Overstay question

A friend of mine just told me minutes ago that he overstayed (around 11 months). I didn't ask him why as i'm a little bit shocked and huge disappointed since i never expected someone like him to do that but i feel like it would just be wrong for me to not try to help me. He's responsible for his acts and seems conscious of that. So, basically i have some question regarding his situation

1) He's Canadian, just like me. He told me that he can pay his fine and have everything ready but wanted to minimize the chance of getting blacklisted. He contacted Canada embassy and they told him that 'The fines are still dues to BKK airport and the old rule apply'. But, they confirmed him that thai autorities are, at the moment, applying the new law regarding overstay on papers (starting to spreading it though immigrations centers around the country) but that there was no 'official statement' made yet.

2) Do you think he should get in touch with a laywer from a firm? (Sunbelt Asia) for example to go at the airport?

3) Is traveling in bus safe? (I think he's actually in Tak) or do the police stop bus compagny on the road?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the suggestion which I gave to a friend of mine (fellow Australian, recently over 50yo.) with a 3 month overstay of a tourist visa. Get a Thai friend to drive him to Swampy on Monday - there is a Lao Airlines flight at 12:40 to Savannakhet, pay the 20K very contritely and politely, come back with a proper non-imm O visa.

Hopefully your friend can qualify for a non-imm O.

I am not sure whether there are regular checks between Tak and Bangkok, but I would not risk a high profile target like a bus or a van.

With a bit of luck, unless the blacklist crackdown policy got implemented today, the 4 day weekend will play well into this plan and nothing will happen until at least Tuesday, by which time your friend (and mine) will have nice shiny new legal visas and a story to tell in the bars for years about how they dodged a bullet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I just asked him if he had some friends that could drive him in bkk. I think it would be a better option too as i really doubt police stop car with thai matriculation.

Also oztaurus, do you think he would need to stay in Laos for quite some times or can he just go out and comeback (by go and comeback i mean, stay there the time he does his visa application THEN comeback) ?

If that can help, he overstayed a ED visa (i thought it was a tourist but no). Don't know if it can changes anything but whatever.

Last question: If he can't get an tourist visa? (which to be honest i doubt since he been in Thailand for around 2.5 - 3 years so far, been on an ED visa twice already but never did tourist visa) can he try to apply for another ED visa? (i doubt it also since he already got 2 of these but i'm just asking so i can give him as much information as i can.

Thanks again and goodluck to your friend

Edited by shocky2004

The new overstay rules have not gone into effect yet. They are waiting for approval by the interior ministry and I suspect that their will be an effective date set when it does happen. The papers mentioned are just a form that people applying for extensions have to sign.

He should try to travel by air from the nearest airport to him.

As of today he should not a have a problem leaving from the airport if he has the 20k baht for the fine..

• Like 1

He would not get an ED visa without documents from a school and that would require enrolling and paying a years tuition. The paperwork can take up to 3 weeks to get from the MOE.

He should not a have problem getting a tourist visa but it could depend upon where he goes for it.

The new overstay rules have not gone into effect yet. They are waiting for approval by the interior ministry and I suspect that their will be an effective date set when it does happen. The papers mentioned are just a form that people applying for extensions have to sign.

As of today he should not a have a problem leaving from the airport if he has the 20k baht for the fine..

Thanks for the clarification.

The money won't be a problem. I think he's more worried about

a) blacklist

B) application for a visa (either tourist/ed).

I guess since they rule isn't in full effect yet his chance of getting blacklisted (beside if he get caught before reaching the airport) are small.

I'm near Tak, many police check points. They do come on the bus looking for drugs etc, but I've never been asked to show my passport.

I have been asked to show my passport and they checked the stamps as well.

• Like 1

Here's the suggestion which I gave to a friend of mine (fellow Australian, recently over 50yo.) with a 3 month overstay of a tourist visa. Get a Thai friend to drive him to Swampy on Monday - there is a Lao Airlines flight at 12:40 to Savannakhet, pay the 20K very contritely and politely, come back with a proper non-imm O visa.

Hopefully your friend can qualify for a non-imm O.

I am not sure whether there are regular checks between Tak and Bangkok, but I would not risk a high profile target like a bus or a van.

With a bit of luck, unless the blacklist crackdown policy got implemented today, the 4 day weekend will play well into this plan and nothing will happen until at least Tuesday, by which time your friend (and mine) will have nice shiny new legal visas and a story to tell in the bars for years about how they dodged a bullet.

Correct - I wouldn't catch a bus or a van. Avoid public transport. Generally speaking, private cars are not stopped or if they are, nobody checks passports or IDs except if the passengers look Burmese or something (this would be between Tak and Mae Sot). There should not be any checks between Tak and Bangkok because it's not near the border. Checkpoints exist, but they are targeting drugs, occasionally speeding or other traffic infringements, not document checks to see if workers are illegal. Even between Tak and Mae Sot the focus is on drugs - but Burmese are often caught up there due to that being the main road to/from the Burmese border there and a popular smuggling/illegal migration route. Westerners are rarely, if ever stopped, nor are those of most other nationalities but just to be safe it's better to travel in a private vehicle as I have seen buses and vans stopped and passengers asked to get out etc.

I have been on that road 20 times in the past 2 years and not once was I asked for any documentation. Only a Sri Lankan friend was heading towards Myanmar (we were heading to Yangon via Mae Sot) because he obviously looked Indo-Burmese. However, his visa status was not checked, simply that he wasn't Burmese. Of course none of us have ever been on overstay, but I'm just saying.

It's a similar story near the Three Pagodas Pass - no checks on most foreigners. However, that border crossing isn't officially open yet.

By swampy, i guess you mean the international airport in bkk, right? (sorry i'm a young gun, not used to that term lol)

Would it be better for him to purchase the plane ticket in a 7/11 to make sure once he reach the airport he has both his money and plane ticket?

Thanks again.

I'm near Tak, many police check points. They do come on the bus looking for drugs etc, but I've never been asked to show my passport.

I have been asked to show my passport and they checked the stamps as well.

I've always been expecting to be asked. Since over a year of living here. (Bus or motor bike) But so far it's never happened to me. I've been stopped over 20 times, don't even think I ever had my passport on me. But most police check points are looking for drug traffickers, as I'm near the golden triangle. Normally, once they see I'm farang, they just tell me to go on my way. Only one time they asked what was in my bag, but they didn't look.

I did get stopped too here in Chiang Mai at Thapae Gate (right in front of the McDonald). I was on the passager side of a motorcycle with my thai friend and i even had a small can of beer in my hand and they did nothing.... both army and police were there... They only gave us a 100 baths fine cause we didn't had helmets...

By swampy, i guess you mean the international airport in bkk, right? (sorry i'm a young gun, not used to that term lol)

Would it be better for him to purchase the plane ticket in a 7/11 to make sure once he reach the airport he has both his money and plane ticket?

Thanks again.

Yes, sorry for the slang, Swampy is the Suvarnabhumi International Airport in Bangkok (built in what was locally known as the Cobra Swamp - hence the nickname)

If he is cutting the budget that tight then he may well have other problems .... though you did say you thought that the money wasn't a problem, my friend bought his ticket online from the Lao Airlines website about USD170 (apparently Expedia shows the flight at a cheaper price, but couldn't proceed to purchase). I would think that your friend really needs to make sure that he has a valid ticket in his hand ASAP.

• Like 1

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ie. on the way to the airport or border, but who knows, I had a cop insist I wasnt wearing a helmet last night when I was so anything can happen in Thailand

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ie. on the way to the airport or border, but who knows, I had a cop insist I wasnt wearing a helmet last night when I was so anything can happen in Thailand

how would you prove you were on your way to the border?

What? A cop told you you had no helmet...when you had a helmet on your head???? blink.png

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ...

It's not theory only. It happened (at least) several times last year with minibus doing visarun being stopped not far from the Cambodian border. A few people taken to IDC in Bangkok.

I believe that in theory they cant arrest you for overstay if you are travelling to rectify the situation, ie. on the way to the airport or border,

Not true.

If you are stopped anywhere in Thailand without a proper in-date permission to stay stamp or under consideration stamp you can be arrested. This includes a stop outside the airport.

Most people are not checked or arrested but some are unlucky.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification.

The money won't be a problem. I think he's more worried about

If money is not a problem one has to wounder why he overstayed 11 months the sky is falling for him and many more that all of a sudden pop out of the holes they have been hiding in. Sort them all out I say

a) blacklist

cool.png application for a visa (either tourist/ed).

I guess since they rule isn't in full effect yet his chance of getting blacklisted (beside if he get caught before reaching the airport) are small.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Unless these checkpoints are maned by Immigration Officers I don't see the connection between the two. Checkpoints have a specific purpose and officers are focused on this purpose. Not having the passport with you could trigger further inquiries, if you are even asked for it, however there is no good reason for them to require you to present your passport unless they have found some reason to justify this - which again is likely to be related to the checkpoint's purpose.

Under most circumstances you will not face an immigration officer until you are on the way out of the country - or if you go to an immigration office and talk to one for whatever reason. If the overstay is long then expect some scolding by some officers, and they will definitely go to the computer to make sure there are no outstanding warrants against you in case you are leaving because of legal problems in the Kingdom. If you are on international warrants, well, that will pop-up too.

If there are no legal issues, I would not try to sneak out through some small border office, that only gives the locals more power to scrutinize and perhaps invent new laws on the fly. Large border checkpoints and international airports are just too busy to do more than the expected paperwork - pay the 20K, get a stamp on your passport stating your long overstay, and get on with your life. May be you have the charm to talk the officer out of putting that awful stamp on your passport.

Once you are out of the country, apply for the best visa you are able to qualify. There are plenty of legal firms that will give you the necessary paperwork to qualify for a multiple-entry non-immigration B visa - for a fee. I don't really know the level of scrutiny the embassy officials put into the submitted paperwork, and I am sure that things are more difficult under the regime, however I am of the strong belief that presentation and charm go a long long way in securing a positive outcome when submitting your visa application.

No matter the outcome, and yes, there is risk involved, the sooner you can get through the cycle and get a visa to return back to the Kingdom the better. There is no blacklist policy in place at this time, so even if you passport say maximum overstay paid, it is very likely that you will be allowed back into the Kingdom, especially if the only problem you have had in the country is to overstay your visa. But once the blacklist policy is in effect, all bets are off, and expect strict enforcement for the first several weeks or months.

Unless these checkpoints are maned by Immigration Officers I don't see the connection between the two. Checkpoints have a specific purpose and officers are focused on this purpose. Not having the passport with you could trigger further inquiries, if you are even asked for it, however there is no good reason for them to require you to present your passport unless they have found some reason to justify this - which again is likely to be related to the checkpoint's purpose.

Under most circumstances you will not face an immigration officer until you are on the way out of the country - or if you go to an immigration office and talk to one for whatever reason. If the overstay is long then expect some scolding by some officers, and they will definitely go to the computer to make sure there are no outstanding warrants against you in case you are leaving because of legal problems in the Kingdom. If you are on international warrants, well, that will pop-up too.

If there are no legal issues, I would not try to sneak out through some small border office, that only gives the locals more power to scrutinize and perhaps invent new laws on the fly. Large border checkpoints and international airports are just too busy to do more than the expected paperwork - pay the 20K, get a stamp on your passport stating your long overstay, and get on with your life. May be you have the charm to talk the officer out of putting that awful stamp on your passport.

Once you are out of the country, apply for the best visa you are able to qualify. There are plenty of legal firms that will give you the necessary paperwork to qualify for a multiple-entry non-immigration B visa - for a fee. I don't really know the level of scrutiny the embassy officials put into the submitted paperwork, and I am sure that things are more difficult under the regime, however I am of the strong belief that presentation and charm go a long long way in securing a positive outcome when submitting your visa application.

No matter the outcome, and yes, there is risk involved, the sooner you can get through the cycle and get a visa to return back to the Kingdom the better. There is no blacklist policy in place at this time, so even if you passport say maximum overstay paid, it is very likely that you will be allowed back into the Kingdom, especially if the only problem you have had in the country is to overstay your visa. But once the blacklist policy is in effect, all bets are off, and expect strict enforcement for the first several weeks or months.

ANY regular police can check your visa and if youre on overstay, youre toast

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

I just asked him if he had some friends that could drive him in bkk. I think it would be a better option too as i really doubt police stop car with thai matriculation.

Also oztaurus, do you think he would need to stay in Laos for quite some times or can he just go out and comeback (by go and comeback i mean, stay there the time he does his visa application THEN comeback) ?

If that can help, he overstayed a ED visa (i thought it was a tourist but no). Don't know if it can changes anything but whatever.

Last question: If he can't get an tourist visa? (which to be honest i doubt since he been in Thailand for around 2.5 - 3 years so far, been on an ED visa twice already but never did tourist visa) can he try to apply for another ED visa? (i doubt it also since he already got 2 of these but i'm just asking so i can give him as much information as i can.

He could also go to Chaengwattana and ask for their help.

I deal with them often...they are friendly and helpful while it is part of their job to resolve these sort of issues.

It seems it is the officials at the borders that are now obligated to scrutinize all the more people lately and into the future.

I was at the immigration complex yesterday asking some questions about the status of a child that re-entered through the airport last June 13th.

His passport has a 1 month stay granted at the airport so in effect his visa upon arrival is now finished.

2 senior immigrations officials told me:

Do not worry about this particular issue concerning the over stay of a child under 14 years old.

However, if you want it to be official then....and they explained the official procedure as how a child can be added onto the Fathers passport and immigration status or added on to the Mothers passport and her current immigration status.

It involves going to the Ministry of Foreign affairs ( located at the Cheangwatttana complex ) and requesting that the child be attached to the Mother or Fathers passport.

With those documents duly signed and copies in hand then the Father or Mother has to go to a Thai Embassy ( those damn embassy people again ) and apply for a 90 day Non "O" Visa.

Come back to Thailand and within the 90 days apply for the 1 year Non "O" extension that will coincide with Mother or Fathers visa status....so, when the Mother or Father is granted their next extension the child also is granted another 1 year extension...like that.

This is what I was told by the 2 officials.

I also asked them what will happen concerning overstay and the new rules.

They expect them to be enforced....as that is the official position....as for children???...they are not sure about children but that issue will be discussed.

But for now they expect the new rules to be enforced for adults in violation of the new rules...."yeahk muck" .... they said...letting me know that they do not agree with these new rules at all.

Meantime I called up my visa agent, who goes to Chaengwattana every day ( as that is his everyday 24/7 business ) and he was available to meet me and I met him at a coffee shop near the Immigration complex.

He tells me, although the changes in the rules have upset or disrupted his usual format, it is business as usual and he is continuing to resolve peoples immigration issues ....for a price....a price that is a big convenience and well worth the cost.

I use his services all the time....simple and convenient.

Simply give him your passport and get what you asked for is the usual routine....with some exceptions depending on nationality and the ongoing restrictions for some nationalities.

Meantime, lately his hands have been tied a little but he expects most everything to fade back to business as usual....soon enough.

Those were his comments.

As he always says: It is all about money for services rendered by the immigration contacts plus the costs of his services rendered to the clients.

When I told him about how I was told by the immigration officials about how to obtain official status for a 20 month old child, who's 30 day visa upon arrival is now finished, he said the same thing he always says:

Give me the passports and agree to pay his price and pick up the passport(s) next week with everything in order....and no need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and or go to a Thai embassy to apply for a 90 day Non "0" Visa.

Problem solved....for a price.

To me the Immigration officials are like the tax officials...everything can be resolved with a smile and a price attached to the reciprocal smile.

You know.....The Thailand that we all love ...but sometimes love to loathe.

Cheers

• Like 1

The Thai government cannot add a child to a passport of a foreign national. Only the country to which the passport belongs can do that.

Most Western countries will not do it and have started to implement that children from birth on now must have their own passport and cannot be entered onto the passport of one of the parents.

Your beliefs are not correct, my friend. Not at all.

Thanks for the reply.

I deal with them often...they are friendly and helpful while it is part of their job to resolve these sort of issues.

It seems it is the officials at the borders that are now obligated to scrutinize all the more people lately and into the future.

I was at the immigration complex yesterday asking some questions about the status of a child that re-entered through the airport last June 13th.

His passport has a 1 month stay granted at the airport so in effect his visa upon arrival is now finished.

Do not worry about this particular issue concerning the over stay of a child under 14 years old.

However, if you want it to be official then....and they explained the official procedure as how a child can be added onto the Fathers passport and immigration status or added on to the Mothers passport and her current immigration status.

It involves going to the Ministry of Foreign affairs ( located at the Cheangwatttana complex ) and requesting that the child be attached to the Mother or Fathers passport.

With those documents duly signed and copies in hand then the Father or Mother has to go to a Thai Embassy ( those damn embassy people again ) and apply for a 90 day Non "O" Visa.

Come back to Thailand and within the 90 days apply for the 1 year Non "O" extension that will coincide with Mother or Fathers visa status....so, when the Mother or Father is granted their next extension the child also is granted another 1 year extension...like that.

They expect them to be enforced....as that is the official position....as for children???...they are not sure about children but that issue will be discussed.

But for now they expect the new rules to be enforced for adults in violation of the new rules...."yeahk muck" .... they said...letting me know that they do not agree with these new rules at all.

Meantime I called up my visa agent, who goes to Chaengwattana every day ( as that is his everyday 24/7 business ) and he was available to meet me and I met him at a coffee shop near the Immigration complex.

He tells me, although the changes in the rules have upset or disrupted his usual format, it is business as usual and he is continuing to resolve peoples immigration issues ....for a price....a price that is a big convenience and well worth the cost.

Simply give him your passport and get what you asked for is the usual routine....with some exceptions depending on nationality and the ongoing restrictions for some nationalities.

Meantime, lately his hands have been tied a little but he expects most everything to fade back to business as usual....soon enough.

Those were his comments.

As he always says: It is all about money for services rendered by the immigration contacts plus the costs of his services rendered to the clients.

When I told him about how I was told by the immigration officials about how to obtain official status for a 20 month old child, who's 30 day visa upon arrival is now finished, he said the same thing he always says:

Give me the passports and agree to pay his price and pick up the passport(s) next week with everything in order....and no need to go to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and or go to a Thai embassy to apply for a 90 day Non "0" Visa.

To me the Immigration officials are like the tax officials...everything can be resolved with a smile and a price attached to the reciprocal smile.

Cheers

I'm not sure i understand.

You want my friend, with a nearly year overstay, to go to Chaeng Wattana, a place full of immigrations officers to try to get help? :o

Actually if understood correctly, as for today, all he have to do is have a plane ticket out of the country in his hand + the fine + a good laywer to make sure that he can get a visa to come back in and he's fine?

Cause he's biggest fear atm seems to not be able to come back (not because of being blacklisted but he's scared they won't let him have access to any kind of visa)

I will actually go with him next week in case something happens he wants me to tell to his girlfriend here so i will be able to make a report about how it went.

This might sound like a stupid question but if you take a plane inside the country (he plan on coming here to Chiang Mai and we go to bkk together) like Chiang Mai to BKK, do they check all passeports there? Sorry once again if this sound stupid.

Thanks all by the way

Thanks for the reply.

Those were his comments.

Cheers

You want my friend, with a nearly year overstay, to go to Chaeng Wattana, a place full of immigrations officers to try to get help? ohmy.png

Actually if understood correctly, as for today, all he have to do is have a plane ticket out of the country in his hand + the fine + a good laywer to make sure that he can get a visa to come back in and he's fine?

Cause he's biggest fear atm seems to not be able to come back (not because of being blacklisted but he's scared they won't let him have access to any kind of visa)

I will actually go with him next week in case something happens he wants me to tell to his girlfriend here so i will be able to make a report about how it went.

This might sound like a stupid question but if you take a plane inside the country (he plan on coming here to Chiang Mai and we go to bkk together) like Chiang Mai to BKK, do they check all passeports there? Sorry once again if this sound stupid.

Thanks all by the way

has your "friend" thought about the longer term i.e. if he gets a visa and can return to Thailand - what will he do when that expires? Seems he might get a year or so back in the country but then might run into some further problems - back to back tourist visas etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Those were his comments.

Cheers

You want my friend, with a nearly year overstay, to go to Chaeng Wattana, a place full of immigrations officers to try to get help? ohmy.png

Thanks all by the way

has your "friend" thought about the longer term i.e. if he gets a visa and can return to Thailand - what will he do when that expires? Seems he might get a year or so back in the country but then might run into some further problems - back to back tourist visas etc.

Didn't ask him but my guess would be that he try a tourist visa then get an ED... i don't know.