Monitor Lizard in Rawai.

Jimi007

Same as Jimi, I had just the dogs going nuts outside. I went outside just in time to see 2m monitor lizard slithered into the small pond behind the house then ran across the road into the klong. They certainly are fast! I don't recall ever seeing one in the wild in Phuket before. What a magnificent creature. A living dinosaur.

I opened the door at 3AM the other day to get some fresh air. All four of our terrified cats raced inside. I wondered what was up.

We had a 1 meter long river monitor in the courtyard.

I killed it.

It's abhorrent to think someone would want to kill one of these. Shame on you. You disgust me.

I have to agree, why kill it? And yes they are very quick and pretty cool looking! It surprised you, didn't it? It sure surprised me!

• Like 1

I had a bung arab like that at myhouse liked to sleep on the water tank. I shot it in the head with my ging didn't even flinch

What is a "bung arab" and a "ging."? You make your signature highly ironic.

This is a Bungarra, aka Goanna, aka Monitor Lizard:

post-18822-0-54847400-1411530470_thumb.j

Every kid in Australia used to be able to make their own Ging using a forked tree branch and a piece of rubber inner tube from a bike tyre:

post-18822-0-60631300-1411530492_thumb.j

I opened the door at 3AM the other day to get some fresh air. All four of our terrified cats raced inside. I wondered what was up.

I killed it.

You could be in big trouble! Monitor lizards are a protected species in Thailand, (notwithstanding that locals do kill them to eat). I would happily report you to the authorities for killing this lizard.

• Like 2

I killed it.

You could be in big trouble! Monitor lizards are a protected species in Thailand, (notwithstanding that locals do kill them to eat). I would happily report you to the authorities for killing this lizard.

I hope you do. How anyone could kill one of these has me angry. They basically run away when approached so he must have chased it down.

They just don't stand there when confronted.

Sent from my LG-D858

• Like 1

Same as Jimi, I had just the dogs going nuts outside. I went outside just in time to see 2m monitor lizard slithered into the small pond behind the house then ran across the road into the klong. They certainly are fast! I don't recall ever seeing one in the wild in Phuket before. What a magnificent creature. A living dinosaur.

I killed it.

It's abhorrent to think someone would want to kill one of these. Shame on you. You disgust me.

He's probably Thai :rolleyes:

But a shame it is that someone feels the need for a kill on wildlife.

Two days later and it's still knocking about. Every time I hear the dogs going off I step out with my camera, but it runs into the jungle before I can get a photo. Mrs. Nomad just sent me this. She managed to get a blurry shot of out through the window.

unnamed.jpg