50-year-old elephant killed for tusks in Ayutthaya

webfact

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to see this method of Tusk removal. Usually the illegal activity consists of complete removal of the tusks which would yield much more value on the Black market. It looks like a quick removal by some ammature to saw them off and leaving behind at least another 18 inches. If the purpotrador just wanted the tusks removed as seen in the photo I don't think he would have had to kill this beautiful creature which apparently was tied-up. I hope they find this guy and mount a tusk up his ass.

• Like 1

why did they leave so much of that one tusk compared to the other?

Shows that they didn't intend on killing the elephant.. in order to cut the bottom tusk higher up they would either have to turn the elephant over (impossible in this situation) or they would have had to have risked damaging the elephants trunk. ie: the trunk was in the way.. the upper tusk was unimpeded by the trunk so they could safely take more without risk of harming the elephant. Note that even on the upper tusk, they did not cut all the way back because they did not want to expose the nerve.

Those in the elephant community believe that this was an accidental overdose of anaesthetic, they were trying to knock the elephant out to take the tusks, but had no intention of killing the elephant.

Edited by snowpea83

Shows that they didn't intend on killing the elephant.. in order to cut the bottom tusk higher up they would either have to turn the elephant over (impossible in this situation) or they would have had to have risked damaging the elephants trunk. ie: the trunk was in the way.. the upper tusk was unimpeded by the trunk so they could safely take more without risk of harming the elephant. Note that even on the upper tusk, they did not cut all the way back because they did not want to expose the nerve.

Those in the elephant community believe that this was an accidental overdose of anaesthetic, they were trying to knock the elephant out to take the tusks, but had no intention of killing the elephant.

So what. The ivory still looks better on the elephant than on some rich hi-so's wall.

So what. The ivory still looks better on the elephant than on some rich hi-so's wall.

completely agree.. which is why Thailand needs to change its domestic ivory laws... The fact that someone can buy this ivory legally in Thailand is disgusting!

Or if he happens to be Catholic, go to confession, say 20 'Hail Marys' and then back to killing,stealing,whatever it goes etc

Yes Thailand - West all the same-same, after all, whom isn't familiar with the image of someone becoming a priest at his own will, maybe for just a week end and those ones going killing muslims and burning down their houses or again the gangsters becoming priests just to avoid the prisons.....

Make us a favour and just change your lenses when you have a chance, will you?

Here is the big whining for an elephant, but no one care how pigs for meat are treated or how the killings for halal beef is done....

Yes there should be a massive attack on the ivory trade, as for saluting pigs and beef for food, well that's another thing, do you know how an abattoir works? I do I worked on one for a few years, and they have changed a hell of a lot in most modern county's since I was in them.

• Like 1

The mahout forgot to add first that he was paid to leave his elephant chained by the river and told not to come back till morning. There's no way these mahouts would leave their elephants out of sight.

I suggest you get your facts right before youake such an assumption!! This mahout is a great guy, very experienced and respected in the mahout community all over Thailand. He is responsible for all the dangerous elephants and those who cannot be rehabilitated. This is absolutely disgusting and I am very shocked and saddened by this story. This elephant lived down by the river at night time so that he can enjoy his own peace and quiet. You do not know the facts so keep your remarks to yourself until you do!!!

Ayutthaya elephant poisoned for ivory

By Digital Content

14050586989385.jpg

AYUTTHAYA, July 11 -- A male elephant was found dead inside the compound of the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal in this central province today, and the authorities believe the elephant was poisoned for its ivory.

Police officers from Ayutthaya Police Station inspected the scene at Suan Prik subdistrict, Phra Nakhon Sri Ayutthaya district, finding a male elephant named Klao, age 50, dead near a small woods, next to the elephant kraal. Both of its tusks were cut off and taken away.

The tusks were about 5-6 inches in diameter. Police believe the elephant was dead for at least 9-10 hours before being discovered.

The authorities surmised that the suspects must have drugged the elephant during the night and waited until it fell before cutting away its tusks.

Ayutthaya Elephant Palace & Royal Kraal owner Laithongrian Meephan said the deceased elephant came to live at the camp in 1999, but was kept for only special occasions as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant.

The owner said each tusk have been at least 1 metre in length.

He pleaded for the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to help with the case, as the council has asked for cooperation in restraining from possessing weapons, making it difficult to keep the culprits at bay.

At present, the police are inspecting whether the elephant was poisoned, and will track the suspects to ensure success in making an arrest. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-11

Looking at this poor elephant.... as he resembles a mighty elephant, Phraya Kotchasarn, the Great Elephant .it dosent look to much like the Mighty Elephant in this pic.... i say a decent feed would have done wonders..maybe it starved to death.. and someone ?, took the op to take the tusks

I do love a good elephant expert!!! Please note the sarcasm....

Here is the big whining for an elephant, but no one care how pigs for meat are treated or how the killings for halal beef is done....

You are bloody pathetic, let's see how many likes this gets.

The mahout forgot to add first that he was paid to leave his elephant chained by the river and told not to come back till morning. There's no way these mahouts would leave their elephants out of sight.

I suggest you get your facts right before youake such an assumption!! This mahout is a great guy, very experienced and respected in the mahout community all over Thailand. He is responsible for all the dangerous elephants and those who cannot be rehabilitated. This is absolutely disgusting and I am very shocked and saddened by this story. This elephant lived down by the river at night time so that he can enjoy his own peace and quiet. You do not know the facts so keep your remarks to yourself until you do!!!

Who pissed in your Cheerios?? Who isn't disgusted with this? Take a pill.

• Like 1

Hunt for elephant killer continues
The Sunday Nation

30238373-01_big.jpg

Ayutthaya police yesterday interviewed mahouts at the Ayutthaya Elephant Palace and Royal Kraal in relation to the poising death of a 50-year-old male elephant that had its tusks sawn off on Friday.

The animal appeared in the Oliver Stonedirected Alexander the Great.

So far, no one has been arrested.

Police urged ivory buyers and shops to cooperate with the investigation and help locate the culprit(s).

The Ayutthaya Elephant Palace and Royal Kraal yesterday moved all its elephants to Phraya Phetch Island, where 24-hour security is in place.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Hunt-for-elephant-killer-continues-30238373.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-13

Death penalty!

So there is an ivory market here. The NCPO is already too busy.

Most of the world's poached ivory comes through Thailand to be distributed to China and the Middle East.

The foreign ivory market isn't here, but a lot of the distribution is. Thailand needs to stop legal sales of domestic ivory as well as

the import tusks.

Edited by duanebigsby

Death penalty!

Most of the world's poached ivory comes through Thailand to be distributed to China and the Middle East.

The foreign ivory market isn't here, but a lot of the distribution is. Thailand needs to stop legal sales of domestic ivory as well as

the import tusks.

Of course you know that as a fact, meaning you can back up your statement with irrefutable proof, correct?

Death penalty!

the import tusks.

Of course you know that as a fact, meaning you can back up your statement with irrefutable proof, correct?

Don't know what you consider irrefutable. Because Thailand allows domestic ivory sales, it opens it up to launder illegal sales here.

It is the gateway to Asia's ivory trade.

http://wwf.panda.org/?225332/Last-chance-for-Thailand-to-tackle-illegal-ivory-trade

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/asia/article4136877.ece

http://www.traffic.org/home/2013/8/11/legal-reform-must-shut-down-thailands-ivory-trade.html

Edited by duanebigsby

Ahh quick witted but no plausible reply.... I don't need to take a pill love but you should curb your slanderous mouth. You know nothing about the guy you were quick to label just like you know nothing about the life of a mahout. Spreading nasty rumours is not the way to go how would like it?? Sadly these people are not in the position to answer posts like that to defend themselfs. But I dare you to say to his face what you said on here!.... yea I thought not.

Ahh quick witted but no plausible reply.... I don't need to take a pill love but you should curb your slanderous mouth. You know nothing about the guy you were quick to label just like you know nothing about the life of a mahout. Spreading nasty rumours is not the way to go how would like it?? Sadly these people are not in the position to answer posts like that to defend themselfs. But I dare you to say to his face what you said on here!.... yea I thought not.
Close to home enough for me. It appears to be an inside job. Yep, pardon me for pinning it on the mahout when it was his buddies working at the same place. I wonder if your mahout friend attended the bridge party reported in the updates?

I would never think of accusing the mahout to his face because elephant camps where they chain up elephants for 'safety' and call them working elephants for a one week appearance in a major motion movie production or carrying tourists on their back while making paper from poop is not where I'd waste my time.

If you think posting opinions on TV as spreading nasty rumors as if it were a national security ordeal then it's about time to get out of the cave (with wifi) for some fresh air.

Edited by tomyummer
  • Like 1

Might be lucky for tomyummer that the mahout doesn't see his post as he might well end up fighting slander suit, which would be poetic justice. Edited by Artisi
  • Like 2

Might be lucky for tomyummer that the mahout doesn't see his post as he might well end up fighting slander suit, which would be poetic justice.

Yikes. You're right. He's probably just bought his new ipad and signing up for his new TV account. I'm sorry for insulting you Mr. Mahout. I meant it for your friends that work in the same camp that are apparently now under suspicion. Next time tell your buddies to learn how real poachers extract the whole tusk to reach a higher value for the tusks on the black market. Again, many apologies.

Edited by tomyummer
  • Like 1