Thai person holding dual citizenship - Thai/USA

In my daily workouts at the park, I met a Thai woman who was recently widowed. Before her husband died, she had been living in the US for several decades and had become a naturalized citizen. She has a valid Thai and US passport. Before her husband passed away, she would visit Thailand on her US passport and get a visa on arrival as would any other tourist. However, after her husband passed away, she returned to Thailand and used her Thai passport. She intends to return to the US next year and asked me about which passport to use.

Based on information that I received from the US Embassy, they advised that she leave Thailand using her Thai passport and enter the US using her US passport. Upon returning, I assume she reverses this process and leaves on her US passport and then uses her Thai passport when arriving back in Thailand.

Is there anyone who has personal experience on this issue and can provide sound advice on what exactly this woman should do to avoid any problems with US or Thai immigration?

Thanks for the help!

Based on information that I received from the US Embassy, they advised that she leave Thailand using her Thai passport and enter the US using her US passport. Upon returning, I assume she reverses this process and leaves on her US passport and then uses her Thai passport when arriving back in Thailand.

My wife is a dual Thai/U.S. citizen and the above is exactly what my wife does when she travels back and forth to Thailand from the U.S. She never has any issues.

Why would any Thai enter Thailand on a foreign passport? If she has both, she should only ever visit Thailand on her Thai passport and then obviously re-enter the US on her US passport. Simple. I am a dual citizen too (although not Thai) and it's not hard to figure out.

Why would any Thai enter Thailand on a foreign passport? If she has both, she should only ever visit Thailand on her Thai passport and then obviously re-enter the US on her US passport. Simple. I am a dual citizen too (although not Thai) and it's not hard to figure out.

Lighten up, Dude. The OP is only asking a question. The correct procedure can be confusing for someone who has not done it previously.

POOKIKI: The information you have received is correct. Occasionally, she may be asked to show both passports at Immigration or airline counter, but it's no problem.

• Like 1

Lighten up, Dude. The OP is only asking a question. The correct procedure can be confusing for someone who has not done it previously.

POOKIKI: The information you have received is correct. Occasionally, she may be asked to show both passports at Immigration or airline counter, but it's no problem.

Thanks to all for the help and assistance!! I will pass the information on to my friend.

Dual or to be more accurate Multiple citizenship as it is possible to hold more than 2 citizenships.

Most countries which permit dual citizenship still may not recognise the other citizenship of its nationals within its own territory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_citizenship

It may even be illegal to enter certain countries using the passport of another country when the user holds nationality for the country they are entering.

Also countries will probably not provide consular services to it's citizens within the territory of another country for which it's citizen holds another citizenship.

Best advice is always enter and leave any country you are a nationalized citizen using the passport of that country.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it:-

If a Thai who holds dual nationality enters Thailand on their other passport then they will be treated as a national of that country and subject to all the immigration requirements applicable; such as overstay fines etc.

US citizens who hold dual nationality must use their US passport to enter the US.

Dual or to be more accurate Multiple citizenship as it is possible to hold more than 2 citizenships.

Most countries which permit dual citizenship still may not recognise the other citizenship of its nationals within its own territory

It may even be illegal to enter certain countries using the passport of another country when the user holds nationality for the country they are entering.

Also countries will probably not provide consular services to it's citizens within the territory of another country for which it's citizen holds another citizenship.

Best advice is always enter and leave any country you are a nationalized citizen using the passport of that country.

None of this applies to dual citizens of Thailand and USA.

None of this applies to dual citizens of Thailand and USA.

A Thai citizen who also holds another nationality may enter Thailand on their foreign passport, but they will be subject to Thai immigration rules.

The US on the other hand, requires US citizens to only enter the US on their US passports, as the US government will not/can not issue visas to its own citizens (because in theory visa's place restrictions and conditions of entry on the visa holder - hard to do this as it will take away rights of a US citizen who has unconidtional entry rights to the US).

If I have Dual Nationality which passport should I use to enter the US?

Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2 of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter and leave that country using its passport, but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a requirement.

http://newzealand.usembassy.gov/passport_faq2.html

• Like 1