Traffic Cops running amok in Chiang Mai

spartacusfreethought

You are lucky, they are hanging around the toll booths in Bangkok and telling you you were speeding after you pay the toll. I worked it out, while you pay the toll, a traffic cop on foot writes down your plate number on his clipboard and a speed he comes up with next to it, blocks you from getting much past the toll gate, shows his clipboard to you and points to your plate number and a photo-copy of something in Thai aside from the Bht 1,000 that is on it twice. Then asks for your license and says "camera, 7 days police station" "Or Bht 1,000 now" with his hand out.

My reply would be please lock me up, unless you can show me proof (a radar gun) that I was speeding. Otherwise I have your job officer, and you will have to answer to General Prayuth. Have you forgotten that I have his number and you are now answerable for all of your crimes? Things are different. There is a new sheriff in town. You are not going to purchase a new villa, or BMW with my money, so unless you have proof, lock me up now, you toad of a man. Or do the right thing and let me go, and then go out there and fight crime. Oh, I forgot you do not fight crime. You just collect money. Good job.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I tend to get pulled over on the motorbike if I am dressed well.

Maybe dressing down is a strategy to avoid being a BIB ATM

Perhaps it's even easier just not to give them any excuse to penalize us. If we have the required documents, there is no reason to give them any money or play into any corruption.

I have all my paper's in order. I just notice they pull me over if I have nicer dress.

And less interested in me when I look like I have less resources.

It just shows their intent. It's not about safety.

I guess it's a two edged sword. The women want to know me.. And the police want to fleece me.

• Like 1

You are lucky, they are hanging around the toll booths in Bangkok and telling you you were speeding after you pay the toll. I worked it out, while you pay the toll, a traffic cop on foot writes down your plate number on his clipboard and a speed he comes up with next to it, blocks you from getting much past the toll gate, shows his clipboard to you and points to your plate number and a photo-copy of something in Thai aside from the Bht 1,000 that is on it twice. Then asks for your license and says "camera, 7 days police station" "Or Bht 1,000 now" with his hand out.

My reply would be please lock me up, unless you can show me proof (a radar gun) that I was speeding. Otherwise I have your job officer, and you will have to answer to General Prayuth. Have you forgotten that I have his number and you are now answerable for all of your crimes? Things are different. There is a new sheriff in town. You are not going to purchase a new villa, or BMW with my money, so unless you have proof, lock me up now, you toad of a man. Or do the right thing and let me go, and then go out there and fight crime. Oh, I forgot you do not fight crime. You just collect money. Good job.

Spidermike

I hope you had fun writing that, perhaps now you'll tell us what you would really do!

• Like 2

Spidermike

I hope you had fun writing that, perhaps now you'll tell us what you would really do!

Exactly..what a load of cobblers..

Hope spiderman has a great lawyer available for the day [that will come for sure] that a cop retaliates to the mouth he's being given and take him away for a reality check..well overdue for one if you believe anything thats been posted here by him...w00t.gif

• Like 1

Spidermike

I mess with the cops every time they hassle me. I find if you push back they tend to soften their posture. It is almost as if they are looking for easy marks.

Spidermike007

Gotta laugh at you Chiang Mai Noobs, it has been like this in Bangkok for the last 30 years.

I remember getting stopped at 4 separate mass road blocks going to work one Saturday morning in Bangkok.

and you appear to be quite proud of this. Ridiculous

Chiang Mai is like a bucket of crabs.

If one crab tries to climb out the other crabs pull them down.

Swagger Jacker capital of the world.

Excellence or individuality is highly discouraged.

I say everyone should buy Spider Mike a beer. Caveat: Unless his conduct is made up

• Like 1

And you are quite within your rights not to pay tea money.

However if you are infringing the laws of the road then graciously accept a ticket and pay your dues at the station.

The officer also has the task of preparing a ticket for what is legitimate.

No big melodrama though, so why do you see it as that.

If you lived in Chiang Mai you would understand the issue. Also if you read the OP you'd realise why it's an issue. Getting stopped 3 or 4 times DAILY, every day, for no other reason than being a Farang. When officers refuse to give their names or number you think this is okay? Officers intimidating you for 500 baht when the fine is only 200 baht and the fine for no apparent reason, is frustrating and probably not legal. God bless the Junta who are cracking down on all corruption. Yeah, right...

• Like 1

There are some posters here who were opposed to the PT corruption but think that the BIB's are ok if it saves them time. Corruption is wrong anytime and the police in Thailand are a sad joke. They have no interest in helping anyone except themselves. This is ok according to some posters as they are on a low income. Every cop in Thailand I have met has been very wealthy due to this corruption and if the dear leader was serious about corruption (not just press conferences) he would tackle this issue with jail time for those involved.

Wouldn't it be nice if traffic cops actually dealt with traffic, that is, moving violations rather than all this silliness about things that don't directly kill and maim people? To dream the impossible dream....

• Like 1

However if you are infringing the laws of the road then graciously accept a ticket and pay your dues at the station.

If you lived in Chiang Mai you would understand the issue. Also if you read the OP you'd realise why it's an issue. Getting stopped 3 or 4 times DAILY, every day, for no other reason than being a Farang. When officers refuse to give their names or number you think this is okay? Officers intimidating you for 500 baht when the fine is only 200 baht and the fine for no apparent reason, is frustrating and probably not legal. God bless the Junta who are cracking down on all corruption. Yeah, right...

Do I understand correctly, that you are getting stopped 3-4 times every day, and the police fine you every day (or even 3-4 times a day!)

Have you considered correcting the 'reasons' the police levy fines against you?

Seems like an easy problem to fix. But it's your choice how you want to handle this.

If you are not in violation of the law, they really can't levy fines or intimidate you. And you never have to worry about contributing to corruption either!

It would seem to solve all your problems.

Do I understand correctly, that you are getting stopped 3-4 times every day, and the police fine you every day (or even 3-4 times a day!)

Seems like an easy problem to fix. But it's your choice how you want to handle this.

If you are not in violation of the law, they really can't levy fines or intimidate you. And you never have to worry about contributing to corruption either!

Nope, I don't pay one baht as I'm totally legal, but if not for my Thai driving license it would be different methinks (regarding extortion, not being illegal). But, just getting stopped every 500 meters around the moat road is not amusing

Several consecutive posts critical of CM police activity...

Time for FG to rejoin the fray.

Good call. But I don't see these posts as critical of CM police activity. I see them as people who haven't yet figured out how simplify their lives. Behaving in ways that they would never dream of in their home countries, then complaining about it when they get dinged for it. Basically, setting themselves up for some nasty drama. It's not something unique to Thailand. The first thing police ask for in most countries is 'license and registration,' and in many areas 'proof of insurance.' And if you don't have it, it's not a $6 fine... In many areas, you are NOT permitted to continue driving the vehicle. While motorcycle touring in Northern Italy, we were often stopped by the Caribinari and required to show passport, IDL and home licenses, bike registration, and insurance papers. Same in the Austrian Alps. Nothing unusual in this. Here in Thailand it goes on more often, but then, here in Thailand more people are breaking the laws on a regular basis...

This last one complaining about getting stopped and fined 3-4 times a day, and never figuring out that it could be so easily corrected...

Or complaining about corruption when at the same time they are breaking the law too? It's OK for them to break the law but not the police?

Sorry, but this doesn't make much sense to me.

Granted, the police 'should' set an example, but the fact is, there are cops in EVERY country who behave this way.

On a side note: Isn't it remarkable just how many posters in these last two threads have just a couple of posts to their names, or joined TV in the last 24 hours...

got me today, driving across road when I should have turned right (LK/night Bazaar).

Gave me a ticket then tried to stop me driving ahead when I should turn left (LK/Iron Bridge).

No mate, you just gave me a ticket, I can do what I like for the next week.

He agreed, and waved me off.

They are everywhere!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Nope, I don't pay one baht as I'm totally legal, but if not for my Thai driving license it would be different methinks (regarding extortion, not being illegal). But, just getting stopped every 500 meters around the moat road is not amusing

Each side of the moat is roughly 2,400 meters long. Are you now telling us that you've actually seen FOUR police roadblocks on one side of the moat at the same time? Or even two, turn a corner and find two more? And you were stopped at each of them? Something tells me that you are not being completely honest with us... Except for one occasion when one of the roadblocks had a secondary 'catcher' set up for people trying to scoot through the first, I don't believe I've EVER seen more than one roadblock set up on the roads around the moat in the past 15 years. There are times when I've seen one set up on the moat, another set up several streets away, but that's about it.

Please, when did you see this massive police roadblock system?

Edited by FolkGuitar

I'm sorry but I just don't believe a person gets stopped 3 or 4 times in a day, DAILY, it just doesn't happen, unless, they are clearly in violation of the law and wearing a tee shirt that says, "I'll give you 500 baht if you stop me".

You have not been around Udon Thani or Nong Khai have you ?

if they do a "big check" they put themselves at nearly every cross section with trafic lights...

Try to get to the other side off Udon then on a motor bike ... ;-)

@ folkguitar (out of room on my post) In reply to your post to me) Each side of the moat is roughly 2,400 meters long. Are you now telling us that you've actually seen FOUR police roadblocks on one side of the moat at the same time? Or even two, turn a corner and find two more? And you were stopped at each of them? Something tells me that you are not being completely honest with us... Except for one occasion when one of the roadblocks had a secondary 'catcher' set up for people trying to scoot through the first, I don't believe I've EVER seen more than one roadblock set up on the roads around the moat in the past 15 years. There are times when I've seen on set up on the moat, another set up several streets away, but that's about it.

Please, when did you see this massive police roadblock system?

Hahaha! Okay I was exaggerating about the every 500 meters bit but I've been stopped on 3 sides of the moat road in one hit, more than once too. I now avoid the moat road where possible

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I just don't believe a person gets stopped 3 or 4 times in a day, DAILY, it just doesn't happen, unless, they are clearly in violation of the law and wearing a tee shirt that says, "I'll give you 500 baht if you stop me".

You have not been around Udon Thani or Nong Khai have you ?

if they do a "big check" they put themselves at nearly every cross section with trafic lights...

Try to get to the other side off Udon then on a motor bike ... ;-)

We're talking about Chiang Mai, I've no idea what happens elsewhere in the country but I do know what happens here!

• Like 1

The Police have the right to set up as many road blocks they want to check for none licence drivers, none road tax, check for drugs especially up your part of the country and illegal other things. Over the few months before the coup the Khon Kaen Police had road blocks on near every main traffic light set mainly motor bike ridders no helmets and I see them issue tickets and take the keys away until they come back with the stamp on the ticket paid. The KK police are pretty straight never had to pay tea money once they give you tickets.

The day of the coup announcement the road blocks vanished for 3 weeks not sure why but they are back to the same as before now.

The Police have the right to set up as many road blocks they want to check for none licence drivers, none road tax, check for drugs especially up your part of the country and illegal other things. Over the few months before the coup the Khon Kaen Police had road blocks on near every main traffic light set mainly motor bike ridders no helmets and I see them issue tickets and take the keys away until they come back with the stamp on the ticket paid. The KK police are pretty straight never had to pay tea money once they give you tickets.

The day of the coup announcement the road blocks vanished for 3 weeks not sure why but they are back to the same as before now.

You are absolutely right... But they do not have the right to extort a "you pay now dai mai?" fee - which is usually the case here in Chiang Mai...

And the ONLY reason they are out in the hot sun is because the "fine" is going in their pocket...

And if you have to cross the city to go to and from work or the gym it is easy to be stopped twice in each direction on such a trip... Hence the 4 times a day possibility...

Edited by sfokevin

A point to note is that when martial law was announced and the constitution suspended civilian laws are no longer in effect - fact. In addition, police demanding 'pay now' money is corrupt, and like garden weeds will only get worse. Failure for any officer to produce verifiable identification nullifies their right to official statues, therefore one person (legal fiction) asking another person for anything is voluntarily acted upon. Failure for the officer concerned to even give a name or the name of his ranking superior is suspicious behaviour. Even more suspicious is/was the reluctance to issue a ticket, with the emphasis on wanting cash there and then.

Oh well, mai pen rai?

They've suspended the Constitution - they haven't suspended the Penal Code.

Each side of the moat is roughly 2,400 meters long. ...

Fact checker (and Google Earth tools/ruler) says: 1,600 meters.

But the point of the point still stands.

Is that measuring the inside of the inside lane or the outside of the outside lane?laugh.png