Beware, 48-hour alcohol-buying ban in Thailand starts tonight

webfact

thank you for the advise ..cheesy.gif .!...stock is already made thumbsup.gif , we bought everything we needed for these few days......! xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.

as usual, people in the village really dont care about this mesuresdrunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif , they always find a house-shop ready to sell alcool to anyone.burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif

for them getting dead pissed is a normal thing.....!

coffee1.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you still buy sex on Fri- Sat?

I'm fairly sure that is against the law 24/7 year round.

Massage places will be open and the "walking areas" will be busier than usual, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is good to have a makro in walking distance biggrin.png

attachicon.gif2tv.jpg

...But bad to buy the horrible cheap stuff on your picture, NOT even WINE (as made from fermented grapes) as far as the Thai customs are concerned (look at the colour of the tax band), it's a 'fruit wine', in reality concentrate (powder?) from SA mixed with fruit juice under 'bonded stores' before being imported through the customs, as being made by one of the richest families in Thailand (yes, the Red Bull one), nobody seems to bother (brown envelopes?) about this scam...

If the consumption of alcohol was banned I could understand, but to ban the purchase when most stock up beforehand seems to defeat the object.

Can somebody help me out here, and explain the logic ?

TiT ! nothing is logical !

Bloody typical! Wife's away for a couple of days, a chance for me to go out, and this happens. Any suggestions???

Now you realise why your (Thai?) wife has just picked these few days to be away... LOL

Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

Surely not?

I thought one of the biggest attractions for tourists coming to Thailand was to traipse endlessly around temples before popping off down to the beach for a swim in the clear aquamarine sea and then enjoying a delicious freshly caught Thai seafood lunch at one of those cheap family run beachside restaurants that ever so slightly dip their supports onto the pristine sand. Then it's back to the temples for some more Buddhist culture before dinner and an early night. thumbsup.gif

I thought one of the biggest attractions for tourists coming to Thailand was to be harassed and pretty much hijacked endlessly around temples before being dragged into a jewelry shop of dubious distinctions and then enjoying the amphetamines the tuk tuk offers you along with the lady who isn't a lady. Afterwards a savory MSG meal in the humidity served up amongst beggars and rats. Then an unsolicited knock on your door thew next day to enjoy the serenity of the shooting range and his "brother's" place who happens to be the world's finest tailor.

• Like 2

I am enjoying a couple of weeks well earned rest in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I'll be raising a glass to all my friends in the Kingdom of Thailand over the next couple of days!!

To those of you who are posting in the 'respect Buddhism' vein: how was it that the needs of Buddhism were adequately served by NOT having alcohol bans until 5 or 6 years ago when that little creep Abhisit, introduced the Buddhist holiday booze ban in order to ingratiate himself with the Buddhist hierarchy.

To those of you who are posting in the 'respect Buddhism' vein: how was it that the needs of Buddhism were adequately served by NOT having alcohol bans until 5 or 6 years ago when that little creep Abhisit, introduced the Buddhist holiday booze ban in order to ingratiate himself with the Buddhist hierarchy.

That was him ? I thought the ban is older.

• Like 1

Yes.. I think you are being slightly unfair to Mr Eton & Oxford. I recall back in 1993, when I was new to the place, being ushered into TQ 2 on Pattaya Beach Rd via the back door, because it was a "Buddha day", and drinking beer out of a tea cup.

These things seem to go up and down depending on the degree of "brown nosing" currently in vogue. I've not known them close for the August royal holiday in Pattaya for many years, but this year things may well be different.

Even the bar owners say they don't know what the score is until they get a letter, are called to a meeting or nothing is said and they open and see if the police come.

Yes.. I think you are being slightly unfair to Mr Eton & Oxford. I recall back in 1993, when I was new to the place, being ushered into TQ 2 on Pattaya Beach Rd via the back door, because it was a "Buddha day", and drinking beer out of a tea cup.

These things seem to go up and down depending on the degree of "brown nosing" currently in vogue. I've not known them close for the August royal holiday in Pattaya for many years, but this year things may well be different.

Even the bar owners say they don't know what the score is until they get a letter, are called to a meeting or nothing is said and they open and see if the police come.

I'm sure they fooled you because TQ2 is in soi BJ off walking street.

poohy, on 10 Jul 2014 - 12:03, said:

Buddhist holidays are an inconvenience for tourists , but on the other hand little or no effect and guaranteed more business for the "mom and pop" shops.

............."you dont like the Buddhist holidays, then dont come to Thailand."

A very predictable Thaivisa remark I seebah.gif

However having lived and worked here for 14 years mostly in the inbound tourist business hence knowing dry weekends/ days are inconvenient ! for the punters who probably don't have the local knowledge of how to get around these inconveniences

Personally now not in this game and live way south of BKK and "whatever day it is" beer is available should I want it

Cheersbiggrin.png

Maybe there are tourists who come to Thailand for the Buddhist holidays.

I honestly think a lot of these people that post against Thai holidays and laws should go back home for a couple of years. It would give them a different feeling about living in Thailand.

I am having a hard time digesting that people won't come to Thailand if they can't drink on Buddhist Holidays or other prescribed times of the year. In my opinion there are very few who would be teetered by this.

Yes they are inconvenient for the punters. But a punter is not a tourist they are a bar fly looking for a women they can not get back home.

I find it quite sad or even disturbing looking at the expats in places like Hua Hin, Pattaya and Chiang Mai, are realising that after a life of work on rigs, construction and the like, they are left with absolutely no idea of how to have a good time without alcohol.

In the past their short spats of leisure between contracts/shifts were filled with drink and..well, more drink; now without any work to break the monotony they have nothing left but alcohol. and spend their lives waiting for the next drinking session to kick in. I think it's a pity that no-one showed them somewhere along the line that they is more to life than booze.

I find it quite sad or even disturbing looking at the expats in places like Hua Hin, Pattaya and Chiang Mai, are realising that after a life of work on rigs, construction and the like, they are left with absolutely no idea of how to have a good time without alcohol.

In the past their short spats of leisure between contracts/shifts were filled with drink and..well, more drink; now without any work to break the monotony they have nothing left but alcohol. and spend their lives waiting for the next drinking session to kick in. I think it's a pity that no-one showed them somewhere along the line that they is more to life than booze.

I know...I'm really bummed.