Beware, 48-hour alcohol-buying ban in Thailand starts tonight

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely the extra day the Junta made as holiday to boost the economy is not going to boost the tourism. More days to sit home and watch Tv and make babies ( or at least practice making them). But a boost? Surely not. If anything they are stopping people from their biggest spending partying at night with their closures and bans for the extended holiday they made.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am not a Buddhist. Does this rule affect me too?

I get the feeling that you imagine you have made a point about something. Negative. Drink until you pee in your shoes if you got it but the law says no alcohol purchase. Sort of like liquor stores closed in many places on Sundays back in the States. Edited by techboy
  • Like 1

I am not sure it is correct to write 'Beware'.

Surely it should be 'be aware'?

Unless some rather feckless people are worried about not getting pissed as a fart ...

american english = beware

It may be English as used by some Americans, but that doesn't elevate it to the status of American English.

"Beware" implies a caution because of danger and, unless used sarcastically which is probable in this instance considering the vital dependence some TV members seem to have on daily alcohol intake , it would not be used correctly as done in this thread heading.

The Oxford dictionary

[NO OBJECT, IN IMPERATIVE OR INFINITIVE]

Be cautious and alert to the dangers of:
consumers were warned to beware of faulty packaging
Beware! Dangerous submerged rocks ahead
[WITH OBJECT]: we should beware the incompetence of legislators

And in the Advanced American Dictionary.

(used only in infinitives and in orders)if you tell someone to beware,

you are warning them that someone or something is dangerous and that they should be careful

beware of someone/something

Drivers have been warned to beware of icy roads

.beware (of) doing something

Beware of saying anything that might reveal where you live.

beware someone/somethingIt's a great place for swimming, but beware dangerous currents.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

It's all very well for smug expats saying it's only 48 hours, but when you are only visiting Bkk for a long weekend, as I am, it IS a big deal.

Yes, it does stink for your situation. But now that you have the knowledge you can plan appropriately.

I still remember 30 years ago when our weekends were planned around no liquor sales after midnight, and none before noon on Sunday. Still ended up with giant hangovers.

12.01 So it starts tomorrow not tonight.wink.png

Shouldn't that be 0001 midnite, about.

1201 is lunchtime, rite?

That would be right on the 24 hour clock. But the article uses a 12 hour clock.

The story contains this information. "12:01am on Friday"

Thus 12.01 am is one minute past twelve midnight. Thais and many other people seem to mix up the two time usages,.

As in "Open 0700am to 2100pm. " it's either 7am or 0700hrs and 9pm or 2100hrs

Right?

Sadly yes, like all religions based on mumbo jumbo the innocent have to be dragged down with the medieval worshippers.

Can you still buy sex on Fri- Sat?

I'm fairly sure that is against the law 24/7 year round.

"Can you still buy sex on Fri- Sat?"

If the lady (or whoever) wasn't able to get blind drunk before hand, probably not. You might try dim lighting and/or offer her very dark glasses.

Just picked up an extra case at the local shop and was told to come back 'anytime' if i would like more. Bans are for mugs.

:-)

Timed that well didn't I. 2day trip to pattaya :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by longstebe
  • Like 1

What I remember from previous such holiday threads posted over the years

1, That's the final nail in the coffin for tourism in Thailand

2, I'm a tourist it must be illegal to stop me buying a drink

3, I'll sue my travel company when i get home

4, What am i supposed to do if I cannot go to a bar to drink

5, I'm not a Buddhist (already covered)

6, It infringes on my human rights.

7, Thailand and all Thais are rubbish.

Any more, my memory is failing with age.

Of course, as said, some bars will be open as will some mom&pop shops else plan ahead.

It's all about corruption many bigger hotels and restaurants pay officials a amount every year so they can sell alcohol with out competition from the bars at this holidays same like all the taxis stands beach vendors and so on so as long as the offisials can get new stuff they want extra money .

But if is fair to the tourist is another matter after saving for a holiday and then be trapt in a sceem like this is so so but the ones who gain on this don't care

It's all for the rich same like with the junta all for the rich if it gonna change I don't think so

I am not sure it is correct to write 'Beware'.

Surely it should be 'be aware'?

Unless some rather feckless people are worried about not getting pissed as a fart ...

american english = beware

Beware.....

you don't get caught buying on the weekend

of a large % of TV members stampeding to the shop

of a sudden increase a few hours before the deadline

of possible withdrawals consequent to not consuming said beverages for any length of time

smile.png

What I remember from previous such holiday threads posted over the years

1, That's the final nail in the coffin for tourism in Thailand

2, I'm a tourist it must be illegal to stop me buying a drink

3, I'll sue my travel company when i get home

4, What am i supposed to do if I cannot go to a bar to drink

5, I'm not a Buddhist (already covered)

6, It infringes on my human rights.

7, Thailand and all Thais are rubbish.

Any more, my memory is failing with age.

Of course, as said, some bars will be open as will some mom&pop shops else plan ahead.

It's all about corruption many bigger hotels and restaurants pay officials a amount every year so they can sell alcohol with out competition from the bars at this holidays same like all the taxis stands beach vendors and so on so as long as the offisials can get new stuff they want extra money .

But if is fair to the tourist is another matter after saving for a holiday and then be trapt in a sceem like this is so so but the ones who gain on this don't care

It's all for the rich same like with the junta all for the rich if it gonna change I don't think so

Settle down Martin were just talking about havin a few coldies on a holiday. Go grab some and chill.

• Like 2

Sadly yes, like all religions based on mumbo jumbo the innocent have to be dragged down with the medieval worshippers.

Strange comment, given that for the most part Thailand is fairly permissive with some things like sex and alcohol. Try life in Saudi Arabia. Obviously you kannot accept other people's choices.

Since Thailand is predominantly (95%) Buddhist, perhaps we can accept that if they ban alcohol sales during a religious holiday, if one wants to imbibe, prior planning is always the best choice. Shop early.

• Like 1