Fuel economy of modern scooters - auto vs manual

Is there much difference in fuel economy in auto and manual scooters (for the same engine cc)? I'm talking about scooters made in the last couple of years. I'm guessing a manual bike would have the edge on the highway over long distances but that doesn't apply to me. 99% of the time I will be city driving.

Wave 110i, 60Km/l

Scoopy/Click 110i, 45Km/l

It makes a big difference.

That's quite significant. I thought the gap would be narrower. Although i suppose you need to ride a lot like I do for it make $$ difference.

The autos weigh a lot more (up to 50% more) and have fatter tyres, which also reduce the mileage.

Wave 110i, 60Km/l

That's quite significant. I thought the gap would be narrower. Although i suppose you need to ride a lot like I do for it make $$ difference.

Actually, the 110cc fuel injected AT Honda's are all claiming in excess of 50km/l - but that's with a waif rider, constant (low) speed etc.. If you're only doing short trips, or riding it much faster than 60km/h, FE can drop to just 20km/l pretty quickly.

Edited by IMHO

Wave 110i, 60Km/l

I hope your comment was ironic.

Let`s say the average Wave driver is doing 5000km per year on the moped. That would be about 3166 THB for fuel, if the litre is 38 THB.

Now the Scoopy or Click driver would use an uneconomical 4222 THB, a massive lavish of 1055 THB - per year.

Divided by 12 month it is still 87.96 THB per monththumbsup.gif !

So most years have 365 days, that means you could save 2.89 Baht per day.

Think about what you could buy for that moneyfacepalm.gif .

I would recommend to buy the wave and just for fun of it drive 15000km per year, then the savings triple.

At the end of each day you have something like 10 THB savedclap2.gif.

One small bottle Purra mineral water is about 10 THB.

There are motorcy taxis on our soi with 85,000 kms on. Over that period the owner could have saved 17,943 baht that is maybe 3 or 4 payments! but off course it won't be saved as such but...

But as has been said it depends on the riding style.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

Call me "irresponsible" if you want (I've been called a lot worse), but gas mileage has never really been of a concern. I'm more performance inclined. I've got a CBR 250, and 300cc Honda Forza, and just yesterday picked up a new PCX for the wife. My thoughts on fuel economy center around - "Do I have enough to make it to the next station" - when I'm doing road trips. A couple of times I've cut that very close. My wife, on the other hand, gets paranoid if the needle on the car's gas gauge just barely touches quarter of a tank.

New scooters have highly efficient CVT transmissions with minimal friction loss and continuously operate in the most efficient RPM range. I guess there's negligible f/c difference between manual vs CVT scooters, especially in city-driving..

New scooters have highly efficient CVT transmissions with minimal friction loss and continuously operate in the most efficient RPM range. I guess there's negligible f/c difference between manual vs CVT scooters, especially in city-driving..

Think I must disagree.....smile.png

• Like 2

This is totally not the case.

This is not the case in reality, semi-auto 25% better than cvt

C'mon mate, it's a scooter not a v8.

Sorry to sound cynical, but your talking peanuts in petrol either way.

Three years ago I rode a Wave 125, changed to a Fino, the Fino fuel consumption was much more than the Wave. so I started using the Wave again, what a difference.

• Like 1

It is More then Peanuts when you factor Millions of these Automatics are now on the road...

• Like 1

I have a Yamaha 135 here and a 260 cc China scooter in the USA, hangs on the back of my RV.

They get just about the same milage, surprised me.

I also have a Proton Savvy and a Volvo S80. The savvy has a 1.2 liter engine and the Volvo a 2.9 liter beast.

I do Baht/km as my measurement and the proton uses about 2.1 baht of fuel/km and the Beast uses about 3.8 so triple the engine size and at least double the weight but only 80% more cost. Surprise again.

The RV is a 8.3 liter Cummins Dessel pushing a 38 ft RV. I get about 12 mpg with this beast or $100 per avg day of driving plus cooking my own food and dry camping is about $120/day total.

Renting a compact car for $30/day, one day of driving is about $40 for fuel, $100 for hotel, and $30 for eating. So the RV beast is cheaper than renting a compact car/hotel/eating out.

Cost per KM is not always the answer we are looking for.

Wave 110i, 60Km/l

I have a wave 110i and a click 108i the AOA figures are accurate.

I ride between Pattaya and Bangkok 2 times a week. I have been alternating the bikes to test for about 2 months now. Cut a long story short, the fuel is equal in the city and the Wave is 40 Baht cheaper to Bangkok. I think the auto box on the Click works more economically than I can make the Wave manual box work. The wave top speed 110km ,the click 103km .The Click is smooth ,The Wave has vibration but is better balanced . I always just wind them both back all the way. I think my choice would always be the Click .

• Like 1

It is More then Peanuts when you factor Millions of these Automatics are now on the road...

Those peanuts really add up if you own a gas station I suppose then you're right.

But the average person just riding from a to b is talking a couple of baht difference. Ok I get it after 10 years you could have saved thousands of baht, but big deal, most spent that saving anyway. If it was a car, I get the consideration for fuel saving, but a small scooter engine?, not worth worrying over a great deal is it?

On another note, why is it Thais never have fuel in their scooters?

I have asked a few - why put in 40 baht when you can fill it up.

Answer - save money. I only spend 40 baht now, not 80.

• Like 1

I have asked a few - why put in 40 baht when you can fill it up.

Answer - save money. I only spend 40 baht now, not 80.

...and your relatives would siphon out the other 40biggrin.png

• Like 2