Thailand faces trade ban over ivory failings:

Lite Beer

Thailand faces trade ban over ivory failings:
by Jonathan FOWLER

GENEVA, July 11, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand faces an international wildlife trade ban unless it reins in its ivory sector, which is a magnet for traffickers, global regulator CITES said on Friday.

"There have been years without any real action on the ground when it comes to controlling the illegal ivory market," said Oeystein Stoerkersen, chairman of CITES's governing body.

The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora has set Thailand an August 2015 deadline to fall into line or risk wide-ranging sanctions.

Bangkok is under additional pressure to report back by January on steps to bolster recent laws on registering ivory importers, traders and legal stockpiles, that CITES claims are insufficient.

"Without that, Thailand will face a ban, and a suspension of all trade no matter what commodity it is, of the 35,000 species listed with CITES," he told reporters.

A ban would prevent the country trading anything appearing on that list with another country, including orchids and exotic wood, which are significant export products for Thailand.

"I think that is a strong signal," said Stoerkersen, adding that Thai diplomats at the talks had acknowledged that their country needed to do more.

But environmental campaigner WWF said the body should have hit Thailand harder, given that

Bangkok pledged last year to smash the illegal trade but the quantities of ivory on sale rose sharply.

"A suspension of trade in all CITES goods from Thailand would have been justified," said WWF analyst Colman O'Criodain.

Current Thai law allows ivory from domesticated Thai elephants to be sold, making it simple to launder poached African ivory, WWF said.

"Thailand's market is fuelling the illegal assault on African elephants," said O'Criodain.

The decision on Thailand came as delegates wrapped up a week-long CITES conference on trade in endangered species.

Earlier this week, CITES chief John Scanlon told AFP that elephants would be wiped out in some parts of Africa unless more countries got involved in efforts to prevent poaching and smuggling.

Over the past three years, more than 60,000 African elephants have been killed, far outstripping their birth rate.

Crime syndicates and militias in Africa have become increasingly involved in the multi-billion-dollar illicit trade, taking advantage of Asian demand for ivory to use in decorations and traditional medicines.

- 'Next generation will not forgive us' -

Stoerkersen said Thailand had become a "sink" for African ivory, sucking in imports bought by foreigners for export to other Asian countries.

"It's more or less an unregulated market," he said.

Along with China, Thailand is part of the "Gang of Eight" countries that have faced scrutiny over the ivory trade, but it is now seen as the key offender.

Speaking at the conference in Geneva, William Kiprono, who leads Kenya's Wildlife Service, said his country is cracking down hard on poachers and illegal ivory traders.

He said that the country is currently recruiting hundreds more wildlife rangers, but said more action was also needed from consumers.

"In some places, they think that ivory just falls out of an animal just like feathers," he said.

"We need to work together. If we don't act, we are going to lose our wildlife, as Kenya, as Africa and the globe. And the next generation will not forgive us," he said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-07-12

• Like 1

another week of ....but, but, not us, someone else, unfair, they did it, and other bull from the thaiscoffee1.gif

Along with China, Thailand is part of the "Gang of Eight" countries that have faced scrutiny over the ivory trade, but it is now seen as the key offender.

this statement says everything to make thailand wake up...the country of elephant loverswhistling.gif

It is all false love, Thailand couldn't care less about elephants they are nothing but a commodity to Thais. Everything is money to them alive or dead doesn't matter.

You are saying about Thai that it's all about money?

I'm sure there are some Thai that would kill for money..as in any country.

To suggest that the majority of Thai people would kill a elephant for money...

I don't agree but maybe you know Thai people better than me.

I presume you can speak Thai & have come to this conclusion from speaking to them?

• Like 1

The world just don't understand Thailand...leave us alone!! And the way Thailand is going they will be alone before long if they don't wake-up and put an end to practices such as ivory trading, human trafficking, copyright infringement, etc. Wait, wait, did I just see Thailand open it eyes a little...maybe its waking up?

• Like 1

The last admin is going to be remembered as the providing the best lip service the world has known. A great achievement for the PTP. The past few years has been "we will stop this an we will do that and we are doing all we can to end slave labor and we will pay the farmers this week and we will smash the illegal trade for ivory. Yet in the end everything got worse. If changes are not made soon the world will stop all trading and business with Thailand lest they be seen as supporters of the illegal activities here. Lets hope the Junta can end turning a blind eye to these things and the backroom payoffs to officials overseeing this. Thailand needs a facelift to how the world is percieving them thanks to the the previous admins lack of real action.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unfortunately no matter what happens to Thailand, it won't stop anything.

Where they lock people up, it just creates a gap for someone else to fill, and these people don't give a monkey;s chuff about what happens to Thailand and trade bans etc.,..... The want the money, that's all.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

another week of ....but, but, not us, someone else, unfair, they did it, and other bull from the thaiscoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

this statement says everything to make thailand wake up...the country of elephant lovers alt=whistling.gif>

It is all false love, Thailand couldn't care less about elephants they are nothing but a commodity to Thais. Everything is money to them alive or dead doesn't matter.

You really mean all Thais? Wow! So your the expert I have been hear tall tale-ing about! Some deep thoughts on your part.whistling.gif

• Like 1

"DiCaprio calls on Yingluck to ban ivory trade" => that was in the newspapers in February 2013

I remember Yingluck saying something like "Oh don't worry, no country in the world loves elephants as much as Thailand !!! "

What actions have been undertaken since then by the country that loves elephants so much? => nothing. nada. zero, of course. What would you expect from these inept politicians.

The only people who had the balls and the will to really address issues are the military.

Edited by peterbkk9

Rather than a "sink," for Thai and other global ivory, Thailand has become the toilet bowl. Cites should just flush THailand away. Nations, animal rights activists, wildlife activists, and all should boycott Thailand and its products until it cleans up its act on its own elephant ivory traffic. It's a shame. Where is the Thai military dictatorship who is supposed to be cleaning up Thailand?

The ban should have been imposed with immediate effect. That would have meant all trade in CITES listed species, including crocodiles, orchids would have been shut down causing huge financial losses. Had that happened, you would have seen within a month or two, immediate action from the Thai government to shut down the ivory trade, and clean up illegal trade. The Standing Committee have only told Thailand they'll give them time to sort things out. Kick the can down the road, and see where we are next August 2015. The Thai ivory traders and on-sellers are breathing a sigh of relief and stepping up the orders for African ivory as we speak.... along with orders for more live-elephant calves from Myanmar...

• Like 1

Rather than a "sink," for Thai and other global ivory, Thailand has become the toilet bowl. Cites should just flush THailand away. Nations, animal rights activists, wildlife activists, and all should boycott Thailand and its products until it cleans up its act on its own elephant ivory traffic. It's a shame. Where is the Thai military dictatorship who is supposed to be cleaning up Thailand?

Where is the Thai military dictatorship who is supposed to be cleaning up Thailand?

Are you living in Outer Mongolia?

The military "dictatorship" has been in the hot seat for just under two months and is doing a fine job of cleaning up Thailand, if you hadn't noticed. The monstrous mess that PTP left has caused logistical problems for everyone involved.

After the killing of the "Ayuttaya elephant", you can bet a team will be assigned to work on this whole problem with the Thailand connection to China's lust for ivory and other endangered animal parts..

another week of ....but, but, not us, someone else, unfair, they did it, and other bull from the thaiscoffee1.gif

this statement says everything to make thailand wake up...the country of elephant loverswhistling.gif

Sadly too many Thais care more about the changs that come in bottles.

• Like 2

Think positively! Thailand is in the TOP 3 in the world for a number of things. e.g. Ivory trading, road fatalities, corruption, firearm possession.

To balance this, it's in the lowest level for people trading, dog selling.

Can't have it both ways.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Today's BP carries a front page story of a 50 year old bull elephant having been poisoned and it's tusks crudely sawn off. It was stated the killer was probably a 'young man on drugs'. Why is it the Thais cannot accept that another Thai is capable of heinous acts of cruelty unless they are 'on drugs'? It's like reading some lurid headline in a UK paper 30 years ago. Grow up! And, BTW, cease and bloody well desist killing your OWN elephants to make trinkets and 'medicine'. It simply feeds the desire. Barbaric.

Thailand is saturated with the worst drug of all: Meth. Saturated.

Doesn't make crime excusable though...

• Like 1

I presume you can speak Thai & have come to this conclusion from speaking to them?

If they care; why don't they stand up and do something about it? Thais are experts at rallying troops when there is a cause they care about; they print shirts; hold rallies etc.; stop traffic....the list goes on.

How many shirts have you seen that say "save our elephants?" Any school projects to educate children on the practice? Any essays from high school/university students? Any press coverage on Thai based NGO's for education campaign on the issue?

The answer is a resounding no, no, no, no, and no.....

I think it's a logical conclusion to assume that the overwhelming majority of Thai nationals just don't care. It seems painstakingly obvious that being scolded and losing face on the issue is of utmost importance; not actually saving any animals.

• Like 2

another week of ....but, but, not us, someone else, unfair, they did it, and other bull from the thaiscoffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

this statement says everything to make thailand wake up...the country of elephant lovers alt=whistling.gif>

Elephant lovers, don't make me laugh. Sadly it seems the vast majority of Thai's care about nothing except money in their pockets.

So why does it apparently take foreigners to point out the problems Thailand is causing because of its laws on the ivory trade.

If Thais cared so much, why cant they do it themselves?

So why does it apparently take foreigners to point out the problems Thailand is causing because of its laws on the ivory trade.

If Thais cared so much, why cant they do it themselves?

Farang are not my uncle. We know how to do everything. We listen not because we have experts: politicians. Nothing is of importance beyond Thai boundaries, and we will fight and give everydrop of blood for our safety, freedom and progress. We care, jing jing.giggle.gif

Edited by UbonRatch

Mr. Chooka, where is the outrage about the killing of the elephant in Ayuthaya?

Or was he just one idiot guy?

How come thailand is on the list of 8?

Mentality, mr Chooka. So stop attacking the posters and start with attacking thai people or businesses who commit or benefit from these crimes.

I disagree with those who condemn the majority of Thais as everything being about money. Traditional Thai culture, if I understand correctly from my reading and observations, puts a greater emphasis on family, for example. However, here is the global issue, if a people of any nation, allows a problem of international standing to exist, does that people bear a responsibility of stopping the problem?