Looking for a house to rent- thai landlords think we are stupid

jack71

1. thai doctor with a farang?

2. goes to look at houses wearing a doctor kit instead of just taking off the doctor coat? I mean, what exactly are you talking about when you say she was dressed like a doctor? how do doctors dress? last i checked they wear regular clothing and then put on a white robe that is removed before leaving the hospital????

3. first you say wife then change to say gf?

4. you and her share a huge uncontrollable laugh at the frivilous demand... seems most thais would never react this way no matter how stupid something somebody says was to them.

5. why would a thai doctor be looking to rent a home and be looking at homes that are uninspiring?

I would say that your story sounds like complete bull shit.

Laboratory coats should never be worn outside the lab or hospital. They're used to keep infections localised and or blood and gore off your clothes.

Any other use is just status and showing off.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem getting my deposit back usually 2 months deposit and pay first month. Cash is King It seems I always get a better deal by being polite and relaxed. I personally don't laugh or show any disrespect but that's just me.

I've walked into an agent's/landlord's trap in Chiang Mai. A reputable agent, and so I paid my 2 month bond with the understanding that the leaking roof would be repaired and the ceiling holes and fungal patches of blue, black and green would be painted over before the start of contract. This is of course, AFTER the ceiling had been re-fixed as the damp spots have caused the ceiling to soften and pull through the nails, leaving holes. A new hole has appeared after the past two days of rain.

The LPG bench top stove in the kitchen had no control knobs, and a screw driver had to be used.

I supplied my own LPG stove, but anyway, have decided to get out before the ceiling does a dive. Return of bond money. No way! The owner and agent say it's my bad choice. Not worth the hassle of getting legal help, fees etc, and looks like I've done my dough!

I'll be away for a few weeks, and have advised the agents that NO WAY are repairs or painters to enter the house in my absence. I've seen the aftermath of "Master Painters" before.

Anyone want to buy some new cupboards?

We have a nice 2 bedroomed bungalow for rent,English/Thai owners, fully equipped with 3 a/c's, out of town, if you are interested message me and i will send full details. No nonsense, No Rip off.

1. thai doctor with a farang?

2. goes to look at houses wearing a doctor kit instead of just taking off the doctor coat? I mean, what exactly are you talking about when you say she was dressed like a doctor? how do doctors dress? last i checked they wear regular clothing and then put on a white robe that is removed before leaving the hospital????

3. first you say wife then change to say gf?

4. you and her share a huge uncontrollable laugh at the frivilous demand... seems most thais would never react this way no matter how stupid something somebody says was to them.

5. why would a thai doctor be looking to rent a home and be looking at homes that are uninspiring?

I would say that your story sounds like complete bull shit.

She wore a green gown, plastic hair covering cap and a surgical mask, don't you know anything about how doctors dress. She drives a BMW with golf clubs in the boot.

• Like 2

video everything inside the house as regards any damage or no damage as its hard to get deposits back as they will claim you caused the damage done by previous renters.

basically you can kiss any deposits goodbye as its like getting blood from a stone to get it returned .

contact with legal witnesses is essential

Make sure the land lord appears in the video.

If he`s not willing,then no deal.

Is your wife/Gf Thai? Have you not been in Thailand long? Everyone knows the price is never the price in Thailand. Negotiating is always expected.

You being an Ex-pat and her as Dr. they are going to start high expecting you to negotiate. Standard procedure.

It is a buyers market. My wife's sister just rented her house for 1500B a month which before she was getting 2000B a month no problem.

Really I think she can get more as it's a 2 bedroom with 3 aircons, big yard and satellite TV completely furnished. She has only rented to Thai's

so I guess that is why so low and that it's in Surin.

Its important to understand the culture when dealing with these matters:

OP make a suggestion that you are willing to pay three times the market rate, but add you are looking at two other properties

Leave the price to soak in (and to have been discussed with all the landlord's friends and family) then call the landlord to say you have rented one of the other places, adding you agreed on a rental about 10% less than the sky high price you told the landlord you were willing to pay.

The landlord will then be convinced he can get the same price for his place and will never agree to a lower price.

His rental investment could sit empty for years before common sense gets the better of face.

• Like 1

Why be rude ? you are not in the West and laughing in peoples faces is not , I suggest, a good way to conduct yourself in any society.

If you dont like the terms, simply say so, and leave , or negotiate and behave like an adult.

Just a thought.

You can't be serious. You must live in a church.

Only pay 1 month deposit...and expect a challenge when trying to get it back...this is Thailand...

I agree. I have rented a few places and most of the time it is a hassle to get the deposit back.

The only time I lost my deposit is when I rented a place for 45,000B a month from an ex-pat.

All the Thai renters re-turned my deposit some with a prompting.

We have a couple of town houses on the outskirts of Bankgok that we rent. They are both 2 stories and 3 bedrooms and are about 15 years old. The smaller we rent for 4k baht a month with 1 month's deposit and the rent paid in advance. The larger we rent for 5k baht a month with the same conditions. No contract, and it is assumed that the renter will use the deposit as the last months rent. Both have air con in some rooms and the bigger one has satellite. This is just to give you an idea of what the Thai rental market is like in our area (Samut Prakhan).

If I ever would consider renting my property - which is sitting on 5 Rai of land with nice garden and 600 sq. meter of buildings - I would be looking at least one years deposit. I have 8 air-cons and substantial amount of furniture around including pool table etc.

Why would I rent to anyone who could not guarantee my assets to be in place and in good condition when he would leave? If there would be someone smashing everything and selling some easily cashed items and disappear, where would I go for help?

It's okay when you rent some typical Farang house with sub-standard furniture but anything upscale is probably not available on same terms. And what comes to rental agreements, they are valid only for two years without validating them at the land office. Normally less then two years is preferred since then there is not necessarily need to pay rental income tax... These signed agreements - if the signature is actually from the owner - are as binding as they would be in another country.

I have had Thai people negotiate the rent on all but one property I have rented due to language problems.

Never paid more than one months rent in advance.

Cheapest was 3,000 a month for a 3 bed house and the most expensive was in Pattaya at 9,000 a month for 3 storeys. Cha-Am was 5,000 for 2 beds.

There have been many others I have turned down because of overpricing. It is a case of being patient.

Last trip I searched high and low for a condo. many were small boxes and 5,000+ a month. Eventually I found a 50sq mtr one for 5,000 a month in Pattaya.

Search long and hard and you will find.

edit typo on 5,000

Still a BOX 50SQ

50 sq mtr may be a box but with 2 balconies and plenty of light and more than enough room to swing a cat or two, it was definitely a good price at 5k p.m.

Considering the asking price of many 30 sq mtr boxes in Pattaya I'd definitely rent with this landlady again.

• Like 1

Yes, this is Thailand! Even in the western world you have people like this I know I use to have a Real Estate License for 25 years and did advise family and friends how to manage and select tenants. What I do know is there are lots of people who own and can own property but have no business renting them out because they only want the money each month and any problems that arises are self made most of the time.

Thailand, guys like this run for the hills... they do have contract for rental go to any big store like Big C, etc... they have them available and can easily be translated. A good owner from my experience should take the minimum required deposit like first and last allow you to put in the aircon unit as long as when you leave the holes are patch and such. He should allow you to take photos and confirmed or sign each and everyone of them so when you leave it protects both of you there is no problem with refunds.

The first cop with the cop I heard so many times these guys use their position to screw people over! walk or second thing run. If you are having problems like this you might want to look at house in a development where the owners are more educated and might be using a agent for their investment. My brother had the same kind of problems and ended up using a agent and they found him a great house to rent long term in a very save development. The fee was split with him and the owner.

Good luck,, take your time don't let your Thai wife push you.

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

Oh well, since I'm typing ... rental contracts are govt controlled - not the rents, just the contract, so it's all standardised, unless arranged through a lawyer. See your friendly Land Dept office for a copy and a free minty.

to be envious is to be the lesser man

Are you not the same man who wanted to help to kill a dog, but after learning its best to spend little money to help all your interest is gone?

Same man complaining about the prices of second hand cars?

I would have thought having a wife who is a doctor would not force you to buy used and complain about the prices.

Why be rude ? you are not in the West and laughing in peoples faces is not , I suggest, a good way to conduct yourself in any society.

If you dont like the terms, simply say so, and leave , or negotiate and behave like an adult.

Just a thought.

Excellent advice. I prefer to keep emotions out of business deals. The hand played best is the one kept in confidence.

Wife then gf, the dr, the wearing of a hospital coat. Dearie me. Your alter ego fitfarang will enjoy this thread.

It's true. Last time I tired to rent a house donning scrubs everyone thought I looked stupid.

scrubs%20pic.jpg

Edited by Morakot

Aren't you glad you posted you problem On Thai-Visa.............

...............................Jack71, I was going to print that after every person posted a query a problem or asked for help about a problem they were having in Thailand, ,.... but the mods would probably stop me----so I'll just become one of the mob----- you Idiot---you troll ...what are you doing posting this stuff to us sophisticated guys who know everything about Thailand ,........but don't want to disclose......................coffee1.gif

Live in Mukdahan and reduce your expectations. You can rent a two bedroom home in Mukdahan with a kitchen and a large living area for 2000 Baht/month. It also has a medium sized outdoor garden patio ( tiled) big enough for a table and a few chairs and some storage.

Yes, this is Thailand! Even in the western world you have people like this I know I use to have a Real Estate License for 25 years and did advise family and friends how to manage and select tenants. What I do know is there are lots of people who own and can own property but have no business renting them out because they only want the money each month and any problems that arises are self made most of the time.

Thailand, guys like this run for the hills... they do have contract for rental go to any big store like Big C, etc... they have them available and can easily be translated. A good owner from my experience should take the minimum required deposit like first and last allow you to put in the aircon unit as long as when you leave the holes are patch and such. He should allow you to take photos and confirmed or sign each and everyone of them so when you leave it protects both of you there is no problem with refunds.

The first cop with the cop I heard so many times these guys use their position to screw people over! walk or second thing run. If you are having problems like this you might want to look at house in a development where the owners are more educated and might be using a agent for their investment. My brother had the same kind of problems and ended up using a agent and they found him a great house to rent long term in a very save development. The fee was split with him and the owner.

Good luck,, take your time don't let your Thai wife push you.

Well... rented a house from a cop in Phuket for a year. No problem getting the deposit back. He was just a traffic cop. He had several houses ????!!!

• Like 1

Oh well, since I'm typing ... rental contracts are govt controlled - not the rents, just the contract, so it's all standardised, unless arranged through a lawyer. See your friendly Land Dept office for a copy and a free minty.

to be envious is to be the lesser man

what the hell is wrong with you people ?????? I bet when. You go the doctors you go cap in hand tugging a forelock, it's just a job, what counts is if she is a decent person, really pathetic the bunch of you.

I don't know whether the OPs wife/GF is a doctor or not, but I know this much...Having spent a lot of time in a hospital here earlier this year, there are plenty of doctors looking for a decent farang guy. Not a bar stool drunk who frequents red light areas, but a guy with a decent education and job. I spoke to three single doctors, all of whom were open to dating.

Similarly, there were loads of stunning single nurses.

Women in the medical profession work round the clock shifts. After a lengthy spell in education and years of training, many are 30+ before fully qualified. They don't have time to get out to bars and clubs to meet guys, or to be out meeting friends of friends. Many doctors are educated in the US or Europe, and therefore aren't into the Thai guy type relationship.

I always find it strange that certain foreigners don't believe other foreigners can date or marry Thai women other than hookers or country bumpkin gold diggers.

Are you married to a doctor?

I rented a modern, 9 room, 4 br 3 bath house with AC up and down for 6 months from a retired couple, both doctors, very nice people. I paid 6 months rent in advance plus one month deposit. It wasn't 3k pm though. I looked here and a small 4 room place, in not a good location, no parking, no yard, no AC was 5k. A studio with bath/toilet costs 7k pm here.

Seems like we lost the OP. Maybe his wife and gf bumped into each other ?

• Like 1

I don't know whether the OPs wife/GF is a doctor or not, but I know this much...Having spent a lot of time in a hospital here earlier this year, there are plenty of doctors looking for a decent farang guy. Not a bar stool drunk who frequents red light areas, but a guy with a decent education and job. I spoke to three single doctors, all of whom were open to dating.

Similarly, there were loads of stunning single nurses.

Women in the medical profession work round the clock shifts. After a lengthy spell in education and years of training, many are 30+ before fully qualified. They don't have time to get out to bars and clubs to meet guys, or to be out meeting friends of friends. Many doctors are educated in the US or Europe, and therefore aren't into the Thai guy type relationship.

I always find it strange that certain foreigners don't believe other foreigners can date or marry Thai women other than hookers or country bumpkin gold diggers.

Are you married to a doctor?

No. My wife graduated with a teaching degree.

I'm renting .. 3 bedroom on the outskirts of Bkk. 5k a month. Contract, no problem Landlady had the standard one from the land office .. it only had 1 air in the bedroom. I decided I wanted another downstairs so paid 19,500b to install an 18btu .. no problem I intend staying for at least 2 years so 812b extra per month. Pretty sure they would have charged more AND it's still mine!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have the same only 4500 gf signed the contract lol.

You just need to move out of the city there are lots of houses that you can rent north of BKK

video everything inside the house as regards any damage or no damage as its hard to get deposits back as they will claim you caused the damage done by previous renters.

basically you can kiss any deposits goodbye as its like getting blood from a stone to get it returned .

contact with legal witnesses is essential

Make sure the land lord appears in the video.

If he`s not willing,then no deal.

and he should be holding a sign saying who he is with everyone pointing at him .

if he wont its gotta be suspicious ,right ?