No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

Double entry tourist visa will give 6-months ... how many people under retirement age go on vacation longer than 6-months? For that matter even more than 3-months for a single tourist visa?

Many do, I am myself. What's it to you if someone under 50 can afford to take a year or two vacation?

I'm not working here, I have spent plenty of time in neighbouring countries (Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, China- up to three months at a time), I have no problem if there is a rule that I have to stay out of Thailand for a certain period before coming back, I'm not working so I don't particularly need to be here and can find something to do or see somewhere else. The issue is that there is no clarity on what the rules are.

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

It's your only choice, but, hey, if you have a lot of money................

this looks good

but the part about visa run to be done every 365 days..does not change that visa runs are not allowed anymore

i am checking, In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

This is still subject to actual proof. Currently I am under the impression you can go to Thailand Elite staff in BKK and they'll run to Changwattana for you, gaining you another 1y stamp while in Thailand. But nobody has done it yet, as the TE program is quite new. Let's see what the reality is after one year.

The actual rules & regulations under which the PE visa you get by subscribing to TE is handled are still unknown to me. I've tried digging, but no results so far.

Edited by DrTuner

Hello Spain, Greece, Italy...

Don't you Europeans have enough playgrounds, where you have sun, women and drink?

No visa hassles, and you can work online?

What is it about this country that is so fantastic?

Surely not just the exchange benefit...

Exactly ! That s what i am talking about.

The motto is " are you a genuine tourist ? do you want to spend your winter vacation in Thailand ? don't you have any problem or illegal activity and you come solely to spend your money ? Go away , hated farang ! Go to Greece, Caribbeans, go away ! in Thailand we don't want tourists ! "

You just said that !

Very smart indeed. You should propose it to the Tourism Department of Thailand. "Go away, farang !" slogan

Nobody said they (you) are not welcome, just don't overstay that welcome.

Go home. Come back next year. If 90 days is insufficient - so what?

Jesus Christ thats up to me ..i mean if i want to go home..that should be my business second the welcoming attitude can be half way.welcome is ok not welcome is fine..but dont pretend to be both of them

Just because after 3 years it can a fact be an issues to extend the visa, doesn't mean i abused it.

And it's quite clearly written in peoples passport who are tourist and who aren't, question is just who are more than just a tourist as written in their passport.

90 days in/90 days out - 180 days in/180 out is far from a new law and easy to find information about. You want me to google it for you?

¨

What privileges are you talking about that i should lose? Again you're making assumptions, just as you assumed that just because i was aware that extending ED visa after 3 years and decided to change for something else, made me abuse the system. Get your head out of your..... please!

You wan't me to start assuming here? Ok then, i guess you have an issue, because you cannot get a proper visa and work permit for the bar which you have in your lady friends name. I guess you have an issue, because you are one of those who will be affected by this crackdown. Get a proper visa dude..... How is that for assumptions?

ok

Who is a tourist and who isn't ? Please any legal resources.....where it is written the definition of the tourist ? ( apart from your assumptions )

Wrong... arrive with a triple entry tourist visa you allowed - by the law - to stay 9 months... and allow to come back on the next day with a new triple entry visa....

I'm not affected at all.... I'm on my retired visa, have more, than enough founds and I don't plan to work or own any business....I'm a long term tourist... doing nothing else, just relax and spending my money.... I just don't like the unfair games....

Been on a Non O based on marriage and kids for many years. Currently in the US and wanted to mail my passport to the Houston consulate to re-up my Non O and was told that I had to show up in person, no more mailing of documents. Coral Gables, Florida confirmed this. So now I am caught out as I am returning to LOS tomorrow. Is it possible to enter on a 30 day, go to immigration with all the paperwork and get converted to a Non O without the tax documents? I nor my wife work in Thailand.

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

this looks good

but the part about visa run to be done every 365 days..does not change that visa runs are not allowed anymore

i am checking, In other words, the usual visa run that needs to be done every 90 days is extended to 1 year - exclusively for this Thailand Elite’s Privilege Entry Visa.

This is still subject to actual proof. Currently I am under the impression you can go to Thailand Elite staff in BKK and they'll run to Changwattana for you, gaining you another 1y stamp while in Thailand. But nobody has done it yet, as the TE program is quite new. Let's see what the reality is after one year.

The actual rules & regulations under which the PE visa you get by subscribing to TE is handled are still unknown to me. I've tried digging, but no results so far.

The TE program has been running for about 10 years from what I understand.

You don't need to do a 'visa run' on this visa at all, you don't need to leave Thailand for the entire duration of your membership.

To get a one year extension you simply go to immigration and pay a 1,900 fee for an extension. The extension will be for 1 year on this type of visa.

You can convert in Thailand.

If you do not work in Thailand you must confirm your income with a letter from your embassy. In the case of the US, you make a sworn affidavit that you sign in front of the consular officer. Another way is to show 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand.

But without a visa, you might have problems boarding the airplane, as you need to have a visa OR a ticket out within 30 days of arrival.

wait it says visa runs every 365 days..but visa runs are not allowed anymore lol

Nobody said visaruns are not allowed anymore.

They just said you will be refused entry if you have an history of them.

If you are a genuine tourist you won't have problem.

If you make visaruns with a multi non-Imm you will not have problem either.

Just because after 3 years it can a fact be an issues to extend the visa, doesn't mean i abused it.

And it's quite clearly written in peoples passport who are tourist and who aren't, question is just who are more than just a tourist as written in their passport.

90 days in/90 days out - 180 days in/180 out is far from a new law and easy to find information about. You want me to google it for you?

¨

What privileges are you talking about that i should lose? Again you're making assumptions, just as you assumed that just because i was aware that extending ED visa after 3 years and decided to change for something else, made me abuse the system. Get your head out of your..... please!

You wan't me to start assuming here? Ok then, i guess you have an issue, because you cannot get a proper visa and work permit for the bar which you have in your lady friends name. I guess you have an issue, because you are one of those who will be affected by this crackdown. Get a proper visa dude..... How is that for assumptions?

ok

Who is a tourist and who isn't ? Please any legal resources.....where it is written the definition of the tourist ? ( apart from your assumptions )

Wrong... arrive with a triple entry tourist visa you allowed - by the law - to stay 9 months... and allow to come back on the next day with a new triple entry visa....

I'm not affected at all.... I'm on my retired visa, have more, than enough founds and I don't plan to work or own any business....I'm a long term tourist... doing nothing else, just relax and spending my money.... I just don't like the unfair games....

The stamp in your passport define if you're tourist or not o.O

No it doesn't. It has been possible to do so, because the rules has not been uphold. 3 entries allow you to leave country and come back the amount of entries you have. It's not made for you to be able to stay in Thailand 9 months, it's made so you have a chance to travel other places than in Thailand doing your holiday.

How is it unfair games to require people who want to live here and work here to obtain a proper visa, and if working a work permit as well? Please explain why that is unfair games? Again, no foreigner is entitled to be here at all, just be happy that we can stay here as long as we go it the proper way. If people wish to love here, they should be getting a proper visa, or stop moaning if they get issues entering the country because they didn't get a proper visa to begin with.

I'm on double entry tourist visa spending a week in Vietnam and arriving back to Thailand on 14th for second half of my visa.

Wonder how this will go. I don't have any back to back visas in my passport, and I don't have any visa exemptions. I do have multiple double entry tourist visas over many years. Visa was acquired from home country, not a border country in Asia.

you'll be fine. youre not doing an Out/In

How do you define Out/In though? I'll be in Vietnam for 7 days. Is Out/In about people who cross back the same day? 1 day? 3 days? 1 week?

I wish the immigration rules were clearer.

It depends on the mood of the inmigration officier. One friend was refused entry awhile ago , than he did a different queue and the other officier let him go without any hassle.

It's a lottery. Thailand is a country of a permanent lawlessness.

And every day you have a new story about a friend that had problem with immigration. And the Immigration was terrible every time ;)

Looks like we have many very strict wannabe thai immigration officers on Thai Visa. I think visa runners know who they are. Passport full of tourist & exempt visas. It's you they are after. Don't delude yourself. I certainly won't.

• Like 1

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

But does that include double or triple entry visas issued in home country which are not back to back? Ive been coming to relax for 180 days every Winter for the last 8 years. The only work I do is in the bedroom. I do go out and straight back in sometimes. Will I be regarded as a 'visa runner'? Is there any way Thaivisa.com can seek clarification on this please, or request our embassies to get this clarified on behalf of their citizens? Im sure they are best placed to point out the inconsistency of issuing multiple entry tourist visas if they are not accepted for re-entry. After all the 2nd or 3rd entry is: "for the purpose of extending their stay". If out/in is banned and we must stay out, then surely we should be told for how long. Luckily my passport is only 1 yr old so only shows my triple entry for last Winter, only one entry of which was an out/in.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

Easy.

Thailand Elite Card.

this looks good

The TE program has been running for about 10 years from what I understand.

You don't need to do a 'visa run' on this visa at all, you don't need to leave Thailand for the entire duration of your membership.

To get a one year extension you simply go to immigration and pay a 1,900 fee for an extension. The extension will be for 1 year on this type of visa.

Have you gotten confirmation about this from TE/immigration ? That you can go to any immigration and pay 1900b and get a 1y extension ?

EDIT: In the TE thread, an owner of the previous TE card mentioned he'd only get 90d entries, no extension under the older TE scheme. I can dig it up for you.

EDIT2: Got it: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/726441-thailand-elite-easy-access-500k-thb-card/page-9#entry7839988

Edited by DrTuner

<snip>

If you are that wealthy as you say (already have 3 condos and thinking of buying another one) why don't you spend the 500K to get the Thailand Elite Easy Access Card ? Or is that too expensive ?

Yeah because Thaksin's Elite Card system worked so well didn't it!

I almost bought one of those, but fortunately I didn't, but my comment was directed towards the Guy who has the money to buy 3-4 condo's but is complaining that he can't get a Visa and for him a good solution is the NEW Thailand Elite Easy Access Card. Just do a search on the Forum.

Those original TE cards from when they were first launched are still being honoured so you lost out big time by not getting one as they are for life, which includes the 5 year visas and the one yer entries for life.

Did anybody read this line in the story: "Visa runners are those who leave Thailand and return immediately for the purpose of extending their stay."

Seems pretty clear to me.

But does that include double or triple entry visas issued in home country which are not back to back? Ive been coming to relax for 180 days every Winter for the last 8 years. The only work I do is in the bedroom. I do go out and straight back in sometimes. Will I be regarded as a 'visa runner'? Is there any way Thaivisa.com can seek clarification on this please, or request our embassies to get this clarified on behalf of their citizens? Im sure they are best placed to point out the inconsistency of issuing multiple entry tourist visas if they are not accepted for re-entry. After all the 2nd or 3rd entry is: "for the purpose of extending their stay". If out/in is banned and we must stay out, then we should be told for how long.
Thai culture does not permit information to be crystal clear but allows for information to be vague and misleading. Clear would be return on the same day - not immediately. Let's face it anything can happen depending on your luck. Worrying is useless. Start worrying when you are on the yellow line and he says look into the camera please. Edited by ilocos

Don't you Europeans have enough playgrounds, where you have sun, women and drink?

The motto is " are you a genuine tourist ? do you want to spend your winter vacation in Thailand ? don't you have any problem or illegal activity and you come solely to spend your money ? Go away , hated farang ! Go to Greece, Caribbeans, go away ! in Thailand we don't want tourists ! "

You just said that !

Very smart indeed. You should propose it to the Tourism Department of Thailand. "Go away, farang !" slogan

So are double entry visas being abolished ?

90 days are insufficient, because i want to spend time in Thailand, go to Australia and go back to Thailand...

I want to do that with a double entry, but I don't want to be refused at the airport in my first or second entry only because an officier had a bad night sleep. Is that mean i am a drug dealer, a illegal teacher, a trouble maker ? (all terms used here by some posters against long term tourists).

I want to stay in Asia 5 months and use Thailand as base for my first arrival and my last return.

A bad mood officier might think I am not a real tourist ?

Not likely, but there are arseh...s sometimes and I don't want to depend on the mood of anybody. Got it ?

I want to know if my plan contrasts with the new rules of Thailand. yes or not.

If it is not ok, i will plan my trip otherwise, if it is ok, i will procede with Amsterdam-Bangkok Bangkok-Sydney-Bangkok -Amsterdam everything ready before travelling without the need to be worried. Am i asking too much ?

• Like 1

If you are that wealthy as you say (already have 3 condos and thinking of buying another one) why don't you spend the 500K to get the Thailand Elite Easy Access Card ? Or is that too expensive ?

I almost bought one of those, but fortunately I didn't, but my comment was directed towards the Guy who has the money to buy 3-4 condo's but is complaining that he can't get a Visa and for him a good solution is the NEW Thailand Elite Easy Access Card. Just do a search on the Forum.

Those original TE cards from when they were first launched are still being honoured so you lost out big time by not getting one as they are for life, which includes the 5 year visas and the one yer entries for life.

I married instead and that I did, I haven't regret that decision one bit (yet) :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

• Like 1

¨

ok

No it doesn't. It has been possible to do so, because the rules has not been uphold. 3 entries allow you to leave country and come back the amount of entries you have. It's not made for you to be able to stay in Thailand 9 months, it's made so you have a chance to travel other places than in Thailand doing your holiday.

How is it unfair games to require people who want to live here and work here to obtain a proper visa, and if working a work permit as well? Please explain why that is unfair games? Again, no foreigner is entitled to be here at all, just be happy that we can stay here as long as we go it the proper way. If people wish to love here, they should be getting a proper visa, or stop moaning if they get issues entering the country because they didn't get a proper visa to begin with.

The stamp say tourist.... OK... how many days means it ? How many entry means it ? What it means at all ? In numbers.... not assumptions.

It was possible because of the law. 60+30 days three times. If I am right nowhere is written it is abuse of the visa. If i'm wrong, please show me where it is written.

Unfair game: for example people under 50 and DON'T want to work or marry or invest.... nothing more, just relax and spending his money... which one is the proper visa for him ? ( Don't say the elite card robbery... nothing better, than a fat Uganda type bribery... )

BTW... what kind of visa you use ? How old are you ?

90 days entries?this is not what the website says...

I was referring to the earlier TE scheme, not the new "Easy Access" one. Refer to the link I added to my post as an edit.

The current TE program is just a year old and the Easy Access came even later: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/643383-thailand-elite-card-to-be-relaunched-in-june/

Edited by DrTuner

Nobody said visaruns are not allowed anymore.

They just said you will be refused entry if you have an history of them.

If you are a genuine tourist you won't have problem.

If you make visaruns with a multi non-Imm you will not have problem either.

Short time holidaymakers won't have a problem. other we don't know yet.

You keep repeating "genuine tourist" while browsing over posts that ask how and who exactly?

Edited by firestar

confused I'm totally confused why do they do all this ! my situation different -- I have woman in Thailand and kiddy but I really don't understand all this visa stuff ! what is their problem I go on normal tourist visa but - there appears be 1/2 a dozen ways you can stay -hm

I don't have $$ retire visa but am retired ( not old ) don't need much money !

what is their problem ! and what visa do you get to just stay in a non hassle situation , I'm not interested running to a border every 30/ 60 days to get a stamp don't they get the gist that some people just want to be left alone in peace their ---------that seemingly is too much to ask ! I get income about 44/ 64k baht a month forever . This criteria hey'' do they want people their or not !

/* snip a long rant */

When you live anywhere outside ouf your home country it's your duty to get the local legal stuff like residency done correctly or you could end up expelled.

As for Thailand, as you now notice, the endless tourist visa thingy is being abruptly stopped as it essentially was never intended to be exploited that way.

You mention you have a child. That's a reason to travel outside of TH and get a non-O visa based of family relationship with the kid, not marriage if you don't like that binding. Take all the proper documentation about the kid with you (like birth paper, fathership approved etc). Return to TH. Then in the last month of the 90days convert to a yearly long stay.

Edited by RTH10260

I married instead and that I did, I haven't regret that decision one bit (yet) :D

I hope you didn't marry for the visa. Your wife instead of the visa becomes risky. Many get cleaned out, take care.

<snip>

I married instead and that I did, I haven't regret that decision one bit (yet) biggrin.png

I hope you didn't marry for the visa. Your wife instead of the visa becomes risky. Many get cleaned out, take care.

I am already married 3 years+ ago, and you would be damm stupid to marry because of a visa

And for your concern, my wife is already my sole inheritor (with both a will here and overseas) and has full knowledge over my finances and I AM STILL ALIVE. And sorry for trusting my wife.

Edited by MJCM

¨

ok

The stamp say tourist.... OK... how many days means it ? How many entry means it ? What it means at all ? In numbers.... not assumptions.

It was possible because of the law. 60+30 days three times. If I am right nowhere is written it is abuse of the visa. If i'm wrong, please show me where it is written.

Unfair game: for example people under 50 and DON'T want to work or marry or invest.... nothing more, just relax and spending his money... which one is the proper visa for him ? ( Don't say the elite card robbery... nothing better, than a fat Uganda type bribery... )

BTW... what kind of visa you use ? How old are you ?

How many days and entries is said in the stamp, but mentioned before, an entry doesn't secure an entry into the country and which is what this crackdown is also about.

Just because it has been possible, doesn't mean it has been correct. Many things in Thailand has been possible, even though it's against laws and rules.

You wrote that i have been abusing the system with my ED visa, what was your claim, so you are the one talking about abusing.

Stop acting like people are entitled to stay here as tourist for years and years. Which visa is proper for him, depends on the individual person.

I am 36 and i got a non-immigrant O (guardian but not married visa), actually just extended with another year today. So please don't come and tell me that i am abusing any system here, because i had to go to court go get joint custody for my daughter and prove that she is my daughter, to be able to be here and provide for her. It actually made me very angry when you make such assumption, because of all the difficulties it has been to get a proper visa and do things the right way, I don't want to abuse any system here, because i got a daughter and i got responsibilities, so abuse a system and end up getting kicked out is NOT an option for me.

You just said that !

Jesus Christ thats up to me ..i mean if i want to go home..that should be my business second the welcoming attitude can be half way.welcome is ok not welcome is fine..but dont pretend to be both of them

You are like the relative that comes for a week and lands up staying until kicked out biggrin.png

Unfortunately it is not up to you at all. It is up to Thai immigration so what I say has as little effect as you. No point in getting all steamed up about it. passifier.gif

I still maintain all tourists are welcome - but only as long as they stay only up till the maximum period allowed. It doesn't matter one bit if this suits your plans or not.

Edited by ParadiseLost

Did you even read his post? There are plenty of people who like to stay here or in the region a bit longer who DON'T actually work, because they have seasonal work (six months on, six months off), or savings, or have retired early, or are taking a few years off, or whatever.

The issue with the "unfair games" is that there is absolutely no CLARITY on what the rules are- how long you are expected to stay out, or whatever. I doubt this is actually about going after farang working illegally in the first place, but if that was the purpose there are surely ways they could enforce it without affecting people who are legitimate tourists. Requiring border runners to stay out 72 hours, or even a week, would make it effectively impossible to actually hold down a job, but wouldn't be such a major issue for "genuine" tourists, for example. The problem is, no one knows...

For that matter for all the people jumping up and down celebrating this new dictat of an authoritarian military government- does you have any actual sources that support the idea that farang working on tourist visa-exempt stamps specifically is a major problem in this country? Do you honestly think there are a substantial number of people illegally WORKING here that have to get up and run to the border EVERY 14 DAYS but yet hold down some sort of job in the country? You honestly think this is a large percentage of illegal workers, a big problem in Thailand? Seriously?

@mjcm, dont let that particular poster get under your skin - I'm convinced that's what he comes here for. You are casting pearls before swine with some of the usual suspects I'm afraid.

Thanks, but I just can't stand people who thinks that ALL Thai Girls are bad or Hookers !