Plot to blow up Eiffel Tower foiled, say French police

webfact

Plot to blow up Eiffel Tower foiled, say French police
Henry Samuel

PARIS: -- France foiled an Islamist terrorist plot to target the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and even a nuclear power plant, it emerged as the country unveiled new, tougher anti-terror rules.

French police stumbled on the plans after decrypting coded messages between a 29-year-old Algerian butcher living in the Vaucluse area of southern France, known only as Ali M, and one of the highest-ranking members in al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.

According to Le Parisien newspaper, in April last year, the married father of two, who went by the pseudonym Abu Jaji was asked by his AQIM contact, whose web alias was Redouane18, to make "suggestions concerning how to conduct jihad in the place you are currently".

Ali M suggested targeting nuclear power plants, "planes at the moment of take-off", and a string of French landmarks, including the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre museum in Paris.

In an apparent reference to the famed Avignon theatre festival, he also singled out "cultural events that take place in the south of France in which thousands of Christians gather for a month".

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/plot-to-blow-up-eiffel-tower-foiled-say-french-police-20140711-zt3ri.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-07-11

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eiffel Tower and Louvre terror plot foiled

PARIS: -- The French intelligence services say they have uncovered a plot by jihadists to blow up the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and even a nuclear plant in France last summer.

Details of the plan were hidden in encrypted messages between an Algerian butcher living in south-east France and a high ranking officer from Al Qaeda.

This comes before the French government set out the parameters of new surveillance legislation giving them powers to monitor jihadist websites.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28241855

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-07-11

Sounds like a couple of idiots pissing about on the net. Nothing else to it.

Unless the contact was CIA etc. looking to catch a fish and highlight the need for more money to fight the war on terror.

was asked by his AQIM contact, whose web alias was Redouane18, to make "suggestions concerning how to conduct jihad in the place you are currently".

The plots to establish an enemy stereotype are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day... Back in 2001 they had some serious fireworks going on to drum the whole world into hailing the invasion of a clueless middle east country, by now they are down to "a friend told me that a friend told him..."

Bbbboring! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

As I recall the Eiffel Tower is quote substantial, it would probable need at least a few tons of well placed shaped charges to bring it down, obviously some kids on the internet just caught the French with their knickers in twist.

I think even CDI would run a mile if asked to bring it down.

Edited by Basil B

I would love somebody to blow up the Eiffel Tower [without fatalities of course]. I was a member of Greenpeace at the time the French sank The Rainbow Warrior and although they murdered some Greenpeace members I would not like to see any more deaths.

But oh what fun - the Eiffel Tower lying flat on the ground.

Will still get the Tourists just call it the Sleeping Eiffel

I wonder how many hicks and rednecks have talked about blowing up places in Islamic nations (after getting out an atlas) online over the past 13 years.

While in these Islamic nations?

While in these Islamic nations what?

Were those "hicks and rednecks" talking about blowing up places in Islamic nations while living in those Islamic nations?

I wonder how many hicks and rednecks have talked about blowing up places in Islamic nations (after getting out an atlas) online over the past 13 years.

While in these Islamic nations?

While in these Islamic nations what?

Were those "hicks and rednecks" talking about blowing up places in Islamic nations while living in those Islamic nations?

Dude is obviously dealing with personal issues being projected here. Haha, hicks and rednecks might shoot you if you break into their house, but they are not out their bombing train stations, high jacking airliners and blowing up markets trying to kill as many women and children as possible.

How many suicide redneck bombers do we hear about? Good ole boys got better sense than that and good ole boys are more interested in beer and shooting a deer than harming other people.

Unfortunate, some in this world have no other goal in life than to cause terror and harm others. These aren't the red neck and hicks. Most of these seem to be Muslim.

As I recall the Eiffel Tower is quote substantial, it would probable need at least a few tons of well placed shaped charges to bring it down, obviously some kids on the internet just caught the French with their knickers in twist.

I think even CDI would run a mile if asked to bring it down.

*Deleted post edited out*

I think the tower would be much easier to bring down. Take out one or two legs and weight may do work for you. I have heard that the parking garage bomb in WTC could have potential worked given precise placement.

Edited by Scott
Deleted post edit out