Not Sure What You Call It ..

Mumbo Jumbo

I want to have made what I think is called a Sala..? its like a wooden seating area with a roof , that I can have put in my back garden, Ive found some one who makes a type of sala, but I want to show him a photo of the type I want ...

does any forum member know a web site that I can download a sala photo from ...?

Thanks ................

I want to have made what I think is called a Sala..? its like a wooden seating area with a roof , that I can have put in my back garden, Ive found some one who makes a type of sala, but I want to show him a photo of the type I want ...

does any forum member know a web site that I can download a sala photo from ...?

Thanks ................

Hi MJ

Yes it is a sala attach a picture of one I have had built although it is fairly permanent, locals seem to be able to knock up quite good ones from bamboo & straw for next to nothing!

post-24662-1151417931_thumb.jpg

Sorry pic of sala not complete but was actually taking photo of palm tree. :o

TBWG :D

:o My Sala. "Pre-built" and delivered from Chaiyaphum to my house. Cost, about 20,000 Baht, 2+ years ago. :D I added a circulating fan inside on the "ceiling". Nice and cozy to enjoy a beer and watch the world go by. :D

post-171-1151456630_thumb.jpg

post-171-1151456891_thumb.jpg

:o My Sala. "Pre-built" and delivered from Chaiyaphum to my house. Cost, about 20,000 Baht, 2+ years ago. :D I added a circulating fan inside on the "ceiling". Nice and cozy to enjoy a beer and watch the world go by. :D

post-171-1151456630_thumb.jpg

post-171-1151456891_thumb.jpg

hmm. never really been a fan of the traditional "chiang mai cowboy" aesthetic

hmm. never really been a fan of the traditional "chiang mai cowboy" aesthetic

Gee, a "traditional 'chiang mai cowboy'" sala from Chaiyaphun. Hadn't thought of it that way. My wife picked it out and bought it for me while I was out of the country, but must admit I thought it looked "nice" when I saw it. Well, there is some saying about "beauty being in the eye of the beholder". :D Oh well.

Here is mine, built on site by a local chap. It floats on oil drums. Even though surrounded by water, mosquitos are rarely a problem...

The garden was still very bare when this was taken, I have some more plants now.

post-21307-1151637983_thumb.jpg

I think that's how Captain Kid got started.

Funny word, sala - that's the Spanish word for living room, front room, or parlor, inside the home, although it might apply outdoors, as well. Gazebo is what we'd call them in the USA, especially if they have six or eight sides and balustrades. I wonder if "sala" is what you'd call the outdoor kitchen and dining area I now have in my rental unit in Chiang Mai. It's a huge, open area, with a long counter, three big dining tables, 5 or 6 chairs, etc., with a roof with long overhanging eaves. Hmm, Chiang Mai cowboy: :o

Here is mine, built on site by a local chap. It floats on oil drums. Even though surrounded by water, mosquitos are rarely a problem...

The garden was still very bare when this was taken, I have some more plants now.

Nice one, Mike. :o

Have you been flooded yet? You seem to be very close to the river.

what is the mosquito prevention arrangement when reclining in the sala in the early evening?

I usually recline behind insect screens in less esoteric circumstances...

Hope not wandering to far off topic, but what are these Electric zapper mossie killers like ( not the bats) but the fixed mains ones, are they effective?

TBWG :o

Nice one, Mike. :o

Have you been flooded yet? You seem to be very close to the river.

No flooding, that is actually a pond in my garden; there is a big river nearby (the Mae Nam Mun) but so much low-lying paddy around that I think a flood is almost impossible.

On the gazebo / sala distinction, I always think of a gazebo as a small, probably octagonal, seating area, whereas a sala is larger, with floor space, and open sided. As a reference, the big open-sided communal area at a wat is called the "sala".