their doing their job now.

have to agree here. it seems a lot of people don't watch or read the Thai news. there are crackdowns in every department; immigration, police, customs, education, the post...

Of course we all know this reform is only going to last for a year or two when the new government comes in. All the crackdown is just a temporary pain in the butt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Imposing martial law doesn't suspend civil law. Martial law in Thailand has the following features:

The military now has powers to detain people without a warrant for up to one week, to seize property, and to search people or property without a court order. It also provides the military with impunity from claims for compensation.

There is no mention of the suspension of civil law especially minor things like traffic laws.

When the junta suspends the constitution, what backs civil law? The power of a coup is that it is the only law, mostly unwritten except for decrees, of the land. Civil courts are suspended and replaced by miltary court.

I was stopped at a checkpoint 30km SW of Lampang on a minor road 2 weeks ago, 5 MIB very serious...

had the Thai bike riding plastic thingy in my wallet but so surprised to see them off the tourist track..

Not just the heavily used main roads people.

Ah! Yes, limegreenpotato, you are here so long and with such "wisdom!"

Or, perhaps, you have been here a while longer. That is difficult to say because there are still many unregerated aging "hippies" living in Chiang Mai who would agree with you as well as miscellaneous Ayn Rand affectionados (who apparently haven't read anything since adolescence) who seem to think that they are constantly persecuted by Chiang Mai traffic police or the "foollish laws and regulations" of the country they have decided to settle in by default or intention.

You say, basicallly that "we" all know this reform is only going to last for a year or two when the new government comes in and then go away. All the crackdown is is just a temporary limited pain in the butt. And so on. Correct? Probably wrong, and very wrong sooner than you think. Those in power now do, in many respects, represent the general view of expatriates held by many Thai people in Chiang Mai, certainly. regardless of any other views of recent political changes. Change takes time. We are not talking about any version of bokor harem here. We are talking about a government that has some very legitimate concerns shared with many Thais who are not at all interested in any sort of "repression."

So, what is suggested, quite simply in a very pedestrian manner, is simply to do the legally needful, or move on. No one is holding you here.

Edited by Mapguy

I have a full , unlimited bike licence (and car etc) and also a "international drivers permit". Assuming everything else is in order such as tax / ins etc and i havent commited a traffic infringement , what paperwork do i need to carry , in order to avoid any "charges".