No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

So...just to be clear. If I am from the USA on a 90 day tourist visa, I will have to leave for how long before I come back? I have no problem staying in Siem Reap for a few months. Is it 90 in 90 out? Kicking myself for not getting the 1 year student visa.

you mean a 60 day tourist visa witha 30 day extension?

^ Not sure, but that is my plan also, but not sure of the exact answer. I will base myself in Cambodia with the $300 visa. You can then travel out and back in as much as I want. If Thailand says no, then I will just spend my cash elsewhere.

• Like 2

So...just to be clear. If I am from the USA on a 90 day tourist visa, I will have to leave for how long before I come back? I have no problem staying in Siem Reap for a few months. Is it 90 in 90 out? Kicking myself for not getting the 1 year student visa.

Nobody knows. You'll have to wait for immigration's clarification.

I feel sorry for the guys who are going to get frozen out, esp the teachers. Thailand needs all the English teachers it can get, even if non-native, but whole WP is far too much work for too little reward. Will be interesting to see how this impacts demographics: finally us old farts will become even more attractive to the ladies who are in hunting mode. And this should really gut TAT estimates for number of tourists coming to Thailand. We could actually find out how many tourists do come here without the inflated numbers due to runners.

When jobs disappear for Thais in expat spots, classrooms suddenly lack teachers, and property values drop.... will Thailand then come up with reasonable work visa and long term resident standards?

No, they will not understand what happened.

Sad but 100% true.

This is so frustrating. I have a girl (not married) and we have a little boy. I am the sole provider for both, I am here on a year long multiple entry visa and usually just do a visa run every 3 months and then after the 12 months go back to Australia and get another year long multiple entry visa. This is going to make things very difficult for me, I just want the best for my little boy..

ive seen nothing that suggests it will affect you

Hope so, lets see what happens on my next visa run (sept 1st) ... never know with these thai officials.

@wisemonkey - For the sake of your family don't take someone's word on here or just see what happens. Seek professional assistance from someone that knows the laws/system very soon so arrangements or what not can be made just in case you're denied in Sept.

What about my condo ? It's up for sale at 1.8 million. I was expecting to get my return of investment back. After all, I have invested money in this country but I'm still a tourist.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why would you buy a condo on a tourist visa? Perhaps you saved so much money on hotel bills it was worth it. Where is your condo? Are you selling?

What about my condo ? It's up for sale at 1.8 million. I was expecting to get my return of investment back. After all, I have invested money in this country but I'm still a tourist.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

why would you buy a condo on a tourist visa? Perhaps you saved so much money on hotel bills it was worth it. Where is your condo? Are you selling?

lots of people buy condos in sunny climes to use on their holidays and to rent out other times

• Like 1

The Elite card even gets you a 20% discount at SIAM Ocean World, LOL

I am surprised they can offer this with a straight face.

And don't forget their new MOU with MJets to provide discounted private jet travel to TE card members. Now all the under 50s with their PE visas no longer have to muck around the country or the world with even the lower-level Hi-Sos in first class. They can now enjoy the luxury of private business jet travel as privileged people in Thailand.

Also, supposedly they can flash their cards and use MJets private lounge at Swampy while waiting for their flights. I await some photos of this swanky lounge from UKRules being posted in the Swampy Airport sub forum at some future date (but of course, he doesn't have to leave Thailand for 5 or 6 years (no one seems to know) so it may be a long wait).

All the Thais are doing is enforcing the laws that already have been in place for a long time,but just relaxed,i have lived here for 20 years and had many visas and been legitimate ,its not hard to do,just get the right paperwork and play by the rules,i get my wife a UK visa every year for a holiday there and its a pain in the arse,a visa for Thailand is way easy compared to that.

what is the right paperwork for under 50 and single?

Education or marriage or business are your choices now

And don't forget their new MOU with MJets to provide discounted private jet travel to TE card members. Now all the under 50s with their PE visas no longer have to muck around the country or the world with even the lower-level Hi-Sos in first class. They can now enjoy the luxury of private business jet travel as privileged people in Thailand.

Also, supposedly they can flash their cards and use MJets private lounge at Swampy while waiting for their flights. I await some photos of this swanky lounge from UKRules being posted in the Swampy Airport sub forum at some future date (but of course, he doesn't have to leave Thailand for 5 or 6 years (no one seems to know) so it may be a long wait).

I see it oft quoted that they are cracking down on TV's etc to clear out criminals and mafia types. My gut tells me the 500k elite card will see an influx of New monies and applicants who fall into said demographic.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This is so frustrating. I have a girl (not married) and we have a little boy. I am the sole provider for both, I am here on a year long multiple entry visa and usually just do a visa run every 3 months and then after the 12 months go back to Australia and get another year long multiple entry visa. This is going to make things very difficult for me, I just want the best for my little boy..

ive seen nothing that suggests it will affect you

Hope so, lets see what happens on my next visa run (sept 1st) ... never know with these thai officials.

@wisemonkey - For the sake of your family don't take someone's word on here or just see what happens. Seek professional assistance from someone that knows the laws/system very soon so arrangements or what not can be made just in case you're denied in Sept.

You may wish to have your GF make documents claiming you are in custody of child and sole supporter. You may be able to get a Non O based on the child.

I see it oft quoted that they are cracking down on TV's etc to clear out criminals and mafia types. My gut tells me the 500k elite card will see an influx of New monies and applicants who fall into said demographic.

You mean they may finally reach their membership goal of 1 million members...up from the 2700 or so memberships "sold" over the past decade. :)

• Like 2

I think alot of falangs need to go back home and seriously get a reality check!.There are many drongo's moping around this island feeling sorry for them selves that I can see. its not hard to comply with the rules and regulations on this visa issue,and its about time the thai's goverment is auditing falangs on legalities on there stay in thailand, Present your passport boy or girl and state your purpose of stay in our kindom?ha, its good start to clean up some more corruption adding to this society.bring it on

• Like 1

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Many do, I am myself. What's it to you if someone under 50 can afford to take a year or two vacation?

I'm not working here, I have spent plenty of time in neighbouring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China- up to three months at a time), I have no problem if there is a rule that I have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period before coming back, I'm not working so I don't particularly need to be here and can find something to do or see somewhere else. The issue is that there is no clarity on what the rules are.

Actually many do NOT. And those under 50 looking to stay in a foreign country for more than 6 months are RARELY ever a tourist and should get a proper visa. Do many western countries let people stay for more than 6-months on a tourist visa?

There are easy to get visas for Thailand including tourist, education, retirement, business and family visiting visas available ... simple rule, get the right one and don't abuse the fact they allow many people to enter on a Visa Exempt Status or that you can get a tourist visa within 24-hours fairly simply.

And what if the junta abolished the retirement visa in the morning, you'd be OK with that? What if they required $1m for that visa, get rid of the trash?

What if Aliens come down from space tomorrow and sink all of Asia? I think the odds are about the same of this happening.

• Like 1

A lot of people are going to lose a lot. Including Thais. This is baby with bath water on steroids. Too inflexible and done too fast. It would be OK if there were now easier "real" visas, work permits, including legalization of online freelancing, etc. But there is not. On the condo market, no kidding, this is really bad for places like Pattaya. Cause and effect clearly not well considered on this one.

I disagree, many of us have been saying for years, that if you want to stay in Thailand, get the appropriate visa. People just dismissed it, now many are reaping the results. Not like they weren't warned that the Thai's would lose their patience. As to timing? Gee, I don't know, considering how long they have been issuing red stamps at surrounding Consulates, I think I would have gotten a hint by now.

I don't think this will have any measurable effect on the condo market which is a shame because it would be nice if more Thais could afford them and this is whose interest the government should have in mind. Not condo buyers who are only here for short periods and collect rent from other farangs when they are not.

Its still subject to the normal checks re Police etc. Admittedly, that hasnt stopped dirty money flooding into Singapore and HK, but that's a whole other thread.

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Many do, I am myself. What's it to you if someone under 50 can afford to take a year or two vacation?

I'm not working here, I have spent plenty of time in neighbouring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China- up to three months at a time), I have no problem if there is a rule that I have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period before coming back, I'm not working so I don't particularly need to be here and can find something to do or see somewhere else. The issue is that there is no clarity on what the rules are.

Actually many do NOT. And those under 50 looking to stay in a foreign country for more than 6 months are RARELY ever a tourist and should get a proper visa. Do many western countries let people stay for more than 6-months on a tourist visa?

There are easy to get visas for Thailand including tourist, education, retirement, business and family visiting visas available ... simple rule, get the right one and don't abuse the fact they allow many people to enter on a Visa Exempt Status or that you can get a tourist visa within 24-hours fairly simply.

And what if the junta abolished the retirement visa in the morning, you'd be OK with that? What if they required $1m for that visa, get rid of the trash?

What if Aliens come down from space tomorrow and sink all of Asia? I think the odds are about the same of this happening.

What's being abolished? Oh, the use of visas for purposes for which they were never intended. The visas themselves are still available for anyone who qualifies.

One or two Thaivisa members warned that the PDRC were anti farang. Now wait for the Junta to insist that those living here on retirement visas, marriage visas etc need to have a University degree, then we will see how many are applauding them.

• Like 2

One or two Thaivisa members warned that the PDRC were anti farang. Now wait for the Junta to insist that those living here on retirement visas, marriage visas etc need to have a University degree, then we will see how many are applauding them.

wait how long?

Nothing has changed...just enforcement of the rules. As for uni degrees, I've got no problem with that...just think of the improved level of intellectual discourse in the bars of pattaya that would result!

• Like 1

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today. It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air. Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

Nothing has changed...just enforcement of the rules. As for uni degrees, I've got no problem with that...just think of the improved level of intellectual discourse in the bars of pattaya that would result!
U sounds bit selfish

Ajarn.com just had an update from our Dept that a directive was issued today. It states no tourists can have back to back tourist visas now under any circumstances at any entry point, land or air. Info has always been very reliable from our source. Seems like this is a response to the much publicised issues on ThaiVisa.com from the weekend.

The plot thickens...definitely needs to be stirred some more.

• Like 1

The plot thickens...definitely needs to be stirred some more.
I saw somewhere same info coming from phuket immigration officer. That was yesterday.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Criminals hide without any visa or visarun... I saw a few people overstaying already 7-10 YEARS.... also the secretary at the embassy moaned why to hassle the tourists, the criminals will anyway to hide without any visas...

And how will they do when exiting Thailand ?
They will get one of new "ban" for 5 or 10years ?
They may not appreciate that and decide to change of country :-)

I think what Gabor says is wrong. "Proper" criminals will have the correct visas.

It may not be in their given names or their original passports, but they will have the correct visas.............................wink.png

How is it "anti farang"? The nationalities mostly being targeted are Asian. Far too much silly conjecture.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Now, those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa."

How did everybody miss this?

If a genuine tourist on a long stay gets a O-I sign in their passport how long are they not allowed to enter for?

And what is the "proper visa" next time they want to come in if they are under 50 and not working?

sorry but such an important decision, and all is given is a vague statement in The Nation is shambolic.

I think it is confirmed by information at Chong Chom today. ONE visa run only.

You go out and come back in you get "O-I" marked on the entry stamp. This suggests that you can come in for 30 days, go out/turn round and get another 30 days (if you are from a G7 country).

That is it.

Frankly, that is more than sufficient for the casual visitor/tourist.

As for under 50's not working, then marriage is the only option for a longer stay.

Not it isn't at all. All the young backpackers go out and in multiple times. Now a young group of aussies who just finished high school and want to spend some time travelling SEA are <deleted>. They can't fly into BKK, pop over to Siem Reap, come back Thailand, head up to Laos, etc.

They will get marked O/I and have their travel severely limited.

Thailand is going to lose big here. One of the reasons Thailand is so successful for tourism is because it is the hub for traveling around SEA. If tourists can no longer access a travel hub, then it will cease to be one. This could shack things up in a big way for genuine tourists.

However, if someone is continually coming in and going out, they will now need re-entry permits to keep their tourist visas valid. For the future, forget the visa exemption for that sort of travel.

Can't see them putting I/O next to a re-entry??

It is still all very unclear.

What about this situation?

University graduate leaves the country after 3 years of ED extension (prior to that a lot of "in/out" backpacker visas with gaps in between ranging from weeks to months) to get a tourist visa while making the transition from student to the workplace. Technically not a tourist because looking for work, but can't get any other visa until work is found. Would this be regarded as suspicious by the officials?