NCPO asks TAT to find campaigns boosting tourism industry

webfact

Special Report: NCPO asks TAT to find campaigns boosting tourism industry

BANGKOK: -- Head of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) General Prayuth Chan-ocha has stressed the need for relevant agencies to launch marketing activities to boost tourism.

Gen Prayuth said that measures rolled out in the next few months to stimulate tourism for the coming high season will be vital, as this is the period when tourists plan their end-of-year trips.

In this regard, promotional activities should be emphasized for all major markets, such as Japan, India, Hong Kong, ASEAN, the European Union, and China. General Prayuth urged the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the Tourism Council of Thailand to join hands with various foreign airlines and chartered airlines that are friends of Thailand in devising campaigns to promote Thailand as a tourist destination during the period between October 2014 and March 2015.

According to an assessment by relevant agencies, there is a good news that Thailand’s tourism income is showing an increasing trend. Moreover, he said, insurance measures for tourists may need to be devised during this situation.

Meanwhile, the TAT, Thai Airways International, and the Ratchaprasong Square Trade Association, are joining hands in organizing a festival of happiness, joy, fun, and Thai smiles over the 25-26 July weekend as part of an effort to show to the world that Thai tourism is more than back to normal.

In an extravaganza never before held in Thailand, the entire Ratchaprasong area in Bangkok will come alive with colorful parades, great shopping, fashion shows, concerts, and culinary delights from 3:00 p.m. to midnight on both days. The theme “Thailand Happiness” will be lived up to the hilt.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said that the organizers would make this event the biggest and best back-to-normal party Thailand has ever seen. Although its primary objective is to convey a powerful message that the Thai tourism industry is back to normal, the event has an equally potent purpose: to help bring the smiles back to the faces of the Thai people after several months of uncertainty.

On both days, there will be a Happiness Concert featuring performances by contemporary musicians and traditional Thai folk singers, accompanied by sound-and-light theatricals at CentralWorld Square. At the Happy Gift Market, visitors will find everything from antique products to trendy, brand-name clothes and fashion items. One section, called “Stars on the Street” will have booths manned by Thai celebrities and television superstars selling footwear, T-shirts, green gourmet items, boutique apparel, and even Thai desserts.

Another section, called Happiness Surprise, will allow visitors to take Instagram pictures of smiling faces and place them in giant gift boxes. After getting 5,000 smiling pictures, the boxes will be opened and the best smiles will get surprise rewards.

In the last week of July, a familiarization trip, “Thailand’s Best Friends Forever,” will be arranged for about 800 members of the media, bloggers, and travel agents from all over the world, who will convene in Bangkok at a welcome reception on 25 July at the Bangkok Convention Center, Centara Grand Hotel at CentralWorld. They will also join the “Thailand Happiness” street festival before travelling to various parts of the kingdom to experience for themselves the many tourist attractions and services the country offers. In addition, this event encourages the people to pass along the message that Thailand waits to welcome all visitors with an abundance of destinations, and it cordially invites all tourists to enjoy their vacation time here, as always.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-07-15 footer_n.gif

To date two replies with the same theme.Indeed the publicity that is creeping out into the international travel world industry press is not encouraging.

While I have no problems regarding the matter of visa use and issueance it needs to be remembered that if tourists are going to come they need to be assured they are able to actually land and stay here with no problems.

Now is the time for a decent information circular sent to aThai embassies legations etc who deal with visas and travel agents national organisations in simple local language format to be displayed where the prospective tourist can see it so as to reassure them of entry and stay without problems.

Indeed post # 4 from ginjag hits the nail squarely on the head.

Clarify the rules, clean up your acts and thus increase the tours.

Edited by siampolee

3 simple ideas.......

stop the dept tax on ALL flights for a year..... give free Full cover Insurance for all tourists staying 1 month or less......remove the Hotel room tax on all Hotel/Guest house rooms

Easy but not going to happen

I think the stricter alcohol and closing laws obviously have some effect on tourism.

Had friends visit from England last weekend. They were disappointed that we couldn't share a bottle of wine over a meal.

They were only here two days before going to Singapore.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

When you see how Malaysia is promoting tourism on many TV channels , you just think that Thailand has a lot to do to regain confidence from tourists. Thailand should know that there are so many better places , betters prices , betters beaches etc ...etc .... Thailand made the choice of welcoming mass tourism , deal with it , the rich spenders go to other places as nothing is really attracted for wealthy people here.

• Like 1

I won't be telling them things are back to normal... not yet. "They" are also the majority of your tourist. Referrals & Repeat business Thailand. Save your money for now instead of having them go home and tell the rest of them.

All these suggestions are fine but too much money is wasted on events here. People do not spend 50,000 + baht to fly from UK to street parties-shopping malls-sales-- In a tourist driven economy they should be standard-ongoing.

My personal feeling is number 1. Thai Airways get your prices down to encourage tourist to come. If Thai were cheaper other airlines would promote to BKK, bringing passengers in---first priority.

NCPO, for once and for all get rid of all known scams, in every resort and in BKK around the Palace areas/temples/tourist attractions.

Every tourist area (Pattaya) example local government to enforce laws regarding street cleaning/washing. Beaches to have staff paid by local admin to rake and clean.

NPCO, keep making inroads into tour bus owners, as to their employers driving standards and hours worked. Strict vehicle checks.

For once I agree with you. Normaly this time of year Thai air will have many specials on, but at the moment it seems that they are only targeting internal tourism. At present its cheaper to fly to and from Europe with Malaysia Air than Thai air.

• Like 1

All these suggestions are fine but too much money is wasted on events here. People do not spend 50,000 + baht to fly from UK to street parties-shopping malls-sales-- In a tourist driven economy they should be standard-ongoing.

My personal feeling is number 1. Thai Airways get your prices down to encourage tourist to come. If Thai were cheaper other airlines would promote to BKK, bringing passengers in---first priority.

NCPO, for once and for all get rid of all known scams, in every resort and in BKK around the Palace areas/temples/tourist attractions.

Every tourist area (Pattaya) example local government to enforce laws regarding street cleaning/washing. Beaches to have staff paid by local admin to rake and clean.

NPCO, keep making inroads into tour bus owners, as to their employers driving standards and hours worked. Strict vehicle checks.

For once I agree with you. Normaly this time of year Thai air will have many specials on, but at the moment it seems that they are only targeting internal tourism. At present its cheaper to fly to and from Europe with Malaysia Air than Thai air.

Just to confirm I have this last week booked Lufthansa- BKK-London 31,000 baht. Eva-BA second best 37,000 baht,, Emirates and Etihad 43,000 baht. low and behold Thai ON PRMOTION 47,000 baht.

Now if Thailand is looking for tourism to pick up why not start with the national carrier as the flagship ???? why are they amongst the most expensive ??? They deserve to be in the mire.

Just to confirm I have this last week booked Lufthansa- BKK-London 31,000 baht. Eva-BA second best 37,000 baht,, Emirates and Etihad 43,000 baht. low and behold Thai ON PRMOTION 47,000 baht.

Now if Thailand is looking for tourism to pick up why not start with the national carrier as the flagship ???? why are they amongst the most expensive ??? They deserve to be in the mire.

The are cheap! But only if you book Europe - Thailand return..

Prices start as low as around 599 Euro for economy return ticket nonstop with Thai or national carriers of the departure Country

I am shure that will bring tens of thousand's of tourists back to Thailand - specially under MARTIAL LAW...

Just hope they dont forget to implement it in the campaign - families like save places

These are life guards, Look at the red flags flying and rough seas, does that tell you they are caring about safety that was not there before. Maybe then later when we get a sane government we will have lifeguards on the beach to care for tourists.

The are cheap! But only if you book Europe - Thailand return..

Prices start as low as around 599 Euro for economy return ticket nonstop with Thai or national carriers of the departure Country

My price I paid was booked at the best travel shop in Udon Thani. Thai last week on promotion was 46,000 baht. BKK-LHR-BKK. My Lufthansa at 31,000 baht BKK-LHR-BKK

I think it may be a case of the left hand has done enough to hamper the right hand in this case. News of people having trouble with entry spreads quickly and translates to people not being sure whether they want foreigners visiting. RIghtly or wrongly travel advisories have not helped as now is well into the planning stage of most peoples travel.

Sorry Thailand, though it seems the place may be beter for many of the actions taken this year will be slim pickings I think,

I am looking forward to all the new TAT related threads over the next few months. Good for the morning laugh, although my couch doesn't appreciate it much when I keep spitting out my coffee while laughing!

I am looking forward to all the new TAT related threads over the next few months. Good for the morning laugh, although my couch doesn't appreciate it much when I keep spitting out my coffee while laughing!

Couch, haven't heard that for yonks, but your post is for real, all these useless people getting paid for all these promotion ideas. Scap TAT scrap most of it's bosses, and re name. fools couldn't run a raffle.

I don't think they understand, if you have no travel insurance with martial law = less and less tourists

So unless they kick the martial law in the near future and promote that then only the diehards will come.

No people wont accept Thai based insurance schemes as an alternative.

High end short time Asian tourists get spooked the most, some would think back to the all the public

disruptions like airport closures and street blockades and equate that with the current martial law and feel

things could turn worse, so why risk it.

Spend the money on attracting quality not quantity.

Apart from the minimal high end, Chinese, & Indian bus loads around Sukhumvit spend nothing, hell, some of them even bring their own food.

Just putting bums in beds is not the answer TAT, but I hear you, you gotta get your quota, <deleted>, change your ideas.

Spend the money on attracting quality not quantity.

Apart from the minimal high end, Chinese, & Indian bus loads around Sukhumvit spend nothing, hell, some of them even bring their own food.

Just putting bums in beds is not the answer TAT, but I hear you, you gotta get your quota, <deleted>, change your ideas.

Yes, but those bums in beds,surely, they're paying for those hotel rooms ? Thailand is not going to benefit if those bums in beds are going to be removed. :)

Right, tell the embassy in London and Paris to check carefully all those who apply for a tourist visa for Thailand. If they have a lot, don't give them a tourist visa. Anybody with more than two/three double/triple entry tourist visas in the passport, well, be very wary of them.

And tell the Thai embassies in Thailand's neighbouring countries to be more restrictive in handing out tourist visas to people from Europe, USA and Australia. As for Russians and South Koreans, well, don't let them apply for tourist visas unless they are back home in Russia and South Korea.

And those people who come into Thailand, and who then go to Laos or Cambodia, well, tell them that they can only stay in Thailand for 7 days if they come back into Thailand from Laos/Cambodia. They must leave Thailand after that time.
Are these ideas going to boost tourist numbers and tourist revenue in Thailand ?? :)

As Kaorop says, travel insurance does not cover any travel to countries under martial law. I speak to hoteliers all the time and all of them say this is the one thing which affects them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand