Odds Of Getting Caught Working With A Tourist Visa?...

I am curious to know what are the odds of getting caught working with a tourist visa?

What are the consequences if caught?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone can furnish me with a link to a site that has a list of specific and current documents needed to get a non-immigrant B visa.

working w/o a proper visa is the worst of the worst, these people should get deported right away after a nice stay in the BKK Hilton

Whilst i don't condone the above practise, i think "worst of the worst" is a gross exaggeration !! Someone works without a work permit...big deal . Its hard enough to imagine why the Thais would care about that , but almost impossible to imagine why any foreigners would . As for suggesting that they should stay at the "Hilton" for such a trivial thing , words fail me .

working w/o a proper visa is the worst of the worst, these people should get deported right away after a nice stay in the BKK Hilton

Whilst i don't condone the above practise, i think "worst of the worst" is a gross exaggeration !! Someone works without a work permit...big deal . Its hard enough to imagine why the Thais would care about that , but almost impossible to imagine why any foreigners would . As for suggesting that they should stay at the "Hilton" for such a trivial thing , words fail me .

Spot on atlastaname, It dos'nt even warrant words, but a visit themselves to bring them back to reality.

DON'T DO IT.... IT'S ILLEGAL...
The consequence is arrest,

time in the Immigration Detention Centre in Bangkok which is reported to be awful,

then deportation.

DON'T DO IT.... IT'S ILLEGAL...

totster :D

MAI SANOOK!

Er... Don´t do it.

It isn´t the hugest crime in the world, sure, but there a hundred countries where you can. So please, go to another country to work illegaly. In thailand, it is very ill seen, and will give a lot of others who are legal grief, indirectly.

:o I heard that some illegal workers are fed to the tigers at the tiger temple in Kan.... and if you are lucky to get away with that, they will cut off your balls and feed them to the crocs in the bkk croc farm. Don´t do it!:D:D

Edited by kayo

Spot on atlastaname, It dos'nt even warrant words, but a visit themselves to bring them back to reality.

Yes, a little over the top in the disapproval stakes methinks, but I can certainly understand why those who take the time, trouble and expense to keep within the law get a tad irked at chancers openly looking to try it on...

I am curious to know what are the odds of getting caught working with a tourist visa?

Also, I would appreciate it if someone can furnish me with a link to a site that has a list of specific and current documents needed to get a non-immigrant B visa.

why are you willing to base your decisions on odds? either you want to work illegally and then do it, but dont come crying if you get flushed down the toilet. or do it the legal way, which may be more expensive and time consuming but in the end you won't have to worry day and night about being caught.

In the United States I am familiar with many Thais who live and work here illegally. They even own houses and send their kids to public schools.

In the US public policy is to treat all illegal aliens with dignity and repect.

I'm sure the Thai government would be outraged if their citizens abroad were treated the way the Thai government treats illegals in Thailand.

No comments on if I thinks it OK or not, but I have known someone thats done it for more than 3 years and still going strong.

Maybe you could buy your way out of trouble if caught but I'm not sure.

Personally if you were caught depending n the case I think it would be a fine and deportation, even if the law says something else.

If you want to do it do it and to get any real life know on the subject would be to come here and do it and ask your fellow colluges as if your working with no W/P I'm sure they are too.

As for the non imm B visa its very easy if your UK citerzen just call your local consulate and they will tell you.

You are all trying to draw it up in black or white. I think it depends a lot on what kind of work the OP is intending to do.

I've read posts by people on this board who don't make a secret out of the fact that they are farming altough that is on the A-list of things farang's can't do while in Thailand.

There are also links on this forum to a government website which says more or less that working via the Internet is ok.

Basically the OP needs to provide more information before a reasonably qualified answer can be given.

You are all trying to draw it up in black or white. I think it depends a lot on what kind of work the OP is intending to do.

I've read posts by people on this board who don't make a secret out of the fact that they are farming altough that is on the A-list of things farang's can't do while in Thailand.

There are also links on this forum to a government website which says more or less that working via the Internet is ok.

Basically the OP needs to provide more information before a reasonably qualified answer can be given.

Can you substantiate the links to the "government website which says more or less that working via the Internet is ok"? :o

First off, I'm sorry but I've been in transit from Thai to Bristol (England) so footy predictions are right out the window!!! (so at least no one else need worry about finishing last, because That is my job!!)

I do believe that it largely depends on where you are working in Thailand, I work in a border town where there is a need for English speakers/ teachers, I have had no problem in teaching.

The Hilton is a touch on the dramatic side and should be judged so.

Come on...... common sense rules in every situation, it is definitely not black and white so I would suggest testing the water.

I am not an old fart so open to change and receiving new opinions (unlike many expats!) back in England, all beit for 4 months, I would advise more confidence in yourself and just see what happens........

In the United States I am familiar with many Thais who live and work here illegally. They even own houses and send their kids to public schools.

In the US public policy is to treat all illegal aliens with dignity and repect.

I'm sure the Thai government would be outraged if their citizens abroad were treated the way the Thai government treats illegals in Thailand.

yeah but personally I haven´t seen many farang working all the jobs thai citizens DO NOT wish to do. Be it short order cook, or taking out the trash, or cleaning offices at 6 am.... Which is usually the case in our countries.

I mean, the way they treat foreigners and illegals in the U.S. AND in my myriad european countries is not, - No sorry, I must express rage here... - THEY DO NOT treat them with any more dignity or respect than say... Look.... If you want your dog to get your slippers and paper for you, you don´t kick your dog around. Doesn´t mean you are treating him with respect and dignity though.

There are two laws to be broken, the first is not having a workpermit which is handled by the labour department and the second is breaking immigration law by not holding the proper non immigrant visa...

If you do hold the proper visa, you'll only deal with the labour department, where you might get lucky and be guided into getting legal instead of being arrested. Unless they actually charge you, immigration will not even be involved since you didn't break any immigration laws (yet, if you do get charged and found guilty, your visa will be declared void)

If do not hold a visa, or only a tourist visa, you'll be in big problems, since these visa's clearly state that employment is prohibited and you would be in clear breach of immigration law.

Consequences would be arrest, detention at the IDC (which is even worse then the Bangkok Hilton) deportation and very possible blacklisting for a certain amount of time...

Bottom line, don't do it, unless you're working in your bedroom on the internet and don't start shouting it from the roofs...

Another point to bear in mind is that if you get into a problem with the Police for something completely unrelated to the Visa/WP issue, lets say a traffic accident for arguments sake, then its discovered that your status is not legal, then you have a compounded problem.

In saying that, in the many years I have worked and lived here I am yet to hear of anybody who has had a serious problem with not having a WP or indeed anyone who has been on overstay. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not advocating the OP or anyone to break the law, just stating my experience of knowing more than a few people working without a WP.

Has anyone got any real experience of being caught or even know of someone who has been caught? It would be good to hear from people with real life experience rather than the ‘hang em high’ BKK Hilton brigade.

Op - what are the odds of getting caught? I'd say practically nil.

I don't advise doing it but in 13 years of being here I've known hundreds of English teachers, and others doing it. How many have been caught - ZERO.

I did it myself, working for some good universities, and even royal schools.

Barry Kenyon who is the Honorary Consul (Pattaya) for the British Embassy, in a interview in Stickman's weekly newsletter, stated the following several weeks ago

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly2006/weekly265.htm

Another category of things we deal with are arrests and imprisonments. That is about 2 a week. You can go a month without seeing one. Some never go to court and simply spend a night in the cells before being released.

What's the most common reason for arrest?

Overwhelmingly they are visa overstay. Perhaps as many as 70%. People don't always want to go home. Staying here with insufficient funds and sooner or later they get caught.

What happens to these people?

Some people never get caught. We have had people here 4 or 5 years on overstay and eventually they gave themselves up. They may have slept rough on the beach, for years in some cases. Not many, but some. They got a bit desperate as anyone without money does. Maybe they try to steal from the supermarket, drink a beer and not pay for it, things like that.

The people who get cheated that way usually call the police. And when the police arrive it soon comes out that they are on overstay and often have other problems, nowhere to live, no money etc.

We can not pay their fines. We cannot get people out of prison or pay fines - even though that is what they often want!

We can make them aware of this situation and whether it is serious or not. We can let them know where they are in the system, bail matters if applicable, legal advice, that is if they have money for a lawyer.

It is not always visa overstay. There are others such as working without a work permit, the second most common reason for arrest this. Some people are naive. They do not even know this!

An alien who receives a non-immigrant visa can work in Thailand after having received a work permit. Any violation thereof shall make the employee liable for prosecution and imprisonment not exceeding three months, or a fine not exceeding five-thousand Baht, or both penalties.

An alien who performs work that is prescribed by the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) which prohibits alien employment in certain occupations and professions is liable for prosecution and imprisonment not exceeding five years, or a fine from 2,000 to 10,000 Baht, or both penalties.

www.lawyer.th.com

a freind of mine got busted serving drinks in his restauraunt because a local restauraunt owner called the cops. he'd been there for years. the cops told him to get a work permit, which he did, no harm, no foul.

by the way, i agree with moonchaser, working without a WP is far worse than murder or rape. those people should be shot! or worse, sent back to england!

Edited by stevehaigh

QUOTE(monty @ 2006-06-30 10:17:45) *

detention at the IDC (which is even worse then the Bangkok Hilton)

No it's not. At IDC, the food is reasonably good and the cells are kept spotlessly clean. Also, you do not mix with the Thai criminal population.

Yes it is, or was a few years back.

It is better to mix with the Thai criminals.

a freind of mine got busted serving drinks in his restauraunt because a local restauraunt owner called the cops. he'd been there for years. the cops told him to get a work permit, which he did, no harm, no foul.

by the way, i agree with moonchaser, working without a WP is far worse than murder or rape. those people should be shot! or worse, sent back to england!

Moonchaser??? working w/o WP is worse than murder or rape???? sent back to England???

something is wrong here.....better read what you posted here when you sober again. :o

rcm :D

I was there in 2002. People being brought in from detention centres from around the country unanimously agreed the food was better at IDC in Bangkok.

The toilets and showers were cleaned three times a day by the African contingent. Other guests payed a one time fee of 100 Bt so they didn't have to do it. They were so clean you could eat you dinner off of it.

Noway is the conditions at IDC worse that the Bangkok Hilton.

if you are talking about the inmates you mix with, then that is purely subjective.