Swim in the moat?

jobin

I was in there for the first couple of Songkrans that i was here for, and have lived to tell the tale.

Before Songkran the local government makes a special effort to aerate the water (bacteria don't like oxygen) and otherwise treat the water so it isn't too hazardous. Even then people avoid getting the foul stuff in their eyes and mouths. That doesn't mean that swimming in the moat will definitely make you ill, but it increases the chances.

• Like 1

Ear infection / treatment drops are not very easy to come by in CM, I wouldn't.

Wearing one of these is highly recommended. http://libarynth.org/_media/chemical-protective-suit.jpg

'Ear infection / treatment drops are not very easy to come by in CM....'

Really?

A bit off topic but my dog has just developed an ear infection.

Any one any ideas on where to obtain drops before seeking medical advice: no vehicle to transport him?

Appreciated....

Swim in the moat ? I wouldn't even swim in the Ping River, neither would I eat fish from the commercial farms on the Ping south of CM city.

Unless there were regular readings of water quality.Having said that you can see kids swimming all the time in the klongs in Bangkok which are no more than open sewers.

Maybe Thais have a bacteria resistant gene.

Ear infection / treatment drops are not very easy to come by in CM, I wouldn't.

Wearing one of these is highly recommended. http://libarynth.org/_media/chemical-protective-suit.jpg

'Ear infection / treatment drops are not very easy to come by in CM....'

Really?

A bit off topic but my dog has just developed an ear infection.

Any one any ideas on where to obtain drops before seeking medical advice: no vehicle to transport him?

Appreciated....

The pharmacy opposite the main entrance to Suan Dok Hospital / Maharaj.

Why not go to the lakes instead? Safer, cleaner, nicer environment, and no car pollution.

You do know why most Thai's go into the water at Huay Tung Tao don't you?

whistling.gif

No. And I thought you were going to enlighten us.

Every time I go, its only me and my kids swimming (or rubber ringing wrt my kids) - and the odd Thai school boy - adult Thais sit eat and drink and go again. Free toilet next to the lakes helps :)

There was an article in National Geographic about people bathing in the Ganges river in India with all of the pollution and the remains of partially cremated bodies. It seems that after a period of time, the body builds up a resistance to all of this crap.

There was an article in National Geographic about people bathing in the Ganges river in India with all of the pollution and the remains of partially cremated bodies. It seems that after a period of time, the body builds up a resistance to all of this crap.

The Ganges is a very fast flowing river with very fresh beginnings. Most of the remains and pollution would wash away without much trace.

It's not the same as the Chiang Mai moats. Just the rats piss in there would be enough to put your body into toxic shock if you have any open wounds.

Just the same (and back on topic) I would NOT swim in the moats.

Huay Tung Taew lake is a very good choice. Swam there many times without incident.

The wonderful little pharmacy just inside Thapae Gate, on the left side as you go down Ratchadamnern St carries two different formulation of anti-biotic ear drops, one stronger than the other.

I have to ask did you swim in the moat and find the need for them.tongue.png

but yes that is a very good pharmacy. I believe it is run by two sisters.

It's not the rat piss I'd be worried about, but all the dog excrement. Have you ever noticed how many people walk their dogs along the moat? Where do you think that e-coli ends up?

If you really have the urge, wait until Songkran time. They do seem to make an effort to clean it up somewhat then.

The wonderful little pharmacy just inside Thapae Gate, on the left side as you go down Ratchadamnern St carries two different formulation of anti-biotic ear drops, one stronger than the other.

I have to ask did you swim in the moat and find the need for them.tongue.png

but yes that is a very good pharmacy. I believe it is run by two sisters.

No, no swiming in the moat for me. I prefer water cleaner than raw sewerage.

Common misconception that it 'was' run by two sisters. Not so. Just good friends. Now one of them has gotten married and moved away from Chiang Mai, leaving the other busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger. She's an excellent pharmacist, and always seems to come up with the very best remedy for whatever ails me.