Who Are The Most Patriotic Nations

snoophound

I appreciate your comments, Ya5702, but as an American female minority I really don't know if I agree with you. There are many American minorities and majority communities alike who do not agree with the Government, ESPECIALLY on foreign policy and war. There is A LOT of dissent, but people from other countries don't see or hear about it.

Many of the kids that sign up for the military do so before there is a war, as a way to get good free training and benefits. There are others who sign up precisely because we are at war - such as the case in Afghanistan - but I don't think they are the majority.

But still, I must say, even with my leftist perspective and anti-foreign policy outlook towards the American Government, I am proud of the guys who do go off to fight (I never used to be, but it takes a lot of guts and commitment). Foreign policy blunders are not their mistake. We hear a lot about their mistakes and bad judgements, but there's a lot more who are out there giving it their best under the most dire circumstances, and I'm proud of them. (geez, I sound exactly like the patriotic drones I wish to avoid, but I must say, I do give those guys credit).

And, that goes for all the guys from every nationality who are out there at war risking their lives right now. I give them much respect.

*edit - a bunch of typos

Think if they had a war and NOBODY came. ;.)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-8092-1151586679.jpg

Not that flying a flag is the most relevant behavior to being patriotic, but I see more Thai flags flying in Thailand than I have seen other home-country flags flying in any country I've been to.

You have never been to my home town, Derry in Ireland.

Especially around marching season every house has a Tri colour flying, all the murals are repainted and even the footpaths are painted.

Edited by tayto

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

Having been in the army and met many great people of the four nations i always like to say i am British rather than English. ( early sixties )

Incidently i was attached to some of the famous Scottish regiments on several occasions and found the soldiers very good mates once you overcame the usual and initial hostilities.

The Royal Scots and the Black Watch come to mind and i have many happy memories of times gone by that i,m very proud of.

Remembering reveillie to the sound of the pipes and feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up at tatoo,s ect. even today is an awesome experience.

How i ever survived from it all i often wonder as they where crazy and exciting times for all of us.

As a tribute to them all i always make a point of saying i am British and if anyone asks for a further breakdown, tell them i am a Yorkie from South Yorkshire rather than say i,m English, and proud of being one, ex miner and all...............................................

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

I'm Scottish, although my passport says I'm British - I think you'll find many people who, like me, don't really consider themselves British.

My passport also says British but I consider myself English first and foremost. :o

My passport says USA but when I'm asked what country I'm from I say NEW YORK CITY.

WHich country is the most patriotic is I think an impossiblke qiestion to answer and maybe not the most interesting. Better questions are -- what are the differences in how patriotism manifests itself among different nationalities? How do local/regional patriotism stack up against national in different places?

A life long New Yorker, I joined the US foreign service in the 1980's and was posted to Bangladesh. While I didn;t exactly enjoy living in Bangladesh I didn't find the place or the people all that strange. But I had MAJOR culture shock with the US foreign service community, almost all of whom hailed from the mid-west.

What amazes me the most is that many of the most patriotic nationals, I'm thinking of Koreans, Chinese, Thais etc . . . are the first to jump at the chance to get PR in the US/UK/Aus/NZ/SG etc . . .

Patriotism up to the point of jingoism and then xenophobia . . . but . . .

people that are overly patriotic bore me too tears.i think that i may have even partly gone travelling to escape that mentality.

i wonder what the burmese or cambodians,make of the word "patriotic" :o

From my relationships with both, they relate to it as love of country, which they feel quite strongly. Why do you ask?

people that are overly patriotic bore me too tears.i think that i may have even partly gone travelling to escape that mentality.

From my relationships with both, they relate to it as love of country, which they feel quite strongly. Why do you ask?

Sadly it is what they are TOLD to think and they can never express what they think individually.

When you go to Burma ( Myanmar ) the ordinary Burmese display what a gentle loving people they are.

They are also very frightened of the hidden authoritarion officials that filter among them.

Cambodia is also controlled although from appearances, not on the scale in Burma.

The genuine love of both for their fellow citizens ect. and a willingness to get on together is however, obvious.

marshbags :D:D:D

Sadly it is what they are TOLD to think and they can never express what they think individually.

When you go to Burma ( Myanmar ) the ordinary Burmese display what a gentle loving people they are.

They are also very frightened of the hidden authoritarion officials that filter among them.

Cambodia is also controlled although from appearances, not on the scale in Burma.

The genuine love of both for their fellow citizens ect. and a willingness to get on together is however, obvious.

We seem to be talking about different countries. The Cambodia I mean is due east of Thailand. It is also my second home & has been for decades. There, people talk very readily and freely about politics. OK, they won'tt insult Hun Sen to his face or in front of one of his body guards but that's about it. They'll certainly say plenty about him, out loud, in just about any other context. I talk politics all the time with not only my friends but total strangers.

On the other hand, "love of both for their fellow citizens ect. and a willingness to get on together "" ???? You must be kidding!! The most patriotic of Khmer will be the first to admit that Cambodians do not rtrust each other and have never been any good at getting along except when united by an outside threat. In fact one of their favorite jokes about themselves concerns knowing they've reached home because they see a street fight.

And although my contacts with Burma are nowhere near as close with Cambodia, I didn't find them to have much love amongst each other either, even back before the last few decades of repression tore apart any vestige of social trust. They are just more likely to repress their feelings and try to maintain a facade of getting along whereas the Cambodians will openly go at it.

Getting off topic, I know.

Anyhow -- although I think you're way off on the degree of control/repression in Cambodia (and believe me, I hate Hun Sen more than words can say) at least I understand what your post was getting at. But surely patriotism as a feeling and outward displays (voluntary or otherwise) are utterly differnt things. I thought this thread was about actual patriotism?....

We seem to be talking about different countries. The Cambodia I mean is due east of Thailand. It is also my second home & has been for decades. There, people talk very readily and freely about politics. OK, they won'tt insult Hun Sen to his face or in front of one of his body guards but that's about it. They'll certainly say plenty about him, out loud, in just about any other context. I talk politics all the time with not only my friends but total strangers.

On the other hand, "love of both for their fellow citizens ect. and a willingness to get on together "" ???? You must be kidding!! The most patriotic of Khmer will be the first to admit that Cambodians do not rtrust each other and have never been any good at getting along except when united by an outside threat. In fact one of their favorite jokes about themselves concerns knowing they've reached home because they see a street fight.

And although my contacts with Burma are nowhere near as close with Cambodia, I didn't find them to have much love amongst each other either, even back before the last few decades of repression tore apart any vestige of social trust. They are just more likely to repress their feelings and try to maintain a facade of getting along whereas the Cambodians will openly go at it.

Getting off topic, I know.

Anyhow -- although I think you're way off on the degree of control/repression in Cambodia (and believe me, I hate Hun Sen more than words can say) at least I understand what your post was getting at. But surely patriotism as a feeling and outward displays (voluntary or otherwise) are utterly differnt things. I thought this thread was about actual patriotism?....

I don,t have any problem with your take on what you see Sheryl as we all have different experiences.

I spent a lot of time in Burma and the Burmese i came into contact with over a 2 year period are described in my post based on my experiences there.

Without going to much off topic, my view on Cambodia was based on my contact with people during my visits there, which is as i saw it at the time.

According to the Oxford dictionary by the way the following is what patriorism / being patriotic is meant to be.

Quote :- patriot n. person devoted to and ready to defend his or her country. patriotic adj. patriotically adv. patriotism n. [Greek patris fatherland]

This is what i take it to mean also. and if my comments seem off topic in a literal sense, i was responding to actual quotes rather than spoil the flow of the thread which is providing different takes the true meaning.

How football fans can be described as patriotic when lots among them couldn,t care less about everyday happenings that effect it,s citizens is a different patriorism to how i interpret the use of the word, as one example.

It has to be insensitive at the very least doing this when talking about people who really are devoted to their country and the well being of it,s citizens and undermines the good work they all do.

Please let,s not start using political examples of what is going on in the world today as i would hope that,s not what i,m getting at.

It would also need a thread of it,s own in my humble opinion.

Apologies if my comments appear off topic and no offence intended.

Thanks to you all.

Edited by marshbags