Why do young people with better opportunities relocate to Thailand?

pussy

None of the younger expats I know moved here for that reason. Most of them rather look down on the older crowd that did. Times have changed - although most here seem not to have noticed.

it goes without saying that the younger ones came for the temples, Thai culture, Som Tam and Prikh Nam Pla whistling.gif

Yeah yeah. And you pay for it either way.

This sort of tired old crap is a big part of why the old guard are a bit of a laughing stock.

Most of the 20/30 year old crowd are here for the weed and the "free" girls on whatever dot com.

A high proportion of the 20/30 expat I know here are girls themselves. I don't think they came here for the 'pussy', free or otherwise.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Maybe you don't know so much about girls then - and do understand that my comment extends beyond the physical anatomy between girls legs!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What comment?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but how does stating that a number of mostly married straight women didn't come here for the girls imply that i don't know much about the fairer sex?

Edited by SoiBiker

I have ideal reply for this.

As a young guy (23) I moved to Thailand.

For young educated people the opportunities are endless.

Many older people especially whose who don't live in the uk/eu have not realised the jobs market for graduates has completely failed to epic proportions.

I was offered a job paying three times as much as back in the UK.

For young people unemployment is like 25% or something and graduates who do have jobs are in menial work.

I can't begin to explain how dire the situation is most of my friends after graduation (guys with masters degrees) earn less the a £1000 a month doing whatever they can. It's a complete waste of potential.

They will new be able to afford a house or a nice car.

If your educated in Thailand then it's like the job market in the Uk was 50 years ago (or so I have heard) because of the growth In Asia this will play out massively over the next few decades.

Sadly expect to see an influx of graduates coming to Asia.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think its actually the exact opposite. Much harder to find decent jobs in Thailand because of the 51% has to be thai rule, complicated paperwork and the language. And if you happen to score a job then you'd have to accept a low salary. Even an engineer in Thailand only earns 25k per month.

The prospects are worse anywhere but they are a lot better in the west then in asia.

is that a thai engineer your talking about earning 25k a month,

because if your talking about falang, someone has been feeding you porkies,,,

ive just jacked a job between rayong and pattaya at VPE and it was 350 a day british pounds

jake

Couldn't agree more.

I earned plenty of money working in a career people compete to get into. But there's more to life than money and careers, and those who never realise this are the poorest of all.

Personally, I don't work in Thailand. The younger expats I know that do are mostly teachers. They earn a similar salary to that which they did back home, enjoy a much higher standard of living, happier working conditions, and get to live in an awesome country. Nobody seems to see this as a bad option.

I have meet hundreds of teachers in my years here. And I have never meet one that have the same salary here as he/she would have in my home country
Depends what type of teacher you meet. My old house mate from University is on an excellent salary which is as good, if not better than what he'd get in the UK. He does however teach at one of the top international schools. A few other mates at some of the big international schools, and they get very decent salaries.

Not everyone is a TEFL teacher

And you belive most of the expat teachers work at top international schools with excellent salaries?

Personally, I don't work in Thailand. The younger expats I know that do are mostly teachers. They earn a similar salary to that which they did back home, enjoy a much higher standard of living, happier working conditions, and get to live in an awesome country. Nobody seems to see this as a bad option.

I have meet hundreds of teachers in my years here. And I have never meet one that have the same salary here as he/she would have in my home country
Depends what type of teacher you meet. My old house mate from University is on an excellent salary which is as good, if not better than what he'd get in the UK. He does however teach at one of the top international schools. A few other mates at some of the big international schools, and they get very decent salaries.

And you belive most of the expat teachers work at top international schools with excellent salaries?

Its funny what people think is normal here.

I didn't say that did I?

It appears you have some problems with comprehension.

It's funny how people can read something, and then make up their own version. I'm surprised that some people have the ability to turn on their computers. whistling.gif

I know quite a lot of teachers in the UK.

Starting wage for probationary year 18k, quickly rising to 25k, HOD, or any extra responsibility adds more.

So let me see, standard UK teacher on 25k for a 8:30-4:00 day, with 12 weeks holiday = 110,000+Bht/pcm, good pension too.

That's in a bog standard UK government school by the way.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

ive just jacked a job between rayong and pattaya at VPE and it was 350 a day british pounds

jake

That salary is in no way representative of an average engineer's salary in Thailand whether foreign or Thai. Apparently it was just an opportunity for you to brag on this forum.

A good Thai friend of mine is an engineer at PTT and he is making at least 10x the figure that was mentioned before.

Another one -with the same background- is working for CAT and he is making even more.

Both are in their late forties and have been worked for the same compagnies since they left university.

jake

That salary is in no way representative of an average engineer's salary in Thailand whether foreign or Thai. Apparently it was just an opportunity for you to brag on this forum.

in all my years being a member on here ive never braged about anything,

ill tell you why i left for the reasons many on here are talking about, quality of life, that job was working 6 days a week, i traveld back to sakoew saturday afternoon and back monday morning,

no life when ive got a young family, so im going to work abroad on an even rotation 35/35 so that will give me lots of time at home,

jake

Never known Jake brag about anything!

The guy is honest almost to fault and will often tell it how it is and as he see's it, good or bad, but brag ?

No way !

One of the few members here I enjoy reading because of his open honesty.

Edited by MichaelJackson
  • Like 2

jake

You sound pretty bitter or naive.

You'd be surprised what qualified engineers earn. Jake is one of the good guys here, so you are picking in the wrong guy

• Like 2

I didn't say that did I?

It appears you have some problems with comprehension.

I didn't say everyone is a TEFL teacher! Did I?

Most of the ones I know do.

It's amazing how some people think only their experience of a place is valid.

More than 99% of the schools here are not top international schools ;)

Well spotted.

Your point?

What point are you trying to make, without looking more and more foolish?

Because life isn't all about money.

True -- but a least in the short term, there are a lot of worried people today on the Visa/extension Forum having their worries about being able to stay in Thailand in part because of the lack of it.

• Like 1

True -- but a least in the short term, there are a lot of worried people today on the Visa/extension Forum having their worries about being able to stay in Thailand in part because of the lack of it.

And that's relevant to this thread because?

That it's just ridicilous to claim that most of the expats you know are teachers. And all have the same or better salaries than the teachers in their home countries Edited by larsjohnsson

That it's just ridicilous to claim that most of the expats you know are teachers. And all have the same or better salaries than the teachers in their home countries
Most of the expats I know are not teachers, I never said that. The teachers that I do know work at international schools and are paid proper teacher salaries.

You really can't educate pork.

Edited by mrtoad
  • Like 1

Because while your deep-thought platitudes are nice, that's what's happenin' here in Thailand today.

That it's just ridicilous to claim that most of the expats you know are teachers. And all have the same or better salaries than the teachers in their home countries

But most of the expats I know are teachers. Why is that so ridiculous? And yes, they work at international schools, where they receive decent salaries.

Because while your deep-thought platitudes are nice, that's what's happenin' here in Thailand today.

That's nice. Isn't there a thread about it you could be discussing it on, though?