No more Thai visa runs: Immigration will not let visa runners return after Aug 12

Regarding throwing out the baby etc.

To those who say that Thailand should have a provision for the well-heeled under 50 to obtain long-term stay in Thailand:

Visa & Immigration policy is not just a matter of economic policy but of social policy and -- at least to-date -- it seems that the Thai Officialdom has deemed that allowing such persons to remain long-term in Thailand has a social downside that exceeds the economic upside.

At the same time, news today says they are registering thousands of ILLEGAL WORKERS near Phuket so they can enjoy their cheap slave labor.

These workers are from Laos, Myanmar or Cambodia.

It's a very different problem as Thailand need them!

Thailand doesn't have workers enough for few qualification job.

how many condos are rented to illegal russian workers, hokers in pataya? 5 to 10 000 i guess, ...

You realise how ridiculous your statement is?

Sure there are hundreds of Russian working here illegally, but 10'000... no way! What job could they do?

BTW I never saw any Russian hooker in Pattaya... so their impact on condos is just zero wink.png

Sure there are hundreds of Russian working here illegally, but 10'000... no way! What job could they do?

BTW I never saw any Russian hooker in Pattaya... so their impact on condos is just zero wink.png

Edited by thailiketoo

Seven suspected Uzbekistan Prostitutes arrested by Pattaya Police

Yes... and? Uzbekistan is not Russia

Seven suspected Uzbekistan Prostitutes arrested by Pattaya Police

You mean you were differentiating between the former Soviet republics and Russia? Give me a break eh? Take a walk down walking street and look at the two Russian clubs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never invest money in Thailand that you are not willing and able to walkaway from.

This has to be the most condescending phrase ever that pops up every now and then on TV.

It's as if Thailand is unique to any other place on planet earth that when investing in something one has to way up the pros and cons of whatever that investment might be. alt=rolleyes.gif>

condescending, superfluous and ignorant because it applies to any investment coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Including the female kind......

i just realized one of the reasons why so many want to go to thailand and not anywhere else:thai food

did you ever try indonesian food,vietnamese food chinese food japanese food cambodian food malaysian food.....

too oil..or too boring

and thai restaurants out of thailand ...just suck

did somebody eat the indonesian pineapple?thats hard and not juicy at all

Edited by kaobang

Not true. Some of the best Thai food I have ever eaten is in Burma and there are hundreds of Thai restaurants there. The Burmese are big fans.

good info.i assure you that thai restaurants in bali......bah.gif

You mean you were differentiating between the former Soviet republics and Russia?

Give me a break eh? Take a walk down walking street and look at the two Russian clubs.

A break? Sorry but when you talk about visa rules you must be precise/accurate.

Immigration said "from Russia", not "from countries who were in old USSR"

For you they are maybe "all Russian", but not for Immigration who look at passports.

About Walking Street these clubs are said "Russian" because they mainly target Russian tourist,

but AFAIK ladies working inside are from East European countries. I don't know who own these clubs.

The Russian I see on WS are tourists going in Russian Café or discos "for Russian" at the end of the street.

You mean you were differentiating between the former Soviet republics and Russia?

Give me a break eh? Take a walk down walking street and look at the two Russian clubs.

For you they are maybe "all Russian", but not for Immigration who look at passports.

About Walking Street these clubs are said "Russian" because they mainly target Russian tourist,

but AFAIK ladies working inside are from East European countries. I don't know who own these clubs.

The Russian I see on WS are tourists going in Russian Café or discos "for Russian" at the end of the street.

So, what is immigration doing to Russians that they are not doing to people from he former Soviet Republics?

So, what is immigration doing to Russians that they are not doing to people from he former Soviet Republics?

Admitting them visa exempt.

• Like 1

II. List of countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of ordinary passports with Thailand and permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 14, 30 and 90 days

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements-on-the-Exemption-of-Visa-Requirements-with-Thailand.html

Edited by thailiketoo

I. List of Countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of diplomatic or official or service/special passports with Thailand and permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 30 and 90 days.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15383-List-of-countries-which-have-concluded-Agreements-on-the-Exemption-of-Visa-Requirements-with-Thailand.html

Yes, what do 'holders of diplomatic passports' have to do with visa exempt entries for ordinary passport holders?

Russians are allowed in without visa on the basis of a bilateral agreement.

Of course I decide to work as a freelancer in Thailand when they start to crackdown! Wondering if anyone can give me advice on my personal situation...

I first moved to Bangkok with my bf in January. We came in on a single-entry tourist visa on January 15. We left on February 27 before our initial 60 days was up for a 2 month stint through Cambodia and Vietnam. I came back into the country to meet a friend and travel around the islands on a visa on arrival on April 14 and went on a visa run to Laos on the 6th of May. I obtained a double-entry visa, which I just recently extended to receive the additional 30 days from the initial 60.

I leave on August 4th for a month-long trip to the US (where I'm originally from), which is my first time leaving the country on my double-entry visa. I'm worried about being able to come back into the country on September 3rd even though I would simply be activating the second entry on my valid visa.

Does anyone know how this might affect me or if I'll be okay to come back in? Is there any number we can call to speak to someone at immigration?

Thank you!

Amanda

I. List of Countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of diplomatic or official or service/special passports with Thailand and permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 30 and 90 days.

Yes, what do 'holders of diplomatic passports' have to do with visa exempt entries for ordinary passport holders?

Russians are allowed in without visa on the basis of a bilateral agreement.

Sorry should have said, " II. List of countries which have concluded agreements on the exemption of visa requirements for holders of ordinary passports with Thailand and permitted to stay for a period of not exceeding 14, 30 and 90 days"

I read here often about folk complaining about seeing bars run by Eastern European folk taking over the hot spots and what looks like Nigerians selling dope on street corners, weeeeeeeeeeell, to me this is the first step to tidy things up, and it sounds like a good thing. Saying that, I am sorry that genuine folk are caught up in the clean up. But Thai immigration must start somewhere.

I just had a conversation with a person who must know all this things about the visa crackdowns. Please understand, that i don't provide the identity of this person. I know this person since more then 10 years. And i know how is this person is connected.

For people who stay long term in Thailand with tourist visas will nothing change after 12th August. Unless, they had some overstay or too many visa exempt stamps in the past. That said, to activate the second entry after 12th August will be no problem. It doesn't matter how long the "visa runner" stay in Thailand prior. All this refers not to southern borders. Border to Laos and Cambodia are fine.

People who want to apply another Tourist Visa in Vientiane or Svannakhet, should provide to the consulate a rental contract, or a housebook on your own name or a certification of residence. Also, proof that you can effort to stay here. Show them copys of your bank book. The consulate want see movements on your Thai account. Money come in, money go out. For rental fees, shopping or whatever.

It may sounds ironic, because somehow, you have to proof that you are not a tourist to be considered as a tourist.

Some people will think, this is all bullshit. But i know who this person is. And if a moderator or admin think all this is bullshit, he is free to delete this posting.

Nothing is as bad as it looks.

Edited by alocacoc

Of course I decide to work as a freelancer in Thailand when they start to crackdown! Wondering if anyone can give me advice on my personal situation...

I first moved to Bangkok with my bf in January. We came in on a single-entry tourist visa on January 15. We left on February 27 before our initial 60 days was up for a 2 month stint through Cambodia and Vietnam. I came back into the country to meet a friend and travel around the islands on a visa on arrival on April 14 and went on a visa run to Laos on the 6th of May. I obtained a double-entry visa, which I just recently extended to receive the additional 30 days from the initial 60.

I leave on August 4th for a month-long trip to the US (where I'm originally from), which is my first time leaving the country on my double-entry visa. I'm worried about being able to come back into the country on September 3rd even though I would simply be activating the second entry on my valid visa.

Does anyone know how this might affect me or if I'll be okay to come back in? Is there any number we can call to speak to someone at immigration?

Thank you!

Amanda

the last time i was on tourist visa double entry and on my second entry at don muang airport they put on my passport a stamp 30 days

i told the officer why not 60 days this is a tourist visa he told me "your visa is expired u were out of thailand too long" i was 10 days in indonesia

Edited by kaobang

Thank you!

Amanda

Nobody here can give 100% guarantee on anything, but in my opinion you should be fine as you are not appearing to live in Thailand.

Show money and an air ticket at the border, perhaps an itinerary.

Only thing to concern yourself with is the 'Use By' date of your visa...

I just had a conversation with a person who must know all this things about the visa crackdowns. Please understand, that i don't provide the identity of this person. I know this person since more then 10 years. And i know how is this person is connected.

For people who stay long term in Thailand with tourist visas will nothing change after 12th August. Unless, they had some overstay or too many visa exempt stamps in the past. That said, to activate the second entry after 12th August will be no problem. It doesn't matter how long the "visa runner" stay in Thailand prior. All this refers not to southern borders. Border to Laos and Cambodia are fine.

People who want to apply another Tourist Visa in Vientiane or Svannakhet, should provide to the consulate a rental contract, or a housebook on your own name or a certification of residence. Also, proof that you can effort to stay here. Show them copys of your bank book. The consulate want see movements on your Thai account. Money come in, money go out. For rental fees, shopping or whatever.

It may sounds ironic, because somehow, you have to proof that you are not a tourist to be considered as a tourist.

Some people will think, this is all bullshit. But i know who this person is. And if a moderator or admin think all this is bullshit, he is free to delete this posting.

So you're saying to "prove" that you're not a tourist, you should provide them with a housebook or certification of residence? Sorry, this is bullshit. The government plainly stated long-term tourists will not be allowed.

Thank you!

Amanda

the last time i was on tourist visa double entry and on my second entry at don muang airport they put on my passport a stamp 30 days

i told the officer why not 60 days this is a tourist visa he told me "your visa is expired u were out of thailand too long" i was 10 days in indonesia

You most probably entered after the visa expiry date.

I read here often about folk complaining about seeing bars run by Eastern European folk taking over the hot spots and what looks like Nigerians selling dope on street corners, weeeeeeeeeeell, to me this is the first step to tidy things up, and it sounds like a good thing. Saying that, I am sorry that genuine folk are caught up in the clean up. But Thai immigration must start somewhere.

Couldn't they start at the actual problem (at the work place)?

What they do no is like saying "murderers drink juice, so let's lock up anyone that drink juice". That does not necessarily mean that murderers will continue to drink juice, but you will be sure to lock up a lot of innocent juice drinkers.

The illegals will find ways regardless of rules (faking documents, tickets, bookings, taking Thai classes, marry a bar girl on paper, etc), but scaring off honest people (spending money made abroad) is not helping Thailand. It shouldn't be hard to take a few video clips of illegal workers and confront them red-handed.

Couldn't they start at the actual problem (at the work place)?

What they do no is like saying "murderers drink juice, so let's lock up anyone that drink juice". That does not necessarily mean that murderers will continue to drink juice, but you will be sure to lock up a lot of innocent juice drinkers.

The illegals will find ways regardless of rules (faking documents, tickets, bookings, taking Thai classes, marry a bar girl on paper, etc), but scaring off honest people (spending money made abroad) is not helping Thailand. It shouldn't be hard to take a few video clips of illegal workers and confront them red-handed.

Yep, I agree, but I think they are looking at how people are entering first, then "perhaps" a blitz on other stuff. remember, there are for sure "other" folks fingers in pies with farang business ventures.

i just realized one of the reasons why so many want to go to thailand and not anywhere else:thai food

did you ever try indonesian food,vietnamese food chinese food japanese food cambodian food malaysian food.....

too oil..or too boring

and thai restaurants out of thailand ...just suck

did somebody eat the indonesian pineapple?thats hard and not juicy at all

I live in Pattaya and I eat a LOT of Thai food. My favorite food, in order. is - 1. Indian 2. Chinese 3. Italian

Horses for courses, but I could live on the 3 listed above without ever eating Thai food again, but I tend to agree with you about most of the Thai restaurants outside of Thailand. The exceptions tend to charge more money than I'm prepared to pay in places like Singapore.

Thank you!

Amanda

Since you had the 2-month break in Cambodia/Vietnam and will be back to the US for another whole month I would guess you'd have no problem.

But for a longer term solution, depending on what your line of freelancing is, there may be a way for you to do so legally, with a non-B visa and work permit by using a Thai company as a go-between you and your clients. I know one company in Chiang Mai currently doing this with quite a few Europeans/Americans/Australians: http://iglu.in.th/work/

Thank you!

Amanda

Since you had the 2-month break in Cambodia/Vietnam and will be back to the US for another whole month I would guess you'd have no problem.

But for a longer term solution, depending on what your line of freelancing is, there may be a way for you to do so legally, with a non-B visa and work permit by using a Thai company as a go-between you and your clients. I know one company in Chiang Mai currently doing this with quite a few Europeans/Americans/Australians: http://iglu.in.th/work/

I'm a little stunned that others hadn't thought of something similar - reading between the lines, there are a number of possibilities with that company. In theory, it looks like a win-win IF you can guarantee them the revenue each and every month and they can guarantee you a work permit. Thanks for the link.

"a person who must know all this things about the visa crackdowns." Another one - or maybe it's the same source for all the unsubstantiated rumours!!