Snowden attacks British emergency surveillance laws

Scott

Snowden attacks British emergency surveillance laws

London (AFP) - Fugitive US intelligence expert Edward Snowden attacked British plans for emergency laws to allow police and security services greater access to Internet and phone data on Sunday.

In an interview with The Guardian newspaper, to whom the former National Security Agency contractor revealed the existence of mass surveillance programmes a year ago, Snowden said the planned laws were "beyond belief".

The British parliament is this week due to debate new legislation allowing Internet providers and mobile phone companies to keep details of communications between people in case they are needed in investigations.....more

Yahoo News

http://news.yahoo.com/snowden-attacks-british-emergency-surveillance-laws-181046402.html

This is what all the extra security measures which were loudly announced were all about. They use this non existing threat as an excuse to take even more of your freedoms away in the name of keeping you all safe. When it comes to spying on the British public they totally are committed to your security. Sadly when it comes to jailing or deporting terrorists that the courts deem are a real threat to the public they refuse just in case it infringes their precious human rights and as you all know their human rights always but always come before your human rights or your safety.

And you suckers jut keep letting them get away with it every time.

George Orwell was so right, 1984 is truly alive.Isn't London said to have the highest concentration of CCTV cameras in the world? The average person is photographed over 300 times a day. The UK is so tiny and there are so many laws it's stifling.

Back in the early 80s I was evicted from a spacious basement flat by earnest Environmental Health inspectors because the windows weren't providing enough natural light. I protested I was very hsppy there but to no avail, I was offered a council flat in a rundown area with drug dealers as neighbours. Stupid civil servants.

At least in the USA you have vast areas where folks can get away from the nanny state but there's nowhere to run in the UK.

How dull the streets of England are, a complete ghost town after 5.00 pm, no vendors, no hawkers, all in the interests of protecting the consumer from unwholesome food of course. No family greengrocers, no butchers- unable to compete with the massive financial power of the heavyweights like Tescos.

The powers to be can always quote the threat of terrorism as justification for snooping and intrusion, I'd prefer they would find some British muslims repulsed by the violent techniques of the extremists, prepared to infiltrate the terrorist cells, but a blanket survey of the entire population no doubt appeals to their authoritarian nature.

British born and bred, finally left in the late 1980s. Last back 11 years ago.

In Thailand my wife and I could build our house the way we liked, no need to contact the city council to get permission.

John Cleese summed up the English, at least the white middle class ones quite aptly, ' They view life as something to be got through without making a fuss, no stirring of the waters'

I'm English, I love the people, the humour and the countryside there but there are far too many people and far too many petty laws.

And I have yet to see a more depressing place in peacetime than a Doncaster council estate.