No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

It's totally hypocritical to ask people to get a work permit when immigration makes its application so hard and expensive.

Like if they did not need English teachers to prepare for ASEAN

Why does Thailand need to prepare for ASEAN...they were one it's founding members 50 years ago.

Thirty five pages later and I'm pretty sure we're right back where we started.

• No more back to back tourist visas.
  • No one knows what back to back means.
  • No one knows how long between visas is an acceptable break.
  • Elite, ED, Marriage and "I have a Thai kid" visas are the way to go - at least until they change.
  • Lots of conjecture, not a lot of facts, and it will be August 12th before we really figure anything out.

Does that about sum it up?

Don't laugh but................has anyone been to immigration to ask any of these questions?

I'm not in country, or I would. Although, I think getting a straight answer might prove difficult at this point. wink.png

I've been a tourist (or "tourist" for those of you with a time based definition of the word) in SEA (8 countries) for the last 5 years. I do not work. I use saved money from an EU country. I'm not 50 yet.

This is what I have in my current passport:

* TR visa (double entry) issued in May 2013 in Savannakhet, and used for two entries plus two extensions until November 2013, when I entered Malaysia.

* A three day visa exempt visit in Thailand in February 2014, and

* a TR visa (single entry) issued in May 2014 in Penang. It's now active and extended until August 12.

So some of my options are:

* Leave and spend my money elsewhere (which is fine for me).

* Go to Laos on holiday for a few weeks and also get a new tourist visa (and keep touring in Thailand).

* Study Thai and get an ED visa.

* Look for a job and get a work permit + non imm.

I would like to hear from you guys about my chances to do the TR in Laos alternative.

Will I have trouble getting back in?

How long should I stay in Laos before applying?

So does anyone know if this would be possible? I hope I didn't post this in the wrong thread.

Looks like a lot of foreigners are either leaving or will have to get married, have a child or get a retirement visa.

condos will be selling for peanuts soon

As usual condos will stay empty for years,but still ask top price.Dont know how or why they do it,but they do.

The condos are paid for and the owners know if they start selling them cheap, the whole market will plummet. Just wait until next upturn.

It's the new and current projects that'll take the hit. Projects that have started building but are not yet fully sold. They might end up never being built to completion and people will be losing their deposits.

I was hassled at immigration at Suvarnibhumi airport last month coming back. I work in Africa on a one month/ one month cycle and I had a return ticket 26 days later. They tried to say I was working here. This time I will have pay slips for the preceding 3 months to show my income comes from elsewhere, return ticket to Tanzania and a letter stating I work for the drilling company for the last month and one staing I will be working for them the following month. I still envisage problems as I have many Thai stamps in my passport. Spoke to a friend at Kap Choeng that is in charge there and he said I am all legal but cannot guarantee I will not have issues. Can anyone see problems with entering the kingdom?

I'm in same boat

It's totally hypocritical to ask people to get a work permit when immigration makes its application so hard and expensive.

Like if they did not need English teachers to prepare for ASEAN

Why does Thailand need to prepare for ASEAN...they were one it's founding members 50 years ago.

Because they can't communicate with each others, in Thailand people don't speak English

That URL has the information from change made long ago when all visa exempt land entries were reduced to 15 days.

First everyone got 30 days on arrival

Then they changed it to 15 days at land borders <- The above link appears to refer to this change

Then they changed it again in December 2013 to 30 days for people from G7 countries with everyone else remaining on 15 days

Now they've changed it to something else but nobody is quite sure what it is.

• Like 1

Already being enforced at Mae Sai border. Friend was denied another 30 days this morning (July 16th) entry after only having ONE other I/O in his passport. This would have been his 2nd time to the border and was denied another 30 days. They said they would give him 7 days, then he has to leave for good. No one could tell him how long he would have to leave for or if he flew in and out if there would be a different result.

He is not working, is not a free loader, just saved up for a year for finances so he could come on a three month holiday to enjoy the "land of smiles" everyone has been going on about for years. As if writing this, he has to leave the country within 6 days even though his air ticket isn't for another month, and he has to fly out of BKK. He's totally bummed and no one, not even immigration, can tell him if he will be permitted to enter again to fly out once he leaves.

This is going to be a huge mess for many innocent people who are able to take extended holidays. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell Thailand as paradise to tourists if all they are wanted is 30 days. Some people save up for dream vacations / adventures that last longer than 30 days. My first trip here was 45. Well done Thailand.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

Already being enforced at Mae Sai border. Friend was denied another 30 days this morning (July 16th) entry after only having ONE other I/O in his passport. This would have been his 2nd time to the border and was denied another 30 days. They said they would give him 7 days, then he has to leave for good. No one could tell him how long he would have to leave for or if he flew in and out if there would be a different result.

He is not working, is not a free loader, just saved up for a year for finances so he could come on a three month holiday to enjoy the "land of smiles" everyone has been going on about for years. As if writing this, he has to leave the country within 6 days even though his air ticket isn't for another month, and he has to fly out of BKK. He's totally bummed and no one, not even immigration, can tell him if he will be permitted to enter again to fly out once he leaves.

This is going to be a huge mess for many innocent people who are able to take extended holidays. It doesn't make a lot of sense to sell Thailand as paradise to tourists if all they are wanted is 30 days. Some people save up for dream vacations / adventures that last longer than 30 days. My first trip here was 45. Well done Thailand.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

if he was coming for 3 months why didnt he get a tourist visa?

Based on everything he read and was told, he didn't think it would be an issue. And he is right, it hasn't been up until this point. Just about everyone I know who has stayed over 30 days as a tourist did I/O with no problems whatsoever.

That said, the real issue with him is no one can/will tell him if he will be permitted back in to fly out without having to stay in the airport for a night after flying in from another country. Information would be nice, and I'm sure everyone feels the same way. People can deal with whatever they throw at them, but they need all the information to make proper decisions.

Based on everything he read and was told, he didn't think it would be an issue. And he is right, it hasn't been up until this point. Just about everyone I know who has stayed over 30 days as a tourist did I/O with no problems whatsoever.

That said, the real issue with him is no one can/will tell him if he will be permitted back in to fly out without having to stay in the airport for a night after flying in from another country. Information would be nice, and I'm sure everyone feels the same way. People can deal with whatever they throw at them, but they need all the information to make proper decisions.

whats his flight company?he can change airport and country(Kuala Lumpur) paying a fee.even cheaper maybe if he proves that authority wll not let him be in thailand.

every company has a different policy and some are very nice(airqatar,emirates,..)

a visa is far less hassle, i dont understand his thinking. 90 days with extension, no border run. incredible!

He can go to e.g Laos to get a Tourist visa. Fly back with printout of outward ticket, 20,000 Bt cash, he will be surely admitted.

In the unlikely case he's not, fly to e.g. Vietnam that is a nice place, enjoy his time there, then when it's time to return to his country, still use his original international ticket to go back home making a connection in BKK.

But it is right that he should have a got a visa in first place, just because that would have saved him the hassle of dangerous and uncomfortable border runs, for less than $100.

"condos will be selling for peanuts soon"

How many condos are owned by tourist visa runners? Zero.

how many condos are rented to illegal russian workers, hokers in pataya? 5 to 10 000 i guess, Koreams, chinese aso,

if the condos are empty the bussines will be finished to invest in Condos for rent out, All the thais who bought condos and houses to rent out to foreigners, if you cant stay long term you not rent long term, this should be clear or?

a visa is far less hassle, i dont understand his thinking. 90 days with extension, no border run. incredible!

incredible is what you saying

that was absolutely normal until 1 or 2 months ago

most of the tourists dont go on thaivisa,they buy the last edition of lonely planet and leave

nope, what is normal is a visa for an intended 3 month stay

but who rent this condos? all the illegal russian,chinese, korean workers in pty more then 10000 and 10000 empty condos and houses in pty will have a huge effect to the market

but who rent this condos? all the illegal russian,chinese, korean workers in pty more then 10000 and 10000 empty condos and houses in pty will have a huge effect to the market

Maybe I'll buy a real cheap condo in a year or two... We're already at the top of a bubble, the crash could be epic.

whats his flight company?he can change airport and country(Kuala Lumpur) paying a fee.even cheaper maybe if he proves that authority wll not let him be in thailand.

every company has a different policy and some are very nice(airqatar,emirates,..)

British Airways. I copied and pasted your post to him, that is a great idea, thanks.

It is less hassle, but most people do not get them in advance unless they have to because back to back has always been so easy. While this is not his case, it is not common info that they even need an extended tourist visa in the first place or that they can even get one OR that they will be given one. I was denied one in Singapore many years ago when I was first coming and going on a tourist visa. No reason, just denied. Had to use the normal 30 on arrival.

The problem is the rules change so much, and they change based on where you go to get them, or who you talk to for that matter.

He can go to e.g Laos to get a Tourist visa. Fly back with printout of outward ticket, 20,000 Bt cash, he will be surely admitted.

In the unlikely case he's not, fly to e.g. Vietnam that is a nice place, enjoy his time there, then when it's time to return to his country, still use his original international ticket to go back home making a connection in BKK.

He is probably going to Vietnam. I have a feeling surrounding countries are going to be getting an influx of people really soon.

nope, what is normal is a visa for an intended 3 month stay

Normal if:

a) You know you can get one.

cool.png They will give you one.

c) Border runs bother you. Some people, usually first timers, enjoy the adventure of going to borders.

Living here a while and you forget what it is like to explore a place for the first time, just hopping a bus and seeing where you end up, and so on. Many people love an adventure and don't always want every single last detail planned out. It didn't work out for my friend of course, but going to the Burmese border was a fun thing to do, not a hassle in any way, shape, or form. The army even got on the bus at two different points and removed people from the bus. For some, that is exciting. Fuddy duddies often forget that.

remind him that Vietnam is not a visa free country.he needs to apply for the visa at the embassy...

On it. Thanks for the reminder.

At one time (several years ago) they offered a visa on arrival for $25 USD. Is that a thing of the past?

remind him that Vietnam is not a visa free country.he needs to apply for the visa at the embassy...

On it. Thanks for the reminder.

At one time (several years ago) they offered a visa on arrival for $25 USD. Is that a thing of the past?

or applying for visa at embassy

or applying for visa online they have a website however it takes few days

Laos or Cambodia(bkk airways)

As for Vietnam it is $45 USD for a visa and costs between $10 and $20 for an online agency to do the visa in advance. Well worth the money as do not have to stand around filling out forms with all the others and waiting for a long time for processing

As for Vietnam it is $45 USD for a visa and costs between $10 and $20 for an online agency to do the visa in advance. Well worth the money as do not have to stand around filling out forms with all the others and waiting for a long time for processing

Have you used and recommend any of the agencies online? Please PM me if so, I think there is a rule about listing sites like that here. Thank you.

I really do not understand two facts...

1- If I do not work, my whole life is an holiday... and I like to stay as a turist 4 years....what do they want from me?

2- I am married with a thai lady, they just give me maximum 3 month Non Immigrant visa, what is that? It is a pitance? I'm not begging anyonoe, I am married with a thai! Why only 3 month? No sense... really no sense...

1- If I do not work, my whole life is an holiday... and I like to stay as a turist 4 years....what do they want from me?

2- I am married with a thai lady, they just give me maximum 3 month Non Immigrant visa, what is that? It is a pitance? I'm not begging anyonoe, I am married with a thai! Why only 3 month? No sense... really no sense...

Before it expires you can get a year extension, though, you need to show 400,000 Bt.

Not sure of this, but, that 400,000 Bt needs to be sitting in your bank account for two months.

Before it expires you can get a year extension, though, you need to show 400,000 Bt.

Not sure of this, but, that 400,000 Bt needs to be sitting in your bank account for two months.

I did know about it, what I never understood is: can I send back all the 400.000 to my country without problem? And how much it wil cost me as currency commissions?

And also I never understood how many subsequent 3 month Visa N I O can I ask?

And again... subsequent Non Immigrant Visa will be counted in the role of max 6 month in 2 years? Or it is only for tourist visas?

Edited by manolothai