GPS navigation

nedkellylives

Not sure if it's still there, but I bought a Garmin Nuvi (very good) from a place next to the Canon shop on the 1st floor of Central a few years ago. It was a high spec version, about 17 or 18,000 baht if memory serves me correctly.

An alternative of course is to use a 'smart phone' with 3G connection (using a 12v car charger to maintain battery life).

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Se-ed books sell Garmin products. There's a branch at Homepro Chalong.

I bought the bottom of the range Nuvi 40 a couple of years back and I'm happy with it. Currently using it in England after simply inserting a UK map SD card.

Cost under 4,000 baht

Edited by madmitch

Ned,

Try this from the Garmin site:

The Quick Start Manual:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//nuvi_35xx_QSM_EN.pdf

The Full Manual (88 pages):

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac//nuvi_3500_OM_EN.pdf

Yours is a 3500 series and the different digits represent different regional maps and power cord plug-in types.

Cheers

Edited by ClutchClark

Ned,

The Quick Start Manual:

Yours is a 3500 series and the different digits represent different regional maps and power cord plug-in types.

Cheers

Thanks for that mate, its currenty in Thai and i do not even know how to change it to english

Easier to pay someone to set it up for me if someone knows how

Happy to go anywhere in phuket to have it done

Ned,

The Quick Start Manual:

Cheers

Its in Thai at present and i do not even know how to change it to english

Happy to pay someone to set it up for me and happy to travel to have it done anywhere in Phuket

If it's similar to the Nuvi 40, there's a language selection in the settings. Get a Thai person to find that, change it to English and you'll be fine.

But, it is possible that you have the Thai map installed as well. Not all are dual language. There are ways of changing this but I took the simple option as I was going to Bangkok and had it changed free of charge at the Garmin offices near Silom.

If it's similar to the Nuvi 40, there's a language selection in the settings. Get a Thai person to find that, change it to English and you'll be fine.

But, it is possible that you have the Thai map installed as well. Not all are dual language. There are ways of changing this but I took the simple option as I was going to Bangkok and had it changed free of charge at the Garmin offices near Silom.

Managed after playing around to change it to english

have not worked out how to set it to travel to required destination

Once it finishes charging i will go bavck to the shop and ask them how to do it

dont like my luck but worth a try, maybe Banana IT know how to set and operate it

dont like my luck but worth a try, maybe Banana IT know how to set and operate it

Need to know how to set enter and search for a destination?

Quick Start Guide page 5: http://static.garmin...35xx_QSM_EN.pdf

Got a Garmin in Tesco nr Kathu a few years ago, couldn't do my job without it now. It's the Thai version but I just changed the language to English, something the chap said in the shop couldn't be done. But the map and search index is in Thai, which is not a problem for me as I use the raw coordinates. Cost about 4000 baht.

SDM

Need to know how to set enter and search for a destination?

Quick Start Guide page 5: http://static.garmin...35xx_QSM_EN.pdf

thanks, i have tried to find Khao Lak but i cannot find it

garmin has a different name for the place i think

New toy i will work it out eventually

I have the Garmin, the Thai version. In practice this has meant that although I can change the spoken language to English and the system menus to English, the map database remains in Thai. This makes it very hard to select a place name as we would on a system with an English map database.

For me because I travel around Phuket I have to take the GPS co ordinates of each of our properties anyway so it's easy to program the unit up with raw GPS co ordinates and save the location in favourights.

If your system has the Thai map the only way around this is to replace the map with an English version. However if you can't be bothered all you need to do is to find where you want to go using something like Google Earth, take down the GPS co ordinates (two sets of numbers, for Phuket they normally start 07.xxxxxx and 98.xxxx). Once you have this you can program the device to go to that location. Incidentally on the device set up there are three formats of GPS co ordinates , from memory it's the top format you want. The first set you enter is 07.xxxxx, but the lower number for this part of the world anyway.

If this solves your problem PM me and I will give you specific point by point instructions of how to set the device up and how to find and enter a location using GPS co ordinates.

SDM

PS I have looked up Khao Lak and it's North 08.64987, East 98.25233

PPS if you run these coordinates in Google Map or other software don't bother the the East and North, but the Garmin will want them

Edited by SDM0712

I have the Garmin, the Thai version. In practice this has meant that although I can change the spoken language to English and the system menus to English, the map database remains in Thai. This makes it very hard to select a place name as we would on a system with an English map database.

For me because I travel around Phuket I have to take the GPS co ordinates of each of our properties anyway so it's easy to program the unit up with raw GPS co ordinates and save the location in favourights.

If your system has the Thai map the only way around this is to replace the map with an English version. However if you can't be bothered all you need to do is to find where you want to go using something like Google Earth, take down the GPS co ordinates (two sets of numbers, for Phuket they normally start 07.xxxxxx and 98.xxxx). Once you have this you can program the device to go to that location. Incidentally on the device set up there are three formats of GPS co ordinates , from memory it's the top format you want. The first set you enter is 07.xxxxx, but the lower number for this part of the world anyway.

If this solves your problem PM me and I will give you specific point by point instructions of how to set the device up and how to find and enter a location using GPS co ordinates.

SDM

PS I have looked up Khao Lak and it's North 08.64987, East 98.25233

PPS if you run these coordinates in Google Map or other software don't bother the the East and North, but the Garmin will want them

Thanks for that information, we drove to Khao Lak today and as we travelled

new destinations were available on the unit as we changed areas

as we got closer to Khao lak all the local listings were available

Just a test run, we will be heading up to Cha Am in a few days and I

want to find the Thai Bamboo guesthouse/resort which is pet friendly

but a bit out of the way