No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

you'll be fine. youre not doing an Out/In

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

• Like 2

Nobody knows including the guy at immigration.

Good luck with that.

care to show ONE example where a double entry tourist visa has been refused after a 7 day trip out?

• Like 1

narrithiwat crossing 4 days ago the group coming back from Penang with double entry tourist visas

It does say After August 12th, and adjoining boders will be stopped, its very easy to understand you know, what happened 4 days ago will be irelevant

• Like 1

narrithiwat crossing 4 days ago the group coming back from Penang with double entry tourist visas

It does say After August 12th, and adjoining boders will be stopped, its very easy to understand you know, what happened 4 days ago will be irelevant

some one asked for an example ...I gave one ... and your excuse is?coffee1.gif .....i am very aware of whats going on and the 12th Aug date ..so what is your idiotic point?

Edited by terryp
  • Like 1

whistling.gif As in everything the "devil is in the details".

Exactly how this will be interpreted by the local immigration entry point is unclear.

We will begin hearing a chorus of "but I've always done it this way" from those "tourists" who use a double entry and/or triple entry tourist visa to stay in Thailand.

They could come under real tough scrutiny even on an entry by AIR after the 12th of August.

The rationale may be, "Tourists visa are for tourists, and some one who has 2 or 3 double entry tourist visas back to back might NOT be a tourist..... they might be using those "tourist" visas to stay illegally in Thailand and working here.

Now prove you are NOT doing that to be let in..

Also, I here predict that those who have several "ED visas" back to back in their passports might also have problems soon, even if they enter by air.

As I said it all depends on how the ruling is interpreted by the local immigration office.

And, honestly, no one can predict right now exactly what interpretation will be.

That includes those arriving by air at swampy.

It will be chaotic, that's for sure.

As the Chinese saying goes, "May you be cursed to live in "interesting" times".

rolleyes.gif

i'm betting that the double/triple TV's that are acquired back to back will be targeted no matter land sea or air arrival. The government has as much as said so already. what is unclear is whether a keen IO will go after someone doing a quick turnaround on the next entry of a double or triple entry.

right here on TV ...or do you only read what you post?

the discussion was this:

Nobody knows including the guy at immigration.

Good luck with that.

My answer:

care to show ONE example where a double entry tourist visa has been refused after a 7 day trip out?

are you claiming that someone was refused entry in narathiwat when trying to enter on the second entry of a double entry tourist visa after being absent from thailand for a number of days? I have seen no such post!

The 64,000 dollar question is:

What is the minimum amount of time a suspected visa-runner should stay out of the kingdom to avoid the dreaded O-I stamp?

Will it be 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours, or is it going to be another arbitrary decision based on the whim of each border agent?

Off-topic side note: This past week I have been inundated with requests to teach or tutor English. Requests are coming from all directions. I say no because I am not a qualified English teacher. Are a lot of undocumented English teachers packing up and leaving?

I am curious about this also. When I was a teacher, it was like pulling teeth to get my employer to get me my WP. It eventually got done but sometimes needed to do a I-O.

Schools will now need to be more proactive and only hire those with a degree.