No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

So what happens if we change jobs here in Thailand, we must leave the country at present to get a new visa in order to stay. If someone is having a bad day in Vientiane and turns down your 90 day non-b because of not having 1 document in a million, would we be allowed back in the country?

Get a tourist visa.

Will you have a history of back to back tourist visas?

No, so no problem.

post-128-0-94644600-1404139832.jpg

The above directive is interesting in that it refers to ONLY the visa exemption scheme, at no point does it mention tourist visas (TR) indeed it is asking that people obtain visas before trying to enter Thailand. It seems that the interpretation of the directive, by the IO's at some crossings, is not in line with the directive from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but then again, the IO's are not under the jurisdiction of the MFA. It would seem that the IO's are banning people with tourist visas not because of the MFA directive, but because of some other instruction from their 'top brass' or just because 'they can'. You should also note that the MFA directive suggests that action to prohibit entry to Thailand will only take place after 12th August with just warnings being issued prior to that date, this is not what the IO's have been doing.

Edited by PREM-R

We all know what a VISA RUN is..... come on.

Why so many sour grumpy comments on something every nation tries to do.... control its borders? Obama is catching hell for not doing that in USA. No place I know lets people just drop in and take up living forever without cause.

It is the immigration officials' JOB to evaluate every person entering and that person's specific case; so what appears to some as arbitrary judgments are actually individualized treatment. That way, legitimate entries can be discussed, understood, and acted on. I suspect most of the charges of "too arbitrary" come from hearsay or people who DESERVE scrutiny. Some others are too haughty just to give simple clear answers about their situation.

There does seem an urgent need for foreigners who wish to REFORM and do the right things.... to be able to convert from 'the runs' to legitimate visas. However, it does look like some folks will have to face some facts they have been dodging for years and aren't gonna like it.

• Like 1

A number of offensive and off topic postshave been removed.

Forum rule 11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 1

Have you ever noticed the thousands of Russian "ladies of the night" plying theit trade in Pattaya, ...

Where in Pattaya? Most Russian I saw are tourists or have some jobs like "interpreter".

I never saw any Russian lady "playing her trade", even around Walking Street.

• Sad 1

This doesn't effect me but I'm intrigued by all the uncertainty. Can anyone tell me when they are going to stop giving 60 day tourist visas at embassies outside of Thailand. Will these be replaced with 30 day tourist visas? If so, surely it's better just to get a free 30 day stamp instead of going through the hassle of getting a proper visa, providing you aren't a "visa runner", which I assume means back to back entries? And, what is the grace period for back to back entries to be deemed acceptable.

I I am not judging the move, they are just moving with the times. Allowing back to back Visa runs with stamps as a way to remain is archaic. This has seriously not been thought out well at all though.

They shouldn't have mentioned the idea before thinking about it first and providing proper information.

Added: I've never done a visa run before as I've gone for the 60 day tourist visa and had it converted to non-I'm b at Bangkok. When my visa expires next May I will need 30 more days here so, ironically, it's now looking like a visa run is my best option, if the 1,000 baht Tourist Visa is shortened to 30 days and requires 2-3 days out of the Country to obtain. Funny world.

Edited by KevWaters

I was hassled at immigration at Suvarnibhumi airport last month coming back. I work in Africa on a one month/ one month cycle and I had a return ticket 26 days later. They tried to say I was working here. This time I will have pay slips for the preceding 3 months to show my income comes from elsewhere, return ticket to Tanzania and a letter stating I work for the drilling company for the last month and one staing I will be working for them the following month. I still envisage problems as I have many Thai stamps in my passport. Spoke to a friend at Kap Choeng that is in charge there and he said I am all legal but cannot guarantee I will not have issues. Can anyone see problems with entering the kingdom?

Yes they see many tourist visas and exempt entries in my passport and they show they disapproval leading to much delay. Everything is discretionary with immigration. Do not rely on hard and fast rules or your rights as an alien.

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

Will Immigration start splitting up families?

No I don't think so.

A one year NON-IMM Multiple entry visa costs only 5000 baht and is valid for a year. A man who is married and or with children should be able to scratch that together. When in a real financial jam the married foreigner can always get a 60 day extension for the low price of 1900 baht.

What's clear is married people are no longer going to be able to live here using back to back visa exempt/tourist visa extensions.

If you have a NON-IMM Multi you're still could be doing back-to-back visits to stay here long term. That sounds a lot like I/O.

• Like 1

Problem I see here isnt the new rules so much as the D**K heads that you sometimes can be unfortunate enough to meet at immigration interpreting whatever they want depending on if they got into an argument with the missus before they went to work.

i know far too many people who have run afoul of those from time to time. plenty of people coming in and out of LOS regular to do business apart from anything else, done a few turn around meetings over a border myself then back the same day or next for legit reasons in the past on the way out of Thailand a few days later by plane.

Sometimes tourists cross borders for the day for a look see like mai sai or over the friendship bridge just to come back later and carry on touring about Thailand, they wont be welcome either then. Heck I was in and out of Thailand for a good few months while deciding whether to stick around or not without wasting money on a multiple. Or when a visa has run its course and I dont want another before popping off someplace else ill extend on a tourist for a few weeks if out of town and near a border. This wont make things better for a lot that are just going about their lives and not really trying to stiff the system at all

There is nothing to say how immigration will interpret hub skippers to malaysia or cambodia ankor wat 2 day trippers then back or Vientiene trippers. Or for that matter anyone who trips out to singapore for a days meeting and back or anyhwere else for short meetings ... stamps can build up. There are plenty I know who pop in every few months or even weeks both to do business or for pleasure, these all use the entry visa. If they are in and out in 2 weeks or less then come back the same day are they in the net too ?

Asian nationals are the very worst for this btw.

Thats the problem with making yourself the hub of Asia and you dont have a decent rules defined with well run immigration that all work off the same page.

Its all ok until it isnt and then your screwed. Idiots here need to understand there is more to using tourist visas than trying to stay forever here. Just wait until ASEAN and all the people in and out for family visits and stuff .. its going to be a real mess.

IMO there will be a LOT of mistakes

• Like 2

Can anyone say whether or not doing a border run is still acceptable if you have a proper non B visa? If not traveling home the the states i often like to cross the border just as a day trip and spend some time in chiang rai. Beats the hell out of chiang mai immigration. It sounds like this is about tourist visa abuse, but still leaves lots of uncertainty? Non immigration B still able to in and out?? Thanks to anyone who can answer.

Should be OK.

Wonder what will happen to all those foreigners that are married, have children, but don't have enough money to get a Non-Imm visa based on marriage.

I hope so.

These guys should have thought about the correct visa before getting married and having kids.

A little forward planning/saving may have helped them here.

Do you not think you're being a bit too ruthless here? Especially when your talking about situations and family circumstances that have no bearing on you.

Not everyone plans to have children or make having children a financial decision. If everyone did would you or I even be here?

• Like 2

This really is tiresome. Surely the fact of the matter is that if you have the correct visa and/or documentation then you will be allowed to enter Thailand. I for one have no problem with the authorities refusing entry to people who are trying to abuse the system and there are many thousands of them. Do it the right way or find somewhere else to live and leave those of us who are here legally and legitimately to enjoy the delights of living in Thailand. Thank you.

sounds like you want all the pussy for yourself 555
  • Like 1

This doesn't effect me but I'm intrigued by all the uncertainty. Can anyone tell me when they are going to stop giving 60 day tourist visas at embassies outside of Thailand. Will these be replaced with 30 day tourist visas? If so, surely it's better just to get a free 30 day stamp instead of going through the hassle of getting a proper visa, providing you aren't a "visa runner", which I assume means back to back entries? And, what is the grace period for back to back entries to be deemed acceptable.

I I am not judging the move, they are just moving with the times. Allowing back to back Visa runs with stamps as a way to remain is archaic. This has seriously not been thought out well at all though.

They shouldn't have mentioned the idea before thinking about it first and providing proper information.

why would they stop 60 day tourist visas?

Can anyone tell me when they are going to stop giving 60 day tourist visas at embassies outside of Thailand. Will these be replaced with 30 day tourist visas?

Don't be ridiculous. They will not change the actual 60-days tourist visa.

All that just because someone made a report that some officer, in a lost small border office, may have said that...

Be serious please.

You only need 40K/month for a visa based on marriage or a kid. Even an English teacher makes that.

the number's now 65K/month or 800K in the bank or any combo equating to that. Starting English teachers *might* get half that, but then they'd already have a WP ...wouldn't they!!

Ah Thailand, Land of Perplexities

Can anyone tell me when they are going to stop giving 60 day tourist visas at embassies outside of Thailand. Will these be replaced with 30 day tourist visas?

All that just because someone made a report that some officer, in a lost small border office, may have said that...

Be serious please.

He did say the order came from Bangkok Immigration, can you link me to anything to the contrary?

Most tourists have onward or return travel documentation. Produce this and I imagine you will have no problems. 28 day on/off workers also have onward documentation and payslips, so I see no problem. When the dust has settled those with legitimate multi-entry tourist visas will have no problem. Those that will have the problem are the visa runners abusing the 28 day tourist visa exemption scheme. Well hard luck boys and girls, get legitimate!

• Like 1

You only need 40K/month for a visa based on marriage or a kid. Even an English teacher makes that.

the number's now 65K/month or 800K in the bank or any combo equating to that. Starting English teachers *might* get half that, but then they'd already have a WP ...wouldn't they!!

65K/month or 800K in the bank, that is the figures for retirement not for marriage or kids.

So what happens if we change jobs here in Thailand, we must leave the country at present to get a new visa in order to stay. If someone is having a bad day in Vientiane and turns down your 90 day non-b because of not having 1 document in a million, would we be allowed back in the country?

Get a tourist visa.

Will you have a history of back to back tourist visas?

No, so no problem.

Thanks for the clarification. I was a bit concerned because of the line:

"Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Technically we would be leaving to return straight away so I was worried it may apply.

Can anyone tell me when they are going to stop giving 60 day tourist visas at embassies outside of Thailand.

Will these be replaced with 30 day tourist visas?

Be serious please.

He did say the order came from Bangkok Immigration, can you link me to anything to the contrary?

No. I read again and what I find is:

"have been ordered by the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok to deny entry to foreigners holding 60-days Tourist visas."

He didn't talk about "stop giving 60 days tourist visa" or "replaced with 30 day tourist visas"

its 400,000 for those married to a thai

• Like 1

Problem I see here isnt the new rules so much as the D**K heads that you sometimes can be unfortunate enough to meet at immigration interpreting whatever they want depending on if they got into an argument with the missus before they went to work.

i know far too many people who have run afoul of those from time to time. plenty of people coming in and out of LOS regular to do business apart from anything else, done a few turn around meetings over a border myself then back the same day or next for legit reasons in the past on the way out of Thailand a few days later by plane.

Sometimes tourists cross borders for the day for a look see like mai sai or over the friendship bridge just to come back later and carry on touring about Thailand, they wont be welcome either then. Heck I was in and out of Thailand for a good few months while deciding whether to stick around or not without wasting money on a multiple. Or when a visa has run its course and I dont want another before popping off someplace else ill extend on a tourist for a few weeks if out of town and near a border. This wont make things better for a lot that are just going about their lives and not really trying to stiff the system at all

There is nothing to say how immigration will interpret hub skippers to malaysia or cambodia ankor wat 2 day trippers then back or Vientiene trippers. Or for that matter anyone who trips out to singapore for a days meeting and back or anyhwere else for short meetings ... stamps can build up. There are plenty I know who pop in every few months or even weeks both to do business or for pleasure, these all use the entry visa. If they are in and out in 2 weeks or less then come back the same day are they in the net too ?

Asian nationals are the very worst for this btw.

Thats the problem with making yourself the hub of Asia and you dont have a decent rules defined with well run immigration that all work off the same page.

Its all ok until it isnt and then your screwed. Idiots here need to understand there is more to using tourist visas than trying to stay forever here. Just wait until ASEAN and all the people in and out for family visits and stuff .. its going to be a real mess.

IMO there will be a LOT of mistakes

philippino working illegally put 100 baht in their passport when crossing border. This used to work well. I don't know now. Perhaps all they're wanting is a note in the farang passport but are to shy to ask, loss of face.

can someone assure me that I can use my triple entry visa that was issued in Britain on 5th may!, I am about to do my 1st ever visa run on a clean passport (.i.e. no border stamps) . Have never done a visa run in the past?.

you'll be welcome with open arms and legs. No worries for you mate.
  • Like 1

From my reading of all this the back to back visa runners are in trouble. What they are also saying is that back to back visa runners who then suddenly get a tourist visa to enter are not tourists either and will be refused entry too.

I think it is very basic there approach - if you want to work get the right visa - if you are a genuine tourist get the right visa - if you want to study get the right visa - etc etc etc - people who just want to live here but do not fit into the right category are basically being told to move on.

This has been coming for a while now. Immigration / Visa's have been abused. However its nothing that many of our own countries dont do so we should not be so surprised.

• Like 1