Overstay question

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a astounding outcome concerning the current overstay panic I just received an email from a friend who left Thailand on the 8th of this month and he is back in the U.K.and preparing to obtain the correct visa along with his new passport, the old one having been machine washed somewhat conveniently.

He presented himself at Swampy at the appropriate desk with the 20 K in his passport a smile and a grovel plus a pile of money in the back pocket if needed which it wasn't and that was with a 20 year overstay!!!

He said ''the officer didn't bat an eyelid, took the money stamped the passport and issued a receipt.''

So it is all down at the moment it seems to luck.

He is a braver man than me though.

Paying overstays and leaving still seems to be the easiest bit if you have the money.

Getting a visa at a nearby Consulate depends on where you go and the easiest destination is already mentioned in this thread.

However, the question about should the friend just come back as soon as he gets the new visa? There's some talk already of people with TR visas being denied entry at southern land borders due to their passports being chock-full of border-bounce/visa run stamps. Your friend is returning by air I hope and so far, we haven't heard of anyone getting denied entry at the airport... but some have gotten the 'third degree' so you friend better have a nice demeanor and acceptable answers, and cash/credit for onward/outward travel just in case.

Plan B anyone?

Can you clarify exactly where Tak is please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tak_Province

Thanks for that - I have been in the vicinity a few times but not to Tak itself - not being 100% up on the geography I suggest he gets to Mae Hong Son, and takes a Kan Airways flight to Chiang Mai - then takes an international flight with AA to KL. He'll be able to pay the fine there and be out the country quicly, while minimizing the risk of being caught in transit at a checkpoint.

When I was in Mae Sot, Mae Hong Son area the checkpoints tended to wave vehicles through that had farangs in them - the only time I have ever been checked was on a VIP bus on the road to Mae Sai - and that was the third check that day. The first two the police and army spoke to every Asian on the bus and left the foreigners alone.

So - quickest way out - Kan Airways - MHS, CNX and then exit the country.

KL to Penang is easy - KL to Vientiane is easy by flight too - the guy can pick which consulate is best and get on with it.

I did get stopped too here in Chiang Mai at Thapae Gate (right in front of the McDonald). I was on the passager side of a motorcycle with my thai friend and i even had a small can of beer in my hand and they did nothing.... both army and police were there... They only gave us a 100 baths fine cause we didn't had helmets...

Only 100 B ?

Not too much.

Ind why didn't you use helmet ??? Are you a super hero ? I don't want to read about you here in future: " ...there wasn't found any helmet around victim ... " thumbsup.gif

A friend of mine had overstayed his visa by 11 months. Upon discovery, the police took him to Amnat Charoen and there he was fined 3000 Bt after that the matter was OK

Edited by berriev

Let me join with some hands-on info on international departure (air) some days ago.

A farang in retirement age was leaving the country with an overstay of almost a year.

He was informed of the new regulations regarding the blacklisting procedure (one to three years)

This was of course unexpected and kind of a shock for both of us.

He was nicely dressed, apologized for the trouble he caused and mentionend to have a Thai family waiting for him to return.

There were three officers in the room and everything was handled in a friendly and understanding manner.

It was mentioned that he should get a new Non-O right away again.

The officer in charge then told him that he would not make the blacklist entry in the computersystem / passport because of him being married to a Thai. - No money was asked -

We both flew out and returned the same day. He told me his story on the plane. Who I am to judge? I just felt happy for him.

And I remember why I enjoy Thailand for more than 20 years. Thank you.

I did get stopped too here in Chiang Mai at Thapae Gate (right in front of the McDonald). I was on the passager side of a motorcycle with my thai friend and i even had a small can of beer in my hand and they did nothing.... both army and police were there... They only gave us a 100 baths fine cause we didn't had helmets...

Only 100 B ?

Not too much.

Ind why didn't you use helmet ??? Are you a super hero ? I don't want to read about you here in future: " ...there wasn't found any helmet around victim ... " thumbsup.gif

Long story short: we (me and my thai friend) were only suppose to drive like 4-5 sois to get to a friend house but my friend decided to drive a little bit further so i didn't think a helmet was needed neither did i thought i should worry of finishing my little can of Leo on the small soi. I told my friend to not go where the police are to which he said 'ok no problem. Next thing you know: He drive directly to Thapae Gate lol.

'So - quickest way out - Kan Airways - MHS, CNX and then exit the country. '

I am in Chiang Mai. He's coming down here from Tak cause i told him that we could do a CMX - BKK flight and then get out of the country. Do he absolutely need to clear his fine at bkk airport or can he clean it here in CMX Airport? If he can clear it here and get out of the country i think it would make things much easier.

Edited by shocky2004

He could only do it at CNX if he was on direct flight out of the country and went through immigration there.

So let's say he has a plane ticket in hand direct to KL + 20k baths, he could fix the issue in CMX and doesnt have to go down to Bangkok?

He could only do it at CNX if he was on direct flight out of the country and went through immigration there.

So let's say he has a plane ticket in hand direct to KL + 20k baths, he could fix the issue in CMX and doesnt have to go down to Bangkok?

Yes

He would clear immigration in CNX.

There are several international flights a day from CNX - several different carriers. I'm only suggesting the Mae Hong Son flight via Kan Airways as it will reduce the time/risk on the road. Check-in at the international desks- go upstairs, pay your fine at immigration, and you're gone.

You'll probably be familiar with AirAsia and the other well known carriers - a couple of lesser known carriers are Air Bagan that can take you to Yangon - and Lao Airlines which takes you direct to Luang Prabang.

I'm not up to speed with the visa situation in Yangon, if you go to LP, you can either take a bus down to Vientiane or fly down again with Lao Airlines.

Obviously you could fly to KL and connect to Penang - I suppose whatever happens you would be (or your friend would be) looking to first of all get a flight directly out of the country - and to secondly get to the most benign embassy or consulate.

AirAsia also flies direct to Hong Kong - I don't know what the visa situ is there?

Edited by Pattszero

I'm only suggesting the Mae Hong Son flight via Kan Airways as it will reduce the time/risk on the road.

This I really don't get, Tak to Mae Hong Son is like 500km in small roads, near Myanmat border. Many checkpoints. Tak to Chiang Mai is big highway, never seen buses stopped for passport checking and it is just over 250km.

I'm only suggesting the Mae Hong Son flight via Kan Airways as it will reduce the time/risk on the road.

This I really don't get, Tak to Mae Hong Son is like 500km in small roads, near Myanmat border. Many checkpoints. Tak to Chiang Mai is big highway, never seen buses stopped for passport checking and it is just over 250km.

If he's closer to CM then of course go direct there - also there wouldn't be any harm in flying to DM with Nok Air and exiting there.

ps - I did say I wasn't sure of the geography - we have only been given a province by the OP, not a town. It's possible he's betwixt and between

Unless these checkpoints are maned by Immigration Officers I don't see the connection between the two. Checkpoints have a specific purpose and officers are focused on this purpose. Not having the passport with you could trigger further inquiries, if you are even asked for it, however there is no good reason for them to require you to present your passport unless they have found some reason to justify this - which again is likely to be related to the checkpoint's purpose.

Under most circumstances you will not face an immigration officer until you are on the way out of the country - or if you go to an immigration office and talk to one for whatever reason. If the overstay is long then expect some scolding by some officers, and they will definitely go to the computer to make sure there are no outstanding warrants against you in case you are leaving because of legal problems in the Kingdom. If you are on international warrants, well, that will pop-up too.

If there are no legal issues, I would not try to sneak out through some small border office, that only gives the locals more power to scrutinize and perhaps invent new laws on the fly. Large border checkpoints and international airports are just too busy to do more than the expected paperwork - pay the 20K, get a stamp on your passport stating your long overstay, and get on with your life. May be you have the charm to talk the officer out of putting that awful stamp on your passport.

Once you are out of the country, apply for the best visa you are able to qualify. There are plenty of legal firms that will give you the necessary paperwork to qualify for a multiple-entry non-immigration B visa - for a fee. I don't really know the level of scrutiny the embassy officials put into the submitted paperwork, and I am sure that things are more difficult under the regime, however I am of the strong belief that presentation and charm go a long long way in securing a positive outcome when submitting your visa application.

No matter the outcome, and yes, there is risk involved, the sooner you can get through the cycle and get a visa to return back to the Kingdom the better. There is no blacklist policy in place at this time, so even if you passport say maximum overstay paid, it is very likely that you will be allowed back into the Kingdom, especially if the only problem you have had in the country is to overstay your visa. But once the blacklist policy is in effect, all bets are off, and expect strict enforcement for the first several weeks or months.

ANY regular police can check your visa and if youre on overstay, youre toast

what would be the reason for the police to arrest? you have a ticket out of thailand same or second day and 200000 Baht fine, so

they arrest you and then they have to pay you a new ticket out of thailand. No reason to arrest, same immigration at airport not arrest you,

when you can show a ticket out of thailand in the next hours and you are on the way, then nobody cares

Let me join with some hands-on info on international departure (air) some days ago.

A farang in retirement age was leaving the country with an overstay of almost a year.

He was informed of the new regulations regarding the blacklisting procedure (one to three years)

He was nicely dressed, apologized for the trouble he caused and mentionend to have a Thai family waiting for him to return.

There were three officers in the room and everything was handled in a friendly and understanding manner.

The officer in charge then told him that he would not make the blacklist entry in the computersystem / passport because of him being married to a Thai. - No money was asked -

We both flew out and returned the same day. He told me his story on the plane. Who I am to judge? I just felt happy for him.

no money fine at airport for 11 months overstay? my god, the storys become really wild, you shoukd write for some thai soap operas

Unless these checkpoints are maned by Immigration Officers I don't see the connection between the two. Checkpoints have a specific purpose and officers are focused on this purpose. Not having the passport with you could trigger further inquiries, if you are even asked for it, however there is no good reason for them to require you to present your passport unless they have found some reason to justify this - which again is likely to be related to the checkpoint's purpose.

Under most circumstances you will not face an immigration officer until you are on the way out of the country - or if you go to an immigration office and talk to one for whatever reason. If the overstay is long then expect some scolding by some officers, and they will definitely go to the computer to make sure there are no outstanding warrants against you in case you are leaving because of legal problems in the Kingdom. If you are on international warrants, well, that will pop-up too.

If there are no legal issues, I would not try to sneak out through some small border office, that only gives the locals more power to scrutinize and perhaps invent new laws on the fly. Large border checkpoints and international airports are just too busy to do more than the expected paperwork - pay the 20K, get a stamp on your passport stating your long overstay, and get on with your life. May be you have the charm to talk the officer out of putting that awful stamp on your passport.

Once you are out of the country, apply for the best visa you are able to qualify. There are plenty of legal firms that will give you the necessary paperwork to qualify for a multiple-entry non-immigration B visa - for a fee. I don't really know the level of scrutiny the embassy officials put into the submitted paperwork, and I am sure that things are more difficult under the regime, however I am of the strong belief that presentation and charm go a long long way in securing a positive outcome when submitting your visa application.

No matter the outcome, and yes, there is risk involved, the sooner you can get through the cycle and get a visa to return back to the Kingdom the better. There is no blacklist policy in place at this time, so even if you passport say maximum overstay paid, it is very likely that you will be allowed back into the Kingdom, especially if the only problem you have had in the country is to overstay your visa. But once the blacklist policy is in effect, all bets are off, and expect strict enforcement for the first several weeks or months.

ANY regular police can check your visa and if youre on overstay, youre toast

what would be the reason for the police to arrest? you have a ticket out of thailand same or second day and 200000 Baht fine, so

they arrest you and then they have to pay you a new ticket out of thailand. No reason to arrest, same immigration at airport not arrest you,

when you can show a ticket out of thailand in the next hours and you are on the way, then nobody cares

you are wrong. any cop can hold you for transfer to immigation and they certainly dont pay for a ticket out

There are several international flights a day from CNX - several different carriers. I'm only suggesting the Mae Hong Son flight via Kan Airways as it will reduce the time/risk on the road. Check-in at the international desks- go upstairs, pay your fine at immigration, and you're gone.

You'll probably be familiar with AirAsia and the other well known carriers - a couple of lesser known carriers are Air Bagan that can take you to Yangon - and Lao Airlines which takes you direct to Luang Prabang.

I'm not up to speed with the visa situation in Yangon, if you go to LP, you can either take a bus down to Vientiane or fly down again with Lao Airlines.

Obviously you could fly to KL and connect to Penang - I suppose whatever happens you would be (or your friend would be) looking to first of all get a flight directly out of the country - and to secondly get to the most benign embassy or consulate.

AirAsia also flies direct to Hong Kong - I don't know what the visa situ is there?

Thanks for all the infos you provided me so far, it's really helpful.

My friend is actually here at my condo. He came today from Tak to Chiang Mai by car with a friend. We plan on flying out monday/tuesday morning but i would like to know if flying from Chiang Mai to Myanmar (Yangon i guess?) would be a good idea? Also i have absolutely no idea how tourist visa work as i've never had one (i did had one when i came out of plane but ever since i've been on my ED visa) so if someone can tell me what would he need or can direct me to an updated link it would be appreciated. I've searched but some of the infos i've found seem over-dated.

Biggest fear so far seems to be able to come back to Thailand. Ideally, the plan would be to get a tourist visa for 30 days so it can give him time to contact a school and get the right papers/documents to apply for an ED visa the next month.

Anyway cheers guys, thanks again!

no money fine at airport for 11 months overstay? my god, the storys become really wild, you shoukd write for some thai soap operas

He paid the 20,000 fine but that was it.

I think it's clear that the fine is not the problem. The blacklisting has the devastating concequences.

The Thai government cannot add a child to a passport of a foreign national. Only the country to which the passport belongs can do that.

Most Western countries will not do it and have started to implement that children from birth on now must have their own passport and cannot be entered onto the passport of one of the parents.

Yes...the child has a passport already ...... but the Thai Visa and the long stay extension has to be applied for by the Parent or Parents.

Then the child has an official long stay immigration status that coincides with the long stay immigration status of the parent.

For now the child is on a tourist visa and now overstaying.

However, the immigration officials do not concern themselves about this matter of a child overstaying.

When the parents or parent exit the country with the child, the immigration officials may want to see a birth certificate along with the passport.

Could they stop the child from leaving and or re-entering is the question?

Officially yes, while it is the responsibility of the parents of course so the parent or parents would or could be held responsible so that means maybe the parents would be fined and penalized...that is.....if they are subjected to the hard core rules by a over zealous immigration official at the airport or border.

Prior to the child leaving the country on May 21, 2014 there was a concern about the child already overstaying 1 year + from the last entry at the airport in April of 2013 and stamped with a 30 day visa upon arrival in the child's passport.

Concerned about the overstay of more than 1 year and what would happen at the airport when leaving again with the parents on May 21, 2014 I was told by the Visa Agent ....No Problem.

The agent told me if I wanted too I can give him the child's passport and he will show it to the immigration officials and have them note the child's passport in the computer system as a non issue ...overstay will be void and null .......so to speak.

I gave him the child's passport and he returned the passport to me 3 days later without anything stamped in the child's passport or any particular documents needed to show at the airport when exiting ...all done without asking for any fee as he said it is no big deal while he is at the Chaengwattana immigration complex working with immigration everyday.

When we left the country there was no problem at all....nothing was said, nothing was asked.

As for the near and or long term future concerning the child's immigration status, no one at immigration can give a 100 % accurate answer as to what will happen to a child ( or the parents ) if and when a child has overstayed for a long period.

The only sensible answer is:

Best that you make the child's immigration status official by applying for a Non "O" Visa and obtain that Visa and then apply for the 1 Year Extension of that Visa while one of the parents is recognized as been the official passport guardian and or Guarantor...so to speak.... on which the child is attached to.

For myself, once again I just give the passports to the visa agent and he takes care of everything and or anything...for a price.

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ie. on the way to the airport or border, but who knows, I had a cop insist I wasnt wearing a helmet last night when I was so anything can happen in Thailand

Your beliefs are not correct, my friend. Not at all.

Oh yes they can arrest you for overstaying .

That is if you are somehow caught out by the police ..at your home or on the street , where ever or where ever you are besides immigration or at the airport while exiting the country or at the border exiting the country.

There have been thousands of cases over the years of foreign nationals ( any country ) caught out for overstaying.

The police can and will arrest you and put you in jail as that is the official position and or procedure.

Most people pay the arresting officer(s) and they are released.

Price is negotiable...but they commonly try to cite the 20,000 baht price as that is a somewhat confirmed price for overstay...although the maximum.

But the police officers will try to collect 20,000 baht while some will even threaten their new clients with worse if they do not pay ...say 100,000 baht.

But if you can not pay or they did not accept your payment for some reason then you would stay in Jail and be processed.

There is a jail behind the old Suan Plue immigration office full of immigration violators.

I used to live right across from that old immigration office on Suan Plue Road for over 2 years, back in 1993 and 1994 +

How do I know this.

Over the many years, My visa agent has had plenty of phone calls by people or friends of people concerning having been arrested by the police for overstay and he comes to their rescue and resolves the problem with the police....for a price.

Also, officially everyone is supposed to be carrying their passport with them...officially that is, while a photo copy is not acceptable ...officially that is ...but most of the time the officers that do stop you and request a look at your passport will accept a photo copy...but if they want they can press the issue and hold you and make you present them with the original document.

If your passport shows you have overstayed then they can make trouble for you while you are now consider a good money making client for them.

Happy to meet you they are.

Edited by gemguy

Thanks for the reply.

I just asked him if he had some friends that could drive him in bkk. I think it would be a better option too as i really doubt police stop car with thai matriculation.

Also oztaurus, do you think he would need to stay in Laos for quite some times or can he just go out and comeback (by go and comeback i mean, stay there the time he does his visa application THEN comeback) ?

If that can help, he overstayed a ED visa (i thought it was a tourist but no). Don't know if it can changes anything but whatever.

Last question: If he can't get an tourist visa? (which to be honest i doubt since he been in Thailand for around 2.5 - 3 years so far, been on an ED visa twice already but never did tourist visa) can he try to apply for another ED visa? (i doubt it also since he already got 2 of these but i'm just asking so i can give him as much information as i can.

Thanks again and goodluck to your friend

He could also go to Chaengwattana and ask for their help.

I deal with them often...they are friendly and helpful while it is part of their job to resolve these sort of issues.

It seems it is the officials at the borders that are now obligated to scrutinize all the more people lately and into the future.

I was at the immigration complex yesterday asking some questions about the status of a child that re-entered through the airport last June 13th.

His passport has a 1 month stay granted at the airport so in effect his visa upon arrival is now finished.

2 senior immigrations officials told me:

Do not worry about this particular issue concerning the over stay of a child under 14 years old.

However, if you want it to be official then....and they explained the official procedure as how a child can be added onto the Fathers passport and immigration status or added on to the Mothers passport and her current immigration status.

It involves going to the Ministry of Foreign affairs ( located at the Cheangwatttana complex ) and requesting that the child be attached to the Mother or Fathers passport.

With those documents duly signed and copies in hand then the Father or Mother has to go to a Thai Embassy ( those damn embassy people again ) and apply for a 90 day Non "O" Visa.

Come back to Thailand and within the 90 days apply for the 1 year Non "O" extension that will coincide with Mother or Fathers visa status....so, when the Mother or Father is granted their next extension the child also is granted another 1 year extension...like that.

This is what I was told by the 2 officials.

I also asked them what will happen concerning overstay and the new rules.

They expect them to be enforced....as that is the official position....as for children???...they are not sure about children but that issue will be discussed.

But for now they expect the new rules to be enforced for adults in violation of the new rules...."yeahk muck" .... they said...letting me know that they do not agree with these new rules at all.

Meantime I called up my visa agent, who goes to Chaengwattana every day ( as that is his everyday 24/7 business ) and he was available to meet me and I met him at a coffee shop near the Immigration complex.

He tells me, although the changes in the rules have upset or disrupted his usual format, it is business as usual and he is continuing to resolve peoples immigration issues ....for a price....a price that is a big convenience and well worth the cost.

I use his services all the time....simple and convenient.

Simply give him your passport and get what you asked for is the usual routine....with some exceptions depending on nationality and the ongoing restrictions for some nationalities.

Meantime, lately his hands have been tied a little but he expects most everything to fade back to business as usual....soon enough.

Those were his comments.

As he always says: It is all about money for services rendered by the immigration contacts plus the costs of his services rendered to the clients.

When I told him about how I was told by the immigration officials about how to obtain official status for a 20 month old child, who's 30 day visa upon arrival is now finished, he said the same thing he always says:

Give me the passports and agree to pay his price and pick up the passport(s) next week with everything in order....and no need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and or go to a Thai embassy to apply for a 90 day Non "0" Visa.

Problem solved....for a price.

To me the Immigration officials are like the tax officials...everything can be resolved with a smile and a price attached to the reciprocal smile.

You know.....The Thailand that we all love ...but sometimes love to loathe.

Cheers

I'm not sure i understand.

You want my friend, with a nearly year overstay, to go to Chaeng Wattana, a place full of immigrations officers to try to get help? ohmy.png

Actually if understood correctly, as for today, all he have to do is have a plane ticket out of the country in his hand + the fine + a good laywer to make sure that he can get a visa to come back in and he's fine?

Cause he's biggest fear atm seems to not be able to come back (not because of being blacklisted but he's scared they won't let him have access to any kind of visa)

I will actually go with him next week in case something happens he wants me to tell to his girlfriend here so i will be able to make a report about how it went.

This might sound like a stupid question but if you take a plane inside the country (he plan on coming here to Chiang Mai and we go to bkk together) like Chiang Mai to BKK, do they check all passeports there? Sorry once again if this sound stupid.

Thanks all by the way

Yes ..you are correct about the ability for him to leave the country by plane and then try to re-enter the country.

At present it is understood that you can still pay the 20,000 baht ( maximum fine ) at the airport

However at this point do not be surprised if he receives a stamp in his passport for his overstay time and fine paid that the Thai Embassies, anywhere in the world can and or will use against him to deny him a visa of any kind....as that is their official prerogative to do so and often flatly deny you any kind of Visa.

Back in the day I overstayed numerous times...a week here, a month there.... and paid the fine at the airport with all the airport immigration officials smiling and all friendly.

But once, while applying for a 90 day multiple entry tourist visa at the Honk Kong Thai consulate I was pulled in and questioned about all the overstay stamps and told I would only be given a 30 day tourist visa......nothing else

"And do not show up at this Consulate again", I was told, as he did not like me violating his countries immigration laws.

My suggesting your friend going to Cheangwattana is based on all my years of friendly help provided by the immigration officials at the old Suan Plue immigration office and at the new Chaengwattana immigration complex.

Personally I recommend it because that is where you will make friends and contacts with the officials who will be happy to help you...for a price.

Through those officials I was introduced to my current Visa agent who simply takes care of everything...for a price.

They work together to resolve these kinds of issues.

It is a service and a business.

As for the last question:

I am not making like an expert.......just telling you my experiences and some knowledge on the issue(s)

I do not believe that your friend would be questioned about his overstay issue by the in country airport officials, as it is not their concern.

However, with the current situation....it is a possibility.

Regards

So, just to recap, the OP's friend has been in Thailand for up to 3 years already, mostly on ED visas. I suppose we have to assume that in this time, the friend was attending school in Tak so should be comfortable with the local language. We should also assume that the friend must benefit from some sort of inheritance to be able to stay here so long, (possibly) attending classes with no visible means of support. This really does sound like a genuine tourist to me.

So, just to recap, the OP's friend has been in Thailand for up to 3 years already, mostly on ED visas. I suppose we have to assume that in this time, the friend was attending school in Tak so should be comfortable with the local language. We should also assume that the friend must benefit from some sort of inheritance to be able to stay here so long, (possibly) attending classes with no visible means of support. This really does sound like a genuine tourist to me.

First year he did indeed go to school. But he had to leave Thailand to go back to his home country after 4-5 months so he lost the other 6-7 months of his ED visa. Then when he came back, he re-applied for an ED visa. That time, he stopped going after i don't know how long (met some thai gf, blabla i don't know).

As i stated earlier, he did made a mistake on that one and only him will pay and be held fully responsible of his acts. I do not agree with what he did and i clearly told him. But at the end of the day, he's my friend and i consider him as a good person who <deleted> it up and i'm not the type of person to leave a friend like that.

But you can go ahead and play the detective role and determine via internet and the little infos you have about him if he's a 'genuine tourist'. So many people are doing it here (seems like it's the only thing they do, or go drink some beers at the bar whining about how thai girls are evil, about how thai only try to scam for money, etc) i'm used to that :-P.

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ie. on the way to the airport or border, but who knows, I had a cop insist I wasnt wearing a helmet last night when I was so anything can happen in Thailand

Oh yes they can, and it certainly has happened in the past. Was it Ranong for those that have been around a lot longer, there were regular shake downs some years back?

Now, is not a time to be messing around with visas.

hi could someone advise me . is it possible to pay your overstay at freindship bridge crossing and go to vietiene embassy to get a new visa .. or is flying and paying fine at airport easier ?????? many thanks

Edited by pratsku

hi could someone advise me . is it possible to pay your overstay at freindship bridge crossing and go to vietiene embassy to get a new visa .. or is flying and paying fine at airport easier ?????? many thanks

Yes it is possible to pay the overstay at the bridge.

The only big different is a greater risk of getting caught on the way to the bridge. This can be reduced by flying to Udon Thani and going to the bridge from there,