How much should an established live-in Thai housekeeper be paid?

attrayant

How much should a live-in Thai housekeeper be paid?  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"housekeeper couple, multilingual, since 8 years with us, well-versed in all jobs, airconditioned separate accomodation (small staff house) with sat-tv and wifi, total pay for both THB 24,000/month."

This sounds about right. We've had our home-keeper (maid, cleaner, cook, child minder etc) for over 23 years, in 5 different countries. We pay her over the "recommended rates" of the country where we are at the time (once she was earning more than the Nepalese Prime Minister's "official" salary!!!), but she kept the family together. She is one of us. So, pay as much as you'd want to be paid yourself, and tell her that she is a gem!

• Like 1

My Thai missus has a housekeeper 6 days a week. 8 am to 6 pm in Bangkok. 6k a month.

let's not forget that there are housekeepers and there are maids. huge big difference between these two categories.

• Like 1

housekeeper couple, multilingual, since 8 years with us, well-versed in all jobs, airconditioned separate accomodation (small staff house) with sat-tv and wifi, total pay for both THB 24,000/month.

additional maid, accomodation as above, THB 9,000/month.

Well done Mr Naam.

One must reward good workers, especially loyal ones.

Some people should have a good hard look at themselves. 3500 baht. w t h.

add trustworthy ND! would anybody leave Thailand for a month and leave a home with valuable content and two cherished dogs (considered to be family members) to a maid who earns 3,500 Baht?

My Thai missus has a housekeeper 6 days a week. 8 am to 6 pm in Bangkok. 6k a month.

let's not forget that there are housekeepers and there are maids. huge big difference between these two categories.

I hope you don't force your maids or housekeepers to look at that aweful avatar of yours...... no money could compensate them for that. So ugly, I really can't understand why you let yourself go like this ! 555555555

housekeeper couple, multilingual, since 8 years with us, well-versed in all jobs, airconditioned separate accomodation (small staff house) with sat-tv and wifi, total pay for both THB 24,000/month.

Well done Mr Naam.

One must reward good workers, especially loyal ones.

Some people should have a good hard look at themselves. 3500 baht. w t h.

add trustworthy ND! would anybody leave Thailand for a month and leave a home with valuable content and two cherished dogs (considered to be family members) to a maid who earns 3,500 Baht?

Too right Mr Naam. Let's not lose sight that 1000 baht back in western countries only buys a cup of coffee or a beer OR two, how anyone could pay 3500 baht and keep a straight face is beyond me.

This thread has turned into "what should I pay my particular live-in Housekeeper. In any case it is nothing to do with 'thinking as Thai or farang'. It is about recognition, established trust, reliability, apparent honesty and loyalty over a few years and, very important, value for money! B10,000 per month won't make her rich or you poor. You will continue to get what you haven't been paying for in the past.

You are very wrong in this view. Thais DO think completely differently from farang and the fact that the OP hasn't even bothered to ask her why she wants to leave is very telling. In most cases, particularly if your maid has been with you a long-ish time, they just want to go home. Money is not so much the issue as many farang on here would have you believe. You are jumping to conclusions a la your Western thinking, (but not wanting to engage with her as a person). Ask her. You would in a similar situation in your home country, where they do mind being called a 'servant', (PC or not to PC), but certainly not here (kon rab chai/mae baan is certainly not an insult here). If she's had enough, no harm done and no amount of extra money will stop her going home. From what you describe, she's quite probably knackered (eight years of all that? ermm.gif) You didn't mention her age, do you know anything about her or her familial circumstances?

BTW Here on Phuket you'd be lucky to get one for minimum 10-15k per month and she might last 'til her first payday.

Thais DO think completely differently from farang and the fact that the OP hasn't even bothered to ask her why she wants to leave is very telling.

Telling? Okay I'll bite. What have you learned about me? Keeping in mind that she's not my housekeeper and I've no right sticking my nose in.

Minimum salary is 300 baht/day, extras as room/food cannot be deducted in salary, after what have been written in the TV Thai News Section.

Going rate for live-in housekeepers seems to be quite low among Thais, depending of age a young girl may have as little as 3,500-5,000 baht/month.

A normal rate should be between 8,000 and 9,000 depending of days off, however some may "go" for less for live-in rather than need of renting/sharing a room and pay a meal themselves.

Presume going rate for Thai live-in housekeepers/maid among farangs are more in the level around 10,000 baht/month and up. Miranmar or Lao workers may be less, if work permit etc. is arranged and paid for by the employer (house master).

Edited by khunPer

She has her own (non air-conditioned) room and access to all household amenities including food. ..GIVE HER AC

She's constantly on the move, ( WORKING HARD ) sweeping this or mopping that. She washes the clothes of everybody who lives in the house (six people, at present), irons my shirts and even the sheets believe it or not. She cooks two meals a day, seven days a week. She gives the dogs a weekly bath and sweeps the street in front of the house every morning. She's awake before I am and goes to sleep after I do. The family considers her very trustworthy - petty cash and valuables are often left lying around and nothing has ever gone missing. More than once she has rescued and returned to me, money from my pants pockets while doing the laundry. . It's quite a large house, six bedrooms and four bathrooms. And the windows are always open so she is forever dusting the hundreds of tiny wooden carvings and assorted knickknacks that infest every nook and cranny of the house.

Worth every bit of 10000Baht a month, probably more. Just because we live in Thailand does not mean that we can not VALUE a persons HARD WORK and LOYALTY , Ask yourself: Would I do this for 20,000B or would I want 25,000B or 30,000, or more. Then cut it in 1/2, that's what she should be paid at the minimum!!!!!! I can NOT believe how CHEAP some people can be. Just my opinion

Can I have a job? I'll even wear the maid outfit.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Woow, what an offer... whistling.gif

–I've never been able to agree with my maids about waering uniform, they seems to disagree on the outfit I prefere and showed them a variety of models to choose from; they say that I better save the money for uniforms as they prefere their own "outfit"... sad.png

Working from dawn to dusk, 7 days a week. Trustworthy faithful etc.

Sometimes you don't know what you have until it is gone. Talk to her to

find out what the issue is. Try to resolve the problem. A nice bonus if she decides

to leave anyway. wai.gif

not sure what a pay rate is

$1 an hour 8 hour a day X 30 = $240 = 7500baht

less accommodation

plus extra hours

Think a $1 is a little low but don't live there.

Perhaps a silly question, but if you do not live here, and do not have a clue about the rates, why bother to post?

My neighbor in Isaan pays 5,500 and the job is 7 days a week, 3 children, live in, no air con, although the pantry is often empty. It seems to me that many Laotians move on after experience. I always wonder about no day off.....

I hope you don't force your maids or housekeepers to look at that aweful avatar of yours...... no money could compensate them for that. So ugly, I really can't understand why you let yourself go like this ! 555555555

i really can't understand why you don't understand that Thaivisa software does not let me change my avatar dry.png

Naam%20fin%2080.jpg

–I've never been able to agree with my maids about waering uniform, they seems to disagree on the outfit I prefere and showed them a variety of models to choose from; they say that I better save the money for uniforms as they prefere their own "outfit"... sad.png

RU15819LG.jpg

• Like 2

i really can't understand why you don't understand that Thaivisa software does not let me change my avatar dry.png

Naam%20fin%2080.jpg

I understand, Im just stirring you.

It must be some kind of conspiracy, did you guide George towards some bad investments? 55555

I've never been able to agree with my maids about waering uniform, they seems to disagree on the outfit I prefere and showed them a variety of models to choose from; they say that I better save the money for uniforms as they prefere their own "outfit"... sad.png

RU15819LG.jpg

MJP,

You promised me last time that you wouldnt post anymore pictures of you in dress up. Sure you look cute in the maids uniform but save it for that 'other' forum. ;)

I have gone through countless staff, most are too stupid for words, many leave at the drop of a hat with no notice, some are bone idle.....it didnt matter what they were paid.

I found a couple of Burmese eventually for 8000 baht each + free house free rice fre motorbike and fuel, free fish.

Be prepared to get absolute morons and keep dumping them before you find someone half decent.

If she is as good as you say, then I'll hire her right now starting at 8K and if she works out very well I would, in three months, raise her to 10K.

Your in-laws will immediately regret letting her get away, instead of paying her a bit more money. Actually, considering the time and hassle, they will probably lose more money than they save.

I have gone through countless staff, most are too stupid for words, many leave at the drop of a hat with no notice, some are bone idle.....it didnt matter what they were paid.

Same here. We went through 4 maids in 6 months in Ubon and BKK before giving up looking as it is just not worth the trouble and each one came with so much BS it was unbearable. The longest one only lasted a month before making unreasonable demands AFTER I offered her a pay rise. The shortest one was 4 days, of which she skipped the 2nd day of work, and spent the entire time gossiping about my partner and her family even though she had said it was "her dream" to work in our apartment complex where all of her friends are.

If you do find a good maid who actually wants to do her job and is trustworthy then pay her whatever you can because good maids seem to be hard to find here.

Why paying so little?

Op, never heard about the minimum wages?

I live north east and i know that... minimum wages are 9000 bath/month for a standard working week of 5 days.

Her working her but of for you and your family rmembers modern slavery...

I have a nephew, 15 years old, started as "door boy" in a Bangkok hotel, he gets 9k + single room, free food and free drinks and clothing. Also insurance...

If this lady is trustwordy and loyal, then the least you could do is paying her a decent salary...

Between 12 and 15 k + insurance.

Dont go for less, you ll regret it if she leaves.

Why paying so little?

I live north east and i know that... minimum wages are 9000 bath/month for a standard working week of 5 days.

I have a nephew, 15 years old, started as "door boy" in a Bangkok hotel, he gets 9k + single room, free food and free drinks and clothing. Also insurance...

If this lady is trustwordy and loyal, then the least you could do is paying her a decent salary...

Have you heard of the minimum wage here because it is not 9000baht/20days = 450 baht a day, especially not up in Isaan.

Why paying so little?

I live north east and i know that... minimum wages are 9000 bath/month for a 7standard working week of 5 days.

Have you heard of the minimum wage here because it is not 9000baht/20days = 450 baht a day, especially not up in Isaan.

Minimum wages are nation wide...

For the most correct info, ask your local amphoe...

Advice: never involve yourself paying someone less then minimum, as farang it will bite back...

Op's question was easy, the answers obviously not...

Why paying so little?

I live north east and i know that... minimum wages are 9000 bath/month for a 7standard working week of 5 days.

Minimum wages are nation wide...

For the most correct info, ask your local amphoe...

Advice: never involve yourself paying someone less then minimum, as farang it will bite back...

Op's question was easy, the answers obviously not...

Yes, the minimum national minimum wage is now 300 baht/day, even in Isaan now, but that is not 9000 baht/month for a 5 day work week. Also I don't believe that insurance is legally mandatory here either.

i'm looking at this myself at the moment. I have already spotted a good hard worker and she doesn't know we are watching her - yet. Taking everything in to account ; hard working ( can do construction work under the hot sun all day ), genuine person, trustworthy, adaptable.......I think she is worth 10K per month, plus the offer to live in with her own air-con room and free food etc. Nothing done yet, but IMO if you can find a good one then I think you should try and make it very difficult for them to want to go and work anywhere else. If they leave for " family issues / reasons " there is little you can do about that, but to allow a good person to walk out and earn another 1000 Bht per month across the road would be a pretty stupid thing to do - particularly if you are a Farang !

He still has hair.

I think the maid needs more than she is paid. maybe not as much as Naam's as his couple have earned their place over several years too. How you treat them is in most cases more important than salary as long as it meets the persons needs. In this case it may be worth talking to the maid and finding if her needs have changed. Possibly a relative needs more help and base any extra pay on this.

Naam%20fin%2080.jpg

Well you shouldnt have used your real photo. Most people looking like that just break cameras..........you have broken the software too.

• Like 1