Electricity leakage kills Thai schoolboy beneath sports bleacher

webfact

Electricity Leakage Kills Schoolboy Beneath Sports Bleacher
By Khaosod English

14049850791404985257l.jpg
One student was killed and another was seriously injured after they were electrocuted by an electricity leakage from a cable that ran through a bleacher at a temple in Samut Prakan province, 10 July 2014.

14049850791404985276l.jpg

SAMUT PRAKARN — Police are investigating the case of a 14-year-old student who was electrocuted and killed by an electricity leakage underneath a bleacher at a temple in Samut Prakarn province.

Another student was also seriously injured by the leaked electricity, which police say was caused by a cable that passed through the bleacher and was illegally tapping electricity from a state utility pole.

Witnesses say the two students were taking shelter under sports stand inside Eiam Prachamit Temple during the heavy downpour yesterday afternoon. A school teacher said he noticed that something was amiss when he walked past the temple and saw the two students' hands gripping a pole of the sports stand in strange manner.

When he touched one of the students, the teacher said, he felt a sudden shock of electricity. The teacher then reportedly used a wooden stick to free the two boys, after which he sent them to hospital. One of the boys died at hospital, while the other remains in critical condition.

Police say an initial investigation reveals that the temple illegally tapped electricity from a nearby utility pole and that the power may have leaked out from the cable as it passed through the sports stand.

The police added that they are working to identify whoever is responsible for the illegal power tapping.

Narong Singsiri, director of Wat Laem Fa Pha School, where the victims were enrolled, said the school and temple were not aware of the tapping and would fully cooperate with the police to locate those responsible.

Mr. Narong also said that electricians are scouring the area to look for other possible electricity leakages to prevent further tragedies.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1404985079

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-07-10

• Like 2

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news.

Can someone makes sense of this article what actually happened? Wouldn't the stand be earthed?

If he / they made direct contact with the active (live) cable or the steel frame which must have been active then they became a path to earth and hence the electrocution.

Sad state of affairs but then no one in Thailand seems to care less about live cables etc. running everywhere - accidents waiting to happen.

Wise words considering your avatar.wink.png

The illegal tapping by its nature of just inserting wires into two connections would not have been grounded even if the original source had been grounded to 'earth' - especially in a probably wet concrete or dirt floor surrounded by a metal bleachers (as it seems) ... A total recipe for disaster ...

Almost daily I walk pass what could easily be 440 or 880 volt lines coming out of the concrete sidewalk on the tourist strip in Ao Nang, Krabi ... and the ends of the wires are just taped and the tape is coming loose ... Amazing - totally amazing ... And it is the rainy season ... Good Grief... I give it a wide berth.

Edited by JDGRUEN
  • Like 2

Sad news.

Can someone makes sense of this article what actually happened? Wouldn't the stand be earthed?

If he / they made direct contact with the active (live) cable or the steel frame which must have been active then they became a path to earth and hence the electrocution.

Sad state of affairs but then no one in Thailand seems to care less about live cables etc. running everywhere - accidents waiting to happen.

Isn't it just a stupid notice, do they collect before or after death?

• Like 1

Sad news.

Isn't it just a stupid notice, do they collect before or after death?

I think it would be post-cremation with such high voltage. Shocking anyway, eh?

Thai's use a different type of electricity to the rest of the world, it doesn't need to be earthed.

This was actually said by a Thai contractor as the condo building was going up.

You can bet your <deleted> the whole system in our house is grounded.

Any electrician knows that. Even in this country. I have seen that myth before that Thai electric does not need ground.

Most people are not willing to pay for the extra wire. Everything paeng, paeng paeng.

The thing is, no one cares. Except these children's parents.

Nothing is dangerous until something happens.

One kid dead, another nearly dead, a temple stealing electricity. The sad thing is nobody gives a damn in Thailand. Nothing will be done, no reflection on how Thailand's electrics are set up, electricians are trained, penalties for endangering lives etc. just continue as is.

• Like 2

Sorry but a picture's worth a thousand words. But here's 5. "Why am I not surprised?"

attachicon.gifwire1.jpgattachicon.gifwire2.jpgattachicon.gifwire3.jpgattachicon.gifwire4.jpgattachicon.gifwire5.jpg

Your pictures are of internet, TV cable and telephone lines not Electricity lines. But, they are still a big mess

Yes sir, well, I guess we'll all take your word for that that then. Thanks for the clarification.

They may not be high voltage transmission lines, but you can bet among those rats nests you will find electrical distribution wires leading to homes and businesses.

• Like 2

What the hell is a bleacher ?

Thought it was something you put in with the washing to make the whites whiter.

I believe there has in the last year or three been a law passed in Thailand that the electrical systems of all new buildings must be earthed and they must have 3 core wiring and 3 pin sockets.

Got that from a real properly trained Thai eletromanic, one of the good guys who does the job properly.

What the hell is a bleacher ?

You can't be expected to know as you are a Kiwi, but here's an explanation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleacher

• Like 1

In Thailand I never step in puddles for fear they may be electrified. Nor do I get in a bathtub, jacuzzi, or pool that is empty without checking it for electrical current first. Electrocutions are so common here. I guess I will have to start checking anything metal too, with the back of the hand.

Edited by NomadJoe

Has anyone estimated just how much electricity is actually stolen, I would not be surprised if it was over 50% of all electricity used.

Maybe the head of EGAT will be looking for another job tomorrow.

Edited by Basil B

The Thai Electrical Generating system is no different than any where else in Asia, or Europe.

Earthing and Bonding the neutral IS Required by MEA and PEA regulations (avaliable in line).

The problem is as usual the lack of enforcement.and inspection.

I am really supprised this does not happen more often here in The Kingdom.