Cities in Thailand Where A Westerner Can (More Or Less) Blend In

squarethecircle

I started a thread on this subject previously, but the question seemed to be unclear, so I will rephrase it. I'm looking for recommendations of cities in Thailand where a "obviously foreign" westerner can more-or-less blend in. I found this previously in a city in the east coast of China called Hangzhou, where I felt (despite my obvious foreignness) as just another face in the crowd. One clear measure of this is that I was called out by the equivalent of "f*rang" exactly 0 times over the better part of the year I was there, (yet just down the road in SH the word for "foreigner" became the standard form of address, call me sensitive but it doesn't feel welcoming). Yet it seems the people in HZ have an attitude where if you're a well-dressed and dignified "f*rang" you're accepted as just another member of the crowd.

So I'm curious if such cities exist in Thailand. Previous posters recommended Roi Et, Cha-Am, Phrapradaeng, Aranyapratet, and Bangyai Nothaburi, and after researching these places they seem like they'll turn out to be exactly what I'm looking for - nice cities off the main tourist trails with reputations for having decent people - so I started this thread to try to get some more recommendations for such places. I'll be glad to clarify the question but I'm looking for names of cities. Cheers

Edited by Rooo
Font

Pattaya.

What happened to Roi Et ?

I did say Roi-Et but I think to really blend in I can only think of Pattaya. The mention of Roi-Et has stirred responses of "please check my pulse, I'm bored to death" in other posters.

Pattaya.

I think that violates all 3 of the criteria he is seeking, doesn't it?

He said he is looking for " (1) nice cities (2) off the main tourist trails with (3) reputations for having decent people"

I really should read the question.

Pattaya.

He said he is looking for " (1) nice cities (2) off the main tourist trails with (3) reputations for having decent people"

But you live in Roi Et.

"I think that violates all 3 of the criteria he is seeking, doesn't it?

He said he is looking for " (1) nice cities (2) off the main tourist trails with (3) reputations for having decent people""

Wasn't he being sarcastic? Actually the hints in the last post just changed my plans and I will probably swing by both
Phrapradaeng and Bangyai Nonthaburi when I'm in the area after 1-2 weeks (assuming I get my 30-day visa-free entry, otherwise I'll be in Vientiane applying for a TV), I'd appreciate more suggestions.

• Like 1

Pattaya.

But you live in Roi Et.

About 70km north of Roi-Et. I like it anyway. It has fantastic garden centres and it's laid back yet rather clean and well kept. It has a Makro and a Big C too, which is handy. Also DIY stores.

Bueng Phalan Chai is nice to take the kids boating.

Roi-Et.jpg

Got a very tall Buddha image too . . .

Wat_thai_temple-2.jpg

• Like 2

re

pattaya

you mean pattayas not nice ?

just joshin .. dave2

post-42592-0-54011100-1405384089_thumb.j

"I think that violates all 3 of the criteria he is seeking, doesn't it?

He said he is looking for " (1) nice cities (2) off the main tourist trails with (3) reputations for having decent people""

Wasn't he being sarcastic? Actually the hints in the last post just changed my plans and I will probably swing by both Phrapradaeng and Bangyai Nonthaburi when I'm in the area after 1-2 weeks (assuming I get my 30-day visa-free entry, otherwise I'll be in Vientiane applying for a TV), I'd appreciate more suggestions.

Phrapradaeng, best of luck with that one, what the poster forgot to mention was, dirty. noisy polluted industrial area.

Dont forget its ugly twin sister Phrasamutchedi.

You will never escape the "farang" notation here in Tland. I hear it from all sorts of professionals such as doctors, lawyers and the like so if they don't have the sensibility to refrain good luck with everyone else.

Khon Kaen.

Is that a joke? Some nice people like everywhere else but you'll hear farang just like everywhere else. Actually probably here it less in Bkok than smaller centers.

Edited by losworld

Khon Kaen.

Is that a joke? Some nice people like everywhere else but you'll hear farang just like everywhere else. Actually probably here it less in Bkok than smaller centers

You are just as big of a falang as you are buk si dar in all of Thailand. Area makes not one speck of difference, and really the whole op makes not a whole bunch of sense(no offence op).

But anyway, carry on.

My advice is a small village, anywhere, but a small village.

In the beginning you will be "the farang", that is right. But if you try to blend with them (you are the one who has to blend in, not the other way around) you will see it is pretty easy and in the end they don't point at you saying "farang" but just smile at you or sa-wa-dee you when you cross with them. There are many of them. And farang is not really an insult or a despective way to address you.

• Like 2

OK so the OP's asking:

"Is there anywhere in Thailand where I can turn up and, provided I look "respectable", all the locals will be politically correct and be oblivious to the fact that I'm Caucasian, won't realise that I don't speak Thai and will resist the urge to overcharge me?"

Sounds like the sort of clown who wais the cleaning lady.

Anybody who wants indifference can have it by NOT trying too hard to ingratiate oneself or fit in, NOT walking around hand in hand with off-duty sex workers and NOT being seen drunk in public.

Unfortunately for the OP, it doesn't happen overnight

If you do live enough time in any Thai city with small expat community, you will become not one more "farang"..you will be the local "farang" and you will have the time of your life....After living more than 2 years outside Lampang, and telling everybody in the local market that I was moving to other city for personal reasons...I saw tears in their faces. I was there every day, not shopping, just practicing my Thai with all the vendors and teaching English to the kids around...Having a lot of fun too!

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

If you do live enough time in any Thai city with small expat community, you will become not one more "farang"..you will be the local "farang" and you will have the time of your life....After living more than 2 years outside Lampang, and telling everybody in the local market that I was moving to other city for personal reasons...I saw tears in their faces. I was there every day, not shopping, just practicing my Thai with all the vendors and teaching English to the kids around...Having a lot of fun too!

OK cheers, we'll give this a shot. Cheers, STC