Looking for a house to rent- thai landlords think we are stupid

jack71

1. thai doctor with a farang?

2. goes to look at houses wearing a doctor kit instead of just taking off the doctor coat? I mean, what exactly are you talking about when you say she was dressed like a doctor? how do doctors dress? last i checked they wear regular clothing and then put on a white robe that is removed before leaving the hospital????

3. first you say wife then change to say gf?

4. you and her share a huge uncontrollable laugh at the frivilous demand... seems most thais would never react this way no matter how stupid something somebody says was to them.

5. why would a thai doctor be looking to rent a home and be looking at homes that are uninspiring?

I would say that your story sounds like complete bull shit.

Either you know nothing about Thailand or you pretend you don't.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are you looking ?

As the others, I strongly suggest you don't laugh at these Thai Landlords less you want to invite a bigger problem.

Ask for a Thai contract, with English translation, full inventory signed on check-in and only pay two months deposit. If they say no, just politely smile and say you will come back to them and have more to see.

SDM

I rented from a policeman about four years ago and decided to move out after the flood - the moo ban wasn't flooded. I didn't expect to get my deposit back because I didn't stay for the duration of the contract, but he brought out his wallet after receiving the keys from me and gave me my deposit. Mind you, there wasn't a Thai with me when I rented and moved out of his house.

2. goes to look at houses wearing a doctor kit instead of just taking off the doctor coat? I mean, what exactly are you talking about when you say she was dressed like a doctor? how do doctors dress? last i checked they wear regular clothing and then put on a white robe that is removed before leaving the hospital????

4. you and her share a huge uncontrollable laugh at the frivilous demand... seems most thais would never react this way no matter how stupid something somebody says was to them.

5. why would a thai doctor be looking to rent a home and be looking at homes that are uninspiring?

What are you talking about? The farang999 guy pointed out various inconsistencies in the OP which are all valid points. Are you saying you buy what the OP is saying, hook, line, and sinker?

I don't have problems so much with Landlords, except for my first here and he was Falang and an utter pig to all. My problem is with finding a house, I have discovered that you need to pick an area and drive around looking for signs on properties ( not easy as I don't drive but it is what it is ) the Real Estate agents and the various people that do it with no office as a side line drive me nuts. You give them specific details of what you want and they show you everything but, and if you don't just pick a house from there first offerings you don't see or hear from them again. It's all interesting funny at times stressful at others, drives me mad, yes, but this is Thailand either go with the flow or just go

Yes, this is Thailand! Even in the western world you have people like this I know I use to have a Real Estate License for 25 years and did advise family and friends how to manage and select tenants. What I do know is there are lots of people who own and can own property but have no business renting them out because they only want the money each month and any problems that arises are self made most of the time.

Thailand, guys like this run for the hills... they do have contract for rental go to any big store like Big C, etc... they have them available and can easily be translated. A good owner from my experience should take the minimum required deposit like first and last allow you to put in the aircon unit as long as when you leave the holes are patch and such. He should allow you to take photos and confirmed or sign each and everyone of them so when you leave it protects both of you there is no problem with refunds.

The first cop with the cop I heard so many times these guys use their position to screw people over! walk or second thing run. If you are having problems like this you might want to look at house in a development where the owners are more educated and might be using a agent for their investment. My brother had the same kind of problems and ended up using a agent and they found him a great house to rent long term in a very save development. The fee was split with him and the owner.

Good luck,, take your time don't let your Thai wife push you.

Well... rented a house from a cop in Phuket for a year. No problem getting the deposit back. He was just a traffic cop. He had several houses ????!!!

It should be noted that whether I or you or anyone post and comment it is in general! Just as there are bad people and good there are good and bad cops whether they are traffic or not! No one including me are talking specific's!

samran, on 08 Jul 2014 - 22:04, said:
ravip, on 08 Jul 2014 - 20:29, said:

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

Edit

A stethoscope around the neck would have looked good too.

cheesy.gif

He forgot to say Thai Chinese as well.

That goes without saying.

I'm renting .. 3 bedroom on the outskirts of Bkk. 5k a month. Contract, no problem Landlady had the standard one from the land office .. it only had 1 air in the bedroom. I decided I wanted another downstairs so paid 19,500b to install an 18btu .. no problem I intend staying for at least 2 years so 812b extra per month. Pretty sure they would have charged more AND it's still mine!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Years ago a mate of mine rented a house in Koh Samui. It was a bungalow on a resort with mainly long termers and ex-pats 6,000 a month. He installed air con which he paid for in the lounge area, and lived there for 18 months. So then he goes home to UK for 6 months. On his return, he goes to the resort and is happy to see no one has rented his bungalow - it is low season after all and this resort is quiet even in high season.

He asks for the keys and the landlord says "no problem but I must tell you that your bungalow has gone up to 8,000 a month". Why, he asks, has it gone up - none of my mates here are paying more so why should I?

"Because this bungalow have air con now"

Priceless.

Off topic, but i once rented a condo in Bangkok. The condo next door sat empty for 5 months, same landlady. I noticed she put the price up from 25,000 a month to 30,000 a month and asked why the sudden increase on a condo that you are finding hard to rent out?

"Because I need to get back the money I not make in last 5 months"

Youve gotta laugh at this firm. No idea.....

• Like 2

go back to your barstool my friend

What are you talking about? The farang999 guy pointed out various inconsistencies in the OP which are all valid points. Are you saying you buy what the OP is saying, hook, line, and sinker?

are you sitting next to farang999 at the bar. bar stool critics always amuse me

• 2 weeks later...

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

Oh well, since I'm typing ... rental contracts are govt controlled - not the rents, just the contract, so it's all standardised, unless arranged through a lawyer. See your friendly Land Dept office for a copy and a free minty.

Here's a bilingual standard rental contract for those interested in PDF

Yermanee wai.gif

Thank you.just what i needed!!!!

The wife and I are looking for a house to rent. Late last week we looked at one that is owned by a policeman. We turned up and had a look around and after telling him how nice the house was he told us.... if we pay him 2 months deposit now we can move in tomorrow. Then he said that we dont have to worry about doing a contract. After having this translated to me I laughed. Its the only natural response to such a daft comment. I asked the wife to translate the fact that if we do actually decide to take the house that we would want a contract because everything must be legal etc. He then said 'Im also a lawyer'. No further comment required. Obviously we are not proceeding with that option

A few days later we had a look at another house. The landlord was dressed like an american rapper with sunglasses that he did not take off (even whilst inside the house). We told him that we liked the house. The landlord then told us that he wanted a years deposit up front. After this was translated to me I looked at the wife and we both burst into laughter. It was more of a laugh. My gf has dr in front of her name and was wearing her hospital coat in full view. Despite this, he obviously thinks we are so stupid. Why else would he even suggest something as crazy as this to us. Maybe he thinks farang are stupid

This house needs to have 2 small air con systems installed and the guy told us that he would need the deposit funds to get them installed as he has no money. He asked for 3 months deposit and I said no....2 months max and there would have to be a clause in the contract re the 2 air con systems being installed.

It was only a verbal discussion but now I think that we should ring him back to say that we will only sign a contract and pay deposit after the air con systems have been installed. Im also tempted to negotiate a reduction in the deposit to a month and a half. In month 11 we can then not pay for the 12th month and then potentially only lose 1/2 a months rent- if he turns out to be a rogue landlord

Or maybe we should keep looking around. If this guy is acting like this before we even move in what is he going to be like during the tenancy. Any opinions on this are appreciated

thanks

jack

Definitely you have the answer in your final paragraph. He has shown his hand and if he has no money now he won't have any later either most likely.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app