Night Spots ?

malt25

Hi all.

I've been a resident in CM for about 5 months now. Living at San Sai & enjoying it. I only go into the city during the day, rarely, for specialty shopping.

I think it's about time I sampled a bit of CM night life. Any recommendations for decent bars, clubs, with a little entertainment ? Not necessarily Coyote dancers but maybe a little company would be nice.

I've looked online at bars & clubs but not knowing the good from the not so good would really appreciate a recommendation or 3.

Thanks all in advance.

Mal.

Go for a walk down Loi Kroh and if thats not to your taste then there are a lot of smaller and quieter bars/pubs in the old town around Soi 1, 2 and 3.

Its hard to say whats good and whats not as everyone has different ideas on the subject.

Enjoy your night out but Id advise to steer clear of any Karaoke bar.... too many bad stories about those places.

wai.gif

• Like 1

And don't dismiss santhithan, if you want the coyote, the go gos, the nearest thing to seediness in CM then that where to go.

Amazingly everyone in the know harps on about Lk, but amazingly everyone knows sweet f.a.

• Like 1

And don't dismiss santhithan, if you want the coyote, the go gos, the nearest thing to seediness in CM then that where to go.

Amazingly everyone in the know harps on about Lk, but amazingly everyone knows sweet f.a.

I haven't been there..more info please..wai2.gif

I heard it was now very gay orientated...No?

Go have a beer and a soapy at Sayuri. Then head into town for a few bevies. Save a fortune if done in this order.

I was thinking of a place I could go to get a legit massage, but have the proprietor run out and get me a few beers to enjoy during the process. Nothing sexual, just a good hour or two of relaxing. Hopefully some light chat.

No ;)

Santitham has a reputation for being seedy and whilst there is a little seediness it is only a small part of a large area (it's changing here and it's reputation is somewhat out if date) - there is also a gay element but it is no gayer (or straighter) than any other area of chiang mai

Go for a walk down Loi Kroh and if thats not to your taste then there are a lot of smaller and quieter bars/pubs in the old town around Soi 1, 2 and 3.

Its hard to say whats good and whats not as everyone has different ideas on the subject.

Enjoy your night out but Id advise to steer clear of any Karaoke bar.... too many bad stories about those places.

wai.gif

Having a night out down the Loi Kroh Road is the ultimate end for the absolute desperate. You would have to be a least 70 to find women younger than yourself and avoid the Karaoke clubs and bars at all costs. There have been many horror stories about those, guys receiving bills for 40000 baht and beaten to a pulp if they refuse or can`t pay.

In answer to the OP`s question; any recommendations for decent bars, clubs, with a little entertainment? I don`t think there are any.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Do you speak Thai?

How old are you?

Are you looking for a fun temporary partner, a serious long-term partner, a fun place to hang out with friends, or something else?

Information like like this might help others help you out.

Go have a beer and a soapy at Sayuri. Then head into town for a few bevies. Save a fortune if done in this order.

I was thinking of a place I could go to get a legit massage, but have the proprietor run out and get me a few beers to enjoy during the process. Nothing sexual, just a good hour or two of relaxing. Hopefully some light chat.

I used to do that at a roadside foot-massage place, order beers or cokes for all the girls and women, some snacks, drinks beer in the chair while watching the street scenes and getting a foot rub and chatting, gossiping learning some new phrases. basic sanookery.

• Like 1

No wink.png

Santitham has a reputation for being seedy and whilst there is a little seediness it is only a small part of a large area (it's changing here and it's reputation is somewhat out if date) - there is also a gay element but it is no gayer (or straighter) than any other area of chiang mai

OK thanks any particular places or even soi, that you would recommend and , whats is there generally..i mean is it a collection of bars/gogos and massages as in LK ,or a mix of restaurants and fishbowls..or what?

Don't know the area at all as do not a lot of readers i would think, so any info to OP and others would be appreciated.wai2.gif

Well as a clue, it takes its name from the Nana Plaza and those in the know don't want all the other handsome men coming to spoil it for us.

There's nothing quite like being part of the popular minority in santhitham plaza.

• Like 1

Well as a clue, it takes its name from the Nana Plaza and those in the know don't want all the other handsome men coming to spoil it for us.

There's nothing quite like being part of the popular minority in santhitham plaza.

But is it the handsome men that you go there for?

• Like 2

But is it the handsome men that you go there for?

If I ever get drunk, then you could be very good looking

Damn.....what a bummer!

Beware! You may get your comeuppance for that bummer comment!

• Like 1

After the many winks and nudges about this 'santitown' which I've never heard of I'm on tenterhooks to know what and where the heck this is. Also, there's a reference to soi numbers in the old town - how does taat work without citing a name off which the soi runs. I ask this even though I am a resident of some years. Ah well, maybe I am losing it....

Northwest of the northwest corner of the old city is the general answer. It's not hard to find, but you probably won't find it unless you look for it, it's not on the route to the destinations preferred by westerners. A lot of university students who don't have rich parents live there. It's fun, a little seedy in places but nothing like Loi Kroh (and definitely nothing like the real seedy parts of Thailand). If you don't speak Thai you should go with Thai friends, English is a foreign language in Santitham.

santhaithan is a large sprawling district,if you turn left at traffic lights,ksk/ram hospital,your going the right way.the ymca,is in santhim.

This is the area that has a few over priced massage parlours staffed by old grannies but in posher conditions, a couple of gay saunas, expensive spas, body to body rip-off massage parlours, some small farangy type restaurants run by Thais and 2 or 3 well hidden brothels that mostly service the working class Thais and so dirty and seedy that the Thais have nicked named them the HIV cafés.

These places can be find in Chiang Mai Locator. Just type into Google.

My advice to the OP is, go into facebook and type Chiang Mai into search. Many social and social activity clubs have sprung up on there over the last couple of years and a good place to meet other ex-pats. Otherwise if the OP is looking for something more on the adventurous side, female company perhaps, than the options for this are extremely limited unless you like them rough and ready.

there is many many places like any city in any country,if you have been there long enough and no were to look that you can find willing young female company,some posters are so negative,and even if they have been here for years,just do not have a clue,but post as though they have.

santhaithan is a large sprawling district,if you turn left at traffic lights,ksk/ram hospital,your going the right way.the ymca,is in santhim.

This is the area that has a few over priced massage parlours staffed by old grannies but in posher conditions, a couple of gay saunas, expensive spas, body to body rip-off massage parlours, some small farangy type restaurants run by Thais and 2 or 3 well hidden brothels that mostly service the working class Thais and so dirty and seedy that the Thais have nicked named them the HIV cafés.

These places can be find in Chiang Mai Locator. Just type into Google.

My advice to the OP is, go into facebook and type Chiang Mai into search. Many social and social activity clubs have sprung up on there over the last couple of years and a good place to meet other ex-pats. Otherwise if the OP is looking for something more on the adventurous side, female company perhaps, than the options for this are extremely limited unless you like them rough and ready.

I must have been in a different Santitham, I remember open air restaurant-bars, lots of young people, beer promotions, sometimes live music, pretty waitresses, stuff like that.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1

What I tell my friends coming up to visit and want to go downtown for a night out bar hoping is that CM is a family town and it's a pathetic boring place after dark with exciting Loy Khrow as the falang night owl soon finds out. It was the same 15 years ago and still remains a sad excuse for nightlife unless you like old over the hill women 'entertainers', katoys, or sad old expats.

Stay home, save your money for the real action in the southern sin cities.

Well, I happen to have wondered around quite a bit all around CM. Loy Kro (never sure how you spell that) is what it is. Probably cost you 120 baht for a big leo at most of the bars there or in the boxing stadium You can buy a girl a drink for 150 baht. You can get cheaper than that, but that is what you should expect.

The catch 22 being that if your not going to buy a girl a drink, they usually won't talk with you (for very long) and then there really is no reason to be there paying 120 baht for a Leo and sit by yourself . . . . . . so that is 270 baht a round if (big if) the girl has some "class". If she doesn't she will slam her drink while your Leo is still filled to the neck and want another one and if she doesn't get it . . . . your drinking alone again.

Another option is the group of bars/clubs sometimes called "Yellow bar" or "Yellow in Zowi" I don't know how they spell zowi . . . Slightly cheaper than LK. its down from the UN Irish on your right if your walking AWAY from the mote. Lots of tourist backpackers: just ignore them because they are ignoring you and the Thai girls, most of the hippy backpacker guys are focused on the hippy backpacker girls and then there are Thai and expats on the periphery, like two separate worlds co-existing. I've met Thai girls there ranging from English teachers to the girls from Loy Kro. But there is no extra charge for a lady drink, if you choose to buy one. This place used to be more late night but since the coup it is open earlier, and now shuts down at midnight.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Is the midnight closing now being enforced everywhere, excluding a few privileged bars? It seems to be enforced around Nimmanhamin, but I assume Tawan Daeng and Infinity are still open (not my kind of places so I haven't checked). I gather that only Spice and Lucky are open after hours now in the old city. Are there any places that aren't loud, crowded and/or full of hookers open after midnight?

Edited by heybruce