Special Report: TAT to launch new campaign to boost tourism industry

Lite Beer

Special Report: TAT to launch new campaign to boost tourism industry

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s new global tourism campaign, “Amazing Thailand: Happiness Within,” will be launched for visitors to experience the “Thai way of happiness.”

The campaign is part of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)’s marketing plan for the 2015 fiscal year, with special international events organized starting in October 2014.

According to TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik, the new marketing plan is targeting to generate an estimated 1.4 trillion baht in revenues from foreign tourists and 800 billion baht from domestic tourists. The core concepts will be to restore visitors’ confidence in Thailand by promoting Thai culture, happiness, and sustainability, as well as balanced and sustainable growth.

When tourists are happy, they usually forward messages to friends on their social networks, the Governor pointed out. The TAT will thus focus on promoting the concept of “forwarding messages” in the online world. When visitors forward their messages, this will raise the awareness about Thailand and attract more future visitors.

Among the special international events to be organized is a “Thailand Music Festival” under the theme “Land of Fun.” In December 2014, a number of events will be held to mark the birthday anniversary of His Majesty the King and the New Year festival, which will take the form of “Thailand Happiness Carnival.” This will be in addition to the traditional fun and happiness celebrations that mark Songkran, the traditional Thai New Year in April.

The TAT Governor noted that Thailand will also take advantage of the opportunities opened up by the enhanced facilitation and transportation connectivity when ASEAN Community is in place in late 2015. This will allow the development of special cross-border tour packages and caravans to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and China.

He said that, in 2013, Thailand’s tourism revenue ranked sixth in the world and third in Asia by the World Tourism Organization. The TAT is striving to make this ranking higher in 2015. It will follow the guidelines set in the 11th National Economic and Social Development Plan (2012-2016) and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports’ National Tourism Development Plan, as well as the policy of the National Council for Peace and Order.

On the international front, emphasis will continue to be placed on special-interest markets, such as golf, honeymoons and weddings, health and wellness, and eco-tourism. Both first-time and repeat visitors will be targeted.

The domestic tourism plan will target the family market, working people, the elderly, and youths. Ten major cities are to be categorized as “Must Visit Cities” in 2015. They include Lampang, Phetchabun, Buri Ram, Loei, Samut Songkhram, Ratchaburi, Chanthaburi, Trat, Chumphon, and Trang. These provinces have been chosen because each one has a special story that people should know about.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-12 footer_n.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"When tourists are happy, they usually forward messages to friends on their social networks, the Governor pointed out."

Jing?

And the same goes if they are not Governor...

Edited by iReason
  • Like 2

"the new marketing plan is targeting to generate an estimated 1.4 trillion baht in revenues from foreign tourists".

Right, so when they come here for a two week holiday, that's great, they're contributing to that 1.4 trillion baht. But, but if they come here and stay for seven months or more in a single holiday, well, no, Thailand does not really want their money.

You know, if they strip away the 'tourist' revenue from the 'tourists' who are here for more than seven months per year, well, is that going to reduce the 1.4 trillion baht revenue ? Are those 1000 baht notes from people who are here for a seven month stretch not as good as the ones from the two-week tourists ? I really wonder !

In my observation living on KPG, most of those long-stayer 1,000 baht notes are spent in farang owned bars and restaurants, with little regard to the benefits they are bringing to "the country". Many of the nationalities prefer to congregate in their favorite national's place of business, with little regard to legality of said business...

In my opinion these are the people responsible for pushing land and property prices out of reach for common Thais. Few Thai bar/restaurant owners drive 4x4 and SUVs and live in even 2 million baht homes, let alone 10 million baht condos.

Lets face it, if there was no exchange rate benefit most farangs would have to live a more realistic lifestyle and would not afford most things they consider cheap here. Most would not come here.

• Like 1

Tourism business in Thailand is improving: TAT
By Digital Content

14051529178023-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, July 12 -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said that tourism business has gradually improved and Thailand remained a popular tourist destination among Middle Eastern and Chinese tourists.

Deputy TAT Governor for Marketing Communications, Sukree Sittiwanitch said increasing numbers of tourists from the Middle East, China and Australia have arrived to Thailand.

He said that, according to the latest survey, the purchase of plane tickets to Thailand have risen considerably. He attributed the positive situation to efforts from the Foreign Affairs and Commerce Ministries, as well as the TAT, in building confidence among tourists regarding the safety of traveling to Thailand.

In the meantime, the TAT has advertised along all platforms of the media to promote tourist destinations in Thailand so that TAT has believed that by the end of 2014, Thailand would see tourism-related revenue of around Bt1.944 trillion, higher than the year before.

Moreover, TAT has planned to organised a tourism promotion event at the end of July at 27 TAT offices worldwide, aiming to attract more visitors to Thailand.

Mr Sukree stressed that the tour packages would vary, depending on the interests of the people in each country.

For example, Russians visited Pattaya and Kanchanaburi provinces in high numbers, while Europeans were attracted to visiting Phuket resort island, so tour packages or promotional excursions for those two groups would be designed differently to respond to each demand. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-07-12

"the new marketing plan is targeting to generate an estimated 1.4 trillion baht in revenues from foreign tourists".

Right, so when they come here for a two week holiday, that's great, they're contributing to that 1.4 trillion baht. But, but if they come here and stay for seven months or more in a single holiday, well, no, Thailand does not really want their money.

You know, if they strip away the 'tourist' revenue from the 'tourists' who are here for more than seven months per year, well, is that going to reduce the 1.4 trillion baht revenue ? Are those 1000 baht notes from people who are here for a seven month stretch not as good as the ones from the two-week tourists ? I really wonder !

In my observation living on KPG, most of those long-stayer 1,000 baht notes are spent in farang owned bars and restaurants, with little regard to the benefits they are bringing to "the country". Many of the nationalities prefer to congregate in their favorite national's place of business, with little regard to legality of said business...

In my opinion these are the people responsible for pushing land and property prices out of reach for common Thais. Few Thai bar/restaurant owners drive 4x4 and SUVs and live in even 2 million baht homes, let alone 10 million baht condos.

Lets face it, if there was no exchange rate benefit most farangs would have to live a more realistic lifestyle and would not afford most things they consider cheap here. Most would not come here.

Hello !

"Lets face it, if there was no exchange rate benefit most farangs would have to live a more realistic lifestyle and would not afford most things they consider cheap here. Most would not come here."

Yes, this is true, but it doesn't take away the point that farang who stay here for a seven or eight month stretch ARE putting money into the Thai economy. Or does it ? After all, Thailand still wants to welcome the two-week tourists, and some of those two-week tourists might be here, because, because Thailand is cheaper than other places.

As for pushing up land and property prices, well, us foreigners "can't actually buy or own land, unless through a legal loop-hole". The vast bulk of Thailand's real estate is owned by Thais (most of the prime real-estate in Bangkok is owned by rich Chinese-Thai families), and surely, a real-estate boom benefits the Thais who have got real estate. They, after all, are smirking at the value of their properties rising. Yes, Thais who can't afford to buy because of the rising prices have a problem. Well, in other places, London and Melbourne, the local government might build government housing, and allow locals to live in such housing, at a below-the-market rate.

And those long-stayers who spend most of their money on farang owned bars and restaurants. Well, surely, the two-week tourists (in Pattaya and Phuket), they also spend a lot of their money in places owned by farang ? Most of us (who have been here for more than a year) do know right, that the bulk of the farang-owned bars and restaurants in Thailand actually make a loss or break even. :) And they do employ local Thais or Cambodians to work in such places.

The point I'm trying to make, the long-stayers are still drawing out cash at the ATM, they're still bringing in foreign currency. The only difference is, is that the two-week tourists spend about four or five times more money per day. The long-stayers are spending the same money, it's just that they're spending it more slowly ! :)

• Like 1

I can remember a year or two ago, when immigration just could not handle the number of tourists coming through. They made some adjustments and it seemed effective.

Now that Immigration has clamped down on back to back entries (soon even by air), I wonder if they will be able to handle all the tourists passing in and out of the airport/borders, while still screening each and every individual thoroughly.

Expecting slowdowns at all ends.....starting in mid October.

Well, at least the TAT seems happy with the NCPO 'Thai happiness' program.

Mind you if some farang posters here are really representative, it's an uphill battle rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

And in another development, the TAT has declared that coups are Good For Tourism, and that human trafficking and ivory sales have bolstered revenues....further, right now 90% of all Thais are happy and well-fed, and that will surely bring in the cannibals from Europe.

Yeah...right.

xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png

• Like 1

Oh, please. Really? What section of Thailand do you live in? Pattaya?

Hello !

"Lets face it, if there was no exchange rate benefit most farangs would have to live a more realistic lifestyle and would not afford most things they consider cheap here. Most would not come here."

Yes, this is true, but it doesn't take away the point that farang who stay here for a seven or eight month stretch ARE putting money into the Thai economy. Or does it ? After all, Thailand still wants to welcome the two-week tourists, and some of those two-week tourists might be here, because, because Thailand is cheaper than other places.

As for pushing up land and property prices, well, us foreigners "can't actually buy or own land, unless through a legal loop-hole". The vast bulk of Thailand's real estate is owned by Thais (most of the prime real-estate in Bangkok is owned by rich Chinese-Thai families), and surely, a real-estate boom benefits the Thais who have got real estate. They, after all, are smirking at the value of their properties rising. Yes, Thais who can't afford to buy because of the rising prices have a problem. Well, in other places, London and Melbourne, the local government might build government housing, and allow locals to live in such housing, at a below-the-market rate.

And those long-stayers who spend most of their money on farang owned bars and restaurants. Well, surely, the two-week tourists (in Pattaya and Phuket), they also spend a lot of their money in places owned by farang ? Most of us (who have been here for more than a year) do know right, that the bulk of the farang-owned bars and restaurants in Thailand actually make a loss or break even. smile.png And they do employ local Thais or Cambodians to work in such places.

The point I'm trying to make, the long-stayers are still drawing out cash at the ATM, they're still bringing in foreign currency. The only difference is, is that the two-week tourists spend about four or five times more money per day. The long-stayers are spending the same money, it's just that they're spending it more slowly ! smile.png

Hello. Excuse me. What?

I can assert you have not lived here for long, nor do you own any property here, based upon what you assert.

I came here for the love of the ethos, aside from the assumed rights and wrongs. I earn money here, am paid in baht, and pay tax same as any Thai; I also do it legally.

You can make as many assumptions as you desire but I, for one, do not spend money in places you again 'assume' are owned by 'farang'. Are you really so naive? I withdraw from my BANKS what I have honestly earnt here, and not a jot from a foreign country. I spend as I need, buy what I need, and live comfortably as I need. I assert that you have no idea what it is like to live here long-term, and nor do you know much about the culture here in its reality; I also assert you know little about what you believe you know about living in Thailand long-term. Stick to your 8 month stays, until you really have some idea what your essence contains. You might make it long-term. Until then, good luck with your further assumptions.

Until then, keep naive assumptions to yourself, and make the same assertions after you have lived here for at least 10 years.

In addition, you wrote, 'well, us foreigners "can't actually buy or own land, unless through a legal loop-hole" '. Then you wrote, "Most of us (who have been here for more than a year) do know right, that the bulk of the farang-owned bars and restaurants in Thailand actually make a loss or break even." You contradict yourself in 1 post; the post full of misunderstanding, as you clearly display.

Ubonratch, you silly person, YOU have miss-understood my comments !

I was answering directly to the previous post (from ParadiseLost). This thing about assuming that fahrang spend their money in fahrang owned bars and restaurants. I was responding to the original point about how 'Paradiselost' had said about how the long-stayers spend their money in such places, and my response was basically "the two-week tourists are actually just as likely to spend their money in such places" (the SAME places as the long-stayers !).

What did I write ? You agree right, that the difference between the two week tourists and the eight month guys is, is that the two week guys spend about four or five times as much money on a PER DAY basis ? We're talking about the average two week tourist, and the average eight month tourist (or two year tourist).

Did I make any assumptions about YOU, Ubonratch ? No, I did not. :)

But you have assumptions or miss-interpretations about my writing.

So YOU think I contradicted myself with the land ownership comment. Look, it's been mentioned constantly, on Thai Visa, about how Thais can go to America or England, they can legally buy land with no problems. But we, as foreigners, we can do it, BUT we need a legal loop-hole. We're NOT in the same situation as the Thais are when THEY go to England.

And when you see the fahrang-owned bars and restaurants, you do know about the owner-ship of the vast bulk (or most) of those bars, don't you ? Things like, Mr Foreigner has bought a bar, he hasn't got it 'freehold', he's bought the contents of the bar (the fridge, television, chairs,etc), he's now paying the rent every month, and his bar just about breaks even. I do actually know a stack of Pattaya bars, most of those bars make a loss or break even. And I know a few bars outside of Pattaya as well, it's the same story.

So you earned YOUR money here in Thailand. Well, good for you. You accept that the vast bulk of the eight month (or longer than eight months) guys earned their money outside of Thailand ?

Let's get back to what the OP was. So what's the difference between the two week 'genuine' tourists and those who stay for longer than seven months in one stretch ? My original post was about how it's strange and funny for TAT to want to boost tourist revenues from the tourists (they mean the two-week tourists, the 'genuine' tourists), but at the same time, Thailand appears to be wanting to remove the tourists who stay for long periods. Did you read my original post before you shot your mouth off ?? :)

And YOU, don't assume that I am one of those who comes here for eight months, and then goes away, and comes back later !! Just because I am writing to support them, that don't mean to say I'm one of them.

:)

• Like 1

By Digital Content

BANGKOK, July 12 -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said that tourism business has gradually improved and Thailand remained a popular tourist destination among Middle Eastern and Chinese tourists.

Deputy TAT Governor for Marketing Communications, Sukree Sittiwanitch said increasing numbers of tourists from the Middle East, China and Australia have arrived to Thailand.

He said that, according to the latest survey, the purchase of plane tickets to Thailand have risen considerably. He attributed the positive situation to efforts from the Foreign Affairs and Commerce Ministries, as well as the TAT, in building confidence among tourists regarding the safety of traveling to Thailand.

In the meantime, the TAT has advertised along all platforms of the media to promote tourist destinations in Thailand so that TAT has believed that by the end of 2014, Thailand would see tourism-related revenue of around Bt1.944 trillion, higher than the year before.

Moreover, TAT has planned to organised a tourism promotion event at the end of July at 27 TAT offices worldwide, aiming to attract more visitors to Thailand.

Mr Sukree stressed that the tour packages would vary, depending on the interests of the people in each country.

For example, Russians visited Pattaya and Kanchanaburi provinces in high numbers, while Europeans were attracted to visiting Phuket resort island, so tour packages or promotional excursions for those two groups would be designed differently to respond to each demand. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-12

There is always an increase in Middle Eastern tourists during Ramadan.

People will pass on their positive experiences in Thailand through social networks to their friends. Equally they will pass on the endless list of scams and rip-offs.

• Like 1

Hello !

And those long-stayers who spend most of their money on farang owned bars and restaurants. Well, surely, the two-week tourists (in Pattaya and Phuket), they also spend a lot of their money in places owned by farang ? Most of us (who have been here for more than a year) do know right, that the bulk of the farang-owned bars and restaurants in Thailand actually make a loss or break even. smile.png And they do employ local Thais or Cambodians to work in such places.

The point I'm trying to make, the long-stayers are still drawing out cash at the ATM, they're still bringing in foreign currency. The only difference is, is that the two-week tourists spend about four or five times more money per day. The long-stayers are spending the same money, it's just that they're spending it more slowly ! smile.png

Hello. Excuse me. What?

I can assert you have not lived here for long, nor do you own any property here, based upon what you assert.

I came here for the love of the ethos, aside from the assumed rights and wrongs. I earn money here, am paid in baht, and pay tax same as any Thai; I also do it legally.

You can make as many assumptions as you desire but I, for one, do not spend money in places you again 'assume' are owned by 'farang'. Are you really so naive? I withdraw from my BANKS what I have honestly earnt here, and not a jot from a foreign country. I spend as I need, buy what I need, and live comfortably as I need. I assert that you have no idea what it is like to live here long-term, and nor do you know much about the culture here in its reality; I also assert you know little about what you believe you know about living in Thailand long-term. Stick to your 8 month stays, until you really have some idea what your essence contains. You might make it long-term. Until then, good luck with your further assumptions.

Until then, keep naive assumptions to yourself, and make the same assertions after you have lived here for at least 10 years.

In addition, you wrote, 'well, us foreigners "can't actually buy or own land, unless through a legal loop-hole" '. Then you wrote, "Most of us (who have been here for more than a year) do know right, that the bulk of the farang-owned bars and restaurants in Thailand actually make a loss or break even." You contradict yourself in 1 post; the post full of misunderstanding, as you clearly display.

Ubonratch, you silly person, YOU have miss-understood my comments !

I was answering directly to the previous post (from ParadiseLost). This thing about assuming that fahrang spend their money in fahrang owned bars and restaurants. I was responding to the original point about how 'Paradiselost' had said about how the long-stayers spend their money in such places, and my response was basically "the two-week tourists are actually just as likely to spend their money in such places" (the SAME places as the long-stayers !).

What did I write ? You agree right, that the difference between the two week tourists and the eight month guys is, is that the two week guys spend about four or five times as much money on a PER DAY basis ? We're talking about the average two week tourist, and the average eight month tourist (or two year tourist).

Did I make any assumptions about YOU, Ubonratch ? No, I did not. smile.png

But you have assumptions or miss-interpretations about my writing.

So YOU think I contradicted myself with the land ownership comment. Look, it's been mentioned constantly, on Thai Visa, about how Thais can go to America or England, they can legally buy land with no problems. But we, as foreigners, we can do it, BUT we need a legal loop-hole. We're NOT in the same situation as the Thais are when THEY go to England.

And when you see the fahrang-owned bars and restaurants, you do know about the owner-ship of the vast bulk (or most) of those bars, don't you ? Things like, Mr Foreigner has bought a bar, he hasn't got it 'freehold', he's bought the contents of the bar (the fridge, television, chairs,etc), he's now paying the rent every month, and his bar just about breaks even. I do actually know a stack of Pattaya bars, most of those bars make a loss or break even. And I know a few bars outside of Pattaya as well, it's the same story.

So you earned YOUR money here in Thailand. Well, good for you. You accept that the vast bulk of the eight month (or longer than eight months) guys earned their money outside of Thailand ?

Let's get back to what the OP was. So what's the difference between the two week 'genuine' tourists and those who stay for longer than seven months in one stretch ? My original post was about how it's strange and funny for TAT to want to boost tourist revenues from the tourists (they mean the two-week tourists, the 'genuine' tourists), but at the same time, Thailand appears to be wanting to remove the tourists who stay for long periods. Did you read my original post before you shot your mouth off ?? smile.png

And YOU, don't assume that I am one of those who comes here for eight months, and then goes away, and comes back later !! Just because I am writing to support them, that don't mean to say I'm one of them.

smile.png

For the record.. I didn't once call a you silly person. ;)

By Digital Content

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2014-07-12

There is always an increase in Middle Eastern tourists during Ramadan.

People will pass on their positive experiences in Thailand through social networks to their friends. Equally they will pass on the endless list of scams and rip-offs.

This tourist fixation is truly fantasy. Revenue from tourism is a single digit in the national GDP. It in itself is of little consequence. The potential disaster from the loss of tourism is with regard to the many thousands of Thai people who make their living from this industry either directly or indirectly and without the tourist dollar they would become a burden on the State which has never provided any provision for these people . A truly failed State.

Hello !

The point I'm trying to make, the long-stayers are still drawing out cash at the ATM, they're still bringing in foreign currency. The only difference is, is that the two-week tourists spend about four or five times more money per day. The long-stayers are spending the same money, it's just that they're spending it more slowly !

Could you please explain that for me? I'm not a native English speaker.

TAT...Fix the jetski Mafia...make all taxis use the meter and make tuk tuks charge a fair price and maybe farang will come here. Remember those are the people with contact to tourists.

The Army will clean house soon with the BIB.

Have a nice day...