How much should an established live-in Thai housekeeper be paid?

attrayant

How much should a live-in Thai housekeeper be paid?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see we've done this before, but none of the threads I looked at had a poll. Since the polling feature seems to be enabled here, I thought I'd give this topic another go-round with a poll attached to see what the data looks like.

My inlaws have a housekeeper (who they refer to as a servant - a term that I deplore), and they pay her only 6,000 baht a month. She has her own (non air-conditioned) room and access to all household amenities including food. I think she has been here about eight years or so.

In my opinion, she's great. She's constantly on the move, sweeping this or mopping that. She washes the clothes of everybody who lives in the house (six people, at present), irons my shirts and even the sheets believe it or not. She cooks two meals a day, seven days a week. She gives the dogs a weekly bath and sweeps the street in front of the house every morning. She's awake before I am and goes to sleep after I do.

My brother in law says she's talking about leaving. She hasn't given a reason, but I'm thinking that 6,000 is on the very low end of what a really good housekeeper like her should make. I suggested that I and the other working professionals (who can easily afford it) chip in an extra 500 baht per month as an enticement to get her to stay. That would raise her salary to 8,000. All of them think I'm insane for wanting to pay that much.

The family considers her very trustworthy - petty cash and valuables are often left lying around and nothing has ever gone missing. More than once she has rescued and returned to me, money from my pants pockets while doing the laundry. Everyone agrees that she'll be hard to replace because you can't just trust any stranger with keys to your kingdom. And yet they're all opposed to chipping in a few more dollars to keep her.

So what do you say? How much should a person with the duties I've described be paid? I'm thinking 8,000 is about right, considering that she gets free room and food.

• Like 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are thinking like a farang, not a Thai.

She aint leaving because of the salary, something or someone has pissed her off.

In Ayuttaya, 3,500 baht per month is the going rate.

As for her salary, where is she working, upcountry somewhere?

Does she speak English and ready to move to Bkk?

A reliable, hard working housekeeper who's been with the family a while, knows all the ins and outs of the household and is trustworthy is priceless.

Within reason, pay her whatever it takes to retain her. 8k seems reasonable for BKK. Slightly less for up country.

T

• Like 2

Perhaps I wasn't clear. She is already working in my house, which is really my inlaw's house - yes in Bangkok. It's quite a large house, six bedrooms and four bathrooms. And the windows are always open so she is forever dusting the hundreds of tiny wooden carvings and assorted knickknacks that infest every nook and cranny of the house.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. She is already working in my house, which is really my inlaw's house - yes in Bangkok. It's quite a large house, six bedrooms and four bathrooms. And the windows are always open so she is forever dusting the hundreds of tiny wooden carvings and assorted knickknacks that infest every nook and cranny of the house.

About the going rate for Bkk.

Are you sure she isnt pregnant and is leaving to save face?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Depends on the reason and circumstance.

No amount of money will work if there is something that has gone wrong with the relationship.

If she is moving because of the money then you know whats she is worth to you and others opinions are irrelevant.

Pay her what u can, im going through shit now regarding this. Pay what u think is fair. I wanna pay more to keep a good maid around. My wife says its too much but then the maid leaves cuz she can get more elsewhere. It sucks. If u find a good one pay her 8,000 for sure if u can afford it. Hell, pay 10k if shes worth it, doing laundry sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

housekeeper couple, multilingual, since 8 years with us, well-versed in all jobs, airconditioned separate accomodation (small staff house) with sat-tv and wifi, total pay for both THB 24,000/month.

additional maid, accomodation as above, THB 9,000/month.

• Like 1

In my experience here it is very difficult to find a good maid and the more money you pay the worse they seem to be! If I was you then I would pay whatever I thought she was worth to us. However seeing as it is not your maid but your inlaws then I would stay well out of it and let them handle and sort of their own business. Whatever happens you will not come out smelling of roses in this situation if you try to stick your oar in.

Good luck.

Many Thai people are cheap with the pay rate for hiring a housekeeper. My parents (Thailand) paid their live in and live out maids well then (30+ years ago) about 5-7,000 THB. There was one live in maid though whom my mother trusted most who was with my mother the longest, she was paid 13,000+ THB. She received gifts from USA whenever my sisters, brothers and I visited Thailand. She had the opportunity to travel to Hong Kong for free to keep my mother company. But the downside was of all those years of trusting her, she stole money bit here bit there (a lot) until she could buy a single house with land, a motor cycle for her brother, give money to her family and a pick up truck.

My family did not suspect her at all because we trusted her until the last incident was a tip off from a banker at the same bank where my mother had a company account that the maid had 3 mil.+ THB in her account. That was almost 20 years ago was not normal for a house maid to have that kind of large savings. The banker knew my parents well for having been a long term customer and noticed of usual transaction activities of the maid's account for a while, they decided to tip off to my mother. The maid confessed that she had been stealing money for many years. My parents then (still do) a wholesale and retail agricultural business and my mother lived alone before she passed away, my mother relied on the maid to have an access to the safe.

If the maid is reliable and hard working, she deserves a raise but bear in mind that someday she will have to move on either to marriage or just want to have a life of her own.

Edited by BrooklynNY

housekeeper couple, multilingual, since 8 years with us, well-versed in all jobs, airconditioned separate accomodation (small staff house) with sat-tv and wifi, total pay for both THB 24,000/month.

Can I have a job? I'll even wear the maid outfit.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This thread has turned into "what should I pay my particular live-in Housekeeper. In any case it is nothing to do with 'thinking as Thai or farang'. It is about recognition, established trust, reliability, apparent honesty and loyalty over a few years and, very important, value for money! B10,000 per month won't make her rich or you poor. You will continue to get what you haven't been paying for in the past.

• Like 2

Well done Mr Naam.

One must reward good workers, especially loyal ones.

Some people should have a good hard look at themselves. 3500 baht. w t h.

I voted 8,000.

We pay ours 400 per visit, once a week. Me and the Mrs dont have a lot; we send most laundry out and she can get her work done in 3-4 hours depending.

I have done some creative things with Thai relatives, employees over the years.

We will need one full time when the baby comes. I would like to do something creative with the new maid. I would pay her 7,500 and put 1,500 in a separate bank account every month she stays working. With this growing, and if she does some special work, I might drop a bit extra in there. If she quits before 5 years, she gets nothing. Pregnancy and other emergency exits would be considered by us and we decide if she can get it. But after months, or years she sees a chunk of change waiting for her. I did this with employees and it worked out great. They learn how to save.

I did something similar with wifes cousin. Paid her tuition at a school (40,000) and the arrangement was she pays 2,000 into a separate bank account of mine I set up for this purpose. and when she reaches 40,000 I will give it to her. So she got something paid for and has saved money at the same time. I can see potential in this person and it is working out well (she has 32,000 in it already).

• Like 1

I cannot believe anyone would work 6 days a week for baht 3500!

The OP has described an incredible worker and does not even give her air-conditioning, thats unreal.

I believe Naam is correct with the salary etc for a good live in maid.

By crikey I would do everything I could to keep the maid that the OP is suggesting to give such a minor pay rise to.

Yep, sure don't over do it but really let us be fair!

I cannot vote in he poll because the wages depend on what is expected of the live-in housekeeper. There is no way possible to hire a live in full time housekeeper for 6000 baht per month today.

For a full time live in housekeeper duties involving general housework, cooking and cleaning, probably looking at between 10000 to 12000 baht per month, if you`re lucky.

For a full time live in housekeeper duties involving general housework, cooking, cleaning, child minding and looking after pets, from 15000 baht to 20000 baht, again if you`re lucky.

For a full time live in housekeeper with benefits, meaning also a part time shagkeeper, from 20000 baht up to 40000 baht expected per month.

All the examples above, do not include food, board and lodgings or facilities used, plus they now expect paid time off during the week or at weekends, excluding Thai holidays and festivals

We pay 320 baht per day, 5 days a week, 8:30-4:30, plus 350 a month for rice for the family, plus 150 a week for lunch money. The maid gets an hour off for lunch. We live in Udon.

Usually around 10:00....after the maid has swept all the floors, wiped the porch balconey, mopped the kitchen floor, made the beds, and washed a load of clothes.....I start thinking she's already earned her keep for the day. But then she goes on to wash dishes, dust, clean windows, wash the dog occasionally, feed the dog every day, take out the garbage, fold and iron all the clothes, and deep clean one room per day.

I try to remind myself and my wife how incredibly lucky we are to have a trusted worker in our home doing all the hard work for us. No phone, no chatting, no tv, no sitting on her butt.

We take her out to eat once a week.....and I'll top off her motorcycle with benzene remnants when I fill up my gas tank for yard work.

I used to give 8000 per month to a live in GF who cooked two meals a day, did about 30 mins of cleaning a day and played on her phone all day...but that included sex.

Ha, I pay 3 times that amount and mine don't even cook !!!