Americans and Visa Runs

...Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land....

That is out of date as of Nov. 2013. G7 countries are allowed 30 days by land border now.

If denied entry I think I get 7 days to book ticket??? so fly to Singapore or KL and get visa as required under new law. but until this happens I'll be using the legal 30 day stamp method same I have been using for over 8 years of vacationing in Thailand.

No, if denied entry is either that one gets a ticket to leave immediately, or is sent to Immigration Detention Center.

As explained to you above in in many other threads what happens is that now already, and more after Aug. 12th, Thai immigration will be do an harder scrutiny on visa exempt and and even visa entries. In practice they will have to send someone back everyday to show their bosses that they are doing it. It could be someone that not even deserve it, or that they don't like for any reason, etc.

Doesn't Thailand have bi-lateral agreements with some countries e.g Hong Kong. Does this mean HK citizens will have no problems getting visa exempts? If they do start stopping HK citizens from entering, then HK could easily refuse entry for Thai citizens in return.

Among the countries Thailand has bi-lateral agreements with, are Laos, Korea and Russia, and citizens from those three were mentioned as specifically targeted by the crackdown, so it doesn't seem the agreements give any protection.

So far Laos citizens seem to be getting their monthly 30 day stamps at border runs as normal.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

At Phuket airport arrival immigration I have not heard or seen of any 30 day stamps denied re entry even with out all the return tickets etc...never ever

I have been asked to show onward tickets by airlines before coming to Thailand but never asked for anything at Thai immigration upon arrival.

I will be arriving again on August 13th or 14th will be expecting my normal legal by the rules 30 day stamp. Will see what happens.

Yes I will have onward ticket, Letter from my company explaining my work vacation schedule and some pay stubbs in hand if required

BUT I am sure it will be same same as always...

Hand passport to un smiling officer stand on red spot look at camera listen for stamping noise accept stamped passport

no thank you's or sawadee caap's for officer then continue on my way,

To awaiting Internet booked Phuket shuttle taxi to straight to first 7/11 cold beer for me , Krating dang one for me one for driver enjoy the ride to Rawai etc etc...

Thats the plan anyways will report my findings accordingly.

If denied entry I think I get 7 days to book ticket??? so fly to Singapore or KL and get visa as required under new law. but until this happens I'll be using the legal 30 day stamp method same I have been using for over 8 years of vacationing in Thailand.

Sorry but what you just wrote flies in the face of so many other posts on related thread right here on TV.

Never heard of anyone denied at Phuket airport for a 30 day stamp? Umm...how about you go and do a search about that Russian lady that was working illegally, had just a few stamps in her passport, including one tourist visa I believe and was refused immigration clearance at Phuket airport? She then had to return to Malaysia, where she had just flown in from.

Numerous others have had problems at the airports too and unlike at the land borders if you're refused you usually have to fly out on the first available flight to a destination of your choice or your home/residence country. Haven't heard of 7 days being given at the airports, sorry but you're wrong.

The crackdown therefore appears to be in full force, especially at land checkpoints but even at airports they are scrutinizing passengers, especially if they haven't got documents for onward travel (although as you say generally they still don't request this from citizens of rich nations). In fact, I'd almost rather be coming in at a land border if they're giving 7 days, because numerous people have been refused at the airports and as mentioned they are detained until they can get on a flight. In some cases travellers are merely held for a few hours and eventually given a stamp (of the normal length afforded to that citizen) but still, judging by some of the posts I have read it does sound like a very scary and unpleasant experience.

I might also add though that many (most?) of the persons who experienced this scrutiny had previous overstays in their passports (which they didn't seem to think would influence the scrutiny they received, something they were very wrong about!) and of course many were also border runners or hadn't stayed outside of Thailand much attempting to live 11/12 months in Thailand on visa exempt stamps or a combination of tourist visa and exempt stamps.

Yes I have read about this Russian women. Totally diferant than my 30 day stamp leagal entry endorosment same apples and oranges...

Yes she was doing a visa run to Malaysia gone just a few days (to visit Friends) and returned to Thailand WITHOUT the necessary documents I/E NO onward ticket no way to prove she was not working in Thailand pay stubbs from Russia etc so yes she was denied entry...

not sure what happened to her in the end??

I on the other hand do not live or claim residence in Thailand and i will have been out of Thailand for over 5 weeks. I will have all the correct documentation if necessary proving I come to Thailand for 30 days or less for my vacation. I have an onward ticket, hotel accomadations or address where i will sometimes be staying with friends, I have proof of residense in USA and proof of where I work as well. Even a letter from my compny explaining my travel iternary to and from my work and my Holiday time off.

This was all explained to me by a Thai immigration official i querried at Phuket airport departure on my last departure from Phuket asking about the changes in the laws expected in August. after looking through my passport He said that i would have no problem re entering with a 30 day stamp same as i always do, he re-iteraited that USA citizens will have no problem with 30 entry stamp.

If the laws concerning 30 day entry stamps do change then I will expect the airlines will know it and not be aloud to board the plane to Thailand with out a valid visa.

Gonna be interesting for sure.

Will see on my next arrivial in mid August.

Sorry to steal this thread from the op,

but just passing along my recent and past expierience of entering Thailand on and off since 1985 always on just a 30 day stamp.

over and out

90 + days in Thailand in 6 mths in and out visa run toPP . Is this OK for Tourist visa rules next month?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was an old rule for visa exempt entries and it never applied to tourist visa entries.

Immigration will not bring that rule back because it was problematic for them.

Nobody knows what the rules will be next month but perhaps some high level immigration officers.

• Like 1

Doesn't Thailand have bi-lateral agreements with some countries e.g Hong Kong. Does this mean HK citizens will have no problems getting visa exempts? If they do start stopping HK citizens from entering, then HK could easily refuse entry for Thai citizens in return.

Among the countries Thailand has bi-lateral agreements with, are Laos, Korea and Russia, and citizens from those three were mentioned as specifically targeted by the crackdown, so it doesn't seem the agreements give any protection.

So far Laos citizens seem to be getting their monthly 30 day stamps at border runs as normal.

Not if they come back from Malaysia according to an immigration official at Sungai Kolok. Check the thread about 60 day tourist visa holders denied at the southern crossings, the latest thread.

Not if they come back from Malaysia according to an immigration official at Sungai Kolok. Check the thread about 60 day tourist visa holders denied at the southern crossings, the latest thread.

Yes, I saw that. Most of the Laos I know do monthly border runs from Pattaya or Bangkok, to Cambodia. Thus far they haven't had problems but I fully expect this to change.

Yes I agree ,I noticed that after I C & P it from the US Embassy page. God bless America

...Upon entry, Thai immigration officials will place an immigration stamp in the passport permitting a 30-day stay in Thailand if arriving by air or a 15-day stay if arriving by land....

That is out of date as of Nov. 2013. G7 countries are allowed 30 days by land border now.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not true. I have a US Passport and was told I must get proof of income/residence the next time in (which I do have). I am now on a tourist visa, but had several back to back 30 day on arrival. They wrote the requirement on my visa. I have had only one tourist visa since arrival from the USA this year....but 4 back to backs.

I am now fixing the problem with a 90 day O and a retirement extension.

Seems everyone..including Americans (of course) will be screened.

That is very interesting. I specifically asked about back to back 30 days on arrival the ( exit) immigration at the airport about 3 weeks ago. The senior officer there went through my passport ( literally dozens of 30 days on arrival) and said " no problem, this will be ok still". Now I wonder if he is right. I never use land borders are rarely stay more than 10 or 14 days...but that is every month. Now I'm worried about being refused entry so I guess it's best to get a tourist visa ( a major pain).

Yes, all of my friends and I have regularly ask immigration how this will affect Americans FLYING into Thailand in the future and they keep saying, that for you pointing at the passport, there will be no problems. I am not asking what the official stance is as I think its clear. I'm asking what the feeling is that it will be enforced and what vibe people are getting coming in.

• Like 1