Australia To Help Thailand Fight Terror

george

Australia to help Thailand fight terror

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA: -- Australia will help Thailand with new counter-terrorism and identity fraud measures, Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone says.

Senator Vanstone said cooperation between Australia and Thailand was important for the border protection of both nations because it would reduce the opportunity for terrorists to enter either country.

Senator Vanstone also announced, during her tour of the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok's new airport, increased levels of training cooperation to assist Thai documentation examiners.

"Australia is committed to improving regional security through the better arrangements of people movement," she said.

She said Australia was providing support for the newly established immigration training college in Bangkok.

To tackle the growing sophistication in identity fraud, staff at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Don Muang Airport, also in Bangkok, would be equipped with document examination equipment, and be provided with training, she said.

Australia and Thailand were also working together on a pilot program to better identify people crossing at key border check points, Senator Vanstone said.

She said this would help curb the trafficking of women and children.

Australia also will supply English language training for Thai Immigration Bureau officers.

--AAP 2006-06-28

When in doubt, bring in the Aussies, that bastion of world military power!

A couple of fishing trawlers and half a dozen pissed up rugby fans should do the trick!!!

:o:D:D

Oz are very good at certain aspects of security your post means what?

" Austrailia will also supply English language training" :o:D

Johnb

This caught my Eye too..... :D

OK. I know its a big job. But so far no one has been able to teach the Asians that "R" is not pronounced as "L".

And how do they get "kangaroo" pronounced as "jingjoe"??

" Austrailia will also supply English language training" :o:D

Johnb

This caught my Eye too..... :D

OK. I know its a big job. But so far no one has been able to teach the Asians that "R" is not pronounced as "L".

And how do they get "kangaroo" pronounced as "jingjoe"??

I was'nt aware Australians spoke English. At least, not the 'Original' version. Will the English be greeted with, "Welcome to Thailand, cobbers" by the immigration? :D

A couple of fishing trawlers and half a dozen pissed up rugby fans should do the trick!!!

:o:D:D

I knew aussies from a times gone by, they're a brave bunch of lads on the field of battle. To denigrate their military and their govt's prowness in this area makes one sound like those morons that are always pissing on the US of A

I was'nt aware Australians spoke English. At least, not the 'Original' version. Will the English be greeted with, "Welcome to Thailand, cobbers" by the immigration? :o

Which origional version do you prefer? The Cockney one, the Manchester one, the Liverpools one or the one spoken by the Royal family. (They did not speak English untill the 18th or 19th century.)

:D:D:D

A very banal and ignorant post Backpack. :o

I won't try to educate you about Australia's obvious expertise in counter terrorism, honed for the Sydney Olympics and extensively upgraded following the Bali bomb explosions aimed at Australians.

Australian federal officers, experts in anti terrorisim, have been working with and training personel in countries such as Thailand and Indonesia for many years.

However, as someone with substantial document fraud training in Australia, I can assure you we are in the forefront of the world in the field. Procedures and security measures developed in Australia are in use at airports throughout Europe and the Americas. Co-operation and shared technology between western countries is high. The latest version Australian passport is one of the most secure in existence.

Trained Australian Liaison Officers have been working with checkin staff at many world airports, such as Bangkok, for more than a decade.

"Australia is committed to improving regional security through the better arrangements of people movement," she said.

...the better arrangements of people movement... well that is absolutely clear....is this the sort of English the Australians will be teaching?

Australia and Thailand were also working together on a pilot program to better identify people crossing at key border check points, Senator Vanstone said.

This particular Senator is the one at the heart of the huge uproar at the deportation of AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS fom Australia because the numties in Immigration couldn't identify them... and we are going to get training for our Immigration people from the same crew? Great - that should help!

Note your comments that the expert skills in counter terrorism were honed for the Sydney Olympics and then upgraded after the Bali bombings...now read the next comment:

"Australian federal officers, experts in anti terrorisim, have been working with and training personel in countries such as Thailand and Indonesia for many years."

...many years prior to the attacks I guess...so maybe they are not quite as expert as they reckon...

The fact that there are few terrorist related incidents in Australia is not necessarily because the experts are so good - but more likely because even the terrorists can't be bothered with the place.

...no-one wants to go there..... :o

...the better arrangements of people movement... well that is absolutely clear....is this the sort of English the Australians will be teaching?

Many Thai press releases have fractured english. Hard to say if this was a correct or incorrect quote.

Either way a paltry comment.

This particular Senator is the one at the heart of the huge uproar at the deportation of AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS fom Australia because the numties in Immigration couldn't identify them... and we are going to get training for our Immigration people from the same crew? Great - that should help!

Certainly mistakes have been made with the temporary detention of people who refuse to provide correct ID or names. When the one Philipino woman who provided an incorrect ID was deported Senator Vanstone wasn't the Immigration minister. However she was in the hot seat when the shit hit the fan. (incidently, I don't consider her particularly competent, but, as a polly, just a mouthpiece for her portfolio)

Note your comments that the expert skills in counter terrorism were honed for the Sydney Olympics and then upgraded after the Bali bombings...now read the next comment:

"Australian federal officers, experts in anti terrorisim, have been working with and training personel in countries such as Thailand and Indonesia for many years."

In the ninties the focus of these personnel was mainly drugs and people smuggling from the region. Later world events dictated shifting of focus towards terrorism.

...many years prior to the attacks I guess...so maybe they are not quite as expert as they reckon...

You've invented your own interpretation here of my carefully chosen word "many"

The only major terrorist attack against Australia happened offshore. Anti terrorism procedures inside Australia have by and large been very successful.

The fact that there are few terrorist related incidents in Australia is not necessarily because the experts are so good - but more likely because even the terrorists can't be bothered with the place.

...no-one wants to go there..... :o

The last two comments are purile.

Yes Old Croc, you are right - I was in a Sh*tty mood and that rubbish coming out of Vanstones mouth just got to me...apologies.

My comment about the poor English was based on the quote - if the quote is incorrect or is a bad translation, then I stand corrected - no argument.

Senator Vanstone may not have been the Minister at the time of the original incarcerations and/or deportations (there were two of them reported in the popular media), but her responses and actions at the time the issue became public were ill considered at best, and downright incompetent at worst. I do not believe she should have been retained in the position, and that she should either have resigned or been sacked as a result of her handling of the situation.

I understand your point that the earlier training of the counter terrorism crew was aimed at drug and people smuggling, but I still don't see why that would make them experts in terrorism, certainly not more so than officers of countries that have a record of being targets for these fanatics - I seriously doubt that Australia is as high on the list as many Australians think.

I am fairly sure that my reading of the word "many" is correct. I didn't interpret it "many years" can only be taken one way. Perhaps you meant it differently, but the use of that phrase did make the earier remarks open to interpretation.

The fact that Australians (and many other nationalities) frequented certain Balinese tourist spots, cannot be interpretted as meaning that the attack was aimed at Australia - it was not an attack on "Australia" as such - it was an attack on Bali - a Hindu community frequented by many overseas visitors - perhaps sufficient in the fanatics mind to be a threat and anti-Islamic - thus a target.

I do still believe that the lack of terrorist activity in Australia is more simply because there is very little point and not enough to be gained by it from the fanatics point of view. It's also difficult to get into in any case, so why not go for easier targets like those within one's own country, like Bali?

When I was living in Australia, I felt that it was the centre of the world, the best place to be - and maybe way back then it had a chance of being that, but the reality now is sadly, very different - but it is a nice place to visit.

Edited by Greer

Greer

It may appear that I am an apologist for Vanstone or even the Howard Government. I can assure you this is not the case. I believe her to be bumbling and incompetent and that the government has set Australia back in many ways at a time when the chance has been there to become a larger and more important part of the international community. However, not Thai related.

The two issues of anti terrorism and border security are seperate but obviously interlinked. I've tried to give an overview of Australian officials working in SEA without going into too much detail.

There have been personnel from several agencies working with local authorities for many years on a variety of issues including drugs, people smuggling and terrorism activities. All are highly trained in their field. There is very good reason why Australian Federal Police and forensic experts have led investigations into bombings in Indonesia. These same people were called upon by Britain to assist after the bombings there last year because of their expertese and experience gained in Bali.

In Bali 88 of the 202 killed in the first bombings of western nightclubs were Australian. Those bombings were aimed at westerners not hindus.

For approx 15 years Australia has had staff working at airports in SEA and elsewhere (usually the final port before departure to Australia) These people are known as Airline Liaison Officers and work with airline checkin staff and local Immigration staff to help identify dodgy documents and dodgy people trying to get to Australia. The job has a strong training element of locals. The Ministers comments about providing equipment and doc fraud training at Bangkoks new airport is an extension of the job already being done. I will reiterate Australia is in the fore front in this field.

Finally Australia is considered to be at high risk as a target because of our blind following of Bush into Afghanistan and Iraq and our major role in establishing the independence of East Timor.

We are a difficult target because of a lack of land borders and highly trained anti terrorist forces. Bali is a soft target and has a constant stream of western tourists.

(At least I've learned to spell puerile since my last post. :o )

The Ministers comments about providing equipment and doc fraud training at Bangkoks new airport is an extension of the job already being done. I will reiterate Australia is in the fore front in this field.

I’d rather think that because Bangkok is the major route for transit passengers from EU, USA, and Asia before entering Australia and not because Australians are highly competent in these fields as stated.

The Ministers comments about providing equipment and doc fraud training at Bangkoks new airport is an extension of the job already being done. I will reiterate Australia is in the fore front in this field.

I’d rather think that because Bangkok is the major route for transit passengers from EU, USA, and Asia before entering Australia and not because Australians are highly competent in these fields as stated.

I am sure the traing given by the Ausies will continue to be world class.

As an incentive to make the pupils pay attention. The instructors put a photo of Senator Vanstone on the screen and tell the students that if they fall asleep or fail the exam the honourable senator will come and visit their children at night and give the kids nightmares for months. :o

Chang paarp - you are absolutely right...! Gawd...a Vanstone nightmare would banish all thoughts of sleep for me too...argh!

Old Croc, I bow to your efforts - you have done very well in stating your case and that side of the story. I am not being facetious (hey - I looked that up and found I had spelt it correctly...!) I really do mean it - well done.

I guess we all have our opinions and although my opinion of Australian government ineptitude will likely never waver, I do accept your position on it and your pride in their work - fair enough.

You make your point well.

You are absolutely right about the reasons that Australia would be a target, and as stated, that it is safer due to the lack of land borders - yes, the point I was making as well.

I still sometimes think it may be similar to the chap selling elephant repellant in England "But we don't have any elephants in England." ... "Effective isn't it!"

...it's ok - I'm just kidding again... :o

/edit - spelling of ineptitude - can't win 'em all

Edited by Greer