Thai police reforms cause a stir

webfact

POLICE
Reforms cause a stir

THE NATION

Some welcome junta's changes, others accuse it of overstepping its role

BANGKOK: -- NATIONAL POLICE reforms introduced by the National Council for Peace and Order have already started creating ripples spreading far and wide, and also in the political arena.

Though several senior police officers and academics have welcomed the NCPO's latest announcement on changes to the police force, politicians have been expressing concern. The changes, after all, look set to diminish political office holders' role and influence in the police.

Under the reforms, it will be the national police chief, not the prime minister, who names the man for the top police job.

Also, a fairer seniority system will come into play during the nomination process.

"I think this is a good start to overhaul the Royal Thai Police. It's the first step of the change that will ensure the Royal Thai Police really belongs to the people," Deputy National Police Commissioner General Aek Angsananont said yesterday, referring to the announcements made on Monday night.

He said he certainly agreed with the new rule that allows the national police chief to nominate his successor.

"The Royal Thai Police must be free from political interference," he said.

Over the past many years, angry protesters have often complained that police served certain political office holders as even the man at the top of the Royal Thai Police could lose his post at the whim of the prime minister.

Political office holders like the justice and interior ministers had long sat on the National Police Policy Commission, which oversees reshuffling and promotions in the police ranks.

The NCPO has already addressed these issues. Under the new set-up, the prime minister will no longer be allowed to nominate a new police chief, while the justice and interior ministers will no longer be part of the National Police Policy Commission.

Commenting on the ongoing police reform, acting national police chief General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit yesterday said he wanted to thank NCPO chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha.

"Thank you for giving police chiefs the mandate to punish and reward their subordinates" based on their merit, Watcharapol said.

Assistant Professor Panadda Chumnansook, a Kasetsart University lecturer who has been conducting studies on the police force, said the NCPO's announcement was good because it would eradicate political meddling.

While no politician has openly lamented about politicians' diminishing influence over the police force, some have already complained about the NCPO's latest moves.

Pheu Thai member and former MP Somkid Chua-kong said yesterday that he disagreed with the ruling junta's intervention in police affairs.

"Please respect the police force," he said.

He even encouraged police officers to speak up against the NCPO if they did not agree with its latest moves.

"Don't stay silent. You have already lost some of your rights.

"You must do something now or else the military will overstep in other areas too," Somkid said.

Atthawit Suwannapakdee, a former Democrat MP, said he believed the NCPO had staged a politicians' reform - not police reforms.

"Police will become more powerful, while politicians go the other way," he said.

Atthawit said this meant that even if the NCPO's latest moves were successful in curbing the central government's influence over the police force, there was a risk of a police state materialising.

Some middle-ranking police officers also voiced concern about the new promotion criteria.

"What if the more senior guys aren't as dedicated as the junior ones? Some policemen may simply take their jobs for granted because as they grow old, they will |be automatically promoted," a police colonel at the Special Branch Police Division said.

But Panadda said the NCPO's moves also facilitated decentralisation and thus should improve human-resource management within the Royal Thai Police. He expects civilians to benefit in the end too. "When police have good morale, their performance should improve as well," he said.

The only question he has about the NCPO's latest move is making the permanent secretary for Defence an ex-officio member of the National Police Policy Commission.

"I'm surprised about this. On the bright side, the permanent secretary for Defence is there to promote coordination between the police and military forces. But on the other hand, the move could be seen as a [military] intervention," he said.

Those next in line

FIVE police generals qualify as candidates to succeed Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew in October.

Ranked according to seniority, they are deputy police chiefs Aek Angsananont, Pongsapat Pongcharoen; Somyot Poompanmoung and Worapong Chewprecha. The other candidate is Royal Thai Police InspectorGeneral Chalermkiat Srivorakan.

Deputy police chiefs Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit who is the caretaker police chief and Rachata Yensuang are due to retire in September, while Chatchawal Suksomjit has been appointed directorgeneral of the Department of Special Investigation.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Reforms-cause-a-stir-30238611.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-16

• Like 1

"Please respect the police force," he said.

He has a short memory. Respect the citizens and victims of terrorism by arresting the culprits. Didn't happen thus reform is needed.

"Don't stay silent. You have already lost some of your rights.

You stayed silent when asked to find the culprits of the terrist attacks. That is why reform is needed.

"Police will become more powerful, while politicians go the other way," he said.

That is the idea. We have already witnessed what damage democracy can do in the wrong hands.

It is as if the PTP and it's supporters have the memory of a goldfish. They ignore the police bias when the boss was picked by a criminal. yingluck ignores all the arrests and irregularities found in the rice scheme when she asked again for more witnesses. If only the PTP could be contained in a goldfish bowl then it would not be so bad, but alas they cannot, thus why reform is needed. They truly are an aggressive stubborn cancer (yes, yes a democratically elected cancer. I get it) that simply won't subscribe to any medication and will fight until the patient is dead.

Not arresting unelected accused terrorists, accused mass murderers and convicted criminal fugitives caused quite a stir as well. Putting the below photo up in the office of the police chief caused quite a stir as well. The Police commissioner having to investigate it to understand if it was actually against police ethics caused quite a stir as well. This is only causing a stir amongst the cookie thieves.

This reform is long overdue and we are all aware of the lack of justice for one side of the political divide due to a politically biased police force and it comes as no surprise that the PTP are complaining about it. They are the ones that used it to their advantage. They should be welcoming it. But just like a mum that puts a lock on a cookie jar the only complaints are from the cookie thief. The country and the innocent victims of the terrorist attacks are sighing a collective sigh of relief.

Again this is a stark contrast to the narrative that the Junta do not allow negative news. He have had the DEM's complain about the Junta's actions and now the PTP. Of course there will be the proverbial, BUT, BUT, BUT from some. And when this argument has been proven wrong they will move onto the next and then the next.

Just how much power would this new Police Chef have. In government there is always an opposition party to keep the leader in check. Remember it's all about the people. Too much control and away goes our rights.

A little bit of power - a little bit of control and corruption.

A lot of power - a lot of control and corruption.

Absolute power - absolute control and corruption.

This all has to be thought about from human rights and safety side. Martial/police state is a state without rights. I prefer a democracy, even if there isn't any more such a thing with the IMF running the world. .

The only complaints are coming from those that profited from the corruption. The man in Dubai has been noticeably quiet of late.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He's being patient.

Last week:

post-215015-0-72903700-1405481460_thumb.

Pheu Thai member and former MP Somkid Chua-kong said yesterday that he disagreed with the ruling junta's intervention in police affairs.

The poor guy is horrified. He is watching the NCPO dismantle the corrupt power system that the politicians have spent so much time fine-tuning, almost overnight. How will the politicians maintain power without being able to abuse the system? I would love to be a Thai-speaking fly on the wall of Dr. Thaksin's current residence. Any future Thaksin puppet government is going to have a hard time reestablishing all those power bases the NCPO is now dismantling. Hell, they might just have to work for the people to stay in power; what a concept. I am delighted with the performance and decisions of the NCPO. Is seems they know exactly what to do to break down the old, corrupt way of governing in Thailand. Dodge City will never be the same after the new sheriff has done his work.

Very well said.

the post of PM will no longer be primus inter pares it seems

I wonder why that is?whistling.gif

In government there is always an opposition party to keep the leader in check.

Last time a certain policeman was in charge he paid no heed to the opposition. coffee1.gif

Just sayin...

Edited by VocalNeal

Panadda said "the move could be seen as a [military] intervention."

Well duh, that's the whole point of a military coup and dictatorship. It's not bound by the normal democratic processes in bringing reform. But maybe he's just being careful with his criticism as the military also punishes people for being too outspoken against the coup leadership.

Some welcome junta's changes, others accuse it of overstepping its role

It's a military junta that performed a coup! What is the role of a coup junta? How does a coup junta overstep it when it can do what it wants?

there has been quite a show of police at Pattaya Beach the last few days, making sure that tourists pay the money to the jetski scammers, Im quite impressed so far

Your cynicism will fade in due course my friend; just allow your mind to free itself of the red haze that has overshadowed you in recent years...!!

The police reforms haven't filtered down to the rank and file yet.

Was asked today for a service contribution (suggested 500 B) by a police senior sergeant major in an immigration office

When I declined pointing out that things have changed now as the police had a new boss and I don't pay tea money nor support corruption I was told "Up to you wait till next time"

First time I have had a problem with that office they have always been very good and efficient although I have never dealt with that particular lady before.

"Also, a fairer seniority system will come into play during the nomination process."

There is no such thing as a "fair seniority system"... What they need is MERITOCRACY. Do a good job, don't be corrupt, and you get promoted. It's really as simple as that.

But... beatdeadhorse.gif

The police reforms haven't filtered down to the rank and file yet.

Was asked today for a service contribution (suggested 500 cool.png by a police senior sergeant major in an immigration office

When I declined pointing out that things have changed now as the police had a new boss and I don't pay tea money nor support corruption I was told "Up to you wait till next time"

First time I have had a problem with that office they have always been very good and efficient although I have never dealt with that particular lady before.

Of course you said thatcheesy.gif

If it is the first time you have had a problem, maybe the boys in green have got their teeth into it and are demanding kickbacks.I thought according to the yellow underpants brigade the corruption was allegedly being routed out not increasing!

The poor guy is horrified. He is watching the NCPO dismantle the corrupt power system that the politicians have spent so much time fine-tuning, almost overnight. How will the politicians maintain power without being able to abuse the system? I would love to be a Thai-speaking fly on the wall of Dr. Thaksin's current residence. Any future Thaksin puppet government is going to have a hard time reestablishing all those power bases the NCPO is now dismantling. Hell, they might just have to work for the people to stay in power; what a concept. I am delighted with the performance and decisions of the NCPO. Is seems they know exactly what to do to break down the old, corrupt way of governing in Thailand. Dodge City will never be the same after the new sheriff has done his work.

Very well said.

The next phase of police reform should be to move the various elements under the control of the provinces for decentralization so there is no longer a centralized police force other than DSI and other national police investigation organizations. Another issue is to move the Immigration Dept. from under the Thai Royal Police to the Interior Ministry, where it should be.

• Like 1