Beware, 48-hour alcohol-buying ban in Thailand starts tonight

webfact

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poohy, on 10 Jul 2014 - 12:03, said:
Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

............."you dont like the Buddhist holidays, then dont come to Thailand."

A very predictable Thaivisa remark I seebah.gif

However having lived and worked here for 14 years mostly in the inbound tourist business hence knowing dry weekends/ days are inconvenient ! for the punters who probably don't have the local knowledge of how to get around these inconveniences

Personally now not in this game and live way south of BKK and "whatever day it is" beer is available should I want it

Cheersbiggrin.png

I am not a Buddhist. Does this rule affect me too?

Yes, It's pathetic. It's religious discrimination.

Excuse me but you are in Rome...........So unless you want crucified and a big jaggy bonnet stuck on your head.... stay sober laugh.png

One that gets me is why they have this stupid law between 2pm and 5pm which is about as much use as ahole in the head.

Let's not be unfair to the Thais they are very tolerant of other religions and a couple of days of the booze won't harm anyone.

If the consumption of alcohol was banned I could understand, but to ban the purchase when most stock up beforehand seems to defeat the object.

Can somebody help me out here, and explain the logic ?

Logic ??????

Yup tag all the main holidays in your calendar because if you want a drink its a good idea to go stock up before they start or get an invite to a party that has.

Can't you go for a day without alcohol? Try exercise!

Yup tag all the main holidays in your calendar because if you want a drink its a good idea to go stock up before they start or get an invite to a party that has.

Can't you go for a day without alcohol? Try exercise!

I can certainly go more than a day without exercise...

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder, just called the local shop and got them to drop round 10 slabs of their finest ale.

This is a 2 x day holiday remember - I should ring them again if I was you - unless you are planning a quiet Friday ?

Thanks for the reminder, just called the local shop and got them to drop round 10 slabs of their finest ale.

This is a 2 x day holiday remember - I should ring them again if I was you - unless you are planning a quiet Friday ?

All good mate, got 4 bottles of Jack Daniels as well.

Yes/No it is abuse of Buddhism....because as long as I know Buddha never told to punish these who don't follow....(and there is punishment for the shops that sell).

So it should say: "The sale of alcohol will be banned on Friday and Saturday as show of our power to influence your life and we use two important Buddhist holidays as excuse to do so."

Buddhism is a very free religion and not every member must follow everything....Everyone can find his own way (different to Roman Catholic for example. There the Pope is Gods secretary on the earth). And of course it discriminate the Christs, Atheists, Muslims (yes there are many who drink alcohol), etc etc.....

If the consumption of alcohol was banned I could understand, but to ban the purchase when most stock up beforehand seems to defeat the object.

Logic ??????

Logic...yes...you teach the people to plan ahead. Europe had the winters to teach the people for millennia to plan ahead. Thailand has the stupid bans...

• Like 1

All good mate, got 4 bottles of Jack Daniels as well.

Is that just for the drive home tomorrow ? Traffic can be murder on a Friday, especially if it's a holiday !

Yes/No it is abuse of Buddhism....because as long as I know Buddha never told to punish these who don't follow....(and there is punishment for the shops that sell).

So it should say: "The sale of alcohol will be banned on Friday and Saturday as show of our power to influence your life and we use two important Buddhist holidays as excuse to do so."

Buddhism is a very free religion and not every member must follow everything....Everyone can find his own way (different to Roman Catholic for example. There the Pope is Gods secretary on the earth). And of course it discriminate the Christs, Atheists, Muslims (yes there are many who drink alcohol), etc etc.....

At least we know the Good Lord, aka Jesus Christ, enjoyed a drink and a party.

He changed water into wine at Cana and I'm sure there was some good tipple at the last supper.

What he objected to was the money changers at the temples, something which in a similar fashion, the Thais don't object to. Selling all kinds of things on temple grounds including catch and release animals and birds.

• Like 1

Can you still buy sex on Fri- Sat?

I'm fairly sure that is against the law 24/7 year round.

I don't buy sex but from what you're saying Bluespunk I guess the answer is yes.

I prefer to buy it... It means less interaction with my wife.

Logic ??????

Logic...yes...you teach the people to plan ahead. Europe had the winters to teach the people for millennia to plan ahead. Thailand has the stupid bans...

It is quite comical when you think about it! Have you ever seen the panic in UK when the weather forecaster tips that snow is coming ? The local P store and supermarkets sell more bread and milk in a couple of hours then they do all week! Incredible behavior !

What I remember from previous such holiday threads posted over the years

1, That's the final nail in the coffin for tourism in Thailand

2, I'm a tourist it must be illegal to stop me buying a drink

3, I'll sue my travel company when i get home

4, What am i supposed to do if I cannot go to a bar to drink

5, I'm not a Buddhist (already covered)

6, It infringes on my human rights.

7, Thailand and all Thais are rubbish.

Any more, my memory is failing with age.

Of course, as said, some bars will be open as will some mom&pop shops else plan ahead.

Anyone who complains about these minor inconveniences has never experienced Ramadan in Saudi!

Given some of the sanctimonious and patronising comments here I'm suprised some people don't go and live in Saudi; or maybe Iran, there's a fun place..

But then, their moral, teetotal lifestyle wouldn't be so special in places like that. Better to hold the moral high ground in Nakhon Nowhere.

Tomorrow is a public holiday so not sure why you think I might be driving home.

Ahhhhh.... I don't work see - you'll be off for a spot of sight seeing then tomorrow !

No, why ?

Iam going to relax at home for the weekend.

Oh C'mon the Thais do not operate on logic coffee1.gifblink.pngcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Ahhhhh.... I don't work see - you'll be off for a spot of sight seeing then tomorrow !

No, why ?

Just my sarcasm mate- I didn't think you would be doing much sight seeing with your refreshments order, at least no sight seeing beyond the boundaries of your place !

Enjoy it anyway- I might even open up a sherry myself !

Of course, as said, some bars will be open as will some mom&pop shops else plan ahead.

As all restaurants and resorts will go on selling too, ...and many Thais will have alcohol parties... It's the same BS as the BIG raise in price on alcoholic beverages (end of last year), especially on imported ones (but Australia and Chili keep their special lower rates...), and ...except the local so-called 'white spirits', while these are mostly of very bad quality, and what the modal (poor) Thai is drinking a lot of! And all the BS being so-called 'sin taxes' to 'discourage people from drinking', because of Thailand being a Buddhist country. Hypocrisy! I'd think Laos is more of a Buddhist country than Thailand is, but strong alcohols, and wines(!) are sold there for half the price here, go figure why... (How many millions of Thais on the way to the job in the early morning, each and every day, have their 'shot' of white spirit, on an empty stomach, with one, strong cigarette, at some pop and mom shop? When that 'shot' would at once go cost 20Baht, it could start an uprise... It's pure poison, but mai pen rai, the rich get richer!)

No, why ?

Just my sarcasm mate- I didn't think you would be doing much sight seeing with your refreshments order, at least no sight seeing beyond the boundaries of your place !

All good mate, I knew you was just taking the the piss.

I did not expect the JD to be purchased (the missus made that call) but the beer..... I always buy 10 carton's at a time, gets me an 80b per box discount... that will last my house about 5 weeks depending on visitors.

No, why ?

All good mate, I knew you was just taking the the piss.

I did not expect the JD to be purchased (the missus made that call) but the beer..... I always buy 10 carton's at a time, gets me an 80b per box discount... that will last my house about 5 weeks depending on visitors.

Sounds like a good woman you got there n sounds like a good weekend you got lined up !

Think I will dust down a good book and get some good filtered coffee on the go tomorrow !

Anyone who complains about these minor inconveniences has never experienced Ramadan in Saudi!

Given some of the sanctimonious and patronising comments here I'm suprised some people don't go and live in Saudi; or maybe Iran, there's a fun place..

But then, their moral, teetotal lifestyle wouldn't be so special in places like that. Better to hold the moral high ground in Nakhon Nowhere.

In Iran it's less 'evident' indeed, as many 'local' factors intervene, but in Saudi, behind the walls of the 'well set''s homes are some of the best stocked alcohol bars in-the-world, and poured of as if it was water, more and more even men and women not drinking separately, you probably didn't know the 'right' people when you were there, were you ...? To me, the same religious hypocrites as here, are you one of them? Have you ever looked at the reports on Thai TV about gatherings of the 'crème-de-la-crème' on some no-alcohol days? What are they toasting with in front of the camera, is it water, orange juice, or could it be some kind of wine wine or so, maybe sparkling? LOL