Bangkok: Wildlife officials seize 75 restricted birds in Chatuchak Market

webfact

Wildlife officials seize 75 restricted birds in Chatuchak Market

BANGKOK 3 October, 2011 - The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation has stepped up its efforts against the illegal trade in wildlife and has seized 75 restricted birds. Aside from intercepting animal smuggling in border areas, a special body has been set up to confront the wildlife trade in the capital.

The Chief of the National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department, Sakda Vichiensilp announced that he had assigned officials to inspect pet shops in Chatuchak Market to identify wildlife traders. A total of 75 restricted birds were seized while the vendors were on the run.

The birds included the White-rumped shama, the Racket-tailed Treepie, a Myna and a Red-whiskered bulbul.

According to the department, the move came after complaints about the blatant sale of animals taken from the wild, in Chatuchak Market where protected species such as flying squirrels and woodpeckers, and are also offered at high prices.

The assigned authorities have the right to arrest those involved in the activity. Vendors of wild animals face a jail term of up to four years or a fine of 40,000 THB or both.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-14 footer_n.gif

This types of criminal activity really should be punished by the Death Penalty.

Now on the Thai Visa postings:

Death penalty for:

rape and murder

vote buying

protected bird selling

• Like 1

I see those red whiskered bulbuls and mynas in cages that they sell to set them free all over. Not exactly endangered, but good to put some pressure on the silly practice.

Edit....back then 55.

-*I typed this myself*-

Edited by taony